Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 3 the loving cat in the freezer :vince:

This show is absolutely not going in the directions I thought it would be and I love it. I've always been a big fan of Steve Martin, Martin Short I've found hit or miss but he is very much a hit in this ("I was so young then..." "You were 58 years old."), and Selena Gomez I have seen almost nothing of before so I was pleasantly surprised at how well she fits in with the other two.

Gotta get caught up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like that they used a gimmick episode to push the plot on so much rather than just tell it’s own little side story.

Also I never noticed the time on the iPod-type screen when the episode title is revealed kinda lines up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that was a fun gimmick episode. I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed this show. How many eps will it be?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the clever conceit of revealing who the killer is in a completely silent episode -- in a show about murder podcasters wraps around to being almost too clever.

But it was very clever and I'll allow it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Yeah that was a fun gimmick episode. I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed this show. How many eps will it be?

Ten eps total, and it’s been renewed for season 2!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Escobarbarian posted:

Ten eps total, and it’s been renewed for season 2!

I wonder how that's going to mesh with the hints we've gotten in the series so far. We've seen some stuff from the future where Cinda is doing her own podcast about the whole situation in retrospect. I'm not sure I'd want the show to turn into a Scooby Doo style Mystery Inc thing with each season being a new "season" or story for their podcast. Maybe if it shifted to another group of people, but then we'd be losing the fun dynamic of these characters.

Theory time though:

So with Theo's flashbacks we can see that Teddy's scheme has been going on for a long time. Initially I though that maybe Theo and Teddy kinda fell into it via Theo working at a funeral home and realizing they could launder gold and jewelry for easy money. However, if they were doing it back when Theo was a teenager in high school (or early college I guess) then he wouldn't have necessarily been working at the funeral home or at least not potentially given the freedom to operate like he needs to (unless the funeral home is also owned by Teddy or a family member).

So this leads me to think that we may get a fun new twist soon: That Teddy started doing this specifically because of Oliver bankrupting him with his Splash musical. Since so far every character has had some kind of connection back to the others that set up the modern day mystery, I think it would tie in beautifully that the Domino chain was initiated by another of our Podcast Trio.

Which would leave Charles as the only member of the trio that doesn't seem to have any connection to the history of the murder. So far at least since we have an upcoming episode that has a preview description saying we'll get some surprising history to him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To keep it on point, S2 should be a complete disaster for them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally got caught up and

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This show rules and the latest episode might have been the best one yet.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing I'm curious about is whether Sarah Koenig watches this show, and if so, how she feels about her stand-in character's depiction.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read an article that said she hasn’t seen it but is aware of it/that Tina Fey is playing a character based on her

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Love how they called out fan culture here, especially with the shorthand/nicknames and obsessively figuring things out.

One thing I wasn't such a fan of was how they decided it was okay to just come up with a detailed play-by-play of how the night went down, with what could hardly even be called circumstantial evidence, and then publish it as the truth. Seems really reckless, even given everything else the group has gotten up to

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I dunno, it all seems really in-character to me.

Was that the season finale cliffhanger or do we have more episodes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We got two more episodes!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poo poo. gently caress. gently caress!

The moment where Oscar watches the video of Tim talking about the guilt he feels for keeping silent about Oscar's innocence was a real gut-punch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing I guess I missed: how did they know it was the cop who sent them the phone?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

One thing I guess I missed: how did they know it was the cop who sent them the phone?

I think they just occam's razor'd it: who else could have/would have done it?

The whole end of the episode I was saying Don't be dead, don't be dead, don't be dead, don't be dead, gently caress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fridging Amy Ryan should be against the law imo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The time limit felt very weird, Teddy Dimas told them to release the final episode by morning or he would kill them, but it's not like they were being targeted by trained killers, just an old man and his deaf son.
It felt like they weren't really in that much danger, and didn't need to rush the reveal of the killer when so much was unknown.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My guess is that Teddy figured if he hit them with a threat and a time limit, they would be in too much of a panic to stop and think about their options or that the threat could be easily countered by something as simple as the three of them just staying in the same place together. After all they're not exactly hardened professionals who know how to recognize an empty threat, they're two pensioners and a young woman kind of aimlessly trying to figure herself out and none of them have (probably) ever been threatened by a known murderer before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is airing on Disney+ in the UK, but a week behind the US. For us the Theo episode dropped today. :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that poo poo really annoys me. I think Y: The Last Man is two weeks behind which is just ridiculous (although it’s not that good of a show and I might drop it)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Better than the 6 months of the past. I hear Shadows hasn’t started back yet though, which is a shame.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

1000000%

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Escobarbarian posted:

So mad about this. I liked that character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get the feeling it was done as they knew a lot of people would be thinking she was the killer, especially given her eagerness to switch directions on who to concentrate on.

But agreed. Boo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think they could pull back, but if they don't it's certainly a big surprise. Respect though if they go through with it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

EL BROMANCE posted:

I get the feeling it was done as they knew a lot of people would be thinking she was the killer, especially given her eagerness to switch directions on who to concentrate on.

But agreed. Boo.

What if she actually was the killer, but someone else killed her?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

It's kinda weird to leave a note then just kill them that same night.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I’m also concerned at the possible change in tone. yeah someone was already dead but it wasn’t someone we liked. There was a whole ep about what a dick he was. There’s no way Steve Martin’s character can remain the slightly goofy straight man to Martin Short after his girlfriend loving dies. It kind of makes me think she’ll survive or that it was a fakeout.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tagichatn posted:

It's kinda weird to leave a note then just kill them that same night.

Wondering if a different person. Show runs for 10 seasons because of how many murderers are in the building.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hawkperson posted:

I’m also concerned at the possible change in tone. yeah someone was already dead but it wasn’t someone we liked. There was a whole ep about what a dick he was. There’s no way Steve Martin’s character can remain the slightly goofy straight man to Martin Short after his girlfriend loving dies. It kind of makes me think she’ll survive or that it was a fakeout.

Well we know that there's two deaths at the end of ep 1. The cold open has Mabel over a dead body with a tie dye hoodie. Maybe Oscar, maybe not, and he's pretty well liked.

I'm also pretty iffy on the twist this episode.

1) If Tim was poisoned then I don't think that the Dimas' are necessarily in the clear. You can poison someone and then be somewhere else super easily. Time release, hidden in his food somewhere, gas leaked into the apartment, etc. Them being on camera, outside, before the alarms went off doesn't preclude poisoning.

2) They're still super going to jail for the Grave Robbing. Or at least they should. At the very least that coming out will mean that every family that had a loved one go through that funeral home is going to want to know WTF was up and probably sue. Jail time or not they're done for, or at least should be.

3) The revelation that Theo may have had something to do with Zoe's death should mean he's going to get investigated as well. The chances are low that anything would come of that, but still.

Now to point 1, the poisoning doesn't explain the gunshot and blood. Granted, but that's not what killed him. Either that could be self inflicted because he knew he was poisoned and wanted to end it his way, or to try and make an investigation happen. So if poisoning was the method, the Dimas' still have plenty of opportunity, motive, and access to the murder method. Who would have easy access to tons of deadly chemicals that wouldn't be noticed missing? Funeral Homes.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Did not care much for this episode. I really enjoyed the last one, the silent ep, but man I really don't love the show getting so far flung with all the characters being introduced, the podcast fans did nothing for me. I ended up feeling like Oliver Putnam - get these drat people out of the room. I want to just watch my main 3 leads play off each other.

Also there's zero chance they fridged Amy Ryan's character. Don't fall for that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I respect the amount of bassoon music in the soundtrack.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I dunno, it all seems really in-character to me.

Was that the season finale cliffhanger or do we have more episodes?

haha I thought that was the season finale and I kept meaning to come post that I liked it and look forward to next season, byt just noticed next up after something I'm watching is a new episode! Sweet! And also lol that I would've totally accepted that episode as the big ending for season one with the hanging threads left for 2.

New ep was aight, picked up in the second half.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 13, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Was not expecting that twist at all. It was kinda meh at the beginning but it only got better.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My theory is that the first chair bassoonist prodigy was seeing Tim Kono and Amy Ryan tried to poison her to become first chair, and they got the glasses switched. Feels like they had her boyfriend be a weird little Tim Kono looking guy for a reason, at least. Then she tried to make it look like a suicide to cover it up. Not sure how the stabbing and the note on the door fit in though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mons Hubris posted:

My theory is that the first chair bassoonist prodigy was seeing Tim Kono and Amy Ryan tried to poison her to become first chair, and they got the glasses switched. Feels like they had her boyfriend be a weird little Tim Kono looking guy for a reason, at least. Then she tried to make it look like a suicide to cover it up. Not sure how the stabbing and the note on the door fit in though.

And the bassoon cleaner in the sex toy box?

I assume it's Bunny who's leaving the notes, and that Madame Not First Chair stabbed herself to push the investigation in Bunny's direction. Ironically, Bunny ends up getting killed by someone ELSE in the building, but we don't know who, and that will drive the narrative into season two. It'd fit with the flash forwards, and with the title of the show too.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 13, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That ending :stare:

This show is so loving good!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This show is generally pretty good about the musician stuff but “first chair bassoonist” is driving me wild lol. In professional orchestras it’s called a “principal” chair. Principal bassoonist. Saying “first chair bassoonist” is high school as hell which I guess fits in with the plot point haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

This twist threw me for a loop, but I can't make sense of the "stabbed herself" bit. I don't think Jan is has been set up as the kind of person who could stab herself and make it convincing. It could have been either Allison (first chair kid) after figuring out Jan did some poo poo, or her boyfriend (again after connecting some dots via the podcast) but we would have or should have seen some indication on their faces that they were surprised or shocked to see Jan still alive and kicking.

My problem is that this seems to be turning out to be an "un-fair" mystery where we simply do not have any of the information needed to guess correctly. I'd be kinda miffed if the killer turned out to be someone introduced in the last two episodes or even the final episode.