Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is the better TV musical I’ve heard in recent weeks, so they’re fine to my ears. Strange New Worlds did a musical ep recently and I don’t think any of the songs are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Adrianics posted:

I was actually pretty surprised to see that Pasek and Paul had a hand in writing that, they're the songwriters behind Greatest Showman, Dear Evan Hansen and "Another Day of Sun" from La La Land most famously. Among musical theatre aficionados they're kind of considered to be hacks, writing very pop-friendly arena-esque songs with the chorus chanting "woah" over the top constantly.

They also wrote Jasmine's new song for the Aladdin remake, which is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

They are credited on both songs. Maybe they were hired by the show to write the songs and then they brought in other people to make the songs better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This show has become incredibly self-indulgent and I don't mean that as a complaint, I loving love every second of it, and Mabel, Charles and Oliver bursting into the courtroom in wedding dress and tuxedos absolutely killed me :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Show's still a lot of fun but I swear it better not be Mabel's new boytoy because I am tired of murder mysteries where the killer was the helpful person who wormed their way into the investigation

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the regular tailoring habits and the whole thing with the biscuits (Ben worrying about his weight) continues to lead me towards the secret twins theory. Well, that and the covered up tox report -- how else would Dickie have done this!? -- the two deaths, the bruise on his face, all the thematic stuff this season with three kids. It might also explain where the extra hankie came from.

The shredder was shredding Dickie's bullet points, which might contain this info. (Or, at least, I don't think we're fully done with the shredder given that Jonathan is still piecing things together at the end of the episode.)

Killers are the mother/son producing duo. He was first poisoned with the biscuits, thanks mum, and then the son pushed him down the lift shaft trying to cover for her. Or vice versa?

Or maybe some sort of fratricide thing, I dunno. This is where my theory gets vague. That and how Dickie would have disposed of the spare body.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 26, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You realize the new episode was out when you posted, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't seen new episode yet but I want to restate I think there's no killer or conventional murderer now just to maximize chance of egg on face later.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I haven't seen new episode yet but I want to restate I think there's no killer or conventional murderer now just to maximize chance of egg on face later.

I think one of the seasons of Trial & Error did that. It was pretty good.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

oh jay posted:

I think one of the seasons of Trial & Error did that. It was pretty good.

Wasn’t it a bird or something that scared her and caused her to fall? John Lithgow should be in the 4th season of OMITB.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lmfao @ Paul Rudd’s orgasmic enjoyment of that cookie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Egg on my face but lol everyone called the cookie talk almost immediately itt

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Fathers of the bride? That's cute :3:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Was the egg in this episode's intro referring to how they appeared in the retelling of the interviews?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

The show is pushing the producer mom pretty hard. It feels like a bit of a red herring. IIRC season 1 did introduce the killer at the end of the penultimate episode, so there is precedent. But season 2 introduced a fakeout killer at the end of the penultimate episode. So "no actual murderer" would be a good twist if they want to continue mixing things up.

My Dickie theory has gotten torn up pretty badly by this episode but I am going to make one prediction: producer mom did drug Ben's cookie, but not with rat poison and not with the intent of murdering him. She just wanted to make him too sick to finish the performance, but it hit him harder than expected due to his fasting / shady grey market drug regimen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The main problem for me with the cookie thing is I think rat poison would be like, really obvious to sprinkle on something even in a cookie monster situation of him wolfing it down without tasting it? That said, maybe that poo poo is delicious. Apparently antifreeze is too and plenty of other deadly chemicals only taste or smell bad because of additives we add to reduce risk of people and animals consuming it.

Okay I looked it up and apparently rat poison can be sweet and look like candy so I guess it's actually fair game here.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

the holy poopacy posted:

My Dickie theory has gotten torn up pretty badly by this episode but I am going to make one prediction: producer mom did drug Ben's cookie, but not with rat poison and not with the intent of murdering him. She just wanted to make him too sick to finish the performance, but it hit him harder than expected due to his fasting / shady grey market drug regimen.

The mum poisoned it with morphine, not rat poison because she's very ill. She's trying to hand over her legacy to her son, she came out of the bathroom having just vomited, and Dickie said he hid the tox results because there was stuff on it Ben wouldn't want public, which I'm guessing is morphine, and Dickie thought he'd fallen off the ladder.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

No poison. Just a diabetic coma.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The amount of rat poison you can sprinkle on a cookie isn't remotely enough to kill an adult human, so it wouldn't make much difference either way. If she was trying to kill him that way, she was doing a really poor job of it.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 29, 2023

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

SimonChris posted:

The amount of rat poison you can sprinkle on a cookie isn't remotely enough to kill an adult human, so it wouldn't make much difference either way.

:crossarms:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't think there was any rat poison in the cookie. Ben fainted because he was having a panic attack and had been fasting. I think Ben simply fell into an empty elevator shaft because it was shown to be malfunctioning earlier in the first episode. The murderer is no one. Everything is just a series of unfortunate events.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I do hope that the detective is the one to do the final reveal, after the 3 give an impassioned case that turns out to be wrong. Guess that would be kind of a downer way to end things though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've loved this season but I've gotta say that the final episode felt a little weak. Liked where it ended with the teaser for next season, poor Sazz! and everything made sense but it felt kinda anemic as a finale, and some of the character beats from throughout the season felt somewhat unresolved, particularly around Mabel.

But also they keep making this show and I'll keep watching, love the characters and the setting and the building and how much it loves being New York.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Agreed, there was no resolution to the Mabel and Cinda interaction, even though she worked again with the guys. There was no real resolution to her not living at the Astoria either.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

cinda did it imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, it was her twin.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

her podcasting stunt double, scott bakula

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This show is a bit predictable, I was able to guess both twists, and I'm an idiot. But this show is so good. Can't wait for the next season.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I was quick to catch "Ben's talking to a cookie" but took until the finale to realize that it was the Producers. Mel Brooks and Broderick's cameos!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I can't be upset at how many twists I called, but I do wish we had seen more of the musical. Those sparkly sea creature costumes were fantastic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The meat of the episode was pretty by the numbers as far as how the plot, twists, and red herrings developed. Probably an over-correction from how cartoonishly convoluted S2's denouement was.

But I was all in for the final scene. I never though I could be so happy from seeing Jane Lynch loving die.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oh jay posted:

The meat of the episode was pretty by the numbers as far as how the plot, twists, and red herrings developed. Probably an over-correction from how cartoonishly convoluted S2's denouement was.

I did enjoy how heavily they workshopped the setup for the confrontation only to get one line in and get interrupted with,"Yeah I did it. :nallears:"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

oh jay posted:

But I was all in for the final scene. I never though I could be so happy from seeing Jane Lynch loving die.

Haha I felt like she was almost smiling, like, bizarrely amused she gets to be assassinated as Charles. Plus, even though someone itt already cast doubt on my nisconception this was the final season, nice to see it's renewed for a fourth after the typical cliffhanger ending. Wonder if there will be a time jump too.

The finale overall was fun, I kind of just want to see and hear the full musical. I need to know which of the pickwhick triplets did it, I don't buy that Meryl Streep would do it. I think we had a few theories that mightve been more fun for them to pull off, but this route does make sense with the rest of the season.

I should probably rewatch it tomorrow, I think I also missed whats gonna happen with the show with its main financiers going to jail.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Eh, after all the mental predictions such as twins and no murder just accident, this felt a little deflated. The reveal felt kind of obvious and surface-level, although as noted I did like how the three had a big denouement planned that was interrupted.

The joke with Oliver taking over the lead role was fantastic, as was the ending. It felt rote but also completely in line with the tone of the series that the musical ended up being a faint success.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am super curious now that I think of it: how next season will work.

If she's really dead (first time they've killed a beloved character who has been around for em all so far, so kinda doubting they'll pull that trick again) then there's not much time for them to set up shenanigans? Maybe next season will partially take place during this one, which makes me wonder if there's set up I totally missed already laid.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

My biggest question is who would want to kill Charles? He was clearly the intended target.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Adrianics posted:

My biggest question is who would want to kill Charles? He was clearly the intended target.

Obviously it is Scott Bakula

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Adrianics posted:

She mentioned when she came to the party that she wanted a moment with him to discuss "something sensitive" which may end up being linked to the shooting (or just as equally be a red herring!), and it's possible she was actually the intended target and they're going to spend the first part of the season chasing suspects with a vendetta against Charles, naturally assuming that she was just mistaken for him in the dark in his apartment.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Adrianics posted:

broderick

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The world has not done enough to deserve this plot, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This year's murder was definitely more simple and easy to guess, but I'd take something simple that makes sense with the clues we are given, over trying to outsmart the audience and throw some crazy twist in the finale just to catch people off guard.

I'm curious about what direction things will go next season. It seemed like they were preparing for a California season right before the final scene, which would be a nice way to freshen things up, but now maybe not.