Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I wonder if Jeff is still going to give his same pregame speech now that it is 26 days instead of 39 days. Or maybe he'll change it up so they can keep the casual viewers in the dark about the show being 2 weeks shorter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I always liked how they basically created the fan favorite prize basically just to give Rupert 1 million bucks. It's even more funny because Australian Survivor did the same thing a couple seasons ago for a fan favorite :D

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alright I jumped in!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khanstant posted:

you put the die in a thing, then draw from a bag with 1/6 chance to be safe but lose vote... why they don't roll that die for the same exact odds?

I think the way they are doing it, the dice is basically meaningless. But having them draw a parchment to see if they are safe or not would allow multiple people to use it at the same tribal... And like are they allowed to give their Die to someone else?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

Why’d they ask the players about come on in guys anyway

If they think it’s suspect just change it, don’t put that on the players.

It's Jeff Probst, it's what he does. If there's a chance to create a dialog about a social issue on Survivor, Jeff is on that poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm watching The Challenge right now, which I love dearly, and they're desperately trying to hide any mention of COVID (including have players leave the game off-screen)

I did find it interesting, I don't mind it at all for the 1st episode to acknowledge Covid exists but it will be pretty lovely if it's every episode having discussion about the pandemic...

Was also quite a big contrast from Australian Survivor which basically made no mention of Covid. The only notion of it even being a thing is them filming the season in Australia.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't think it's really that big of a deal for Jeff to have made a big deal about changing the "come on in guys" poo poo. It's just what he has done with Survivor for a long time. If there is a chance at making something into a conversation piece, Jeff is on it... And perhaps it's even needed to have it brought up directly on a primetime TV show. If Jeff just changed it without saying anything, then it wouldn't get much attention... The gender based greetings is relatively common. A lot of YouTubers still use the "Ladies and Gentlemen" stuff...

Also really, I am pretty annoyed if he's just going to say, "Come on in" instead of something like, "Come on in Survivors" or even "Come on in Tribe/s." The latter of which would even hit the same speech pattern...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I imagine the pastor will make it far. She's a pastor so already you know she likely will have a really strong social game... but then if she's willing to backstab and lie to people too... Should be fun to watch. I think the "Dollar store Howard Stern" though will be a pretty quick vote off unless he gets slotted as a goat early on... People tend to not trust someone that will tell people to their face they are the target...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

obliriovrons posted:

They approached it in the absolute worst way that was also always going to be the dumb way Jeff was going to approach it because it's the dumb way Jeff approaches everything like this. But go to Twitter and look up the #ComeOnInGuys hashtag to see a whole shitload of people who are absolutely furious that the PC Bullshit has made its way to Survivor and especially furious at Ricard for being the cause of it (even though Jeff said he wanted to change it anyway, and even though he directed the hate towards his own Twitter account). Ricard, I'm sure, will get a whole bunch of hate through the season and beyond because they couldn't just say "Hey, we feel weird about this phrasing, and everyone was mad at us about a different thing a couple seasons ago, so we want to change this now."

Oh no, not going to make the mistake of diving into the nutbag right wing conservatives takes on Survivor 41... Especially not for Ricard with the Pregnant trans husband. That line is some serious venom to the rear end in a top hat trumpers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Raxivace posted:

How on Earth could they not just get rid of Xander here?

Obviously they are worried about all the power he will have in the future when his idol & extra vote become active... So might as well get rid of his buddy first! (Although I think mostly it's because Tiffany has no idea what is going on and the other 2 would still rather work with her so they did what she wanted...)

Also, a real eyeroll moment when Jeff questions if a surgeon had to do the math in his head on the spot to figure out what 1/6 was in decimals... I know America is dumb as poo poo and all, but I'm assuming at a least a decent portion of people know it's 16.6 or whatever...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also it's kind of funny how much information Evvie shares with people to earn their trust...

Gave Deshawn all the information in the world to gain trust without getting anything back... Gave out Xanders advantages, let Deshawn know about the Beware idol clue being hidden at the camps... and then gave him the extra vote as well?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nobody finds the 3rd part to the Beware Idol and Xander has to go the rest of the game without getting to vote... but then wins based on his relationships along the way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pandaal posted:

Was there anything shown before tribal indicating a Voce vote or were we just entirely left out of the actual plan via the edit to concoct a “blindside” moment?

Pretty sure Tiffany directly said they should switch the vote because she would go home if Xander's idol was active if they voted for Xander. It was kind of a good part of the pre tribal chat all around... Not sure if she directly mentioned Voce... but there isn't another choice in a tribe of 5.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think it could have been a pretty interesting twist and provided some fun gameplay if Xander didn't tell Evvie who then went and told another tribe about it too...

You could have had a moment where 3 survivors on 3 tribes all have an idol and know about each other having it.

Really with the vote risk / protect and the idols, there seems to be a lot of shared advantage knowledge across tribes in a way that could be an interesting dynamic, but probably will be terrible.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess the hardest part of watching old Survivor is having to be reminded what lovely things were still more or less socially acceptable even 15-20 years ago!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor 41: Voter Fraud

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aerox posted:

I know they're probably going to rehide it but it would be very funny if Xander and whoever finds the third idol just lose their vote for the rest of the season.

Well it's only until the merge that they lose their vote... which honestly is probably coming up pretty quick.

Also got to say the season is a big step back from Australian Survivor, even if there were only a few big players last season... The editing is just so much better, they actually take the time to develop a storyline for multiple people being potential targets. Instead of US Survivor just building up a storyline for 1 person that will probably not be the one getting voted out and leave you wondering what happened...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

After the merge, they are going to have to put a list of players names and all the advantages they have before tribal so people know what the gently caress is going on.

Players with extra votes, steal a votes, idols, and god knows what else they have decided to put in the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor 41: It's like playing a drinking game with that buddy that makes up new rules every 5 minutes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I’m not too down on the season but I didn’t need to see 3 separate people finding the exact same item dropped in the middle of the camp only to go do the exact same protect/risk thing we’be gotten twice except with a tarp confusingly inserted if everyone picks protect. And man that idol phrase thing is way too goofy and weird, god even knows what happens now with Brad out.

It's cool it was different this time because it was a steal a vote instead of just an extra vote. Steal a vote does have at least a little more power...

They want to do the prisoners dilemma but all the Survivors know what's going on and can just work together and build trust instead of loving each other over...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure all they've given out so far to the Survivors is the fruit and fishing gear... and they haven't even really shown any of the tribes actually getting much for food either... But also maybe that's because they have to spend 15 minutes of every episode explaining the advantages.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Vernacular posted:

Also the merge in theory won't be happening soon. If anything they should want to maintain their numbers for the first mixup. Even if there's some prior discord I feel like players tend to stick with their original tribal affiliations at that point.

It seems like a mixup is pretty unlikely at this point unless they are going to merge pretty late... Already down to 13 Survivors. Which kind of makes thinking they need to lose 1 of their 6 to keep the numbers in a 12 or fewer player merge an interesting theory...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Bloop posted:

Preview one world? split into 4? who knows!

Normal tribe swap, but the tribes still have the same number of people on them as they did prior... This isn't really a spoiler because it would be really bad and I am just making poo poo up...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

The Go Fish idol steal is a pretty stupid concept imo

It's actually the right kind of stupid for this season. The show makes 3 people basically announce to everyone that they have an idol... then gives another player an advantage to steal one of the idols, if somehow they can figure out who has an idol... :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

At this point I am pretty sure everybody in the game knows that all 3 people saying a weird phrase has an idol :lol:

Also :lol: at the pastor that puts a knife in everyone's back and gets their advantages while voting them out of the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

So, Shan is getting a winner's edit, right?

