Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

You've just returned from an eighteen month expedition to The New World and while you were there you saw many never-before-seen animals.

You've now returned to The Old World and you want to tell all of your friends about the cool animals you saw. But these animals are never-before-seen and have not yet been named.

You are now describing the animals to a Royal Artist who will sketch them so that you can hang posters on your walls and show all your friends.

Rules
Provide a physical description of a wild new animal that you spotted
Do not post the animal's name
We can all name the animal together when we have a drawing maybe

You can be a Royal Artist too and please do because I am not dedicated enough to draw every post ok

This is inspired by medieval painters who were trying to paint animals people were telling them about but had no idea what they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
its got this huge brown body, right? It looks like a cow body, but brown and really shaggy. ITs also got this hosed up giant head that it hits other things with. Oh, and its got horns too.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i flunked out posted:

its got this huge brown body, right? It looks like a cow body, but brown and really shaggy. ITs also got this hosed up giant head that it hits other things with. Oh, and its got horns too.

i think i've seen one of these. huge antlers, right? lives in a swamp, legs longer than the day, knobbly knees to put a prince to shame and meat likened unto a cow, but leaner.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

the unabonger

Heather Papps posted:

i think i've seen one of these. huge antlers, right? lives in a swamp, legs longer than the day, knobbly knees to put a prince to shame and meat likened unto a cow, but leaner.

Ah yes, I see you know of these creatures as well.

TedHornsby

Refined Taste
So it's a lot like a sheep, right? But it's got this real long neck and it spit on me.

deep dish peat moss

i flunked out posted:

Heather Papps posted:

Well is 'is 'ere the beast yer majesties? Some kinda, err, shaggy, swamp-walkin' hammer'ead?

Heather Papps

hello friend

deep dish peat moss posted:

Well is 'is 'ere the beast yer majesties? Some kinda, err, shaggy, swamp-walkin' hammer'ead?

i forgot to mention the tongue but you have reached beyond my words and extracted the truth of it

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

deep dish peat moss

My colleague at the Royal Society For Royal Artists Society, who has seen the beast you describe before, has informed me of the correct shape of the thing's skull

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i flunked out posted:

uhh yeah, a cow? oh yeah i've definitely seen one of those before, i can do this

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

deep dish peat moss

How wonderful! It appears this beast may have regional variations!

Manifisto

picture if you will a beast about the size of a fattish person with a bulbous nose, prehensile lips, and whiskers. a head too small for its body with kind of a droopy dog demeanor. flippers, a broad paddle of a tail, and skin like a well used change purse. slow, lazy, reminiscent of the floridians who live in their habitat except much, much more easygoing. also could be a rather homely mermaid, our party disagrees on this point.

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
A foul creature that stands taller than most men. It's gait is rigid and when at rest it bends slightly forward. The skin sags off the creature as if trying to escape from the fatty tissue that is below, of which there is abundance. Oils and salts leak out of this creature constantly but it pacifies these expressions by dabbing warm-toned powders it finds from it's surroundings on its skin. This combination of powders and oils lend to the pasty and muddy overall appearance of the skin. The creature belts out utterences from it's face hole that is positioned just above a sack of excess skin. While mostly hairless, a poignant tuft of hair struggles to find it's place upon the creature's head as if two opposing sides of a magnet were at work not letting it rest.

Stoner Sloth

a most curious creature with parts and pieces from diverse sources - truly an abomination in the eyes of god. it has the bill of a duck which it uses to dive down and search out food. despite this it is hairy not feathered, and has four webbed flippers and a flat tale like that of a beaver. the males have sharp, venomous spines with which they attempt to fight for the attentions of the fairer sex. despite being covered in thick, waterproof fur it lays eggs like a bird or a snake!

hope this counts even though it's not new world exactly

deep dish peat moss

TedHornsby posted:

So it's a lot like a sheep, right? But it's got this real long neck and it spit on me.

E. Gad! What did the beast spit! was it venom?!

deep dish peat moss

Manifisto posted:

picture if you will a beast about the size of a fattish person with a bulbous nose, prehensile lips, and whiskers. a head too small for its body with kind of a droopy dog demeanor. flippers, a broad paddle of a tail, and skin like a well used change purse. slow, lazy, reminiscent of the floridians who live in their habitat except much, much more easygoing. also could be a rather homely mermaid, our party disagrees on this point.

Ah, yes! yes! I have seen the skin of the florida aligators. I know just what you mean.

Finger Prince

A beast of the vast untouched mountain ranges, this creature is a fearsome in countenance, with fangs like the fabled lion, and claws like a dragon. It has a broad head and protruding snout, ears atop. The claws are arranged pointing all forward. It walks on all fours, but can stand on its hind legs, reaching twice the height of a man. It is covered in a coarse brown hair, and once full of the red fish and berries it prefers to eat, it becomes fat as a feasting nobleman.

Manifisto

Ah, yes! yes! I have seen the skin of the florida aligators. I know just what you mean.

:eyepop: hubba hubba! :popeye:

ty nesamdoom!

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
picture this in your minds eye if you can

a great beast, like two norsemen running one in front of one another, and betwixt-- a tent of bear skins

surrounding their frames are more bearskins, and atop the front shoulders, a great mound of bearskins

the beast's head is a kind of oafish stump wherein sit, peeking out of bearskins of course, two beady black eyes and two short, curved black horns

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Ventral EggSac

a creature similar in shape and countenance to a young boy, though not in posture or amount of hair (of which there is a great abundance). a great fifth limb extends from its fundament, and a scream like the opening of the gates of damnated hell, during which the other creatures in the vicinity join in, such as to give the impression there are a great many of them, be there only two or three.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

This vile reptile crawleth upone the grounde upon six tiny legges, and he be exceedingly large for his type, though may a man still crush hime under his boote. Though he may fly occasionally upon two smalle winges like a bat which he keepeth tight against his round back as a sort of armour against his manie enemies, he prefereth to crawle amonge the mouldering leafes or upon the barke of a mighty oak. In truth though I have lefte the most astonishinge detail about this reptile to the ende: from his head for a mouth protrudeth two vast growths, much like the antleres of a deere but smaller to fit upone the body of this beaste, though still nearly so large as the reste of of him put all together. With these monstrouse growthes he may move about things too huge to comprehende-it would would be as if a man of mild strengthe could hefte with his own teeths a bullock and cart entire, and move it to divers places as if it were but a feathere.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Follow. But! Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

escapegoat
A rodent of the orient, yellow in hue, with long pointy ears tipped in black and brown stripes upon its back. Its tail is queerly shaped, for it is flat and angular, and broader at the tip than at the base. According to local folklore these creatures can produce lightning from the bright red spots that adorn their cheeks, and that contact with a fabled magic stone can cause the creature to metamorphose into a larger and more powerful form.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This vile reptile crawleth upone the grounde upon six tiny legges, and he be exceedingly large for his type, though may a man still crush hime under his boote. Though he may fly occasionally upon two smalle winges like a bat which he keepeth tight against his round back as a sort of armour against his manie enemies, he prefereth to crawle amonge the mouldering leafes or upon the barke of a mighty oak. In truth though I have lefte the most astonishinge detail about this reptile to the ende: from his head for a mouth protrudeth two vast growths, much like the antleres of a deere but smaller to fit upone the body of this beaste, though still nearly so large as the reste of of him put all together. With these monstrouse growthes he may move about things too huge to comprehende-it would would be as if a man of mild strengthe could hefte with his own teeths a bullock and cart entire, and move it to divers places as if it were but a feathere.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:love: this thread op

deep dish peat moss

KaBob posted:

A foul creature that stands taller than most men. It's gait is rigid and when at rest it bends slightly forward. The skin sags off the creature as if trying to escape from the fatty tissue that is below, of which there is abundance. Oils and salts leak out of this creature constantly but it pacifies these expressions by dabbing warm-toned powders it finds from it's surroundings on its skin. This combination of powders and oils lend to the pasty and muddy overall appearance of the skin. The creature belts out utterences from it's face hole that is positioned just above a sack of excess skin. While mostly hairless, a poignant tuft of hair struggles to find it's place upon the creature's head as if two opposing sides of a magnet were at work not letting it rest.

Fascinating! Where do its brush-like hands come from?!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Yep, that's Trump alright. XD

deep dish peat moss

Stoner Sloth posted:

a most curious creature with parts and pieces from diverse sources - truly an abomination in the eyes of god. it has the bill of a duck which it uses to dive down and search out food. despite this it is hairy not feathered, and has four webbed flippers and a flat tale like that of a beaver. the males have sharp, venomous spines with which they attempt to fight for the attentions of the fairer sex. despite being covered in thick, waterproof fur it lays eggs like a bird or a snake!

hope this counts even though it's not new world exactly

Why... I can't even imagine where the spines would go! I have thus drawn a female of the species:

deep dish peat moss

Finger Prince posted:

A beast of the vast untouched mountain ranges, this creature is a fearsome in countenance, with fangs like the fabled lion, and claws like a dragon. It has a broad head and protruding snout, ears atop. The claws are arranged pointing all forward. It walks on all fours, but can stand on its hind legs, reaching twice the height of a man. It is covered in a coarse brown hair, and once full of the red fish and berries it prefers to eat, it becomes fat as a feasting nobleman.

She looks positively dashing!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 11, 2021

deep dish peat moss

I am told that they carry their young

Manifisto

Why... I can't even imagine where the spines would go! I have thus drawn a female of the species:

ty nesamdoom!

deep dish peat moss

Sherbert Hoover posted:

picture this in your minds eye if you can

a great beast, like two norsemen running one in front of one another, and betwixt-- a tent of bear skins

surrounding their frames are more bearskins, and atop the front shoulders, a great mound of bearskins

the beast's head is a kind of oafish stump wherein sit, peeking out of bearskins of course, two beady black eyes and two short, curved black horns

I have it on my mind that this is your beast

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
yes, that must be it-- the bearfellow

Stoner Sloth

you have perfectly captured the likeness of this strange beast!

seriously this thread is rad thanks ddpm!

nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

tis' a strange and slimy creature 'pon which today i write. Bulbous once in the middle, centre-heavy. Backlegs fold and folding back, collapsing flat as an unopened yardstick, each tipped with a handful (footful, I suppose, ha-ah!) of lollipopped toes. Traverse rostrally from the body bulge to pass matched arms, rotated inward as if to greet one another when the creature rests still. Rostral further and find its flattened head, a slimy balloon popped and deflated. Perfect orbed eyes erupt from the slimy flatness 'pon each side atop and look below and between, the nose erodes to near nothing, simply two holes remain whence it once was. A crevace mouth splits the jaw from all above, somewhere inside a gigantic wormy tongue. A lazy chap, unable to opt for water or land, he instead doddles tween the two carefree. Seems most particularly relaxed mid-week.