Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdF27aViPtM

I'm a hothead. Love my spicy food, can't get enough of it. One big problem I have is that so many spicy foods I buy are just plain weak. I was at the gas station today and saw some almonds that said they were carolina reaper flavored. All sorts of scary packaging talking about how spicy they are. I tried them, and sure they tasted okay, but they just weren't that spicy. So, so many snack foods promise that heat and then fail to deliver.

Paqui brand ghost pepper chips are probably the best commonly available spicy snack. I can sit down and eat a whole bag of those and be happy, but everybody I've talked into trying them has recoiled. Every other spicy chip I've tried has paled in comparison. I was at trader joe's not too long ago and saw that they had a very similar looking store brand ghost pepper chip. They were mild. Very, very mild. Like, even people who can't handle spice can eat them levels of mild. Very disappointing.

Probably my favorite hot sauce is reaper squeezins, available through puckerbutt peppers. It's pretty much just mashed up carolina reapers with a little bit of vinegar thrown in. All you need is a splash or two in a pot of chili and it gives it that distinctive taste with an incredible burn. If I'm in the mood for something milder then the grocery store I go to carries this really good local sweet habanero hot sauce, I can dump it on anything and it'll be better for it.

Sometimes I like putting hot sauce in my coffee.

What do you all do for your spicy hot fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Also, this thread is open to lovers of horseradish and wasabi. There is more to the spicy life than just a scoville number.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

op how do you feel about sichuan peppercorn

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

EightFlyingCars posted:

It’s fine. I think I’ve had it before but I don’t keep it on hand in the spice cabinet

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ziv Zulander posted:

It’s fine. I think I’ve had it before but I don’t keep it on hand in the spice cabinet

Have you ever had proper mapo dofu? That poo poo knocked me on my loving rear end.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Living abroad I miss Sabrita chili y limon chips (the best chips) and usually hog out on a bag when I'm back home. But because of COVID it's been almost three years since I've enjoyed their tangy spicy goodness.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Escape From Noise posted:

Have you ever had proper mapo dofu? That poo poo knocked me on my loving rear end.

I don’t think I have. There are a good handful of Chinese places around me and they’ll all say caution extra spicy on the menu, but when you get the food, it’s not actually extra spicy.

e: same thing with the spiciness of the Mexican places around me. The other week at work we ordered takeout and I had somebody freaking out because I was able to eat a whole roasted jalapeno. I’m like, drat, it’s just a jalapeno, it’s not that spicy

Ziv Zulander fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 7, 2021

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ziv Zulander posted:

I don’t think I have. There are a good handful of Chinese places around me and they’ll all say caution extra spicy on the menu, but when you get the food, it’s not actually extra spicy.

Yeah, there was one place in Portland that had it super spicy. I went with some students from Szechuan and they said it was legit. I also can't do like super extra spicy most of the time. I always enjoy a good curry.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using Valentina's black label for years but now I'm going through like a bottle a week so I think I need to step up my game. I'm just not sure which hotter sauces have actual flavor instead of being hot for the sake of it

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I dont really get Carolina reapers & chillies of a similar heat. The best attribute of a chilli is its flavour. You don't get that when the chilli is so hot you can only use small amounts.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Swedish spicy food is a joke which I culturally “get” but like, it’s either not spicy at all or just spicy to be spicy and without flavor.

This doesn’t apply for non Swedish food made in Sweden, as I’ve had some nice heat from amazing little mom and pop places around here (bury me in Ethiopian food please). Plus if there’s any privilege being a brown gives you, it’s that when you ask for spicy you aren’t doubted.

I did turn my partner on to Samyang though and he loves spicy foods, any recommendations wreck my partners insides with I am open to.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I dont really get Carolina reapers & chillies of a similar heat. The best attribute of a chilli is its flavour. You don't get that when the chilli is so hot you can only use small amounts.

Exactly. I tried one on a dare on a work trip and it’s just kind of a stunt pepper if that makes sense? Like what good is it if you can have a mere sliver.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Robo Reagan posted:

I've been using Valentina's black label for years but now I'm going through like a bottle a week so I think I need to step up my game. I'm just not sure which hotter sauces have actual flavor instead of being hot for the sake of it

That’s the trick with the hot sauces. You might think that it’s all spice and no flavor. But that heat, that tongue burning sensation, those hiccups and throat spasms? That’s just weakness leaving the body. Once you get past that first hit, you’ll realize. Those hot sauces have got flavors. And they’re flavors like you’ve never tasted before. The chocolate bhutlah, the reapers and ghost peppers, they are all their own distinct taste.

