Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Aardvark! posted:

a bite of a full on raw jalapeno can be a nightmare. I've had hotter stuff at a peak but man I think I have spent more time crying from raw jalapeno than all the other hot foods I've eaten combined

I ate one of my scotch bonnets the other day. At first I was all ecstatic about how good it tasted. Then the heat hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mukulu posted:

I ate one of my scotch bonnets the other day. At first I was all ecstatic about how good it tasted. Then the heat hit.

my favorites are the ones that come on really slow, like a train slowly bearing down on you. gives you plenty time to wonder about the mistake you just made.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there used to be a Colombian place nearby. they had two hot sauces on the table, one red and one clear (with seeds). we were warned off the clear one.

in the course of telling us about the sauce, the owner mentioned that she'd just given the same speech to a group of construction workers earlier in the week, and one of them was like, "no, I'm Mexican, there's no way this is too spicy for me." he poured a bunch on his dish, had a bite, and his entire (shaved) head went red and sweaty and he lost his poo poo. everybody else (also all Mexican, iirc) mocked him without surcease.

she told us this story not with national pride but with real puzzlement.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Aardvark! posted:

a bite of a full on raw jalapeno can be a nightmare. I've had hotter stuff at a peak but man I think I have spent more time crying from raw jalapeno than all the other hot foods I've eaten combined

The humble raw jalapeño can taste as mild as spring peas or as fiery as satans balls. I do not understand it’s Scoville units in the slightest

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i like to line up some food and my hot sauces and put Hot Ones on and join in on the fun

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I moved to Illinois a few years ago and the state of spicy food here is pretty dire. I've seriously heard people comment that black pepper is too spicy for them. I really need to start going to the Mexican market to buy chilies. Bought at the normal chain a couple of times and they've somehow managed to make habaneros mild.

Last time I visited India my boss told the people I was meeting with that I really like spicy food, so they spent every meal trying to find the spiciest thing on the menu to order for me. Not really too spicy, but the flavor was always fantastic. The more adventurous ones would take a few bites of it and be wiping sweat from their foreheads. They also were all taking pictures of me when I ate one of the peppers whole. It was maybe a 4/10.

I don't however like any sauces/foods made with ghost peppers. They taste incredibly bitter to me for whatever reason and ruin the flavor of everything else. Also jalapenos tend to destroy my insides, and only jalapenos. Hottest thing I ever had was some ghost pepper chili maybe 10 years ago at a bar. It was agonizingly hot and I only made it through with the help of several beers. The waitress told me this was after they had brought down the heat level as it was apparently completely inedible before. I am no longer an idiot and will stop eating something if it's that spicy.

Had one of the best spiced dishes ever a few weeks ago in Boston. Not overly spicy or anything, but the mixture was just right to where it added to the flavor instead of detracting from it. How it should be done IMO.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I don't get the whole "hotter is better" thing. I buy my hot sauces for the flavor. I don't like things too hot because it has me focusing on pain/sweating instead of my food.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

numberoneposter posted:

i like to line up some food and my hot sauces and put Hot Ones on and join in on the fun

That’s the spirit!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm really loving that chains are glomping in to mango habanero as a sauce because the local wing places are doing it and it's loving amazing.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Ever since I threw up every day for 7 consecutive years I had to dial back on the spicy food also because I moved to a place that doesn't have any really

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Jestery posted:

I legit eat my popcorn/Cheetos/dusty chips with chopsticks to avoid this

I am an evangelist for this technique. It's borderline a copernican revolution. I also use chopsticks for basically everything in the kitchen.

I love spicy food but my gut/b-hole doesn't. I have to take a metamucil if I eat anything higher than Tabasco, really. If I have one of those cheap green curry ramens that I love too much I basically have to have a clear path to the bathroom pretty much 8 hours after the meal is finished (at night even). I also have a pretty strict "no spicy foods 24 hours before a flight/roadtrip" rule.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm really loving that chains are glomping in to mango habanero as a sauce because the local wing places are doing it and it's loving amazing.

I’m not usually a fan of sweet and spicy unless it’s mango habanero. Don’t know what it is about it but that’s my jam. Those mango habanero Hawaiian brand chips are fantastic.

The last time I ate meat (I’m a pescatarian who cheats occasionally) was a lamb mango curry from a local Indian place. Good flavor but barely any spice, and the mango was just a few big strips way at the bottom. Disappointing.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Whoever recommended Matouks from the last thread, goddamn that sauce is good. The salsa picante is a permanent fixture now.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Mango habanero sauce is even easier to make yourself than the tomato based sauce I mentioned earlier. Garlic also works with mangoes, surprisingly enough.

The smoked paprika powder, however, creates an absolute disaster with mangoes. I don't know what goes wrong there, but I sure as hell could not finish that bottle.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I love hot sauce but it makes me feel physically and mentally terrible for a few days after I have any spicy ones :( my tolerance is incredibly high and I whip out the Marie Sharp hornet sauce for when I don’t have to function for a bit though

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i have a bike race tomorrow its all amateur hour but since i dont want to poo poo my bike shorts im going to eat something thats easy on the tum tum

and then post race i think ill get something that ill feel going in and going out

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

teen witch posted:

Swedish spicy food is a joke which I culturally “get” but like, it’s either not spicy at all or just spicy to be spicy and without flavor.

This doesn’t apply for non Swedish food made in Sweden, as I’ve had some nice heat from amazing little mom and pop places around here (bury me in Ethiopian food please). Plus if there’s any privilege being a brown gives you, it’s that when you ask for spicy you aren’t doubted.

I did turn my partner on to Samyang though and he loves spicy foods, any recommendations wreck my partners insides with I am open to.

Tell him to PM me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mukulu posted:

How long does it take scotch bonnets and ghost peppers to ripen once they are grown?

I've already harvested a dozen thai dragons but my SBs and Ghosties are just slowly turning darker green every day for a month

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Mukulu posted:

Scotch bonnets are hands down the best tasting pepper. There's also something about their heat that feels different to other peppers to me. It's hard to describe but it feels richer/fuller and not as stinging.

I think I need to make some Jamaican jerk paste again.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

the panacea posted:

Scotch bonnets are hands down the best tasting pepper. There's also something about their heat that feels different to other peppers to me. It's hard to describe but it feels richer/fuller and not as stinging.

I think I need to make some Jamaican jerk paste again.

Capsicum chinense the champion species of chilis. great taste and most of the really hot ones are descended from it.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
One time I made jalapeno poppers, but I didn't wash my hands thoroughly enough before tuggin.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
As someone who goes through a bottle of hot sauce every 3 days on average, it makes me happy to see everyone agrees Scotch Bonnet is the best pepper.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Drunk Nerds posted:

How long does it take scotch bonnets and ghost peppers to ripen once they are grown?

I've already harvested a dozen thai dragons but my SBs and Ghosties are just slowly turning darker green every day for a month

This year was the first year I grew them. My plant got hit real hard by the early heatwaves. I'd say once the fruits got to their normal size it took.... maybe three weeks to go full yellow.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I think the bell pepper is the best pepper, a little too spicy sometimes tho

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm a Norwegian who grew up on food that would be accepted in the Midwest, so I'm not huge on hot food - but the Cholula Lime variant is great on everything. They have put a proper amount of lime in it, and it fills out the chili/vinegar taste nicely. Very mild, but eh, that means I can use more.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I really like this stuff:

https://hoffandpepper.com/products/hoffs-smoken-ghost-sauce

Moderate-Decent heat (if you live that spicy life) and really tasty.

People always talk about Cholula, and I guess it does taste good... but I don't really detect any heat in it. I wish they'd make a Cholula extra hot, or something.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mukulu posted:

This year was the first year I grew them. My plant got hit real hard by the early heatwaves. I'd say once the fruits got to their normal size it took.... maybe three weeks to go full yellow.

the heat has been really hard on my plants. have to water them multiple times a day or they just shrivel up. except for the runty little Thai ornamental which seems to enjoy the excessive heat and merrily pops out dozens of little peppers without complaint.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bought a four pack of this stuff the other day

it sure is spicy but its got kind of a weird flavor. the noodles were decent though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I really like this stuff:

https://hoffandpepper.com/products/hoffs-smoken-ghost-sauce

Moderate-Decent heat (if you live that spicy life) and really tasty.

People always talk about Cholula, and I guess it does taste good... but I don't really detect any heat in it. I wish they'd make a Cholula extra hot, or something.

Hell yes I got a bottle of this for my birthday from my parents this year, its amazing. Soooo smoky, goes amazing on fajitas!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

!Klams posted:

Here in England, we've got this really weird relationship with spice, where at any supermarket, the only fajitas I can buy are either mild or extra mild, but then at the weekend am spoilt for choice with immense vindaloo options.

This is very (though decreasingly?) true.

I think, though I'm not sure I could back this up, that people tend to be better at handling chili in stuff they're more used to.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Re-upped.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Spicy mayonnaise on fried chicken is giga underrated

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AHH F/UGH posted:

Spicy mayonnaise on fried chicken is giga underrated

Spicy honey is up there

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hot tree juice

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Ever put hot sauce on an apple? Cause I'm doing that right now.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m going to attempt to make apple cider hot sauce for Christmas

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

it was tangy, sweet, and hot. a nice ambrosia with that melindas scorpion pepper hot.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Sorry if y'all sleeping on Cholula Chipotle edition. Tabasco can get rekt

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tabasco is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheBizzness posted:

I’m going to attempt to make apple cider hot sauce for Christmas

The closest I’ve come to that is making one with apple cider vinegar.