Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
After having no success last year I managed to germinate a single ghost pepper seed (from Puckerbutt). Can't remember the exact variety.

Have to do it inside as there's no way it would finish ripening in time before winter where I am. Hopefully I can make this a perennial somehow.

You know how some plants just look kind of evil?

Most likely will ferment the peppers and make hot sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Something that I think about from time to time: spiciness propagates through our digestive system all the way to our butthole, and we suffer for it in this way. But imagine if capsaicin was not only expelled through the anus, but the urethra as well. Ghost pepper piss. Nature, at least in this regard, was kind to us.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mozi posted:

After having no success last year I managed to germinate a single ghost pepper seed (from Puckerbutt). Can't remember the exact variety.

Have to do it inside as there's no way it would finish ripening in time before winter where I am. Hopefully I can make this a perennial somehow.

Man, that looks amazing! Well done!

Back in 2013 I was at a chilli festival, and there was the first Carolina Reaper sauce on the market, it had just come out, and was the new "hottest pepper in the world". Me and a friend braved it, and clearly we put on a stoic performance, because the exhibitors (I guess it must have been puckerbutt?) Offered us a bite of the pepper itself.

My God. It lit up parts of my brain I think are probably reserved for "help I am definitely dying", it was a total trip. I had to drink banana milkshake to try and keep it together, and managed to regain sanity after a breather.

I was without warning, very abruptly, met with the NEED to eject, via mouth, and swept myself off to a nearby porta loo. I remember looking in the bowl to see if I needed to flush first and just hearing a shotgun go off? I felt it afterwards. Basically my guts had convulsed so hard that I'd vomited the entire contents of my stomach in under a second. There was a pleasant aftertaste of banana, but I otherwise felt absolutely fantastic! And hungry for chilli.

Truly, those things are evil, and I absolutely learnt my lesson that day.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 7, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like smooth salsa over chunky salsa

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i do enjoy garlic from time to time

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

!Klams posted:

Offered us a bite of the pepper itself.

My God.

thanks for the heads up, hah. will probably avoid that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had one of those one chip challenge things the other night and was fine eating it but good god within twenty minutes I had like 9/10 abdominal pain and nausea. Turns out it has scorpion peppers in it this year and those always, always gently caress up my guts. I have sauces hotter than my scorpion chili ones that don’t bother me but if I do the scorpion sauces my insides are hosed for at least a day.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Im a taco bell mild sauce kind of guy

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think a lot of time people forget that scoville is based on concentration so they feel like a real badass cooking with a bottle of assblaster xtreme but they just add a couple drops to their pot of food at which point it's no more or less heat than using a more appreciable amount of a milder sauce.

Those korean spicey noodles that made the youtube rounds sometime ago were only like 6k on the scoville, which is around a jalapeno or 2-3x your typical accessible hotsauce. The thing though is that was the scoville for the entire dish, so every bite was at that scoville, whereas if you're a hot sauce aficionado you may have some bottles kicking around that are in the tens/hundreds of thousands or even millions, but you're gonna be diluting it so much you'd probably not hit that same level.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pimpcasso posted:

Im a taco bell mild sauce kind of guy

Corn syrup and red 40?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The way I like to judge spicy is if it makes the top of my head sweat and tingle. It’s a weird but cool sensation and a legal high

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
LAOGANMA

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

The way I like to judge spicy is if it makes the top of my head sweat and tingle. It’s a weird but cool sensation and a legal high

All highs are legal if you don't get caught

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

kntfkr posted:

LAOGANMA

Really want to try this :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dandywalken posted:

Really want to try this :(

Where do you live? The internet sells it and every Chinese grocer stocks it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

kntfkr posted:

LAOGANMA

2nded. Good on drat near anything. Pour that poo poo on my Cheerios idgaf

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

kntfkr posted:

LAOGANMA

I'm not a spice head but laoganma chili crisp is the absolute poo poo. Love that stuff, goes on nearly everything. Keep in mind they have a range of products, so don't just look for the angry lady and assume you're getting what you had before. They're all good, but they serve slightly different purposes

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
OP try this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Samyang-Chicken-noodle-Buldak-Variety/dp/B079WLKGF2
I like spicy stuff but I could only eat a couple bites of this ramen before I had to bin it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

I think a lot of time people forget that scoville is based on concentration so they feel like a real badass cooking with a bottle of assblaster xtreme but they just add a couple drops to their pot of food at which point it's no more or less heat than using a more appreciable amount of a milder sauce.

Those korean spicey noodles that made the youtube rounds sometime ago were only like 6k on the scoville, which is around a jalapeno or 2-3x your typical accessible hotsauce. The thing though is that was the scoville for the entire dish, so every bite was at that scoville, whereas if you're a hot sauce aficionado you may have some bottles kicking around that are in the tens/hundreds of thousands or even millions, but you're gonna be diluting it so much you'd probably not hit that same level.

