Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I downed 2 tubes of paste and i've been craving apples all afternoon

if this transformation is actually happening , does that *other* part turn horse sized as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Get your loving vaccine

Jesus H man. I had a buddy of mine my age (29) get infected and he almost died at the hospital. I'm a little scared to ask if he was vaccinated or not, but on top of that he was a supremely heavy drinker and got cirrhosis (though I haven't verified if covid can cause that or if it was only from drinking). He had a 2 week stay and lost 20 lbs from infection to release. Still on oxygen occasionally now, and his feet aren't working for some reason and hes having to retrain the muscle or something. We don't talk super often because hes kind of a stubborn rear end any anything and everything, but he really got flattened by this.

I still have another buddy (21) who hasnt gotten a single dose yet, and on one hand im not sure if investing the time into convincing him will work because he's had two family members die of covid. I'll happily employ any face saving emotion/pride appealing methods to get him to listen, because hes real cool but also really freaking stubborn about this.

e: I guess to put a positive note in, my mom who religiously watches Fox News is very excited for her third dose as soon as shes eligible. I was terrified she'd never get dosed up early this year.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

You need to figure out the reason why he's resistant/denier/skeptical/stupid.

It's not coming from a rational place, so reasoning is unlikely to convince him.
despite being a socailist bernie bro he does follow a lot of natural medicine spiritual healing aesthetic instagram pages. I get the appeal of thinking you're a child of nature pure from the corruption of pharmaceutical influence but like he also smokes weed and eat spicy chicken nuggets from McDonalds (the latter of which I'd personally consider gods medicine but thats besides the point). Maybe its just fear of making the wrong choice, I know some people are likely to avoid making a choice entirely when they feel making a choice carries risk, even if inaction is a choice.

It could just be that, I dont plan on pelting him with peer reviewed articles or showing him charts. I think we're past that point. If I could just gently tell him "hey man, im worried for you, you're gonna be alright, lets just get this done and all breathe a bit easier, ill treat you to mcdonalds" that would be stellar, but we havent hung in person because of his reluctance, so I cant really put on that warmth in person.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Epic High Five posted:

New page, new fur tax! Everybody is now required to comment on my dog

Its a fair looking.... beast of sorts. why not get a cat instead? just make sure it doesnt go into my room or shed on the couch. 3/5, including a 1 bonus into there since you have a cool av.

Kinda let down because of the booster news. I was hoping to get a third one before im dragged to an amusement park in December (and depending how cases are I may or may not dip out of that). I heard somewhere (I know) that a booster results in halved chances of hospitalizations, but I couldn't remember what study that was from or the age group. Is there any sort of protection im missing as a healthy 29 year old or my mid/late 50s mostly-healthy parents. Is it practical to find a place willing to give me a third dose of Moderna or should I drop that entirely?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So I got my third Moderna last night and I feel like a trick hit me. Because I live in a 5 person household with unregulated visitors, I took matters into my own hands last night at the local CVS. It astounds me how harshly my body reacts to these. I think the weirdest side effect is skin sensitivity to the point where wearing clothes hurts.

At any rate, can I expect some higher level of protection as a healthy 29 year old? Long covid scares me the most.

e: also one of the members of the household tested positive this morning so funny how that works lol. Of course someone else had to tell me because neither she nor her fiancé told me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll resume work on the antivax book project, which can inform this issue. There is also a bill likely to be introduced either late this year or sometime next year that can indirectly massively enervate the antivax movement. I'll speak on it in greater detail (and advocate for goons to contact their members of congress about it) when it goes fully public.

What would this be? Or is that part of the book?

e: Also FritzHorse, do you live on an indian reservation? I saw you made a post about it and wanted to know more about your experience there if you do. I don't really hear a whole lot about native communities in the US and how they handled it, alls I know is that there's a lot of common comorbidities such as diabetes/alcoholism/obesity.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 24, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

HonorableTB posted:

Another family member was hospitalized with covid and is in the ICU. Unvaxxed, naturally. When he dies that will be #4 from my family and none of the remaining living ones are planning to get the vaccine. At this rate I might not have a family by the end of the year.
Sorry, that sucks, but also understandable if you are basically done caring. I have a level of caution which is different from my family which is different from the thread which is different from the public in Los Angeles. My mom and her side of the family got rid of the masks the moment the mandates lifted (thankfully they're vaxxed) but they basically act like covid is over now and since one of them is 70+ with two different active cancers, i'm kinda watching in fear how all that plays out.

