Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

My dumb theory:

As established, all of the cast and crew members have their opening night handkerchief accounted for, including Ben, meaning that the one he was clutching when he fell is surplus. Ben would never have bothered ordering the hankies himself, he would have made Dickie do it. Dickie ordered an extra one for himself as a memento but when Ben realized his was missing (because Gregg stole it) and that Dickie had one he assumed that Dickie had stolen his, they argued, then Ben tried to physically wrestle the hanky away from Dickie and wound up accidentally falling down the open shaft.

I'm still on the secret twins train, hence the extra hanky, the inconsistent toxicology report, maybe even the whole thing with the cookies and the doctor (weight maintenance?). It's not one guy and two incidents, it's two guys and one incident a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think Steve Martin's goldfish subplot was a bit much.

Yeah this was a bit too silly for me as well. The show often toes that line but this went a bit over it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

AcidCat posted:

Yeah this was a bit too silly for me as well. The show often toes that line but this went a bit over it.

The worst part of the fish subplot was when it was immediately clear that fish was going to be flushed. Such an obvious gag.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

oh jay posted:

The worst part of the fish subplot was when it was immediately clear that fish was going to be flushed. Such an obvious gag.

I was all there for it since the question was how it would happen and I didn't expect "flush without thinking three minutes later."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It felt like a gimme for Steve Martin, like he asked for a silly bit more akin to his past roles.

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
I feel like the first "murder" is being way over-thought - Mabel's the only one who keeps suggesting poison. If you look at the first two episodes, both featured two "murders" in each episode, the first of which both times turned out to not be a murder (whether or not Theo pushed Zoe, it certainly wasn't premeditated; and, obviously, Becky is still alive). My theory is that, yes, Ben was alone in the dressing room, talking to the plate of cookies which he then devoured. He's been shown to have zero willpower and is currently on a violently anti-sugar diet. Load him up with a bunch of cookies and he's going to get cranky, yell at people, and potentially have a massive hyperglycaemic crash, especially if the massive blood sugar spike is paired with getting punched in the face and then going out in front of hot lights and high adrenaline. He passed out and bit his tongue on the way down (he said that the blood in his mouth was caused by this). Pretty straightforward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was more worried that the fish was going to die because of being put in tap water.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Theo still awaiting trial?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I noticed a very brief obscured shot of a photo of Teddy in Uma's apartment and it made me sad that Nathan Lane didn't end up in the episode sharing an awkward elevator ride with Matthew Broderick.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 14, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was waiting for Steve Martin to deliver a line from Ferris Bueller and the show did not disappoint

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo what a great episode.

Guys, I'm finally gonna be the one with the courage to say it: Meryl Streep is pretty good at this whole acting thing!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Leaning towards it being the producing couple family.

Also I'm trying to work out exactly what Dickie thinks is going on between him and Loretta.

Great episode, yeah.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given this show's always been a love letter to NYC, leaning fully into a broadway show setting has been indulgent as hell but a great, great choice.

Loretta :qq:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Holy poo poo. I thought last week's episode was going to be THE episode of the season, but this blows it out of the water.

The "previously on" laid out pretty much everything, but it was still so incredibly engaging. The only dangling thread from it was the paper shredder, and the highlighted pages from Ghost Light weren't used at all yet :thunk:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I've had that stupid patter song stuck in my head since the first time they played it :argh:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If they don't finish putting on this musical, I'll never find out which of the Pickwick triplets did it!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
didn't you pay attention?

the triplets didn't do it, the nanny did

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Madurai posted:

If they don't finish putting on this musical, I'll never find out which of the Pickwick triplets did it!

I think it's a Murder on the Orient Express situation

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that where everyone did it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ymgve posted:

Or maybe.

♪ It.

Was.

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! ♪

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cojawfee posted:

Is that where everyone did it?

Yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I thought they were going to do something with the dressing room tannoys. I’ve been in theatres where those are two-way allowing communication with the stage manager or whoever.

Weren’t all the interviews done by the time Oliver planted the camera?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Three little babes in their bassinets.
Angelic little triplets, or triple-threats?

They might have fooled the others, but they won't fool me.
It's time to give these thieving scheming three
The third degree.

Which of the Pickwick Triplets did it?
Who of the crew could commit this crime?
Might a little brat, make a mommy go splat?
It's a story pretty gory for a nursery rhyme.

Which of the spawn had the brawn to kill?
Will a baby get tried for matricide?
Coochy-coocyi-coo, time for you or you or you, to admit it.
So quick as a whip gotta pick which Pickwick Triplet did it.

Penelope in pink sure is making quite a stink,
Is she trying to throw me off the scent?
Though she bats her little eyes is she a killer in disguise
With a diaper full of criminal intent?

Preening Patrick is pernicious with an appetite so vicious
He would bite the hand that feeds him with a sneer.
But could that rotten tot be behind this evil plot,
Baby-stepping towards a murderous career?

Pouty little Paco's looking coy but he's a bad, bad boy,
Could Paco's passion prove apocalyptic?
With his paci and his rattle did this pisher go to battle
Proving he's the perp amidst this Pickwick triptych?

In this picaresque puzzle of the Pickwick pack
Will a lighthouse shed some light
On which kid gave old mom a whack?
There's an infant to indict.
I'll book this little crook tonight.
But...

Who of the crew would commit this crime?
Which little brat, made mommy go splat
Which Pickwick sib will be doing hard time?

Which little putz had the guts to kill?
Like a forensic pediatrician I'll complete this inquisition,
I will name the neonatal from the cradle that proved fatal,
I will find the perpetrator who did murder to their mater...

Or coochi-coochi-coo,
What if none of it is true?
Has my inspection been too cursory?
Should I look outside this nursery?
What if none of the Pickwick Triplets did it?
Who'd have had a menacing motive and hid it?
Who? Who? Who?
Well
I
Pick
Yoooooooooooou!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
There is a full version on Youtube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeKwyK8SRtI

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The orchestral version of the patter song was everything I wanted it to be and more. All of the core three had their moments to shine and I loved the ending of the episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Weren’t all the interviews done by the time Oliver planted the camera?

I think Oliver and Charles were so disruptive that those early attempts at interviews didn't really get a chance to go anywhere, then she was distracted by wanting to hear the patter song, and presumably then she did the full round of interviews afterwards.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SimonChris posted:

There is a full version on Youtube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeKwyK8SRtI

Ahhhh now I'm going to have to listen to this at work and this song is going to be running in my head for days.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ymgve posted:

The nanny's song essentially stated her intent to take the fall for them, mirroring what was happening offstage.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Madurai posted:

The nanny's song essentially stated her intent to take the fall for them, mirroring what was happening offstage.

I read it more as the nanny did the initial murder to protect the kids from abuse. Because a toddler shoving a rattle down someone’s throat is absurd. (Yes I know the absurdity is the whole point of the play)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha i keep replaying the song just because it's fun. id watch this play

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I give it 2:1 odds this show within a show actually happens on or off Broadway at some point in upcoming years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-Ewxm9uW4

:qq:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 20, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piv19tK4lH4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The S3 soundtrack has been released and there’s potentially some minor spoilers in the track listings.

One of the final tracks is called ‘Another Murder in the Building’ :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love how Steve Martin included a bunch of looks to the side at Martin Short to show how amazed he is that he's nailing the song.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was so caught up in being amazed by Steve Martin's performance the first time I saw it that I didn't notice the entire cast in the background just overjoyed and grooving along to see him nailing it :3:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I was so caught up in being amazed by Steve Martin's performance the first time I saw it that I didn't notice the entire cast in the background just overjoyed and grooving along to see him nailing it :3:

I'm an amateur performer in musical theatre and this is why band call/sitzprobe is everyone's favourite part of the process, exciting and wholesome as gently caress

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Do we know who wrote Pickwick Triplets? I know that Sara Bareilles did the nanny's song.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

oh jay posted:

Do we know who wrote Pickwick Triplets? I know that Sara Bareilles did the nanny's song.

According to Spotify, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman. Googling them says they are prolific in the musical business.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 22, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a small pop-up OMITB exhibition at the Goosebury (actually the United Palace Theatre in NYC), but it closes today (Sunday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

According to Spotify, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman. Googling them says they are prolific in the musical business.

I was actually pretty surprised to see that Pasek and Paul had a hand in writing that, they're the songwriters behind Greatest Showman, Dear Evan Hansen and "Another Day of Sun" from La La Land most famously. Among musical theatre aficionados they're kind of considered to be hacks, writing very pop-friendly arena-esque songs with the chorus chanting "woah" over the top constantly.

They also wrote Jasmine's new song for the Aladdin remake, which is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.