Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's funny, the bassoon cleaner was shown in one of the first episodes (personally I thought it was a cat toy and that the cat was involved somehow), so the clue was there from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

This show is generally pretty good about the musician stuff but “first chair bassoonist” is driving me wild lol. In professional orchestras it’s called a “principal” chair. Principal bassoonist. Saying “first chair bassoonist” is high school as hell which I guess fits in with the plot point haha.

lol is there actually any difference between the position besiders professionals wanting to pick a different name than the one they used in high school? Getting "sandwich artist" vibes from the name distinction.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think in some way Oscar is involved. I suspected for several weeks Amy Ryan's character was involved in the murder because: noir-inspired shows with a love interest almost always kills the love interest or the love interest is one of the killers. Of course, they're not going to kill Amy Ryan because this is a show thats very aware of the tropes of the genre and doesn't want to play into the "fridging" trope.

There's obviously something up with Oscar. It's too pat that he just comes back, everything's fine, and he and Mable have a nice romance. That's just not how this kind of media goes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I think the writers really love throwing curveballs at the viewers and are doing their best to throw out red herrings left and right to keep us off guard.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

lol is there actually any difference between the position besiders professionals wanting to pick a different name than the one they used in high school? Getting "sandwich artist" vibes from the name distinction.

Liiiiiike sorta. First chair implies the presence of a second chair, third chair etc where everyone is playing the same part but one person does it the best. Principal chair is leader of the section but in an orchestra the parts and seats are assigned and not necessarily in order of ability, and for winds specifically there is only one person per part so chair positions don’t make sense at all. Like for example I play horn, and I play 2nd horn in my orchestra out of 4 horn parts. But I’m not second chair, because I’m not second best. Horn 2 parts are the easiest of the 4 because of a whole buncha historical weirdness. So I sit 2nd in the section, I play the 2nd parts, I sit next to the principal chair who IS the best in the section and also plays 1st horn, but if I’m honest the 3rd horn player is wayyyyy better than me.

That also extends to the other kinda off aspect of this side plot where although principal bassoon does get all kinds of awesome solos…so do the other bassoon parts. It’s part of the mark of a good composer, that all the parts are roughly equally interesting, and that 1st/2nd/etc is more distinguished by range rather than by ability. That said, it’s totally believable for someone to jealously covet having the principal/1st part, as they do get featured more on average. (And that solo in Firebird does kick rear end.) It makes her come off as wayyyy more petty than intended lol, but it fits. Like it’s less “child gets no cake at a birthday party because she is pushed aside in favor of other child” and more “child gets a smaller flower on the frosting for her equal sized piece of cake and throws an unholy fit about it”

Edit: I have so much fun ranting about music things I forgot the main reason why it felt wrong, which is anyone who is so obsessed with the status/look/achievement of being principal chair as to lie about it would absolutely never diminish the role by calling it first chair (a term that implies that they’re not good enough to handle their part alone)

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 13, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks! I couldn't even learn recorder so I'm totally ignorant about the workings of organized music playing like that. That makes a lot of sense and the simpler ranking hierarchy doesn't in context!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I also suspected Amy Ryan from early on, but the most recent reveal was too inconclusive for it to be her, so I'm leaning fakeout.

I actually went on Wikipedia afterwards to check if Sting knows how to play the bassoon
He doesn't; could have been the greatest twist if he did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do like that, presuming Jan is a fakeout and is not the killer, then if the trio had actually indulged in her push to look back through the existing evidence, she would have immediately spotted the bassoon cleaner. Even if that initial presumption is wrong, then if Jan had seen the bassoon cleaner and not told them what it was, it would have served as evidence against her.

Next episode is the last?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Argue posted:

I also suspected Amy Ryan from early on, but the most recent reveal was too inconclusive for it to be her, so I'm leaning fakeout.

I actually went on Wikipedia afterwards to check if Sting knows how to play the bassoon
He doesn't; could have been the greatest twist if he did.

It still could happen, Amy Ryan doesn’t play it either though she’s doing a really good job holding it convincingly

Btw more random music nerd stuff that is spoiled just bc it’s related to the twist that bassoon cleaner is like, not a cleaner a pro would dare use on their instrument. Way too thick and it would get stuck soooo easily. But honestly I’m glad they chose that one, because it being a non-preferred type meant I didn’t recognize it and preserved the twist for me!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like that there's so much to talk about with regards to plot, none of us have taken the time to even mention the pretty awesome casting of Jane Lynch as the stunt double.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like that there's so much to talk about with regards to plot, none of us have taken the time to even mention the pretty awesome casting of Jane Lynch as the stunt double.

Oh yeah, that was great. I do hope that it doesn't end up with her dead though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that they keep the show somewhat serious but still throw in dumb jokes like how like Charles' stunt double even replaced him for sex scenes because of his weird hip movement.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I loved this because I always thought she looked a little like Tilda Swinton.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Truly amazing and everyone getting to react to her was fantastic. I gotta rewatch the scene of them at the table because I know I missed some sight gags

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Crain posted:

This twist threw me for a loop, but I can't make sense of the "stabbed herself" bit. I don't think Jan is has been set up as the kind of person who could stab herself and make it convincing. It could have been either Allison (first chair kid) after figuring out Jan did some poo poo, or her boyfriend (again after connecting some dots via the podcast) but we would have or should have seen some indication on their faces that they were surprised or shocked to see Jan still alive and kicking.

My problem is that this seems to be turning out to be an "un-fair" mystery where we simply do not have any of the information needed to guess correctly. I'd be kinda miffed if the killer turned out to be someone introduced in the last two episodes or even the final episode.

I caught up just in time for the last episode and this is exactly what I feel it's leaning towards. Hopefully they can find some way around it, but it sure feels like it's going that direction.

They introduced a new how and a new why Tim died and I feel it's going to be really hard to wrap that up in just one episode. After the twist in the second to last episode, I felt like the bassist poisoned Tim and he shot himself to draw attention to his death. But at the same time, Tim's phone and toxicology report weren't investigated by the police and the only person who seemingly had that much influence was Dimos. The other big question for me is who are Zoe's parents? They've introduced or mentioned all of the Hardy Boy's parents except for hers. I feel that reveal would be the answer for why and we now know the how. Also we have the whole Mabel covered in blood standing over a body thing so maybe that's an ending scene/beginning for season 2 rather then related to season 1 lol.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
They released the last 2 episodes in Europe, so we're up-to-date.

What was left to uncover? They solved 2 murders, an attempted mass-murder, proved an man innocent, and got 3 people arrested, I don't feel like anything was left to do on the Tim Kono case?

Looking forward to season 2 now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This show really was a nice surprise, I never expected it to be this good. I look forward to season 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I was uncertain about a season 2 but I absolutely loved the sequel hook, and I adored the season as a whole. This show took me completely by surprise, it was just wonderful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't believe this show went from "Is this going to be any good? I'll watch it because Steve Martin is in it, I owe him that much." And now I can't wait for the next season.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah awesome show, loved it. Would love to get more time with the rest of the dipshits in the building.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This show was so good. I know we've seen Steve Martin and Martin Short in a bunch of stuff over the last ~15 years, but this is the first thing I can remember. I'm grateful we have this, but wish they'd done a few more dramatic/series things. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and hopeful for a season 2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

S2 is already confirmed so hope not needed!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

frogbs posted:

This show was so good. I know we've seen Steve Martin and Martin Short in a bunch of stuff over the last ~15 years, but this is the first thing I can remember. I'm grateful we have this, but wish they'd done a few more dramatic/series things. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and hopeful for a season 2.

Steve Martin hasn't really done all that much in recent years. Martin Short has been in a lot of things and most of it is forgettable.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It sounds crazy but I wasn’t familiar with Martin Short before this show, other than his appearance on Schmigadoon!.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

It sounds crazy but I wasn’t familiar with Martin Short before this show, other than his appearance on Schmigadoon!.

Be glad you forgot his appearance in Arrested Development.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Oasx posted:

I was initially going to say 'Ae you 10!?', but thinking about it, he really hasn't been in much that most people would have seen in the last 15 years. Guest spots, sure, but no starring roles. It's really a shame, because he and Steve Martin have still got it, especially if the writing is strong (and I think Steve Martin is a good writer, and clearly he was in good company here).

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 20, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

frogbs posted:

I was initially going to say 'Ae you 10!?', but thinking about it, he really hasn't been in much that most people would have seen in the last 15 years.

I remember renting Innerspace on VHS back in the day, but looking at Wikipedia the last movie he was in that I saw was Mars Attacks.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Every episode intro has a little Easter egg and it's been fun to find them each time, but the last episode's Bunny curtains was perfect because it totally threw my wife and I off track wondering how they were involved until the end.

It wasn't a super satisfying ending but the show is so good I really can't complain.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
So here a thing I don't get, are we supposed to think that Oliver and Charles are renting their massive apartments? Oliver says to Mabel in one of the earlier episodes that both he and Charles have lived in the building since the 90s. I assume, being a once successful Broadway producer and a semi-famous former TV star, they would have mortgages and own, not rent. I assume that Teddy also wasn't renting. So I guess my point is, how can they get evicted by a tenant vote if they are owners and not renters? Mabel I can see since she's like subleasing her aunts place, maybe they could argue that she's not the owner so she can't stay but Oliver and Charles couldn't get kicked out unless the bank foreclosed on them. Am I completely wrong about this (very possible) or is it just a situation similar to the first chair issue brought up earlier in the thread?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Didn't Oliver's son ask him to sell the apartment? Sounds like he owns it and the eviction is just made up for drama.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

People haven't seen stunt casting until they've seen Rhianna in Bates Motel.

I totally forgot about this and they didn't even let her do the thing! It was fun watching her beat the poo poo out of a car though.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

So here a thing I don't get, are we supposed to think that Oliver and Charles are renting their massive apartments? Oliver says to Mabel in one of the earlier episodes that both he and Charles have lived in the building since the 90s. I assume, being a once successful Broadway producer and a semi-famous former TV star, they would have mortgages and own, not rent. I assume that Teddy also wasn't renting. So I guess my point is, how can they get evicted by a tenant vote if they are owners and not renters? Mabel I can see since she's like subleasing her aunts place, maybe they could argue that she's not the owner so she can't stay but Oliver and Charles couldn't get kicked out unless the bank foreclosed on them. Am I completely wrong about this (very possible) or is it just a situation similar to the first chair issue brought up earlier in the thread?

It's possible that they rent, The Belnord, where they film, was Rent Controlled until around 2015.

Even if they own the apartments, there's clearly a Co-op board and they're able to evict if fees aren't paid, or any reason they can get away with. The Co-op would either buy the Apartment from the evictee for a low rate, or just claim that the fees involved were covered by the price of the apartment.

The Belnord is in the process of selling it's condos for around $1.35 billion, so it's a good deal if you can get it!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What a delightful killer, loved seeing Holly relish in her evil deeds, she was surprisingly good at that role. I laughed a lot in this finale, even some of the physical comedy from martin and short got me.

I didn't expect to finish this season, just watched it b/c it was big ad on hulu and had a weird name but I really enjoyed this show and the music especially. I wonder if next season they'll switch it up since the oboe probably won't be as secretly relevant.

The next season hook was good too -- who called the boys to tell them to evac, why was bunny even in mabel's room? Who called the pigs presumably before the death even occurred or even after?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Khanstant posted:

The next season hook was good too -- who called the boys to tell them to evac, why was bunny even in mabel's room? Who called the pigs presumably before the death even occurred or even after?

And the biggest question: why the hoodie?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right? hard to imagine Bunny throwing on the podcast merch hoodie so a surprise night mabel visit?

Also knowing where this show can go, I wonder if we get another juicy villain monologue in the end or if that was specific to the serial killer s1.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
drat, at the end where they finally got Jan I was going over all the stuff that felt dropped or left out.

Like how we had a flash forward with Cinda Canning talking about the case.

And the cold opener never getting tied into anything.

Also how the cat's toxicology screen never seemed to pop back up as a plot point.

And then in the last 5 minutes we get the full hook for season 2. Goddamn.

I like how the show runners made it super, ultra, crystal clear how much of a gigantic rear end in a top hat Cinda is.

I'm assuming that even with all three arrested at the end, season 2 will basically end up with only Mabel remaining in custody. Like Charles and Oliver showed up late with nothing on them and I'm sure there'll be footage of them on the roof/in the hallways and away from the murder when it would have happened.

I'm assuming that we'll have a three way conflict next season. Charles and Oliver vs. The new killer vs. Cinda. I don't think Cinda will be trying to frame them, but she'll definitely be an antagonist causing problems for them.

Khanstant posted:

Right? hard to imagine Bunny throwing on the podcast merch hoodie so a surprise night mabel visit?

Also knowing where this show can go, I wonder if we get another juicy villain monologue in the end or if that was specific to the serial killer s1.

My gf has a theory that the killer put the hoodie on her to drive a rift between her and Oscar. Because "if she killed someone in a tie dye hoodie, the they could think she was trying to kill Oscar for some reason". But I don't think that works because 1) even with the hoodie Oscar and Bunny look nothing alike in body shape or height 2) Given the way events played out there should be no way that Oscar knows in that final scene that it's bunny who is dead, that she was wearing a hoodie, and as someone who was also framed for murder that Oscar wouldn't believe her.

Cojawfee posted:

Steve Martin hasn't really done all that much in recent years.

He's been doing tons of stuff, but he's gone almost all in on his music for the last few years. Working with the Steep Canyon Rangers, he's done a few blue grass and country albums with Edie Brickell. He's put out a new album almost every couple of years at this rate. He's also done a couple of appearances for netflix stuff and his netflix special with Martin Short. He's slowed down, usually one or two projects a year at most, but he's still working. He's just also really wanted to pursue his music for a long time and felt that now was the time since his "star" had waned and he had the space for it.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 20, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that fun with the character, or is it supposed to be a reference to the real person the character evokes? The uhhh whatever that big npr podcast was about that guy who didn't do the thing he in jail for probably. i vaguely remember her getting some flak for being the version of that show to get widestream attention but not that she was a credit stealing meanie.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Khanstant posted:

Is that fun with the character, or is it supposed to be a reference to the real person the character evokes? The uhhh whatever that big npr podcast was about that guy who didn't do the thing he in jail for probably. i vaguely remember her getting some flak for being the version of that show to get widestream attention but not that she was a credit stealing meanie.

Yeah she's clearly based on Sarah Koenig of Serial fame.

My GF is deep in the true crime ecosystem and had to fill me in on that. No idea if Sarah Koenig has a reputation behind the scenes for being a total rear end in a top hat though...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crain posted:

No idea if Sarah Koenig has a reputation behind the scenes for being a total rear end in a top hat though...

Not quite like that maybe but there were a lot of issues with Serial that I think have gotten more attention over the years, particularly 1) Koenig ignoring the parents of the victim saying that didn't want her to do the show; 2) the show unleashing legions of rear end in a top hat fans who harassed the actual people Serial covered, and her not really responding to the force she unleashed; 3) the show heavily, heavily plays into the "Asian model minority/Blacks as thugs" trope; and 4) related to that, despite never actually finding any evidence that Adnan was innocent, heavily tacking in that direction while trying to frame Adnan's Black friend for the crime as much as she could without making herself legally liable (this went to really hilarious dimensions, like saying the Baltimore Police didn't investigate the Black guy because they're biased in favor of Black people). And ultimately she absolutely was a major example of upper-middle class liberal white savior complex.

I think it's also worth noting that Serial did three seasons, and the first season is the only thing it's remembered for. The second season just completely tanked on every level (but provided some unintentional humor that came from its subject). I never bothered with season 3, and don't know anyone who did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

Didn't Oliver's son ask him to sell the apartment? Sounds like he owns it and the eviction is just made up for drama.

The impression I got was that Oliver hadn't been keeping up with the building fees, so though he owned the apartment he wasn't meeting his legal/financial obligations of being part of the building. Charles seemingly has no money issues whatsoever thanks to Brazzos but I'm assuming that the building co-op still has the power to evict somebody who owns their own apartment if their presence is considered a massive problem for every other tenant (in this case by hitting a certain percentage of the votes).

Like I imagine even if Teddy made bail he wouldn't be welcome back in the building. I assume (I have no idea how New York's tenancy laws work) that they couldn't force an owner to sell their apartment but they could ban them from living there, so they'd have to rent it to somebody else or let them live there or something?