Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Snowy posted:

Sometimes young people form bands that play perfect 1982 hardcore or rap like its 93 again and I wonder why they’re larping and not auto tune mumble rapping or whatever it is the wee ones call it nowadays

Maybe it’s like civil war re-enactments to them

Do you get confused that there were folk and blues bands in the glam metal heyday of the 80s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tarkus posted:

To be fair, early to mid 90's rap was p loving good. the 90's was full of good poo poo like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKO43xG66OI

What I find interesting is a resurgence of city pop, late 80's japanese pop. They're also re-doing crooner stuff. It's kind of like a nostalgia for a time that we never experienced. Young people are re-doing stuff in a very cool way

Ginger Root - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-WTfP3WJc4
Phum Viphurit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-NvRbtfrQ

IMO Rap has stagnated in much the same way that rock did. It's still super popular and catchy but very formulaic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesppXuPLeM The bassline for this city pop is loving great

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

signalnoise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesppXuPLeM The bassline for this city pop is loving great

Nice! The closest analogue to that I know from the 80's is Takako Mamiya, very similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIsCELMpeWk

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

chainchompz posted:

This is a text based forum so it seems a little silly to even mention it, but holy gently caress do a lot of adults straight up never read a book again once they drop out or graduate.

Putty posted:

I am kinda guilty of this. Reading online is just easier but a better point would be that school probably makes kids hate reading books due to summer reading and poo poo.

I'm quite sure school gradually but thoroughly killed any joy that reading ever brought me. I had & read all the Goosebumps books from 1-44 (and the first 6 CYOAs) and all the Sideways Stories so many times when I was in elementary school, and I loved them, but by the time I got to high school, I was over reading altogether.

Whenever there was a quiz or I had to write an essay about a chapter or something, I would read the SparkNotes for the gist, then skim the chapter so that I could throw in a minor detail that made it seem like I'd actually read. It worked well enough for me to graduate, so whatever. Reading was about as fun as washing the dishes, and it actually made me enjoy math & science more because I didn't have to write 2-3 page essays about the symbolism of derivatives or mitosis or whatever.

Nowadays, reading the relationships thread is plenty! :dumb:

syntaxfunction posted:

Some of my favourite books ever were ones I was assigned to read in high school. I know I was the outlier tho. Most students loathed the books. The Great Gatsby is one of my favourites, I think it's brilliant. I loved the assignment to write our own chapter in the style that was meant to slot in somewhere in the book.

Most people seemed to start hating books around that time haha.

That sounds like it would have been a fun assignment. :smith:

One of the many, many reasons I was excited to graduate college was that I was going to have time to read whatever I wanted & fully enjoy it because I wouldn't have to do any homework about it. Then I read one book, and it was like watching a cheesy-in-a-bad-way movie. Then I read another book to try to impress a guy I had a crush on (the author) -- admittedly it wasn't ENTIRELY excruciating, but I stopped reading around chapter 12 when it became obvious that he didn't care, because I didn't care. :v: Oh well, I guess I'm doomed to associate reading novels with negative feelings forever.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I always loved reading, it's sadly died off for me the last five ish years which is unfortunate.

I do a lot of maths, programming, nerd poo poo. Sometimes it's nice to indulge in the creative world, music or literature especially. One of the best classes I had at uni was literature analysis. I was an elective and didn't really matter, so I got to approach it as a more light hearted course in contrast to Big Number. I find it loads of fun to think about themes and messages in books, but it's even more fun to analyse (poorly in my case) the writing style of an author or book.

I'm sorry you have negative feelings with books. I highly encourage taking a random class at a community college or something if you can, and don't give a gently caress if you don't do well because who cares. I hope you can connect reading with good feelings!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't know if it is still the case but @ the last show I saw the lead singer of Jawbreaker/ Jets to Brazil mentioned that he teaches creative writing at a community college that's in a different county but not far and I would love to take a class with that dude.

When I was catatonically depressed and on 8 different meds, one of the worst parts was not being able to read. I would look at one page, absorb nothing and nothing and nothing and just get frustrated and cry. The first book I was able to read after that awful spell was The Road and I will always love it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pnac attack posted:

they're emulating styles that appeal to them and idg how this is remotely confusing to anyone

A big thing with young people now that wasn't before is that they have full access to the entire back catalogue of pop culture, and everything old is new again. They aren't stuck watching whatever happens to be on TV or the radio pushed by networks and record labels, or whatever the video store has in stock- they can make their own playlists and watchlists. A lot of genres and shows that the studios have declared to be dead or over gain new life with an audience for whom it's all equally old, cheap and easy to get.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

When I was catatonically depressed and on 8 different meds, one of the worst parts was not being able to read. I would look at one page, absorb nothing and nothing and nothing and just get frustrated and cry. The first book I was able to read after that awful spell was The Road and I will always love it.

