Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

FSU should hire Deion, gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It took Sark two weeks to collect a worse loss than Tom Herman had in 4 years, I think making coaching hires/fires based on the loving choo choo song is going to work out great.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 12, 2021

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I thought Tennessee looked as decent as I could have expected. I assumed we would have a rough year given the circumstances but I did like what I saw yesterday. Special teams did an excellent job. Our defense did good and forced some 3-and-outs in the fourth quarter. I’m hoping we stick with Hooker as our QB and things can get humming on offense. Granted being down RBs #1 and #2 and WR #1 doesn’t help. We’ve got TN Tech next week before making a trip down to the Swamp.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Gabe Birkic is my favorite player on this Oklahoma team and he's gonna walk away with the groza. He's got 4 50+ field goals already this year including 3 of them at 56 yards. Aparently you can beat an fcs cupcake so bad you even bring on the backup kicker. Also fire Lincoln Riley for scoring with less than 2 minutes remaining and ruining a 69-0 score.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Mullen is willing to admit defeat for next week, presumably to protect his fledgling QB. I dunno.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32190491/florida-gators-sticking-emory-jones-starting-quarterback-anthony-richardson

It makes absolutely no strategic sense to announce it right after the game if there was a change

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/razorbackfb/status/1436878553606356996?s=21

MSU soundly defeated the mighty Penguins of Youngstown. After Miami’s first couple of games I’m not really scared of them (if App State had to settle for a field goal in the second half because their QB threw a terrible ball on what should’ve been a walk-in TD, then lost by 2). I don’t think the streak of 75-yard touchdowns on the first play from scrimmage will continue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa State could barely get anything going offensively. We always struggle hard against a competent D. I think it’s time we moved on from our OC. Purdy looked scared for half the game with one terrible drive that resulted in three lost yardage plays in a row.

Hopefully things turn around soon. The Big 12 still has plenty of beatable teams, but once again ISU is failing to live up to high expectations. Not sure why I bothered to buy into the hype.

Good news is Texas apparently still sucks.

I think you guys will beat the hell out of UNLV next week and then be fine, kinda like a couple years ago when you lit up a lovely ULM team and then went on a run. You should still finish as a ranked team and could be the second best team in the conference. Your defense is really good.

Agreed on Tom Manning though, I have never understood why he was considered a future head coach.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern looked pretty bad against an FCS team, this is going to be a long season.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Has Kerry Coombs been fired yet? I think I'll keep on beating that drum.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LLCoolJD posted:

Mullen is willing to admit defeat for next week, presumably to protect his fledgling QB. I dunno.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32190491/florida-gators-sticking-emory-jones-starting-quarterback-anthony-richardson

Eh. We have a 0% chance to win with Emory Jones and like a 5% chance to win with Anthony Richardson.

I trust Mullen to bring Richardson along in a way that gives us a two-ish year window to do something meaningful.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

if the gophers keep treating the third quarter like a time to chill out and not pay attention to football this season is going to be incredibly painful

every gopher football season is incredibly painful

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed this scoreboard shot yesterday

https://twitter.com/MattBrownCFB/status/1436877151287009285

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Worth it (if it was true).

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Welp the Big 12 loving sucks. Another year of reigning in Hell it is.

I can't wait to see what the opening line on Nebraska-OU is

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

I think you guys will beat the hell out of UNLV next week and then be fine, kinda like a couple years ago when you lit up a lovely ULM team and then went on a run. You should still finish as a ranked team and could be the second best team in the conference. Your defense is really good.

Agreed on Tom Manning though, I have never understood why he was considered a future head coach.

Yea I know I’m probably overreacting. The defense will keep us in a lot of games and hopefully the offense finds its groove at some point. The offense is just not creative enough when they face a defense that can stop Hall.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am genuinely concerned that northwestern could lose to the 2021 nebraska cornhuskers, which would be unbearable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am genuinely concerned that northwestern could lose to the 2021 nebraska cornhuskers, which would be unbearable.

Who will win The Hat?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

today is the first day in 7 years ive had hope Michigan can actually beat OSU for the first time in. uh. a very long time. :pray:

The best years are when UM fans get their hopes up.

But that OSU defense is really bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yea I know I’m probably overreacting. The defense will keep us in a lot of games and hopefully the offense finds its groove at some point. The offense is just not creative enough when they face a defense that can stop Hall.

Someone really needs to convince Purdy that he does not have the arm to get away with the stuff he thinks he can get away with. If he stopped floating passes all the time because he thought he could throw it 60 yards without his feet set he would be so good. His lower body mechanics are a mess.

Anyway someone with money like Texas or whoever please hire Heacock already it is insane that he's still there and making under a million a year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 12, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Who will win The Hat?

:ohdear:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

The best you'll get out of Mullen after a press conference is coachspeak, and the worst is Mullen shoving his foot directly into his mouth.

There is definitely not a QB controversy in Gainesville. Nope, none at all. Please ignore the Gator radio crew naming the backup QB the Player Of The Game for 2 straight weeks, the starter throwing 4 picks in 2 bodybag games with another 2 dropped picks, a starting DT deleting a tweet questioning the starting QB's status, and the backup QB doing this:

https://twitter.com/KennyMoralesTV/status/1436778039174701061

https://twitter.com/AllKindsWeather/status/1436781724076232708?s=20

Finally, lmao Noles

https://twitter.com/MikeWFerguson/status/1436912691143192576?s=20

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I've been in the stadium for UGA/AUB '13 and UGA/UT '16, so I feel like I'm a connoisseur of end-game turd-fiddling defense, but that FSU ending was so preposterously wrong and bad that you have to just buy Norvell out on the spot.

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/1436901393307037707?s=20

Did #3 have money on Jacksonville State straight up? Where are the deep defenders? Why play that play like you're in the middle of the third quarter? If I'm a fan and see FSU line up the way they did, I'm half-tempted to streak onto the field so they stop the play before it happens. Brain-damage stuff. Is Norvell vaxxed? Who did he think won the 2020 election?

Re: Sark- here's his career path since leaving USC the first time:
- Got Washington to a 7-win ceiling, which was immediately improved upon when he left
- Flamed out at USC because of issues we all know
- Saban's House for Misfit Coaches, got to be OC for the natty when Saban went all Vince McMahon YERRRRRR FFFFFIIIIIIRRRRRRRED on Kiffin
- Took over for Kyle Shanahan as Falcons OC, Falcons offense immediately sucks
- Went back to Saban's House, this time as OC, with a decided talent advantage at every position against most any opponent, is good at that job
- Paid a truckload to be Texas's head coach and assure the boosters that he'll make players tuck in their shirts and not listen to the rippity rap and give proper respect to the choo-choo song

TL;DR: Dude's bad.

In conclusion Stetson Bennett for Heisman

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 12, 2021

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

D.N. Nation posted:

In conclusion Stetson Bennett for Heisman

I refuse to be tricked by this meme again

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm in a weird place with Sark because obviously I hope he doesn't win nattys at Texas but as a recovered alcoholic myself I hope he at least doesn't fall back into that so I guess I need him to be mediocre and get fired in a few years with not too many "heh I bet THIS loss will send him back to the bottle" jokes flying around

To be clear idgaf what jokes people make about him in general do what you feel is best just a personal opinion

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Falcons gig was actually perfect for him. Good money, got to work with professionals, didn't have to manage kids, came in after 28-3 so he'd never sink to that level, the fanbase mostly rolls its eyes at the team's keystone koppery, Matt Ryan doesn't seem high-maintenance, etc. So he could do stuff like put a deaf fullback out wide on the last offensive play of the game, which yes, was a thing he did in the playoffs against the Eagles, that actually happened. And instead of sprinting to the Internet to find out where he lived, Falcons fans instead just shrugged it off as yet another small entry in the long line of humiliations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Urban will pull a Petrino when Norvell gets fired

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

downout posted:

The best years are when UM fans get their hopes up.

But that OSU defense is really bad.

I don't know why I persist in letting the cycle repeat. I know what will happen. You know what will happen.

