Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sigher posted:

It's really quick and painless, I had it done several years ago and it's one of the best decisions I've made in my life. The worst part is the smell of your lenses being reshaped, it smells like burnt hair. But other than that it's done with in like 10 minutes and you heal really loving quickly. Now I can loving see when I wake up and not look for my glasses, enjoy concerts without the fear of my glasses being knocked off by a lovely crowd (I've had this happen and it was hosed), and swim/snorkle and be able to enjoy seeing poo poo underwater.

They put some Clockwork Orange thing on your eye to keep the lids from closing.

drat that sounds so good lol. This thread just convinced me to live spartan the next few months so I can fix my loving eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sigher posted:

They put some Clockwork Orange thing on your eye to keep the lids from closing.

Yep, exactly the same thing

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Other thing to keep in mind: around your mid 40s, your eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be, that's about the leading edge of when people need bifocals or progressives (or reading glasses). LASIK isn't gonna stop that, but obvs it can put you at a spot you might merely need readers vs glasses all day every day

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You can take my motherfucking glasses when you pry them out of my cold dead glasses retention system.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mercenarynuker posted:

Other thing to keep in mind: around your mid 40s, your eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be, that's about the leading edge of when people need bifocals or progressives (or reading glasses). LASIK isn't gonna stop that, but obvs it can put you at a spot you might merely need readers vs glasses all day every day

This is exactly the reason I got it. When it starts I'd like to do it from a 20/20 baseline instead of near legal blindness

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Same, my vision was already turbofucked and I couldn't see further than a foot or so without things blurring out of focus. I'm 34 now, if I need readers in 6 years then so be it, but at least I'll be able to do most things normally without requiring glasses.

I mean, god almighty one of the biggest changes I experienced was being able to shower without having to fumble for poo poo and seeing what spots on my body I've hit with the scrub. Not squinting like Clint Eastwood all the time just to look for things when I don't have my glasses on is amazing.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Again I don't remember exactly how long, no more than a few minutes. If you have any sort of anxiety issues definitely take some Xanax or something because all they gave me were like 0.1 valium which didn't do jack poo poo lol

I don't remember my prescription, but it wasn't horrible. I tried contacts but I was too much of a wuss to even take the 3-day trial contacts out myself, and had to go back.

Got LASIK when I was around 26, and I'm pushing 40, and I think reading glasses could help me, but they aren't a necessity right now.

Since mine wasn't horrible I had to stare at the red dot for like 11 seconds per eye. And yeah, they gave me valium. Like, literally 5 minutes before they called me back from the procedure. It went along, I smelled it. And even though they said it wouldn't be painful afterwards, I wouldn't of been able to drive myself home, it felt like I had sand in my eye. (e-note, it wasn't extremely painful, but it felt okay if I just kept my eyes closed. I could of driven, if I had to)

But you go to sleep when you get home, and then boom, you're on your way to being an improved human being.

I may look at it again, but I don't know about age restrictions and all that.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 6, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've been to the eye doctor every workday for over 20 years, I'm an optician and former optical lab tech.

I have some friends who did lasik and loved it, but I'm comfortable with the world being a little fuzzy for a while when I get up, before I'm assaulted with sharpness.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Plus I was actually anxious to start wearing progressive lenses so I could relate to my patients.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Do u know what the exact rating your eyes were or whatever? Mine are dogshit, like -7, but that's still within the range they can do it

im the same and also want laser eye surgeries lets get matching appointments

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Derpies posted:

im the same and also want laser eye surgeries lets get matching appointments

Hell yeah let's fix our useless eyes together

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got my blue blocking glasses from amazon in the mail today and they look really dumb abd i want to shove myself in a locker when i look in a mirror but luckily the only time id need them is driving at night i guess

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

I got my blue blocking glasses from amazon in the mail today and they look really dumb abd i want to shove myself in a locker when i look in a mirror but luckily the only time id need them is driving at night i guess

lol loving nerd

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nooner posted:

*gives swirly*

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

For US posters check this https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/lasik/what-lasik

Below a personal experience:

A LASIK provider will scan your eyes, measure if your cornea is deep enough, and check if you have the USD 5k to pay them.

Then they give you valium, lay you down, cut a flap on your cornea, pull it up, suck your eyeball, and beam it for 5 secs before pulling the flap back down. Repeat for other eye. Result should be the same vision you had previously with glasses, but without glasses. You also get dry eyes as the nerves on your eyes just got sliced and burned and don't know what the gently caress.

You see clearly immediately when the flap is pulled down. When the flap is up during the operation you don't see poo poo, you just stare at the red dot. So then you get someone to take you home and tuck you in for post-surgery napping for a good start to the healing process. Follow-up vision tests the next day, the next week, the next three months, and the next year.

Afterwards your brain takes about 3 months to get over it and to adapt, but because of the flap you see strange halos at night if your pupils dilate beyond the size of the flap and you can also see glares and starbursts when looking at traffic lights etc...

Overall if you hate your glasses or contacts and have problems when sleeping on a bus or an aeroplane, or forget where you left them and cant see poo poo, and you hate going to the pool or beach or playing ball and other sports, then yeah why not. Of course there's always a risk with any surgery, be it the machine breaking down, the doctor having a seizure, or your cornea, nerves, or brain doing something creative, but that's it.

The crazy part is when you get up from under the laser and see just fine immediately, but without any glasses. Then out of habit you keep adjusting your ghost glasses for a while now and then, and sometimes in the morning you reach out for them like the dope you are.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

A LASIK provider will scan your eyes, measure if your cornea is deep enough,

Speaking of this:

So if your cornea isn't deep enough there still is an option for you, it's called PRK. I don't know if this is still the case but my friend had it done some 10~ years ago. If the cornea is too thin than they can't make the "flap" that they lift and place back down, they just cut it off and when you're done with the operation you're eyes are left to heal up by themselves and create new tissue. However, my friend said that the healing process for this was loving awful pain for 3 or so weeks (if not longer, I don't remember) and he felt like his eyes were just being stabbed constantly.

I don't know if PRK is still a "thing" anymore but if the doctor says that's the only option be forewarned.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

LMAO we don't need eyes where we are going, op

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was supposed to go but then COVID

Last time I was there they told me that I would need glasses by the time I was 40

They also told me I have a freckle/ mole behind my eye and measured it. I live in constant fear of behind-the-eye cancer :(

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The posts in this thread have convinced me I could never get laser eye surgery. I am very squeamish about the idea of anything touching my eyes. I don't even like to see ads for contact lenses.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The eye doctor? No, haven't seen them for a while :haw:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
PRK was super worth it go get your eyeballs blasted with lasers if you can scrounge up enough cash. Also don't be an idiot and follow the aftercare regime and report any strange feelings or visual effects, I've nearly ended up in ER because of an unexpected reaction to 'roid drops. Still went from -4ish in both eyes to 20/20.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Hammerite posted:

The posts in this thread have convinced me I could never get laser eye surgery. I am very squeamish about the idea of anything touching my eyes. I don't even like to see ads for contact lenses.

Yeah, that's the worst thing. Also reading up on the complications is a great source of additional anxiety.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Don't worry the only thing touching your eye is going to be a pure laser beam as you stare directly into it :hellyeah:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Throughout my life I could tell my eyes were vaguely not up to snuff, my whole immediate and extended family had glasses and by highschool I tended to sit closer to the front of the class for ease of reading the board. I got my eyes checked annually and it was always the same response “eh you could get glasses but do you need em, not really?”

Trend basically continued that way, first I could see at 20 what others could see at 24, then 27, then 30, down to about 40 when I got it checked the other year. I still got by just fine, really the only time I super noticed it was when trying to read signs farther away, street signs in the dark was a big one. My near vision was still perfect so reading my phone book or computer was easy which let’s be real is what I spend most of my time doing.

So on an edge case of “do I really need glasses?” Even now the doctors were like if you don’t want em you seem to get by fine, I decided to give up being the last man in my fam without em.

It’s like night and day, it’s crazy how different the world looks. I basically never take them off and don’t really understand how I put up with it before. I’ve had them for a bit over a year and just snagged some prescription sunglasses too.

Wearing glasses doesn’t feel too cumbersome to me, maybe it’s because I know I can just take em off at any time and still be totally functional, so at least until my eyes get worse I wouldn’t considered zapping them with lasers, but any goons on the fence about switching to a bespectacled look, I would absolutely recommend.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I started getting headaches and it turned out it was because I was straining my eyes the entire time. The optometrist told me I was a dumbass for not coming in five years earlier. It was crazy how I could suddenly read things in the distance and how much longer I could pay attention looking at the board during a uni lecture. Luckily i also look hotter in glasses.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

mercenarynuker posted:

Real talk, dude, go back and have your optician (hell, nearly any optician) adjust them. Nosepads should sit along the contours of your nose. What you are describing is like textbook "nosepads too tight" or "nosepads not matching slope of nose". Goddamn, don't suffer with your glasses. poo poo, if it's really bad, have them put some larger nosepads on, it'll spread out weight a little more, kind of like a snowshoe does

I'm perfectly fine with using my old glasses. I wasn't experiencing any headaches or strain, my prescription didn't change much, and I only really got them because my folks were nagging me to update my Rx. I'm fine with using the old ones for another year.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Apparently they use a laser now but I remember they used to put this metal thing thumb slider on your eye and slide it back and forth and that was what created the flap. It looked like some serious medieval poo poo.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

Apparently they use a laser now but I remember they used to put this metal thing thumb slider on your eye and slide it back and forth and that was what created the flap. It looked like some serious medieval poo poo.

lol this is giving me flashbacks. i'm pretty sure they physically cut the flap. but this was like 15 years ago, too.

I have an extreme eye phobia, and I managed, it was scary as gently caress for about 5 minutes, and i just listened to music in my head and stared at the Eye of God. (lil' red dot)

it's totally worth it, though. I never wore my glasses, and poo poo sucked. I got in trouble with the military though, since I was their property, and didn't tell them I was going to do it. Hah.
They wouldn't pay for it since they said it wasn't bad enough, so I just did it on my own.

lol stolen from the Cursed Image thread:

RatHat posted:

Reminds me of this cursed Simpsons scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwHydEgzAA

But really, it's not bad.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 6, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

AHH F/UGH posted:

I was watching the operation of a guy before me, and they just used some kind of a scalpel I think. Although maybe it was just a tool for flipping the flap open :pwn:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
real eyes realize the real lies op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Professor Shark posted:

I was supposed to go but then COVID

Last time I was there they told me that I would need glasses by the time I was 40

They also told me I have a freckle/ mole behind my eye and measured it. I live in constant fear of behind-the-eye cancer :(

I had one of those about 5 years back and it disappeared on its own and has never shown up again.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also obligatory video of me getting LASIK

https://youtu.be/EOvAMUEo3-8

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have really good insurance and get new frames + contacts every year. It's almost that time so thanks for reminding me!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm an incredibly cheap dumbass so I only go when my glasses disintegrate off my head. My vision hasn't really changed between the 3 or 4 odd times I've gone.

I wanted to get sunglasses from Costco and they looked at my prescription and said that's expired, we can't fill that, it's dangerous.

What like the glasses on my head right now are gonna kill me? Just tell me straight up you need the optometrist to stay in the business, it's cool, I'm just gonna buy strange Chinese sunglasses instead.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

For US posters check this https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/lasik/what-lasik

Below a personal experience:

A LASIK provider will scan your eyes, measure if your cornea is deep enough, and check if you have the USD 5k to pay them.

Then they give you valium, lay you down, cut a flap on your cornea, pull it up, suck your eyeball, and beam it for 5 secs before pulling the flap back down. Repeat for other eye. Result should be the same vision you had previously with glasses, but without glasses. You also get dry eyes as the nerves on your eyes just got sliced and burned and don't know what the gently caress.

You see clearly immediately when the flap is pulled down. When the flap is up during the operation you don't see poo poo, you just stare at the red dot. So then you get someone to take you home and tuck you in for post-surgery napping for a good start to the healing process. Follow-up vision tests the next day, the next week, the next three months, and the next year.

Afterwards your brain takes about 3 months to get over it and to adapt, but because of the flap you see strange halos at night if your pupils dilate beyond the size of the flap and you can also see glares and starbursts when looking at traffic lights etc...

Overall if you hate your glasses or contacts and have problems when sleeping on a bus or an aeroplane, or forget where you left them and cant see poo poo, and you hate going to the pool or beach or playing ball and other sports, then yeah why not. Of course there's always a risk with any surgery, be it the machine breaking down, the doctor having a seizure, or your cornea, nerves, or brain doing something creative, but that's it.

The crazy part is when you get up from under the laser and see just fine immediately, but without any glasses. Then out of habit you keep adjusting your ghost glasses for a while now and then, and sometimes in the morning you reach out for them like the dope you are.

I would rather be fully and completely blind than go through this, every word of this is absolutely mortifying to me this sounds like one of my worst nightmares. I need to be more protective of my good eye and stop staring at screens and poo poo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For what it's worth they used a laser to cut my eye flap but tweezers to actually move it out of the way. It sucked.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just do PRK, they don't bother with the flap and instead use a hard electric toothbrush to scrape off the top layer of your eyeball :xd:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I used to not like having glasses but now I appreciate how well they obscure the area under my eyes where it's somehow even more ugly than the rest of my face

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol if you're not used to someone peeling back your tiny flap with a pair of tweezers by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would rather be fully and completely blind than go through this, every word of this is absolutely mortifying to me this sounds like one of my worst nightmares. I need to be more protective of my good eye and stop staring at screens and poo poo

Bad eyesight is degenerative, it has nothing to do about being protective of your eyes or watching too much stuff. I needed glasses at 10, if not earlier, it's just lovely genetics. It's the easiest medical procedure I've ever done, I'd rather do that again than get a cavity filed. It sounds bad but you don't feel anything or see anything (once the flap is lifted your vision is just super blurry).