I 100% feel you dude. That's where I'm at right now. I've been here for a few years.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The nostalgia cycle is pretty well-known, and you should expect it. Styles, or at least elements or influences from styles, pop back up in new forms after they've been gone for a few decades with modern adjustments. The city pop being made today is not the same as the city pop being made in the 80s, but it's easily close enough to recognize the influence and say it's part of that genre. Video games are getting a bunch of new beatemups and classic style crpgs, which were last popular in the 90s. Loved movies get remakes or sequels to capitalize on it, there's synthwave that really is meant to just *feel* like the 80s, but without actually being similar to the 80s. This happened before the internet too, but it's understandable if it's not recognizable for someone that doesn't have the actual nostalgia to go along with it, like a 5 year old in the 80s.

But anyways, the feeling of recognizing pop culture reflecting itself over time is pretty cool, like recognizing a sample you heard before on a rap song when you incidentally listen to the original

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big thing with young people now that wasn't before is that they have full access to the entire back catalogue of pop culture, and everything old is new again. They aren't stuck watching whatever happens to be on TV or the radio pushed by networks and record labels, or whatever the video store has in stock- they can make their own playlists and watchlists. A lot of genres and shows that the studios have declared to be dead or over gain new life with an audience for whom it's all equally old, cheap and easy to get.

This is definitely one of the biggest and maybe most underappreciated differences between growing up now and any other time in history. I remember growing up in Lafayette, LA and getting a Thrasher magazine and reading about bands and albums and thinking how cool it all sounded but knowing I had no way to hear what sounded like. No store in town sold the album, no radio stations played it.

Sometimes I find myself going back through albums, artists, even some old games that I remember hearing about or reading about in the 80's and 90's but I was never able to access. It's interesting, sometimes fun, sometimes disappointing.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

pnac attack posted:

they're emulating styles that appeal to them and idg how this is remotely confusing to anyone

something i have noticed is that whenever i hear young (i.e. teenagers) people enjoying/singing along to music it is ~always~ something from the 90s or earlier. (oh and mr. brightside sometimes but that's fast becoming a goofy old people song, like the come on eileen of our age)

it feels like popular music as a socially meaningful thing kind of stopped around the mid 2000s

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

this is in the uk though where notably simon cowell burned pop music to the ground during the mid 2000s

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
While I agree that our culture is a graveyard you're wrong about new music. If it feels like that to you that's because that's when it stopped being meaningful to you. I'm thinking back - if I was singing along to a song when I was a kid it was probably a Beatles or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd song . For a song to reach sing-along status it kind of has to be in the culture for a while. We didn't sit around the fire with an acoustic guitar singing contemporary stuff, at least not that I remember.
Plus, how often do you heard kids singing? A couple of times and you just happened to recognize the song so it stuck with you?

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

yeah, come to think about it, when i was a teenager the things people sang together were like 80s power ballads so it's probably normal

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its funny how a lot of goons here don't realise they've reached the stage of shaking their fist at young people music, just at the same age as when older people were shaking their fist at their music, a cycle that has repeated throughout humanity since the dawn of time

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its funny how a lot of goons here don't realise they've reached the stage of shaking their fist at young people music, just at the same age as when older people were shaking their fist at their music, a cycle that has repeated throughout humanity since the dawn of time

Your gimmick is weird

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Some of my favourite books ever were ones I was assigned to read in high school. I know I was the outlier tho. Most students loathed the books. The Great Gatsby is one of my favourites, I think it's brilliant. I loved the assignment to write our own chapter in the style that was meant to slot in somewhere in the book.

Most people seemed to start hating books around that time haha.

It's funny, I was and am a big reader, but I always disliked those books just because they were assigned to us. Some of them I went back and properly reread afterwards, enjoying them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think this is the case even with a lot of older people. Youtube, but also, ever since I caved and got Spotify (earlier this year lol) I've been revisiting the past, especially my favorite period in music history (1977-83) and just discovering a lot of new stuff that I probably never would have found out otherwise.

All hail the algorithm

e: I am 31 but in today's society that makes me an ancient relic of the past

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope young people keep making new and increasingly weird music so I can be an old man completely befuddled by what I’m hearing, unable to believe it’s actually music.

I did that for my elders, cmon you lazy kids, freak me out damnit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Snowy posted:

I hope young people keep making new and increasingly weird music so I can be an old man completely befuddled by what I’m hearing, unable to believe it’s actually music.

I did that for my elders, cmon you lazy kids, freak me out damnit

Here is my six-second TikTok clip that I just looped into a full mumble rap song, and it got 10 billion listens

You asked for it, old man!!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I really don't understand what's funny about "trolling" by going into voice chat and just being obnoxious in a game, like yelling slurs or playing static or whatever. Back in my day, we had creativity in our trolling.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I said I turn off voice chat in games in the unpopular games opinion thread, and a couple people got really offended and said I was stuck up. Basically it boiled down to "if you don't listen to them screech dumb poo poo you must never go outside because sports fans are worse" and "how are you gonna get better at the game if you can't hear me screech dumb poo poo at you?" I think it's more just complete desperation to be heard by anyone, though

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think you got trolled in the unpopular games opinion thread because no adult would seriously espouse that view. At least nobody whose opinion you should ever regard.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I really don't understand what's funny about "trolling" by going into voice chat and just being obnoxious in a game, like yelling slurs or playing static or whatever. Back in my day, we had creativity in our trolling.

No, we really didn't. It was mostly yelling slurs and static back then too.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I 100% feel you dude. That's where I'm at right now. I've been here for a few years.

That sucks and I hope you feel better. Feel free to message me if you ever wanna consider going to an ayahuasca ceremony.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Who What Now posted:

No, we really didn't. It was mostly yelling slurs and static back then too.

gently caress

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

signalnoise posted:

gently caress

BUTT!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm sorry you have negative feelings with books. I highly encourage taking a random class at a community college or something if you can, and don't give a gently caress if you don't do well because who cares. I hope you can connect reading with good feelings!

I appreciate your suggestion and general sympathy, but even 12 years after graduating college, school still feels like something I endured for as long as I had to and then escaped.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

(oh and mr. brightside sometimes but that's fast becoming a goofy old people song, like the come on eileen of our age)

This made me think I was in the thread about stuff white people like for a second :v:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The kids are alright. Whenever the GM of our restaurant leaves, the bluetooth speaker usually comes out. Most of the time one of the 18-25 year olds is in charge of the music, and, gently caress, its doo-wop/60s soul like The Supremes, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Gladys Knight or fuckin 80's stuff like Kraftwerk or Depeche Mode. They're playing, by their own choice, the soul songs my dad grew up on and played for me in the car, and the songs from the CDs I'd steal from my older sisters.

It makes me feel old, sure, but also really cool to see.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I wish I remembered where I saw someone discuss how more of the music made by the youth today is solo stuff, of the kind you can do in a bedroom - and how that may be because they don't quite have the freedom or time (or cultural expectations) to go tooling around on instruments together anymore. It's obviously a simplification, but it feels like there's a grain of truth there, too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i came across a group of teens working out at a local park and they had a bluetooth speaker and they were playing 80's metallica and slayer songs and singing along and they knew all the words. i thought it was cool

Computer viking posted:

I wish I remembered where I saw someone discuss how more of the music made by the youth today is solo stuff, of the kind you can do in a bedroom - and how that may be because they don't quite have the freedom or time (or cultural expectations) to go tooling around on instruments together anymore. It's obviously a simplification, but it feels like there's a grain of truth there, too.

i dont get why people think this when there are so many new bands forming all the time

like if you want to know about good new music, get the bandcamp app and dive into the genre categories and you will find all kinds of amazing new music by all kinds of cool people, young and old, in every style you can possible think of and many you didn't know existed, and there are new groups, projects, albums etc coming out all the time.

obviously covid put a damper on getting together to make music for a while, and live music is just barely starting to come back, but there are definitely still tons of young people tooling around on instruments together these days. there are of course a lot more bedroom producers too but thats not stopping bands from being a thing at all

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 23, 2021

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

bro it's just because the tech is there now

used to be harder to get studio time than a crew together, now you pirate a daw and get a $75 audio interface off amazon and you got a better setup than pros did 20 years ago

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Owl City started as just some dude who started loving around making music on his PC because he had problems with insomnia. There's so much other poo poo too, like say you record some songs and want people to hear it. Do you want to hang around a gas station trying to sell cds out of a backpack, or maybe get on the radio? If all you want is for people to even know who you are, there are tons of free ways to do that without moving from the chair you made the music in

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sure, I can believe "it's not fewer bands, it's an addition of more solo artists on top".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

I said I turn off voice chat in games in the unpopular games opinion thread, and a couple people got really offended and said I was stuck up. Basically it boiled down to "if you don't listen to them screech dumb poo poo you must never go outside because sports fans are worse" and "how are you gonna get better at the game if you can't hear me screech dumb poo poo at you?" I think it's more just complete desperation to be heard by anyone, though

If it''s a co-op game they were right

If it's an FPS they were wrong, always turn off voice chat

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For a while I thought turning off voice chat was the pro move, until I realized not playing multi-player games was the actual pro move

Also anyone who thinks there is no good music being made anymore is actually saying they no longer value learning about new music enough to find the good stuff. I mean if you think of "what these kids listen to today" as the absolute garbage the radio was playing when you yourself were a teenager, you can understand how all it takes is doing some digging and suddenly discovering great music is always coming out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh I remember I had to read a book in college. There Are No Children Here. It's about living in Caprini Green. That was the single book that sparked me into become a progressive, liberal, leftist, whatever you want to call it. It was one of the first times I thought "Hey, maybe not everyone has it as good as me and there are bigger forces in play that make that happen." Before then I was leaning right I think, but not rabid or anything. It was the early 2000s so I was just the war supporter type. I just got out of the Marines. I just probably considered myself right leaning.

Thank god for that one book.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
young folks don't understand what glomp means. have any of you been glomped lately? i think not! :bahgawd:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

young folks don't understand what glomp means. have any of you been glomped lately? i think not! :bahgawd:

BACK IN MY DAY, CROSSPLAY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONSOLE WARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I GROK THIS