Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh I see, it's not on Wrestle Universe for some reason! Just loaded up abema, are there still matches to come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Jerusalem posted:

Oh I see, it's not on Wrestle Universe for some reason! Just loaded up abema, are there still matches to come?

You made it just in time for the main event. The N1 is split between shows on Abema and WU (just like last time).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This match raises a really interesting conundrum for Mutoh. Sugiura is TECHNICALLY the youngster in this match, so Mutoh's instinct to destroy the young might overwhelm his common sense.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Mutoh already muttering "gently caress" under his breath.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
we love to sit down and tie up with our pals

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like that just getting his fingertips on the ropes wasn't good enough for the ref, he wasn't breaking that hold till Sugiura got a firm grip!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I like everything about this match, but the crowd especially.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well there's the answer to that question, Mutoh decided to grace the kid with a draw.

Edit: Ahaha, for a second I didn't realize the Abema logo was a dog and thought it was a scared guy screaming :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 12, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

is there VOD for this?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

is there VOD for this?

It's probably only on Abema premium until it goes onto Universe next week, but it's already on bilibili

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Dh411H7wR

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

It's probably only on Abema premium until it goes onto Universe next week, but it's already on bilibili

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Dh411H7wR

Appreciate it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

N-1 Victory Thoughts

1) Aleja, Haoh, and Tadasuke vs Fujimura, Yano, and Miyawaki. Tadasuke is such a meatball goof. Fun fast opener. Aleja is bloody good. Yano and Fujimura are coming along nicely. Haoh is such an excellent utility player. Put him anywhere and he will be absolutely solid in that role. Tadasuke was having a lot of fun in this one. At one point he was so excited to do a lariat that he jumped up and down.

2) Kitamiya vs Fujita. No standstill on this one, directly into power grappling. Some of these shoulder charges sound like they could dislocate something. Finally Kitamiya gets Fujita off his feet. Some real walloping strikes here. Fujita is by no means an athletic phenomenon any more, but he's a hard brutal bruiser and ultimately proves too much for Kitamiya to get past.

3) Kenoh vs Kendo Kashin. Kenoh is as good as Kenoh always is. Kashin is very bland. Most of this match is fine but ignorable. Kashin wins for some reason.

4) Yoshioka and Susume vs Kotoge and Ohara excellent hard hitting Jrs tag as can be expected from these guys. Everyone has declared everyone else's neck to be a mortal enemy. Some nailbiting pin attempts and finally the momo boys get the titles.

5) Nakajima vs Tanaka. This is fun. Tanaka hasn't aged so much as he's seasoned, and Nakajima is incredible. The two of them whack the living crap out of each other. Not much to say other than "this was really good".

6) Mutoh vs Sugiura. A battle for the aged. I mean the ages. Sugiura is capable of a much better pace than Mutoh, but Noah want to keep Mutoh looking strong, to Sugiura matches his pace. Lots of ground game and rest holds, not much in the way of bumps and high spots. There's a leg submission on the floor that lasts for about seven and a half years. There's enjoyable drama in here, but the necessity for this to be a time limit draw just ended up with Sugiura looking like he couldn't quite get the job done.

All in all, a good opening show with some great matches, but having a tournament start with 4 matches where the older guy wins (and the youngest victor was 48) gives me misgivings.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Second year in a row they've done a time limit draw on Night 1, although last year's was Kiyomiya/Mochizuki so it was infinitely more watchable to me than Mutoh/Sugiura. Glad I predicted Kashin beating Kenoh, but I hoped his reaction would be even pissier (also hope that those are the only points Kashin gets). Next show is on Saturday and for now is scheduled at 7pm JST (6am EDT) on Wrestle Universe

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat I can't believe I missed this, and I have to wait a whole week for another?!

I'll check the VOD.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Since the titles changed hands again today, I decided to go back to one of my favourite subjects, the junior division. In the past 2 years there have been 11 title changes (with one vacate when Hayata turned on Yo-Hey) between three different stables. What's interesting to me is that the team makeup for the champions keeps changing since really no one really has designated tag partners (with the exception of Nioh/Haoh, but even Haoh challenged for the belts with Tadasuke last month. Maybe Hayata/Ogawa but Hayata is busy being the singles champ atm). I used to consider Kotoge/Harada as designated partners since the fall of RATEL's and Kotoge's expulsion from Full Throttle, yet both of them have won the belt with Ohara this year. Also interesting that Kongoh haven't held the belts yet despite being the most cohesive unit in the division, Full Throttle never held it but they were a mess for the less than a year they existed.

quote:

Stinger (Ogawa/Suzuki)
RATELs (Harada/Tadasuke)
Stinger (Kotoge/Suzuki)
RATELs (Hayata/Yo-Hey)
Vacant
Stinger (Hayata/Ogawa)
Momo no Seishun (Kotoge/Harada)
Stinger (Hayata/Ogawa)
Momo no Seishun (Ohara/Harada)
Stinger (Yoshioka/Susumu)
Momo No Seishun (Ohara/Kotoge)

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SG Bamboo posted:

Kongoh haven't held the belts yet despite being the most cohesive unit in the division, Full Throttle never held it but they were a mess for the less than a year they existed.

Neither team was / is able to reach the critical mass of chaos necessary to win the Junior titles.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

J-Ro posted:

Neither team was / is able to reach the critical mass of chaos necessary to win the Junior titles.

The ideal NOAH Juniors champions consists of two people who have held the tag titles before, but not with each other, and will go on to hold them again, but not with each other.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SG Bamboo posted:

Next show is on Saturday and for now is scheduled at 7pm JST (6am EDT) on Wrestle Universe

I keep forgetting Wrestle Universe automatically changes things to Perth time for me, so I made a mistake here. The show actually starts an hour later than I thought, 8pm JST (7am EDT) or 3 hours after the opening round of the G1

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

I keep forgetting Wrestle Universe automatically changes things to Perth time for me, so I made a mistake here. The show actually starts an hour later than I thought, 8pm JST (7am EDT) or 3 hours after the opening round of the G1

I go on holiday on Saturday. By the time I get to my hotel in Spain I'll have Rampage, night 1 of the G1 and night 2 of the N-1 to watch. Thankfully I'll have the next week to watch as much as I want.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Just over 6 hours until tonights show, and even without a crowd it should be real sweet.

A - Kaito Kiyomiya vs Manabu Soya
B - Masaaki Mochizuki vs Daiki Inaba
C - Kazushi Sakuraba vs Kotaro Suzuki
D - Masakatsu Funaki vs Akitoshi Saito

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's gonna be a hell of a thing jumping from Okada/Tanahashi (albeit with a crowd that can't fully express themselves) to an empty arena show but I'm hoping to ride a wave of Puro excitement from G1 to N1 :)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

It's gonna be a hell of a thing jumping from Okada/Tanahashi (albeit with a crowd that can't fully express themselves) to an empty arena show but I'm hoping to ride a wave of Puro excitement from G1 to N1 :)

Hopefully Mocchy/Inaba or Funaki/Saito will be going on first and they'll set the mood by just battering the poo poo out of each other in the NOAH Fight Club

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Alright, New Japan ruled. Let's see how empty arena wrestling holds up.

I expect strikes to echo through the arena, you are all on notice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp, G1 was fantastic, looking forward to some N1 now!

What a time to be alive.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We are live.

More wrestling :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

We are live.

More wrestling :neckbeard:

Thank God, that was a rough 20 minutes!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

drat these announcers, get to the wrestles already, I need my fix :argh:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hell yeah, old man battle to start

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Saito Akitoshi has reached the grand old age of -

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Saito Akitoshi has reached the grand old age of -

It wrapped around and resulted in a negative integer, technicians are scrambling to fix

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

It wrapped around and resulted in a negative integer, technicians are scrambling to fix

Yeah but then Texas got involved and now it's a whole thing.

I like how 52-year-old Funaki looks like the young, spry guy in this match.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

I like how 52-year-old Funaki looks like the young, spry guy in this match.

For sure, Funaki does not look like a guy with a 30 year career and 50 MMA fights

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It took a little while, but we got to the sweet kicks and that super loud slap

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Already better refereeing in this tournament than NJPW

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus that spin kick.

algebra testes posted:

Sure, but stop watching the local kids' street football game and tell us what you think of the N1 match!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

algebra testes posted:

It's a good thing this is a heavyweight tournament so there's far less chance of shenanigans. If we let NOSAWA and Tadasuke in here the refs would be overwhelmed.

That was solid, took a little while to get started but didn't outstay it's welcome. Not bad old men

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last Suzuki Match I saw was Suzuki v Eddie Edwards from a decade ago. I'm sure he's still the same guy.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Suzuki is carrying the flag for the Junior heavyweight division in this tournament. He looked good in the awesome elimination match on the preview show, even eliminating Nakajima, but if he tries to grapple with Sakuraba here he has absolutely no chance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

How is that Sakuraba looks younger to me now than he did in New Japan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Clearly submissions were not the answer, so lets just hit each other until one guy falls down