My best recommendation for hot sauces is to go as hot as you can, get used to it, and then go hotter

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

teen witch posted:

This doesn’t apply for non Swedish food made in Sweden, as I’ve had some nice heat from amazing little mom and pop places around here (bury me in Ethiopian food please). Plus if there’s any privilege being a brown gives you, it’s that when you ask for spicy you aren’t doubted.

At work, my boss will occasionally order food for us. She’s an older Indian lady. I remember one time she ordered Thai food for us, from a local restaurant known for their heat. I asked for a 5/5 spicy curry, as hot as it could be made. I got it, and it was not that spicy. Boss told me she asked for as hot as possible. Even with an Indian lady ordering food, you can’t get spicy stuff in my town.

teen witch posted:

Exactly. I tried one on a dare on a work trip and it’s just kind of a stunt pepper if that makes sense? Like what good is it if you can have a mere sliver.

Those spicy hot peppers are their own thing. If you can get past the incredible burn they all have a unique flavor to them

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There’s an Indian place near me that I’ve been to a few times. You know it’s authentic because you call them and you can’t understand the person on the phone, and they can’t understand you. I’ve asked for 5/5 spice and not been given it before. But one thing they offer is the lemon mango pickle relish.

It’s strong. Knock your socks off strong. One whiff and it’s just phew. It’s fermented, very strongly fermented. I’ve never eaten anything like it before. Whatever heat their curry offers me, the lemon mango pickle relish just cuts right through. Plus it’s got some tough rinds in it that you need to spit out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm not crazy about heat. I love spices, but after a point heat drowns out the taste of the food. But I love, love, love horseradish!

I recently bought some of this stuff:

I really like it! It's the most powerful retail one I've had so far. I see Hee Haw is supposed to be more powerful, but no one charts horseradish spire like they do hot sauces, do they? So I don't know how much more potent it's supposed to be. I'mma try that one next.

I've been chasing the high of a homemade horseradish I had at a Christmas party like, 10 year ago and this is the closest I've gotten.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Most Indian places here are Nepalese run, so usually there's a bit of fusion going on. Sometimes your samosas come with ketchup instead of the green chili sauce and/or tamarind sauce, which is absolutely bullshit.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Das Boo posted:

I'm not crazy about heat. I love spices, but after a point heat drowns out the taste of the food. But I love, love, love horseradish!

I recently bought some of this stuff:

I really like it! It's the most powerful retail one I've had so far. I see Hee Haw is supposed to be more powerful, but no one charts horseradish spire like they do hot sauces, do they? So I don't know how much more potent it's supposed to be. I'mma try that one next.

I've been chasing the high of a homemade horseradish I had at a Christmas party like, 10 year ago and this is the closest I've gotten.

Horseradish is very good. What I like about horseradish is that it grows like a weed. Like literally, you can be out in the yard, and there will be horseradish growing.

One memory I have is that it was my erica’s birthday. She was my girlfriend at the time, now just regular friends. She hadn’t had too many good birthdays so I wanted to make it special. I made herb crusted roast beef with horseradish sauce, and I dug and cut the horseradish out of my yard. Very good and very spicy.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Actually this may be the best place to ask: I’m a slut for m ginger. Like I LOVE spicy sweet, oh my god.

Anything else worth trying that maybe I can get in the EU?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

teen witch posted:

Actually this may be the best place to ask: I’m a slut for m ginger. Like I LOVE spicy sweet, oh my god.

Maybe this is just an American thing. But I can buy fresh ginger root from the grocery store. If I want I can head down to the Scandinavian market and buy all sorts of ginger candy, hard or soft.

Is ginger not readily available?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

Maybe this is just an American thing. But I can buy fresh ginger root from the grocery store. If I want I can head down to the Scandinavian market and buy all sorts of ginger candy, hard or soft.

Is ginger not readily available?

Oh no ginger is ample here, I mean are there other spicy sweet things to try

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

OP Ive worked up a pretty good tolerance for spicy foods but my butthole has not developed this tolerance.

I tend to avoid the really really hot stuff now because gently caress taking multiple fiery poos.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

OP Ive worked up a pretty good tolerance for spicy foods but my butthole has not developed this tolerance.

I tend to avoid the really really hot stuff now because gently caress taking multiple fiery poos.

try smearing your b-hole with sour cream or spritzing with milk next time it's too spicy on the way out

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ziv Zulander posted:

Paqui brand ghost pepper chips are probably the best commonly available spicy snack.
They do a good job of being hot, but the flavor of them is kinda muddy so I didn't really enjoy them. I got 6 bags for like 10 cents each at a liquidator, so I guess that speaks well of their being too hot (or too garbage-tasting) for most people.

