Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Has anyone ever tried to make a mix chilli pepper-horseradish sauce? I couldn't find anything when I looked online, but it seems so obvious I can't believe it hasn't been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Can I just say for the record that vinegar hot sauces like Frank’s and Tabasco are inferior to tomatoe and chili pepper purée ones by a huge margin.

This thread got me thinking about getting some spicy sauce- dipped fried chicken tenders tomorrow for lunch like a spicy boy 👦

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

StoryTime posted:

Share tips for making your own sauce!

I like to use abt. a teaspoon of this Spanish smoked paprika powder, it's really good for anything tomato based:

https://www.amazon.com/Dalia-Sweet-Smoked-Paprika-Spain/dp/B094Y9J3YF?th=1

My current batch has:

* That smoked paprika powder
* Half an onion
* 1 tomato
* A bagful of habaneros
* Half a lime's worth of juice
* A couple spoons of salt, a bit of sugar
* A dash of vinegar

Sauté everything in a kettle, add water and simmer to soften things up, then blend into even consistency.

I've been loving around with dried ancho chillies, dried chiles de árbol and Gochujang. You gotta toast the dried chillies and then soak them in hot water for ages, and then I just mix in a heap of the Gochujang and throw it in with whatever meaty saucy thing I'm making.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

AHH F/UGH posted:

Can I just say for the record that vinegar hot sauces like Frank’s and Tabasco are inferior to tomatoe and chili pepper purée ones by a huge margin.

Agreed, whenever I go for one of those types of sauce I buy the cheapest crap available because there really isn't much of a difference. It's salt, vinegar and a pepper that's close to cayenne. Here in Finland the cheap stuff is Texas Pete. Tabasco's habanero sauce is actually quite good, but it's insanely overpriced. It's generally difficult to find good stuff with a reasonable price in stores over here, which is why I try making my own sauces whenever I spot good looking peppers.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I somehow found Cholula here in Japan. You can find Tabasco sauce pretty easily, but it's not really my thing. Kaldi carries Marie Sharp's, which I like. I like to mix the smoked habanero with the hot salsa from there, because it tastes pretty good, and is pretty reasonably priced, but not very spicy.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

StoryTime posted:

Agreed, whenever I go for one of those types of sauce I buy the cheapest crap available because there really isn't much of a difference. It's salt, vinegar and a pepper that's close to cayenne. Here in Finland the cheap stuff is Texas Pete. Tabasco's habanero sauce is actually quite good, but it's insanely overpriced. It's generally difficult to find good stuff with a reasonable price in stores over here, which is why I try making my own sauces whenever I spot good looking peppers.

I can highly recommend the Chipotle Tabasco. Put that poo poo on an egg McMuffin and change your life.

Also, have you checked out any of Popamies's sauces? I've been pleasantly surprised by their Blackberry and Carribean.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Yeah, Poppamies imports good stuff, but the price tends to be an issue. I buy their Trinidad Scorpion chili sauce every now and then, it's pretty potent so a bottle lasts for a while.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Baloogan inspired me to try poppamies

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ziv Zulander posted:

I just use gloves if I care about getting flavoring powder on my hands. Same deal when chopping hot peppers

if i ever see somebody eating cheetos with gloves on i am going to fix for a WHOOPIN

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
aaronwolf

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

if i ever see somebody eating cheetos with gloves on i am going to fix for a WHOOPIN

Check out this uncultured SWINE!

I keep a pair of these handy for whenever I dine on Cheetos.

As I did recently, on this rare import.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
These are my current staples. Shipping to Central Europe is a pain in the rear end now that the UK left the EU. I used to directly order from a Caribbean family owned shop in London that had an Amazon storefront.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The El Yucateco Caribbean is a pretty decently spicy and flavorful option if you spot that around.
We've got a Jamaican take out place here in town and it pairs excellently with their beans and rice and their EXCELLENT Jamaican steamed cabbage, which already has some peppers in it (I believe scotch bonnets) but the cooking process they use, steaming in chicken (or vegetable, I've tried recreating it and haven't narrowed it down yet) stock for flavor, kinda devoids it of any actual heat so it just comes out as a generic 'pepper' flavor.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 9, 2021

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Crime on a Dime posted:

Baloogan inspired me to try poppamies

Baloogan made me start playing CMANO, he is a monster.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samovar posted:

Has anyone ever tried to make a mix chilli pepper-horseradish sauce? I couldn't find anything when I looked online, but it seems so obvious I can't believe it hasn't been done.

https://heatonist.com/products/torchbearer-headless-horseradish

It’s really good.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Lived in Japan for 5 years here - weird place to get hot sauce. Some of it's great, some of it's... not hot sauce.

Mostly I just ordered bottles of Sriracha from amazon.co.jp. It was highway robbery, something like $15 for two of the medium sized bottles - but absolutely worth it to put on some fried chicken.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I'm a comparative spicepuss but I really like buffalo wild wings asian zing sauce. Any recommendations in that vein? It's basically sweet+ginger+soy. It's a mid range sauce in their lineup, no idea how hot it actually is. The only other hot sauce I eat regularly is Cholula.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm a comparative spicepuss but I really like buffalo wild wings asian zing sauce. Any recommendations in that vein? It's basically sweet+ginger+soy. It's a mid range sauce in their lineup, no idea how hot it actually is. The only other hot sauce I eat regularly is Cholula.

i like this stuff. first three ingredients are cayenne peppers, sugar, and vinegar, so it's a mild heat and a sweet and sour flavor. i go through a lot of it.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Big Beef City posted:

The El Yucateco Caribbean is a pretty decently spicy and flavorful option if you spot that around.
We've got a Jamaican take out place here in town and it pairs excellently with their beans and rice and their EXCELLENT Jamaican steamed cabbage, which already has some peppers in it (I believe scotch bonnets) but the cooking process they use, steaming in chicken (or vegetable, I've tried recreating it and haven't narrowed it down yet) stock for flavor, kinda devoids it of any actual heat so it just comes out as a generic 'pepper' flavor.

Sounds great! I'll keep an eye out for it. Now I'm craving jerk chicken with rice and peas. Also saltfish and Ackee is my favorite Sunday breakfast.

Scotch bonnet is definitely one of the best all round peppers. It for a great fruity flavor and comes good heat.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

uber_stoat posted:

i like this stuff. first three ingredients are cayenne peppers, sugar, and vinegar, so it's a mild heat and a sweet and sour flavor. i go through a lot of it.

Cool, I like to throw cayenne powder into soups so that should be a good level of heat for me. Looks like I can easily get it locally too, I'll give it a try.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

So, I’m a longtime fan of the offspring. I know, I know. They’re one of those bands. But I recently learned that the frontman for the offspring has his own line of hot sauce, gringo bandito.

Does anybody know if it’s worth buying? Normally I’d just order it, but the first national bank of spongebob is a little tapped out right now. So I’m asking for the thread opinion instead

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mutton masala curry 2nite babyyyyyy

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

So, I’m a longtime fan of the offspring. I know, I know. They’re one of those bands. But I recently learned that the frontman for the offspring has his own line of hot sauce, gringo bandito.

Does anybody know if it’s worth buying? Normally I’d just order it, but the first national bank of spongebob is a little tapped out right now. So I’m asking for the thread opinion instead

His sauce ain't bad. The gently caress you mean one of those bands? I watched them play in 2010 and felt old seeing those old fat fucks, but dexter is a great dude.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Iakona posted:

His sauce ain't bad. The gently caress you mean one of those bands? I watched them play in 2010 and felt old seeing those old fat fucks, but dexter is a great dude.

They’re one of those bands. I love em to death, been lissing to their music for years. Their new stuff is great, anytime to covid comes up I say let the bad times roll.

Love that the frontman has his PhD in molecular biology. But you have to admit. They’re one of those bands.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

hot ribs are underrated

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ziv Zulander posted:

Their new stuff is great

Now this is what I call a "hot" take

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Offspring was never like, my favorite, and I haven't really kept up with their recent output, but I don't think they're very embarrassing.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Escape From Noise posted:

Offspring was never like, my favorite, and I haven't really kept up with their recent output, but I don't think they're very embarrassing.

