Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
Okay, so, I just remembered a bunch of like, gameplay details of an RPG I played a handful of years ago and my inability to remember the title is bothering me IMMENSELY, so, I am calling upon the goons to see if any of ya'll can figure it out based on what I remember.

So, I remember it was some kind of like, steampunk setting where everything was run by like, magitech powered by dark crystals and this isn't really presented as a bad thing even though it is potentially possibly definitely the reason the setting's monsters show up.

I remember that combat took place in like, a pair of grids and was turn based. I think the grids were 4x4 or 4x3? with one team on each grid, 4 party members active at once and some units being tagged as 'defenders', who render anyone standing behind them 'immune' to targeting, even though nearly every enemy and party member I saw had a way around that. The core mechanic in combat was 'stress', a bar that goes up when units attack or are hit by certain attacks and if it gets capped the unit becomes stunned for like, a turn. I don't remember how it goes down. Also, progression for everyone except the main character was pretty much all equipment based and there was a LOT of crafting, to the point that getting crafting supplies was the only reason to fight most enemies to my recollection.

I remember the only defender in the party during the parts I played was a dude with like, a cool purple electricity barrier gauntlet and like, different energy melee weapons and lightning pistols I think? He might have had daddy issues.

The main character was like, a teenage boy, I believe he had white hair and started the game shirtless for some reason. His gimmick is that when he's below half stress he uses light magic to deal light damage and heal and buff his friends, and when he's above half he goes into edgy boy mode and uses dark magic to harm and debuff enemies. I recall it being a serious pain in the rear end to keep his stress down because all of his abilities had huge stress costs.

Then there was a large sniper man with a big rifle and a comically oversized pistol and the rifle was nearly unusable because it requires him to aim for a turn, but cancels if he gets hit or the enemy moves before he fires and most enemies can just toss attacks that ignore defenders and a lot of them can just move too, often while doing attacks. But if you did get to fire the rifle it would basically always be an instant kill and he had like, a consumable you could craft but only have like, 1 or 2 of on hand for some reason that allows him to fire the rifle even if he gets hit for a turn.

And there was a thief/bartender lady who teleports into the enemy grid to smack them in the face, but that means she can only attack people who have empty spaces next to them, and for one of her attacks only people with empty space behind them.

There were these really annoying enemies called 'Valkyries' who were women in heavy armor with jetpacks and an unlimited supply of javelins that ignore defenders as well as the ability to move while performing various other attacks. When you get one as a party member her jetpack isn't working right, and unlike the enemies she can only throw javs at people in the same row as her, and can't ignore defenders, and only has like 1 good attack which requires a turn of setup, and is super fragile, and just generally a bitch to the other party members, so, she wasn't really worth a party slot unless someone else was tapped out.

I recall the story involved being in this big steampunk city that's like, under siege by an enemy army that happens to include Valkyries, but on the rare occasion that you meet the side you're supposed to be on they attack you too, and you eventually go kill the pope and then skip town. That's as far as I played because the game crashed upon talking to NPCs immediately after skipping town.

The last thing I remember is that I broke the game's economy by gathering water, because water can be sold for like, a dollar, and inventory limits aren't a thing, and there's a pump right outside a store that has no money or stock limit that you can get infinite water from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU