Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

CommonShore posted:

Fight Night Brunson vs Till Breakdown

:siren:Note that this starts at a weird time – Afternoon card!

Main Card
Middleweight Derek Brunson vs Darren Till
Usually when we call a fighter “forgettable” it’s a derogatory shot. It means “that guy isn’t worth the effort of remembering.” In Derek Brunson’s case though, it’s more like some kind of curse or a power out of a Vampire: The Masquerade game – he defies our ability to remember him, somehow. Whenever I’m having a conversation about the middleweight rankings I’ll stop and go “ok, Cannonier, Gastelum, Whittaker… Hermansson… that Heinish guy… they let Yoel go… Shahbazyan lost...” And then I’ll open up a rankings page and there he’ll be, right in front of my face: Derek Brunson, #5 UFC Middleweight. I just entirely forget that he exists until fate puts him in front of me. That’s a shame because Brunson is a good fighter and has done some cool things. He has a wrestling base, but accurate and extremely powerful hands – he’s one of two fighters I know of to put up a streak of four first-round KOs in the UFC, and the other one is Francis Ngannou. Right now he’s on a four-fight streak against solid but not top-tier competition, including Kevin Holland and a TKO of Shahbazyan – who I remembered had lost twice without being able to remember that Derek Brunson was the one to take his zero. Poor Brunson even dyed his hair blonde to try to get people to remember him, and that just made all of us go “Wow, he looks like Melvin Guillard,” and we sit there remembering a fighter with fewer UFC wins than Derek Brunson. We even forget that Brunson had Whittaker really hurt before Whittaker completely smoked him.

The forgetting doesn’t always work against Brunson, though, because I also forget that he got KOed by Israel Adesanya (lasting 2 seconds longer than Guillard did) when I’m looking at the rankings. But that’s the story of Brunson’s career. Aside from an early career decision loss to Kendall Grove and a “robbery of the year” loss to Anderson Silva, Brunson has either wrestled or KOed everyone but the championship-tier fighters who have been able to knock him out: Adesanya, Jacare, Whittaker, and Romero.

Till is ah, idk. I find Till to be pretty overrated, though someone in the UFC likes him. He exploded into the UFC as a gigantic welterweight striker who missed weight in 40% of his matches, but Till still managed to book a submission loss to Tyron Woodley in a title fight. Since then he has gone 1-2 with a flashy KO loss to Masvidal, a contentious middleweight decision win over Gastelum, and a comfortable UD loss to Whittaker. Since then he has withdrawn from two bouts due to injury.

Heavyweight Tom Aspinall vs Sergey Spivak
Aspinall is a British heavyweight on the rise. That he’s a 3-0 heavyweight with a 100% finish rate makes him stand out – he even submitted Arlovski in February. He’s a grappler, but he mostly uses that positionally to rain death and get TKOs. Spivak is a trashy as gently caress Moldovan trashweight and I love him for it. He’s 4-2 in the UFC with a UD win over Oleinik in his last bout. This is a showcase, nearly a transparent setup for Aspinall to move into title contention.

Flyweight Alex Perez vs Matt Schnell
According to Tapology this bout might have been rescheduled so I’ll be brief. These are a couple more forgotten guys who are pretty good. Perez is the guy who Leg Kick TKOed Formiga and then got steamrolled in DFigs’s first title defense. Schnell has bounced between 25 and 35 and picked up some submission wins along with a few losses to guys like Rob Font and Pantoja.

Welterweight Alex Morono vs David Zawada
Morono is that Powder-lookin’ dude who beat Cowboy on super short notice. He’s a grappler who brawls instead of grappling. He’s also the coach of that weirdo who won Bantamweight tuf this weekend. He’s pretty much a textbook journeyman beyond that. Zawada is a German KSW vet whose only UFC win is vs the crappy Nurmagomedov.

Light Heavyweight Modestas Bukauskas vs Khalil Rountree Jr
Modestas is that Romanian guy who won a fight when his opponent fell through the gate. Since then he has gone 0-2 against Crute and Oleksiejczuk. Rountree (I thought he retired) is a muay thai striker whose career high point is just pasting Gokhan Saki in what was supposed to be the former’s showcase bout. He’s 8-5 (1) career.

:siren:Lightweight Paddy Pimblett vs Luigi Vendramini
Paddy the Baddy is in the UFC! Paddy has long been promoted (by other people, not by me, mind you – I’m just repeating this for context) as Liverpool’s Conor McGregor – he’s a Cage Warriors veteran and former lightweight champion with b-league wins over known quantities like Julian Erosa. Famously, he turned down a UFC contract earlier in his career to keep fighting in Cage Warriors where he was apparently making more money than the UFC was offering. He’s a grappler who does weird poo poo, and the British crowds seem to love him. Brazilian Vendramini is 1-2 in the UFC. He lost to Elizu Zaleski on short notice but hasn’t been memorable beyond that. I put a siren on this because this could be a future star’s debut.

Prelims
Flyweight Molly McCann vs Ji Yeon Kim
Meatball Molly gets another chance. She seems like a cool person, but she has lost two fairly decisive decisions in a row and doesn’t have many noteworthy career victories. She’s popular in the UK though. Korean Kim (geez somehow forgettable fighters is today’s theme) is also 3-3 in the UFC, most recently losing a decision to Alexa Grasso. She has missed weight a lot, too.

Bantamweight Jack Shore vs Liudvik Sholinian
Undefeated Shore is a Welsh Cage Warriors champ. He’s 3-0 in the UFC, starting with two (as I recall) blow-out submission wins but then a razor thin decision vs Hunter Azure, the first proper American wrestler who he faced. Sholinian is a 9-1 Ukrainian making his debut. I don’t recognize any of his opponents but he has fought in Bellator and LFA.

:siren: Featherweight Julian Erosa vs Charles Jourdain
Well that’s a coincidence. Erosa is a decent fighter who made his debut by submitting Sean Woodson on short notice, and then KOing Nate Landwehr in a disputed stoppage before just getting KOed in his 3rd bout. Jourdain is a French-Canadian brawler who has a rad fight with Andre Fili and a KO of Superboy. Extremely fun booking.

Middleweight Dalcha Lungiambula vs Marc-Andre Barriault
Sometimes I need to rely on the pictures before I remember people. Lungiambula is a 2-1 Congolese fighter with some vicious hands that he isn’t great at setting up. He beat Markus Perez in January. Barriault is a Canadian TKO product who started his UFC career 0-3 (1) with a failed drug test, which may have been due to contamination. He KOed Abu Azaitar in March but I don’t remember that.

Bantamweight Jonathan Martinez vs Marcelo Rojo
Martinez is a glass cannon. He somehow managed to lose to Soukhamthath and Davey Grant, but also to KO Frankie Saenz. His fights are usually fun. Rojo is a 16-7 Argentinian who I suspect got into the UFC by being willing to get KOed by Charles Jourdain on short notice.

Not sure if happening?
Lightweight Marc Diakase vs Rafael Alvez
Diakase is a good English kickboxer but hit-and-miss with his wins. He’s a lot like Bobby Green in that respect, also in that he lost a decision to Fiziev. Alvez is a Brazilian Journeyman who came from DWCS and then lost his debut.

Light Heavyweight Paul Craig vs someone other than Alexander Gustaffson
Paul “The Bear Jew” Craig is not a bear and not a Jew. He is a Scottish grappler who has some very good come from behind wins. His opponent is not Alexander Gustaffson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
the fights, she are live

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
hahaha what a cool combo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
bonk

Dalcha's corner telling him if he wins this round he wins the fight, I disagree.

Maybe they think the groin shot counts as a knockdown?

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 4, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Barriault looking really good out there. I hate how there's 30 warnings before someone loses a point for cheating.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:peanut:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

that was a great round. erosa doing a lot of work off of those caught kicks

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Holy gently caress what a comeback

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
McCann is always so loving fun to watch

cornlog
May 1, 2008
Show Till dropping everyone with the left hand. Hits Gastellum with the same left and all Gastellum does is turn his head.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

what a banger fight

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

loving aye what a fight :stare:

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Man, Paddy flipped the violence switch.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

my feed censored a good 5-6 second chunk of what he said after he called himself a scouser, anyone remember what it was?

also his voice reminds me of Cuno from Disco Elysium. paddy's riding the loving lightning

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My boy paddy is the loving Boy

hrollins
May 20, 2003
LEG KICK TKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
AAAHH

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

nasty poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
gently caress me poor guy gets his nose rearranged and then has the fight end that way

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The TKO trend in MMA has swung from trying to remove their head to trying to remove their career :ohdear:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

hrollins posted:

LEG KICK TKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The absolute best sort of tko. Khalil looked motivated as heck

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Did you work on hospitalizing people?

Yes.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Bisping: obviously not the finish you were looking for

Rountree: yeah, I meant to do that poo poo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/JackSlackMMA/status/1434258180465467394?s=19

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm not totally happy with intentionally trying to severely injure someone like that. Like yeah it's fighting and you're trying to hurt the other guy's brain but still not great imo.

hrollins
May 20, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm not totally happy with intentionally trying to severely injure someone like that. Like yeah it's fighting and you're trying to hurt the other guy's brain but still not great imo.

In his defense, it's legal. They should've taken it out of MMA when Jon Jones popularized it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

On the other hand I was glad to see zero followup shots, dude fully backed off knowing he'd won it there.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Well that was quick, English Frank Mir is pretty loving good.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Aspinall really does look slick as hell.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Where do you draw the line then?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
3 northerners getting wins, only Till left for the perfect streak. :pray:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Where do you draw the line then?

I'd be OK with just banning that particular attack. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to cripple your opponent, with no opportunity to tap.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

I'd be OK with just banning that particular attack. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to cripple your opponent, with no opportunity to tap.

Yeah, a lot of these guys refuse to tap anyway and in this case tapping would be throwing your arms up during the stand up and going "I'm out, gently caress this" which is absolutely never going to happen.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Plenty of things can end a fight with no opportunity to tap though. The purpose it serves is to win the fight, similar to all submissions, a BRH, a kick to the ribs, a slam takedown etc.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Can’t believe Till is still conscious

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

VagueRant posted:

3 northerners getting wins, only Till left for the perfect streak. :pray:
Well poo poo, I jinxed it. 2-0.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nierbo posted:

Plenty of things can end a fight with no opportunity to tap though. The purpose it serves is to win the fight, similar to all submissions, a BRH, a kick to the ribs, a slam takedown etc.

Oh yeah, for sure, my objection to it is with how bad it fucks you up, but this is also the sport where you get brain damage real bad 20 times in 15 minutes so I will admit it is not a very useful metric and I could be very biased from having hosed knees.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Thought Til could've got a darce choke there and then it all went downhill so quick. :smith:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

That was a crazy ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Pretty good card overall, no real boring fights to speak of.