Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gameday coming to Auburn-PSU

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm vexed that Stroud gets any Heisman chatter, unless overthrowing the best receiver in the world is good play

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

On an unrelated note, I noticed UL-Lafayette had some trouble putting Nichols State away; starting to wonder if they're lowkey bad this year.

billy napier you big dummy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I kind of get it since it seems like OSU can’t stop the run and Michigan can only run.

Yeah I assume they will figure it out at some point in conference play but everything about their defense except the pass rush looks BAD right now

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

I kind of get it since it seems like OSU can’t stop the run and Michigan can only run.

I understand this but feel the need to remind everyone that OSU’s literally had defenses even worse than this (lol 2018) in recent memory and it still didn’t matter for that game. If you told me that they only practice run fits for the Michigan game and get owned whenever it’s a different running scheme than whatever harbaugh mandates, I would believe it.

That Oregon team feels like a playoff team though. Moorhead’s play design for essentially cribbing together a misdirection offense got us again, just on the boundaries instead of downfield.

Coombs needs to be fired if this is how we’re going to run fit and pressure. The second they swapped out the safeties and LBs in the 4th, we started getting stops, and that says we aren’t evaluating those guys properly at all relative to the needs in the system. I get that day mandates the base single high alignment, but there’s no excuse for not having a change up prepared—we literally rolled out a 2 safety look just to gently caress with Clemson last year. You can’t just sit in cover 1 if you’re getting no pressure, and the failure to ever bring and extra guy just guarantees eventually break coverage. Like, play 3 or a fire zone or something. You can’t just line up in a predictable set against an RPO offense designed to use base defense rules against you.

The SZD guys all are of the mind that it’s a personnel issue and that because there’s no Chase Young or Bosa, the defense won’t work. I think that’s a correct assessment, but it’s why you program in wrinkles for if you don’t have a guy take over games or break open man matchups. Let guys play fast when they do that but be aware that a good team will counter it.

Stroud is probably going to break Dwayne’s record at this rate. People might pile on some of his overthrows but I can show you a dropped deep ball for every one of those. This feels like a Rose Bowl team right now, but they’re young enough they could fall anywhere from 2-3 losses to playoff 4 seed depending on how the coaches respond and teams develop.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MourningView posted:

Yeah I assume they will figure it out at some point in conference play but everything about their defense except the pass rush looks BAD right now

I know what this looks like because I watched this all last year with Florida's defense:

https://twitter.com/Dubsco/status/1436763830818783232?s=20

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Texas got beat in all aspects of the game for 4 quarters las night, with the D looking particularly bad. Arkansas shows up to play whereas Texas looks like they did 0 prep for that game. Just a thorough rear end kicking.

Some pretty egregious targeting calls were missed, but they would have minimally impacted the outcome.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Godzilla07 posted:

I know what this looks like because I watched this all last year with Florida's defense:

https://twitter.com/Dubsco/status/1436763830818783232?s=20

Last year’s Florida team is the same as this Ohio state team or the 2018 edition with Haskins. Offense capable of beating anyone—capable of always giving up explosive plays at any time on defense.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Auburn's put up 60 and 62 in back-to-back weeks, Mike Bobo's still got it baby

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eh, I don’t think we know what the Michigan passing game really looks like yet. Cade was sharp against WMU and hit some deep shots. Michigan didn’t need to throw the ball against the best secondary we’ll see this year, so they didn’t. Once it got to 10-0 the game was essentially over since Washington’s offense and front 7 are god awful.

E: does Jimmy Lake survive the season? Dude tore down what Petersen built pretty quickly.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 12, 2021

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

D.N. Nation posted:

Auburn's put up 60 and 62 in back-to-back weeks, Mike Bobo's still got it baby

As someone else that has suffered through a Bobo offense, does he?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think Michigan would beat Ohio State more often if it wasn't the last game of the season. OSU often is pretty weak at the start but gets things ironed out by November.

Also there have definitely been seasons where OSU gave up the previous week so they could focus on humiliating Michigan again.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Azrial posted:

As someone else that has suffered through a Bobo offense, does he?

nah, Auburn's played the Zips and Alabama State.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hahahahahha you guys never learn, Ohio State is still winning the Big Ten.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TheGreyGhost posted:

The SZD guys all are of the mind that it’s a personnel issue and that because there’s no Chase Young or Bosa, the defense won’t work. I think that’s a correct assessment, but it’s why you program in wrinkles for if you don’t have a guy take over games or break open man matchups. Let guys play fast when they do that but be aware that a good team will counter it.

lol yeah, not having one of the best defensive players in college football in any particular year is a 'personnel issue'. If having a Chase Young is required to make your defense competent, then you may want a new defensive coordinator because there are only a handful of programs with as much talent as OSU on the sideline.

Having said that, Moorhead definitely seems to have OSU's number (he was Penn State's OC when they beat them and put a scare into them a few years in a row) and it could just be that Oregon is really good. I'm sure they'll be fine and I'd still take them to beat Michigan by 14+ points.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

Why would Urban go to a place that has all the expectations and craziness of Texas, but without the money and infrastructure of Texas when he already turned down Texas last year?

It’ll be USC

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rad Valtar posted:

Hahahahahha you guys never learn, Ohio State is still winning the Big Ten.

Yeah I think so. Ohio State has a really easy schedule going forward and avoids both Iowa and Wisconsin from the west division while having PSU at home. There is @Michigan for the last game but lol that's more of a gimme than Purdue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Oregon is a national title team it didn't show week 1 when they got outgained by Fresno St

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 12, 2021

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I wouldn't be surprised if the Fresno performance was Oregon almost getting caught looking ahead to the OSU game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MourningView posted:

If Oregon is a national title team it didn't show week 1 when they got outgained by Fresno St

Have you considered Fresno state could win the big ten

It’s not true but you could consider it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Manoueverable posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fresno performance was Oregon almost getting caught looking ahead to the OSU game

I'm just saying OSU defense has been bad in two games now and Minnesota has like the most vanilla offense in football so it's not just that Moorhead is a genius or Oregon is going to the playoff

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Auburn-Penn State and Alabama-Florida are next week. Good poo poo, although I do expect that Auburn and Florida will be exposed. Also, clown shows with FSU-Wake and Nebraska-OU.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gonna be 36,000 feet over the Pacific when Nebraska-OU happens, but I'll get to watch it on my phone or tablet.

I love living in the future.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1437123047945814025?s=19

yards are fake turnovers are real go hawks

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Michigan shouldn’t be ranked after beating two awful teams.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

It feels like Iowa st should be on an honorable mention list rather than ranked until we figure out what broke Brock Purdy’s brain. He just keeps getting worse in high pressure situations and it’s sad seeing someone’s NFL hopes and dreams go up in flames live.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

resident posted:

It feels like Iowa st should be on an honorable mention list rather than ranked until we figure out what broke Brock Purdy’s brain. He just keeps getting worse in high pressure situations and it’s sad seeing someone’s NFL hopes and dreams go up in flames live.

14 is way too high but I think they should still be ranked. The defense is really good and will win them a lot of games and I assume Hall will get going eventually

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Iowa and Oregon should be ahead of Oklahoma. Oklahoma barely beat a G5, while A&M barely beat a middling (disputed— their D was really good) P5. Kind of absurd that Oklahoma stays at 3 and A&M gets knocked down a few

E: the two teams are just an inverse of each other— OU has an elite offense and a bad defense, A&M has a bad offense and an elite defense

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How on God's green Earth is Miami ranked when their only win is barely squeezing by Appalachian State?

E: the spread was -7.5 - against an FCS team - and they didn't cover

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 12, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU should be like 20. They have barely an offense right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

regulargonzalez posted:

How on God's green Earth is Miami ranked when their only win is barely squeezing by Appalachian State?

Their fans saved that cat so that's worth something

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Cnidario posted:

Iowa and Oregon should be ahead of Oklahoma. Oklahoma barely beat a G5, while A&M barely beat a middling (disputed— their D was really good) P5. Kind of absurd that Oklahoma stays at 3 and A&M gets knocked down a few

E: the two teams are just an inverse of each other— OU has an elite offense and a bad defense, A&M has a bad offense and an elite defense

Excuse me Tulane is the best team in Louisiana.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Pobrecito posted:

Excuse me Tulane is the best team in Louisiana.

Totally with you on this

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M dropping below Clemson is ludicrous. Quality of loss shouldnt matter that much this early

If A&M's O stays bad it will take care of itself but still

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Snubbed again. When will they realize that the dawgs of Starkville are Undefeated and For Real

So we beat NC State convincingly. The more pessimistic of our fan base predicted them to crush us, so I’m not sure what to make of the outcome. Doeren made some extremely questionable decisions, but they still might be decent. Our offense seems a little behind schedule compared to Leach’s other stops, but not by a lot. Idk

Our defense seems like a strong point once again, with maybe safety play being our weakest spot. I fully expect our DC Arnett to get snatched up after this season, he’s really good

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 12, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Brutal

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Lmfao that made me laugh way harder than it should

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

regulargonzalez posted:

E: the spread was -7.5 - against an FCS team - and they didn't cover

I don't disagree with your argument, but App State is in the Sun Belt now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
App State has been a (very good!) FBS team for like six years now

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1436836970387357700?s=20

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MourningView posted:

App State has been a (very good!) FBS team for like six years now

Yeah App State is no cupcake. Miami is probably still overrated though.