Yeah, then you get stuff advertised as carolina reaper or ghost pepper that's super dilute to the point that it's just like, using a normal amount of jalapeno. It can still be tasty because you get a purer, smokier heat with less of the flavor of the peppers themselves but if you're looking for something extra spicy then lol

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

sporkstand posted:

OP try this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Samyang-Chicken-noodle-Buldak-Variety/dp/B079WLKGF2
I like spicy stuff but I could only eat a couple bites of this ramen before I had to bin it.

after seeing this stuff mentioned a bunch i finally picked some up from the hmart and its perfect. i havnt tried the 2x spicy yet but ill get there eventually.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

what is the thread consensus on Lao Fan Ma Chili Crisp

https://www.laoganmausa.com/

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
My dad ordered 4 of the Paqui one chip challenge things and we tried them last night, it was awful and tasted awful, do no recommend.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

LAOGANMA

Laoganma balls lol

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I usually stick to fresh jalapenos, thai chile peppers, ichimi, peppercorns, sichuan peppercorns, sesame chili oil, horseradish & ginger as my main go-tos for my home cooking. I usually stay far far away from any sort of boutique hot sauces and I often find them a combination of disappointing/gross. I will never cook for friends or family because they are not spiceheads.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Am I crazy, or do Sichuan peppers remind anyone else faintly of licorice?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Samovar posted:

Am I crazy, or do Sichuan peppers remind anyone else faintly of licorice?

I see it paired very often with star anise which does taste like licorice to me, but I'm also a person who likes licorice.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

speaking of Sichuan food if you ever get Chongqing mala chicken, don't try to eat the chiles unless you wanna be like me, the white guy crying in the middle of a Chinese restaurant because the food's too spicy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

often when i make chicken on the grill ill whip up some of MY FAMOUS RED SAUCE to cook the chicken with :henget:

which is just a mix of all the spicy poo poo in my kitchen and sometimes also fish sauce :kimchi:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

teen witch posted:

Swedish spicy food is a joke which I culturally “get” but like, it’s either not spicy at all or just spicy to be spicy and without flavor.

This doesn’t apply for non Swedish food made in Sweden, as I’ve had some nice heat from amazing little mom and pop places around here (bury me in Ethiopian food please). Plus if there’s any privilege being a brown gives you, it’s that when you ask for spicy you aren’t doubted.

I did turn my partner on to Samyang though and he loves spicy foods, any recommendations wreck my partners insides with I am open to.

When I went to Sweden for work, the locals warned us against trying curry, saying that it would be "too sweet for Americans". And holy poo poo they were right. We tried a decent-looking Indian lunch buffet, staffed by actual desis, and everything was quite literally sweet, as in there was sugar in the daal.

But then we connected with the local Pakistani community and got directed to Chili Masala in Solna, which is in a weird building but was amazing, and you could get proper Indian hot stuff there.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Bragging about your level of capsaicin tolerance is dumb, toxic masculinity for the obese. Let me regale you with my war story of how tough and brave I was when I faced the hot pepper.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Bragging about your level of capsaicin tolerance is dumb, toxic masculinity for the obese. Let me regale you with my story of how tough and brave I was when I faced the hot pepper.
:getout:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.amazon.com/Challenge-Carolina-improved-including-Scorpion/dp/B07KCGYLK7

Anybody else ever try the death nuts? I made it three fifths of the way through before I had to puke

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
angry grandma sauce is good poo poo.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im craving some heat so im going to pick up those Paqui ghost pepper chips after work. i like to dip them in YAESTA! chipotle salsa. gonna get sweaty. :getin:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Wamdoodle posted:

what is the thread consensus on Lao Fan Ma Chili Crisp

https://www.laoganmausa.com/

Everyone who tries it loves it. The MSG really makes it pop! You gotta be careful though and check out the nutrition label, it's like a billion calories per tablespoon.

My wife and I are convinced you could make a lot of money stocking it in regular white folk super markets and we tried to make our own but it was hard. I like it better than sriracha and think it could be just as popular.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, then you get stuff advertised as carolina reaper or ghost pepper that's super dilute to the point that it's just like, using a normal amount of jalapeno. It can still be tasty because you get a purer, smokier heat with less of the flavor of the peppers themselves but if you're looking for something extra spicy then lol
P much every snackfood I've ever seen advertised with ghost pepper is exactly this, it's like "ghost pepper jerky" and you eat it and straight up slices of jalapeno on your subway sandwich are more concentrated spice. I assume it's just to appeal to the sort of weird person that thinks eating spicy food is an achievement.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I grew some Armageddons in the garden this year. Looks like I’ll have at least a twenty pepper harvest. Any good ideas for what to do with em? I’m thinking hot sauce but not sure what else.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i always keep

Franks (pasta, pizza, etc)
Cholula (same as Frank's + sandwiches)
Chipotle Tabasco (taquitos or other frozen Mexican food like Tina's burritos)
Valentina black label (most other kind of Mexican food, eggs)
Marie Sharp's Habanero (sandwiches, anything else that needs more heat than Frank's or Cholula)

And above that I buy any new sauces I find in the grocery store, which is pretty frequently these days, but I haven't added any of them to the above list in ages

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mozi posted:

I mean you can just mail order them from everywhere my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006