Not sure if she is yet or not. She's just clearly been in the driver seat strategy wise for her tribe that has gone to tribal council every episode except 1... It would be weird to not give her the edit she has gotten so far...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In a couple weeks, there will be more idols and advantages in the game than there are players :smug:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

I wonder if they could be tribeless next ep and just draw for teams at the challenge. Just trying to think of what could be a new not quite merge thing that hasn’t been done before.

Two tribes One Beach? It was a fun concept the 1 time they tried it, just a shithead cast member.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Somehow it seems like a completely lame advantage after Jeff tried to hype it up into being the most powerful thing to ever exist. But I think I for sure would have just smashed the hour glass while Jeff was still explaining it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Raxivace posted:

Its fine I guess. I don't really have a problem with most of the twists but the cast is a little boring IMHO.

That cast seems pretty good to me. But the show spends so much time on twists and challenges, there's been so little actual time to give to the cast. Especially with 1 tribe losing all but 1 immunity challenge, there's been basically 0 time to even give to the other tribes...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spokes posted:

i feel like half of every episode is about shan (who, to be clear, is my favorite player to watch by far) but if she doesn't go to the finale i'm going to feel like my time was *very* wasted

I think it's just a nature of being on a really bad tribe. Like her tribe has been to all but 1 tribal council. And she's obviously been the center of pretty much all of them stealing advantages as she votes people out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think it would be fun if there was a season where they didn't put any idols or advantages out... But Jeff still acted like they were in play at tribal.

But really Idols are an essential part of the game these days and add a lot more than they take away.

Having different advantages every week that nobody uses at all though is in a special form of lovely though... Smashing the hour glass will be the first time an advantage has been used all season... and that's assuming she does in fact smash it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The "celebrities" you get for celebrity reality type competitions are often not that much more than what we already get on Survivor. Like we already get the occasional professional retired athletes and a good portion of Survivors All Star players are more famous than what you'd get as far as actors and poo poo go.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Brass posted:

this season has been so bad that I've started investigating and contemplating watching Australian Survivor

You absolutely should watch it. The first 2 seasons were a little weak, but from Champions Vs Contenders up until this past season have been on par or even better than US Survivor.

The challenges, contestants, and even the host are all amazing. Jonathan spends a lot of tribal just as an interesting third party at tribal instead of making it into a talk show or pushing the game a certain way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RatHat posted:

Apparently Australian Survivor DID hide an Idol at tribal council once? How did that work? And how was every tribal council afterwards not just chaos from everyone tearing up the set looking for idols?

Pretty sure it was early in the season so not much of a spoiler, they did hide an idol right on the set at tribal pretty much behind where the Survivors sit at tribal. Nobody looked for one after that at tribal though (while on camera I guess).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty crazy episode all around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I am really curious though since Xander pulled out the fake idol and seemed to unwrap it before the advantage steal was announced. But Shannon also has an idol and should have known it was a fake one he was holding... (although I am sure you could maybe blame it on editing)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Brass posted:

If Shan had said "no thats a fake, I know what a real one looks like!", that might have been bad. If she did realize it was fake then she was smart to keep her mouth shut and have people use their idols/advantages. The last-minute idea to split the vote to flush out the idol was very smart even though didn't ultimately work that way. But I honestly think she just wasn't considering the possibility of a fake idol.

Everyone (should) know Shan has the idol though. She is 1 of the 3 people to say the weird rear end phrase at Tribal council that activated the idols. The 3 idols in the game are pretty much public knowledge. Maybe it would be bad to announce that Shan and Liana were working together, but I am pretty sure the core alliance already has accepted that Liana is part of their alliance.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Are we sure this Heather person's name isn't actually Kelly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yep, there's a lot of what ifs from the tribal that could come up if more than 5 people were eligible to be voted for... Luckily I was able to ninja edit my post wondering why the 8 player alliance just didn't split their votes last night :lol: