Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Finally beat this game. Took a month!

how many hrs did your playthrough take? also i read a little bit that theres some city management/army management in the game as well, is it possible to skip or automate that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nutmeg posted:

how many hrs did your playthrough take? also i read a little bit that theres some city management/army management in the game as well, is it possible to skip or automate that stuff?

About 140 hours, doing 100%. There are mods to skip that stuff, but they break the secret true ending... Which you definitely would never get without a guide.

I actually ended up liking the army stuff, and the city building is super watered down from Kingmaker. Only 4 slots per settlement.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Shitfinder: poo

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

Shitfinder: poo

Better go catch it!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pewdiepie posted:

Better go catch it!

*catches you*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I started the first Pathfinder and it kicks rear end. It feels way more like Baldur's Gate than any of the stuff like Pillars of Eternity I've played, maybe because the Pathfinder system is basically D&D. And the turn based mode is nice

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Kingmaker is a more complete game and I'd recommend it over Wrath right now. But be warned gamer: it is a very long game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Average Bear posted:

Kingmaker is a more complete game and I'd recommend it over Wrath right now. But be warned gamer: it is a very long game.

Yeah it seems huge. Also one of the main quests seems to be time sensitive, I have like 3 months to do it but do I need to really worry about it lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah it seems huge. Also one of the main quests seems to be time sensitive, I have like 3 months to do it but do I need to really worry about it lol

No, that's tons of time to do everything. Every chapter is actually time sensitive, but you always get time for exploring.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

the couple hours I played involved knocking out some side content and a few stages of the main quests and it took maybe 2 days in game including travel time and resting lol. i think it's way more generous than it sounds like

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
can you go into this without knowing how d&d typically works? ive watched a little gameplay and got immediately intimidated but also thought it's just something i'd have to get used to if i give it a try. im just used to bigger numbers = better without having to think about it too much.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nutmeg posted:

can you go into this without knowing how d&d typically works? ive watched a little gameplay and got immediately intimidated but also thought it's just something i'd have to get used to if i give it a try. im just used to bigger numbers = better without having to think about it too much.

Yeah, and you'll learn the mechanics by osmosis by playing. You can respec for free as many times as you want, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

d&d is weirdly easy to learn tbh. if you're playing a spellcaster then put your best score into whatever the spellcasting stat is (int for wizards, cha for sorcerers wis for clerics and druids, etc). if you're playing a fighter type, you want strength and con. there are classes like monks and paladins where it matters more, but it's usually like two minutes of reading to figure out what they need. not sure how much the pathfinder games carry stuff over though.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Nutmeg posted:

read the full explanation of advanced dungeons and dragons rules that came with the eye of the beholder games in the 90s instead

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nutmeg posted:

Small children have been learning to play D&D since the 80s and the video games have a computer automating most of the maths for you, you'll manage

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the game just straight up tells you which stats are important for your class

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

d&d is weirdly easy to learn tbh. if you're playing a spellcaster then put your best score into whatever the spellcasting stat is (int for wizards, cha for sorcerers wis for clerics and druids, etc). if you're playing a fighter type, you want strength and con. there are classes like monks and paladins where it matters more, but it's usually like two minutes of reading to figure out what they need. not sure how much the pathfinder games carry stuff over though.

The first game at least is almost an exact replication of the tabletop rules. I never played Pathfinder but I played tons of D&D 3.5 so everything made sense to me immediately lol

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Larry Parrish posted:

also the game just straight up tells you which stats are important for your class

gotcha. i did see that theres an auto level/build button that will automatically set your character class up and level up for you but that feels like it would take some of the fun out of it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nutmeg posted:

gotcha. i did see that theres an auto level/build button that will automatically set your character class up and level up for you but that feels like it would take some of the fun out of it.

Don't use that too much it picks insanely stupid stuff. It's fine for the stats themselves but you want to check its choices for skills, spells etc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

downloading this because ive been wanting to play dnd lately;; however this is single player - _ - and i think most likely my 10 year old computer wont be able to run it but i will try .

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one player d&d must be weird in a lot of ways. haste is definitely one of the most powerful spells in every version of 3rd ed but it's because you cast it on all the fighters.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
There's a mythic feat that turns 5 minute or higher spell durations into 24 hours, so there's ways to get 24 hour haste. Pretty cool.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

sup bitches

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

YESSS I loving DID IT..ABOUT 1.5 HRS OF STRATEGY AND I loving FINALLY DID IT . BEAT THE WATER ELEMENTAL AT LEVEL 2 WITH 4 PERSON PARTY IN THE MIRROR MAZE THING..FEAR ME MOTHER FUCKERS. MUAHAHAHHAA

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

level 2 paladin with masterwork greatsword uses charge from stealth
>bulls strength
>enlarge person
>bears endurance
>bless
15 damage

then me, the level 2 wizard uses focus spell on magic missle to hit 14 damage

its all game over form there bitches. suck my loving dick

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

and im playing on 'daring' dunno if thats pussy or not

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Bought this today and I had like 30 minutes to kill before work and thought I'd get started with character creation but I didn't even really finish reading the list of classes lol. Lots of them look really cool but several of the coolest ones have a big warning saying "Not recommended for new players" and I'm wondering if I should go against it or not. Witch particularly looks sick

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Okay, just solved the Red Blue Green Yellow switches in the maze. This game loving owns so far. Proud of myself lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ended up going for Oracle, seems pretty straightforward and fairly versatile depending on what I want to spec into late game. I know respecs at least exist in the game, but are they rare/costly?

edit: also I ended the night with like 30 wiki browser tabs open from looking at poo poo in the in-game encyclopedia, then looking up terms from that online. Pathfinder lore seems really stupid/cool, I like that the planet Earth exists in the game world along with the entire Cthulhu mythos.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

Bought this today and I had like 30 minutes to kill before work and thought I'd get started with character creation but I didn't even really finish reading the list of classes lol. Lots of them look really cool but several of the coolest ones have a big warning saying "Not recommended for new players" and I'm wondering if I should go against it or not. Witch particularly looks sick

I was bummed to read that it's more of a "protagonist and friends" style game rather than "equal adventuring party" because I'm never going to have time to replay it and only making one character and maybe a couple of mercenaries feels like a huge waste, especially if the latter don't get the prestige class paths or whatever they're called

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

goferchan posted:

Ended up going for Oracle, seems pretty straightforward and fairly versatile depending on what I want to spec into late game. I know respecs at least exist in the game, but are they rare/costly?

edit: also I ended the night with like 30 wiki browser tabs open from looking at poo poo in the in-game encyclopedia, then looking up terms from that online. Pathfinder lore seems really stupid/cool, I like that the planet Earth exists in the game world along with the entire Cthulhu mythos.

The respecs are free and you can do them as many times as you want whenever you go into town.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

was thinking on going oracle myself as i want to play with spells and get used to casting as i plan to go full wizard when baldurs gate 3 comes out

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
starting this bad boy. from what ive read it seems core difficulty is more the "base" game without any modifiers to make it easier on the player except for the extra monsters maybe? i want to play it that way with the extra monsters turned to normal but the game is telling me if im a noob i shouldnt mess with core, but im not sitting in the noob chair im in my new steelcase and i want a real adventure drat it

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Nutmeg posted:

starting this bad boy. from what ive read it seems core difficulty is more the "base" game without any modifiers to make it easier on the player except for the extra monsters maybe? i want to play it that way with the extra monsters turned to normal but the game is telling me if im a noob i shouldnt mess with core, but im not sitting in the noob chair im in my new steelcase and i want a real adventure drat it

go daring

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nutmeg posted:

go big or go home imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i figured out 3rd ed d&d as a retarded 13 year old, cant be that hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nutmeg posted:

I played on Core, it's a good challenge. But it's not 100% by the book. Monsters have stats and abilities according to their level classes, but they add extra classes/levels on to monsters. That's why Normal is what they balanced around.

And you can change any difficulty setting at any time if you don't like it.