But still.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I kind of get it since it seems like OSU can’t stop the run and Michigan can only run.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I went to the Waffle house this morning that's about 4 miles from Doak-Campbell. Wall to wall busy, not a single FSU hat or t-shirt in the entire place.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I was pretty pessimistic about texas this season before week 1 and then they actually looked pretty good in week 1 and then got bulldozed on both lines by Arkansas last night.

Hopefully they can clean up some problems and figure out some stuff against Rice next week before starting big12 play. Nobody else in the big12 has really shown much to be worried about either, so there's that.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm in a weird place with Sark because obviously I hope he doesn't win nattys at Texas but as a recovered alcoholic myself I hope he at least doesn't fall back into that

$5.2 million dollars this year. He has a huge financial safety net.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

drunk leprechaun has the right answer but I do appreciate trying to apply the theory of relativity to football option pitches. e: oh god and college refs interpreting it in real time or on review. I'm imagining Pac 12 refs engaged in an 8 hour review and coming up with the right answer but inexplicably ruling the other way anyway.

Kentucky should have won that game by at least three scores yesterday. The normal Mizzou homer types are praising their ability to fight back (which I guess has some small merit because wow they got their asses kicked all day), but in the end I'd rather be the type of team that shouldn't be proud of only losing by 7 instead of 21 or more to Kentucky.

The #1 issue is total lack of run defense. The personnel aren't there yet because the line is mostly holdovers from Odom's years and a lot of 4* true freshmen, while the linebacking corps can't make up the difference. Kentucky is a team that is full of seniors and the Tigers went in and kept it close til the end, so I'm not too deflated by this loss.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

LLCoolJD posted:

$5.2 million dollars this year. He has a huge financial safety net.

If you aren’t abstaining, money is a death sentence to an alcoholic. It nearly killed me last year. Hopefully he can stay busy enough to not fall back in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What if Arkansas is really really good guys?

Just ignore that we had a very close game under Herman with the greatest football team ever fielded, so even if Arkansas is really really good, we've still taken a huge step backward.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
On an unrelated note, I noticed UL-Lafayette had some trouble putting Nichols State away; starting to wonder if they're lowkey bad this year.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

G-Hawk posted:

I was pretty pessimistic about texas this season before week 1 and then they actually looked pretty good in week 1 and then got bulldozed on both lines by Arkansas last night.

Hopefully they can clean up some problems and figure out some stuff against Rice next week before starting big12 play. Nobody else in the big12 has really shown much to be worried about either, so there's that.

Good news for Texas is that Rice's qb is McCaffrey the younger, a fantastic wr who insists he is the second coming of Tom Brady. Vs Houston his statline is 9-19 with 1 TD and 3 INTs.

And that's not a fluke. He was at Nebraska last season and performed similarly when he had his chances. I may in fact have better arm strength than he does, and far better accuracy, and I'm old + fat.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

PostNouveau posted:

What if Arkansas is really really good guys?

Just ignore that we had a very close game under Herman with the greatest football team ever fielded, so even if Arkansas is really really good, we've still taken a huge step backward.

I think Arkansas showed up and played a good game last night, no doubt.

Jacksonville State, however...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frkIYuF737c

Farking Bastage posted:

If you aren’t abstaining, money is a death sentence to an alcoholic. It nearly killed me last year. Hopefully he can stay busy enough to not fall back in.

If he showed up drunk to a team meeting, then Sark was no doubt driving drunk on many an occasion. gently caress that guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

The #1 issue is total lack of run defense. The personnel aren't there yet because the line is mostly holdovers from Odom's years and a lot of 4* true freshmen, while the linebacking corps can't make up the difference. Kentucky is a team that is full of seniors and the Tigers went in and kept it close til the end, so I'm not too deflated by this loss.

Yeah to be clear I'm not sounding the alarm bells or anything, just a little annoyed at the folks telling me this is actually good.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Urban will pull a Petrino when Norvell gets fired

Why would Urban go to a place that has all the expectations and craziness of Texas, but without the money and infrastructure of Texas when he already turned down Texas last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Why would Urban go to a place that has all the expectations and craziness of Texas, but without the money and infrastructure of Texas when he already turned down Texas last year?

Southern Cal is probably the only place that would have a chance to get him.