Like half of Americana was listenable and maybe 2 songs on CoO, then it was a straight run to the grave. Check out this more recent "spicy" track

Anyways, back to the topic - yesterday went to the local Japanese yatai stand and got some fried chicken and opted to go for the habanero spicy mayo - an excellent choice. Spicy mayo is a severely underused option in a lot of places.

Also someone mentioned it earler - I go to Buffalo Wild Wings when my friends want to go there and I'm always pretty disappointed by the sauces. They're either way too vinegary or way too sweet. My friend's wife is from Thailand and she can basically drink the "wild" sauce whereas most of us consider it essentially inedible.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Go to any restaurant for actual locals in Thailand and their main dishes will be so strongly doused in red chili powder/paste that you will be sweating and gasping like you just took ten mollies and ran a half marathon

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Ziv Zulander posted:

thirding the "it's pretty good" verdict - not crazy from a heat standpoint but it's got a great flavor to it.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 11, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Escape From Noise posted:

Check out this uncultured SWINE!

I keep a pair of these handy for whenever I dine on Cheetos.

As I did recently, on this rare import.

I legit eat my popcorn/Cheetos/dusty chips with chopsticks to avoid this

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Made ground beef enchiladas night before last. My wife grows jalapeños in the garden and they range from completely bland to I wish I was dead on the hotness range. I grabbed a random one and grated it into the ground beef using this very fine grater I have. Super good, probably the best enchiladas I’ve ever made.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Like half of Americana was listenable and maybe 2 songs on CoO, then it was a straight run to the grave. Check out this more recent "spicy" track

Anyways, back to the topic - yesterday went to the local Japanese yatai stand and got some fried chicken and opted to go for the habanero spicy mayo - an excellent choice. Spicy mayo is a severely underused option in a lot of places.

Also someone mentioned it earler - I go to Buffalo Wild Wings when my friends want to go there and I'm always pretty disappointed by the sauces. They're either way too vinegary or way too sweet. My friend's wife is from Thailand and she can basically drink the "wild" sauce whereas most of us consider it essentially inedible.

Fair enough. I mostly just listen to trash music for jerks.

In Osaka now and the main source for ingredients for spicy food is usually Kaldi or sometimes maybe Yamaya. Last year during lockdown I ordered a bunch of dried Mexican chilis online and it cost me a lot of money, easily 4-5 times what it'd be back home, but I was able to make enchiladas, drat it!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just found out today there's a UK equivalent of the Carolina Reaper called Armageddon, lol. That's it really, I just thought it was interesting and funny.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

there's this local Thai place that makes surprisingly spicy drunken noodles that just keeps an even heat throughout the whole. comfortably keeping the heat up with every bite until youre halfway through and realize your forehead is dripping. good poo poo. vastly prefer a dish like that compared to sudden spikes in scovilles I would dab when younger and dumber

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I took a bite of a jalapeno once, that was my limit on spicy. I have weak baby tastebuds.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
a bite of a full on raw jalapeno can be a nightmare. I've had hotter stuff at a peak but man I think I have spent more time crying from raw jalapeno than all the other hot foods I've eaten combined

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

This stuff is mega dope. The sweetness goes well with seafood

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

Tiger sauce may not be hot sauce in the traditional sense but it is great at rescuing cheap or poorly cooked cuts of meat.

I bring some to every dinner hosted by my rural relatives, who consider blandness to be next to godliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

the panacea posted:

These are my current staples. Shipping to Central Europe is a pain in the rear end now that the UK left the EU. I used to directly order from a Caribbean family owned shop in London that had an Amazon storefront.

Ooh, I've never particularly liked Encona stuff but that reaper one looks interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out.

My tiny shelf as of today:

The rock-a-doodle-doo one are local makers and that particular bottle is mango habanero, it's pretty decent. The chilli raspberry I only uncovered from the back of my cupboard last week so haven't tried it yet. And the bottle of ramen fire sauce is exactly as hot as the ramen it comes from, some bite!