Similarly, roommate with covid brought her fiance's parents over (one who is unvaxxed) for the weekend and tonight they have dinner reservations for 7 at this local restaurant. I've grown pretty numb to the risk of covid exposure in this household because its been constant playing-with-fire at this place since i've moved here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hi everyone, where are the links to the good KN-95/N-95 masks? They were like a buck a pop or something. I know I can’t trust Amazon because they apparently mix in good product with counterfeit.

Pet Tax: (kinda gross so spoiling)

Turn off your monitor - see that? you are all my pets.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

lol if you're not wearing one of these to do go get your curbside pickup grocery runs

https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/

Thanks champ!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yo Coldrice have you thought about making a thread about it in Games? I think you'd get a lot of attention there too.

e: Not saying you shouldn't post about it in here! Just saying that I think goons would be really receptive to a goon made game on a really immediate situation we're all dealing with. Seems like that amount of work should be rewarded with a lot of attention outside of the D&D nerds.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Coldrice posted:

I could - it’s a bit niche I dunno how much people are interested ha ha

I dunno man. Goons are pretty supportive with goon-made things, just your most recent post alone could be retooled into an OP without much fuss. You aren't charging anything right now anyways. It might be niche in playstyle but we have enough threads for every type of game under the sun, and every goon on planet earth right now is pretty involved with covid. I'd value it more over the anime titty games threads but thats just me :shobon:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fighting Trousers posted:

I do wish the 3M Aura N95s didn't have 3M plastered all over them, but I guess that's just me being vain.

I dont know why this made me think I was reading the PC Part Picking/GPU thread but im glad it did.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The Powercom KN-95 masks i bought from bonerfied masks or whatever are pretty sick.

What's most surprising? They're *more* comfortable than my cloth masks. Because they aren't rubbing my face and cheeks like cloth masks, they're actually a lot more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. I find them a bit easier to breathe in as well. Downsides are that weird characteristic smell of that material N-95/KN-95s use, and that they sometimes make my nose feel runny, but otherwise im a really happy camper. I got the ear loop ones, dont know how much better at protection the headband ones are, but the ones ive used before hurt my scalp a bunch (shaved head).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm curious what US Winter is going to look like because the Delta wave was pretty nuts. I dont know how to intelligently ask this dumb question but how many people are left which haven't gotten covid nor havent gotten a vaccine yet? Is it possible to expect a repeat of winter 2020, or does 57% of fully vaccinated Americans lessen the chance of triage nightmares?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
You can also go online at CVS and say that you have a pre-existing condition (it doesnt ask you to specify). When I showed up to my appointment all that was asked was if I filled out the online questionnaire, then gave me the shot. I am fairly certain the nurse knew, but she seemed happy enough to administer it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Not a child haver but that doesn’t surprise me much. I know people are generally more risk adverse for their kids than themselves so unless they’re forced to by school districts or something, I don’t see it happening as much as adults. I’d also imagine chud parents would be even more rabid when it involves their kids.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Abner Assington posted:

Went to bed feeling okay, if not maybe a dash of nausea.

Woke up at 6AM like a freight train hit me.

Fingers crossed we don't need more boosters down the line—this fuckin' sucks.

Don’t be shy about pain meds after the shot. For some reason I tried to Superman through my pain after dose 2 and it wasn’t worth it at all. I took some several hours after my booster and it was still bad but not *awful*.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Gonna have a serious talk with my mom about getting her moderna booster before December, when she plans to go to a themepark with the family. The amusement park thing is definitely happening and im not going to spend any time convincing her to cancel that.

She had a recent annual visit with her doctor, and her doctor advised against the booster because she didn't have any pre-existing conditions, but she's still in her late 50s. She's been sort of wary about the booster because 1) she gets pretty sick like I do from the reactions of moderna #2 2) no consensus about who needs boosters

Do you all have any talking points I can bring up when talking to her? I figure boosters in her age group reduce hospitalization by some significant percent right? Is there lesser chances of long covid/complication? Does it reduce her contagiousness if she does get covid (she lives in a multi generation household with an elderly person w cancer, yes that person is also going to the themepark)

I'm basically going to start with

1)do these for me, your son who wants you alive and healthy
2)keep great aunt safe (household member with cancer)
3)this will reduce risk of hospitalization (by how much?)
4)no health downside that we know of aside from feeling like crap for a few days?
5)her depression diagnosis means she qualifies since that's a pre-existing condition under the wide net (for california at least?)

what else do you all suggest?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Convinced mom to get booster. Didn’t have to go very far into my prepared nbullet point list.
:toot:

I wish everyone else the best of luck prodding their family and friends to getting the Fauci Ouchie.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is this one of those drive by shitposts I hear so much about

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Part of what makes this thread so hard to read (besides having to be up to date on who all the Correct and Incorrect twitter personalities are) is this right here:

Stereotype posted:

Yeah. The cspam thread is significantly more informative and empirically correct about basically everything. This is the thread for denialists to bargain their way into some sort of hopefulness.

