Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah but what happens if he doesn't?

Anyone have a screenshot of the scroll? I didn't notice anything on there about it. It seems odd that there is no explicit penalty for noncompliance

Or what happens if an idol holder goes home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Doesn't matter, once it's been said that's all that's needed. So it seems, at least

If someone finds it after immunity challenge and then goes home with it I guess they just hide another one

Right, that makes sense. Now I wanna see Xander have no vote until merge, then find the other two idols, sound deranged at the subsequent challenge, then wander around jingling his three activated idols.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slev posted:

That beware idol would be way more interesting if you only lose your vote after the first time you say the phrase.

By the merge Jeff is going to have to spend 10 minutes before tribal council recapping all the advantages and disadvantages the players have.

Speaking of, I am not enjoying Jeff looking down the barrel and saying not much. I love seeing behind the scenes stuff like how the crew works, what it looks like to have every little group followed by at least one camera, how the challenges are set up, etc. Seemed like that was the idea from episode one. But instead it's like "oh did you fall asleep, lemme catch you up real quick".

Like my favourite Survivor moment was that challenge digging in the sand when it was super hot out, and four players collapsed at once, so they deputized the entire crew as medics and fell back to a static shot from a camera on some tower. Could see the whole set, it was really cool. I want more of that, if Jeff's gonna talk to us directly all the time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ah ok, you have to say it at the next one after you find it. Can't just sit on it and wait for someone else to go first.

I'm curious about "they will reply with their secret phrase". Sounds like you have to reply if you hear another, though it's phrased like an implicit threat?

So once the third one is taken, they should all activate at the next immunity challenge. Seems pretty fair to me. And there's a little bit of cross-tribe contact, so you might be able to pass along a hint to hurry it up if you're desperate to get your vote back.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

20 seems to be returning cast members and I worry that if I watch it, I'd be potentially spoiling any of the previous 20 seasons and don't want to do that if there are some great ones in the early years.

This was the first season I ever watched, and I really enjoyed going back to earlier seasons and being all "oh so THAT'S what that player was like". There will be spoilers, I don't remember if the show literally puts "season X champion" directly under people's names but I'm sure people talk on camera about e.g. "when X won their season".

Having now watched a haphazard ~half of the seasons, I'm far less interested in who wins, so being spoiled on that doesn't affect my enjoyment. Totally understand the desire to avoid spoilers though, not saying you're doing it wrong! But doing it "backwards" was very enjoyable.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

njsykora posted:

Also one of the producers said on twitter that Xander also can’t use his dice while he doesn’t have a vote. He’s completely powerless.

Oh that's cool. I didn't even think about that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Arbite posted:

Has uninterrupted/unedited footage of a challenge ever been released? Like from the moment the survivors walk up to the moment they all leave without skipping a moment?

I don't remember seeing anything like this but I'd also be interested. Especially for any challenge other than the extremely boring "hold on to this pole for as long as you can"-style endurance ones. (I think they add worthwhile variance to the game, but they're television poison.)

I remember Yau-Man saying that there's time to ask producers questions about rules before you start, both as a group and individually (so you don't give away your strategy). You aren't allowed to touch or otherwise examine anything before the challenge starts. And challenge equipment frequently breaks, at which point everyone has to freeze in place while the crew fixes it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Otteration posted:

Lord have mercy, I forgot about all that other crap. Still have the stupid dice too.

Could have sworn Jeff said they were going ro simplify this season. :kingsley:

Maybe it's simplified compared to whatever challenge-adjacent intertribe market economy system he was dreaming up in the offseason?

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I’m not too down on the season but I didn’t need to see 3 separate people finding the exact same item dropped in the middle of the camp

By the third time I wanted instead to see a crew member toss the item lightly into a contestant's face. "Did ya catch that? Eh? That lil package there? Eh? Eh? Wanna open it?"

Dugong posted:

If they’re going to have this many advantages they should just lean into more with some Genius style editing. Also really glad that Jeff discovered the prisoners’ dilemma in 2021.

I had the same thought, then was immediately wistful for how clearly they laid out the rules of each game on The Genius. Gets it out of the way instead of guessing how stuff works with a blurry screenshot of unrolled parchment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I felt like more contestants than usual looked shaky in that challenge. There's almost always someone moving slow or wobbling around, but I saw at least three and we were only on day 7 (?).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Winners At War a solid time?

I enjoyed it!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Two tribes One Beach? It was a fun concept the 1 time they tried it, just a shithead cast member.

No we're going back to basics this season. Four tribes one beach!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bandwidth leeching? Was that the term? And yeah it used to be probate-able, so I'm not surprised a longtime user would instinctively avoid it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sighence posted:

Genuinely loving done with the whisper chaos. Y'all got played and didn't have a plan for your side's fuckup, that's on you. Next season they should lose their vote if they stand up before Jeff tells them to.

Same. It was funny the first time (a few seasons ago now?), and for the rest of that season yeah ok. I'm over it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this episode, but I did a big eyeroll when they jumped out of their seats.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Are we sure this Heather person's name isn't actually Kelly?

My wife noticed the total lack of anyone talking to her at tribal and then I realized neither of us could remember her name.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Adus posted:

...can't stand her little song though. but whatever it's harmless.

It's caused me to like the musical composition on the show for the first time because they keep working it in.

quote:

danny's criticism is fully valid though and i think messing with already won immunity or introducing idol nullifiers is garbage. if you ask me there should be two things that cannot be affected without the player's direct choice: vote and immunity. risk your own vote? fine. give away your necklace or idol? fine. but no steal-a-vote, no idol nullifier, no reversing immunity in any way. you're completely robbing players of their agency, and things like your vote or immunity might be the only agency you have if you're on the bottom.

Danny's frustration is valid and probably especially acute because it was a surprise, but I dunno about robbing players of agency reversing a team immunity.

Taking away individual immunity would be bullshit though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Adus posted:

i'm not entirely sure what the difference is overall. obviously this is a more unique immunity since they've never really made half the people immune at the merge before but if you tell me i win immunity or i use an idol i don't think that should be messed with.

I'm imagining someone on the bottom of the tribe outworking everyone else to win individual immunity and save themselves, only to have Jeff be like "someone smashed a prop, gently caress you" and the obvious vote happens anyway. That seems way worse than a group of five all losing immunity.

Not saying my personal reaction would be any different between the two scenarios, but as a viewer I didn't have a problem with the group switch-em-up. Especially since, like you say, it was already a weird half-tribe immunity thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I fully believe that 100% of the time the "random draws" for headbands are pre-determined, maybe even rock drawing, but the nature of the show is such that there can never be convincing proof to me either way unless I get a job there.

I wonder if the USA's fair competition laws apply? Especially with drawing rocks for elimination, that sounds a lot like some of the old quiz show scandals.

The Bloop posted:

If it had flipped at tribal that would be one thing, but it happened before another immunity challenge so it's not like they didn't have ample time to alter plans.

This is a good point!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Metis of the Hallways posted:

This sounds familiar, I feel like it was Tony or Sarah? Maybe even both lol.

I definitely remember Tony doing it. And maybe laughing about it in a confessional?

The Berzerker posted:

Real tired of this last minute whisper game poo poo at tribal

At least it's funny when it's this inept.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Speaking of extra votes, I still have no idea what the point of Shan using hers to split her votes between Naseer and Heather was.

All I can come up with is some misguided attempt to claim she didn't technically vote either of them out?

Brass posted:

So why does everyone hate Shan again? Seems like people are mad at Shan for her tribe's failures to do anything.

Imo she plays like a Russel-type, who tries to completely control their tribe, but since she's a woman then it's not as endearing? She is dictating the votes.

Is this a debate people are having elsewhere? I'm not feeling much Shan hate from this thread. And assuming you mean Russell Hantz, I am not seeing the comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Don't you get a decent-sized cheque for coming top three?

I mean, people can spend their money how they want, but that's pretty weird. Trying to imagine being a Survivor finalist and someone dropping an unasked-for six figure cheque in my lap. Not sure it feels great.