Melinda's Naga Jolokia hot sauce is my favorite for being properly both hot and flavorful (even a tiny amount packs a lot of both). I'd much rather put 5 drops of that in a bowl of chili than one drop of pure capsaicin or whatever.

quote:

are there other spicy sweet things to try
You could try the cinnamon challenge! Or more seriously, galangal is an interesting flavor, but maybe not as different from ginger as you're hoping for.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 7, 2021

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Candied ginger is great and super easy to make.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I love spicy food

I once got a pad Thai Thai spicy and couldn't finish it

It was that day I finally knew my limits to spicy food

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I've tried and failed to seek out proper spicy food in my region. A metropolis of 2m+ people and not a single restaurant that serves good, hot food.

If I want a quick fix, buffalo wild wings has a couple super hot sauces that get me red and make my nose run but otherwise taste pretty bad. Amazon sells spicy noodles (get the red x2 spicy and dice up some chicken into it) that hit the spot every once in a while.

If you ever find yourself in DC there's a couple chicken places called Wooboi that sell code red and code blue sandwiches that fill the hole in my heart for spicy, flavorful food. The code red is just on the edge of what I can tolerate heat wise and still taste good enough that I can't stop eating. Code blue trades flavor for spice and IMO crosses the line.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
loving love spicy food, my friend just made some Carolina reaper sauce that's absolutely delicious.

Here in England, we've got this really weird relationship with spice, where at any supermarket, the only fajitas I can buy are either mild or extra mild, but then at the weekend am spoilt for choice with immense vindaloo options.

Also, people keep saying "I got this hot sauce you should try!" And it's always 'Da Bomb'. Always. Which is loving gross.

teen witch posted:

Oh, oh oh, edit not to double post, but, my God, have you tried Gin Gins? I dunno if there's a Holland and Barrett where you are, but you get them in there (probably elsewhere) and my DAYS they're great. Actually, I'm gonna go get some RIGHT NOW.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 7, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

Well, it's less the case of them tasting good, and more the experience? But that's just me. I admit, it's lovely to get a good, strong, fruity, smokey pepper in a chilli.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love it how the hot sauces have such stupid "manly" branding like Napalm Dick Destroyer or Super Charged Virginity Returner or like, Grundles of Flame or whatever

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like Frank's

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
"scoville units" are bullshit especially when you get into really really hot sauces

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

EightFlyingCars posted:

IMO the best "ma la" based dish is shui zhu yu. OP, if you want to know a different kind of spicy (with plenty of the standard kind of spicy mixed in), I highly recommend finding an authentic Sichuan place and ordering a bowl of this poo poo

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i had some hot chicken in nashville and it was more of a religious experience than a meal. like sweating so much it looked like i just jumped in a pool, choking on snot, and crying my eyes out. i think there were two more tiers of spice above the one i got too. cant wait to get some more of that stuff.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

i love it how the hot sauces have such stupid "manly" branding like Napalm Dick Destroyer or Super Charged Virginity Returner or like, Grundles of Flame or whatever

Yeah, I always find this sort of thing funny. I guess with hot sauce at least there's the angle of like, "it's spicy, and that's painful so here are associations with pain". But when it's like, Gillette Mach3 Stealth, like, what, this razor is going to sneak into my face and bomb it? Great, a war crime is just what my upper lip needed to look presentable for the office...?!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i had some hot chicken in nashville and it was more of a religious experience than a meal. like sweating so much it looked like i just jumped in a pool, choking on snot, and crying my eyes out. i think there were two more tiers of spice above the one i got too. cant wait to get some more of that stuff.

Aww man, this is like what CoCo in Tokyo was like, I love that where you get the insane chilli high. And yeah, when it's not even nearly top tier, lol. So good! I really wanna go to New Oreleans, the food there looks amazing, dunno how much hot spice factors in there though?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 7, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Many years ago a friend of mine hosted a dinner party, serving ghost pepper chili. I have no idea what recipe he used, but he loving nailed it. It was right in that window just after "wow this is really, really, really loving spicy" but before "this is really, really, really loving spicy and now everyone in the house is puking."

My general rule for buying hot sauce in a local grocery is to look for the one with the most amateur looking label possible. The one that you can tell the creators were like "hey, cousin, you know computers right? Design a label for our sauce," and the label was actually made by their seven year old cousin.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

IMO the best "ma la" based dish is shui zhu yu. OP, if you want to know a different kind of spicy (with plenty of the standard kind of spicy mixed in), I highly recommend finding an authentic Sichuan place and ordering a bowl of this poo poo

That looks super good.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Also those Szechuan style peanuts are a good snack.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

That looks super good.

Brother you have no idea (eat it with rice btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Devils Affricate posted:

Brother you have no idea (eat it with rice btw)

My wife is pretty good with spice but can't stand szechuan pepper, is this that? poo poo, I'll just Google it, why am asking here. I will make it though, thanks!

Edit: of course it is. Well, when she's next out of town I'm going for it.