Stereotype posted:

China didn’t gently caress this up. People like you did. Take some responsibility you insufferable child, or sit the gently caress down and let the “doomers” fix this problem you created.
I don't really know what either of these posts are supposed to do. Unless there are lawmakers or community activists posting here, nobody here is really equipped to fix anything or has the means/desire to go door to door to their neighbors and espouse the virtues of N-95 masks.

I get there's a big incentive to always be right and chain-quote the guy who says "I hope things work out" with responses saying "it wont", but all it does is create despair which squashes any motivation to change anything because the outcome is supposedly pre-determined. Likewise, optimism doesn't have to be carefully guarded and rationed. People can be hopeful for the future and still be vaccinated while following NPIs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'll take the week if I have to, as well. I saw the D&D feedback thread was closed and I feel like it would best be discussed in a public setting.

Unless Coldrice has really gone off the deep end when I wasn't looking, I don't think there was any legitimate intent to shill his game and spread disinformation. His posts here have gotten a lot of encouragement and based on his post history regarding his game, I haven't seen any nefarious intent behind what he posted. I think it should be reversed with an apology-probe so is record stays clean. that said,

free my boi coldrice

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

TBH if everyone could get into the habit of wearing at least surgical masks and avoiding lovely loose fitting cloth fashion statements, you could at least do a lot to control the spread. They just don't offer satisfactory protection for the wearer, and when mask mandates are scattershot and people constantly pull their masks down around their chin to loving sneeze or talk on the phone or eat or etc., I am not going to be caught dead wearing anything less than an N95 standard respirator. The worst masks I think I see on a fairly regular basis are cloth masks that are so baggy the sides just hang open. Very good, Covid can only go forward if you cough or breathe!
Thats my concern with masking in general right now. I was on packed public transit yesterday (bus) and I wondered what spread looks like if at least one covid positive person isn't masking or dicknosing. How protected are the people with cloth or surgical masks? How about N-95/KN-95s, or even ones that are "soiled" from repeated use? I guess my question is, how possible is it to control spread if you're going to have at least a few members of the public not masking or dicknosing? Does it make too much of a difference with delta/omni and when everyone is still using cloth? It all just seems to require a highly disciplined public which seems kind of impossible.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That's why I use KN-95's all the time now. My understanding is that they provide a much better level of protection than your average cloth mask, but I reuse mine because its still rather expensive so im not quite sure if they're still holding up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The worst submarine posted:

it has been 5 hours and many posts and not a single person has disagreed with this what the gently caress
Not being snarky but its the joys of the ignore list, especially if nobody quotes them.

Readability does suffer sometimes because i'll start a page and the first handful of posts are by ignored users.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I did a better this month with not eating out, so im down to pitch in a few bucks to buy the New Zealander an account here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is This Week In Virology still good for Covid news? I was an avid John Campbell listener up until he did a viewer survey once and the vast majority of respondents seemed to be conservative minded people. Comments on his recent videos seem to be from a very different set of people than last year so something might have changed.

Looking for something I can mostly listen to/watch. Have 0 interest in Twitter people.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hi goons

I started feeling sick on Dec 24th, got a PCR test on the 28th and got a positive result on the 29th. What day should I be good to re-enter society? Would I need another test? The city has a program to ship out PCR tests to people who want them, but I’m also reading that PCRs will flag positive past the point of being contagious? Rapids are apparently rare but I can’t go to stores to check, obviously.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Mr Cuddles posted:

It's 10 days in the UK, not sure about where you are but I didn't go out until day 11 when I was testing negative. If you want my anecdotal advice, I started to feel better day 6 then found it came back for a second round, so be careful you don't exert yourself too soon.
US here. And yeah, that's my primary concern (besides long covid), is a round 2. But at 10 days since onset of symptoms, I think im spared of that? As im typing this I feel like im tempting fate.

Knifefan posted:

I don't keep track of all of the current national guidelines, but the theory is to pick a number of days(10, 14 days from onset of symptoms are reasonable) and look at your symptoms. If you dont have any serious symptoms, the symptoms you do have are improving, and you haven't had a fever in the past 24 hours(and you haven't taken an anti-fever medication) you should be fine to re-enter society.
Symptoms have been steadily improving (though maybe a bit slower than I'd like). My experience with covid so far is that of a cold, right down to the ridiculous amounts of mucus and more daytime tiredness than usual. I really wish there was a way to tell if I got Delta or Omnicron, but I dont think me as a layperson will ever get that figured out.

e: Also this is me purely asking out of anxiety, but do long covid symptoms manifest after someone recovers from covid, or are those symptoms that don't resolve once the rest of covid is? im basically extremely terrified of brain fog/chronic pain or any sort of random ailment, but right now I don't have any of those symptoms.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 2, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Its been eons since ive last posted. The only thing i've really been keeping up on are the weekly TWiV episodes which have been great coverage about Covid & Monkeypox. I have some questions though about both things, assuming that there's at least a few goons here who are getting vaccinated with the latter vaccine or follow it a great deal:

1) Does carefully timing my 4th mRNA covid shot to provide maximum protection during winter do much? Seeing that the BA4/5 vaccine is slowly making its way out, should I just get when I can? Not sure if there's more potential harm in trying to min/max things. For what its worth, I got covid in early jan 2021, and have had repeated extremely close calls all year without getting sick again, somehow.

2) Googling shows that we don't really know how effective the BA4/5 boosters are. If they're a "dud", so to speak, are they at least going to be as good as the original vaccines?

3) Should I get my second monkeypox dose on a different day than my covid booster? are there any dangers of back to back vaccines?

4) kinda a weird one - does a close call covid exposure re-up my immunity in any way? I was shoulder to shoulder with a guy in an enclosed room for 2 hours who was extremely positive and I somehow didn't catch covid. Did that event put my immune system on alert for next time, or does it not work that way unless I actually get infected/get a shot?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the info on all this. Much appreciated.

litany of gulps posted:

How long ago was this? Anecdotal, but I recently got covid and the incubation period must have been almost two weeks. My partner got it, and I was exposed heavily for days. After a week with no symptoms, I figured I was clear, but then another week passed and I developed symptoms. I spoke with some co-workers about it (we're teachers, so we've all gotten it at this point) and a few reported similar stories.
About a month ago. Maybe 5 weeks?

I've had several of these events this year where I was around someone who ended up testing positive days later so either I have fantastic luck (doubtful, i have terrible luck) or either some really good genes or divine intervention or something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
BA4/5 booster pioneers, how hard was it to get an appointment? Or can you just walk in to any decrepit CVS/Walgreens and ask for one? Debating trying my luck after work but I don’t know the process yet. Or maybe I should hold off longer like Fauci said until indoor/cuddle season kicks in. Decisions.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Deviant posted:

non scientific new booster trip report:

holy gently caress i envy the dead and have slept the entire day

boooo

2 and 3 made me feel this way and I’m sure 4 will do this too. No matter what day I get it on, I’ll make sure it’s during the week because I’m not gonna feel crappy during my time off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ommy vaccine scheduled for next week :toot:
Switching to team Moderna since my first 3 Pfizer shots hosed me up for 24-48 hours.

Funny because I was thinking of trying Pfizer for the same reason.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hello Covid goons. x4 vaxxed with Moderna. I think my last shot was either late last year or very early this year (Nov-Jan? Don’t have my card on me)

I heard there’s a very new updated vaccine. I have some questions about it.

1) If I get Moderna #5 within the next few weeks, how do I know it’s the new one?

2) Is there any evidence that the new vaccine is better? Or is most of that benefit just from being a booster rather than a new “calibrated” one?

3) I’m traveling to Europe from the States in December. Is getting the booster now too soon if I want to be sure I’m covered during my vacation?

4) is the state still paying for these or do I have to use my insurance. I don’t mind using it, I just dont want to fight Aetna if they don’t cover it after because covid is over for something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

effervescible posted:

Got the new booster from Pfizer (previously all Moderna) with a side if flu shot since I have a big trade show in two weeks. Side effects are absolutely kicking my rear end, probably the worst since my original #2 shot. I know there's no real correlation between strength of side effects and efficacy, but if there were I'd be very pleased with it.

I’m planning my injection day during the middle of the week so I don’t spend my weekend horribly ill like I did last time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My second Covid shot (and I believe third) were wicked on me, worse than my two covid infections. The worst was the body aches and what I could only describe as skin aches. Weirdly painful to have clothes on that rubbed against skin, which was most clothes. But I’ll take it over Covid or the risk of long Covid since both reactions were about 24 hours. I just gotta call Aetna and see if these are covered yet and also hope that the rep who confirms it to me is correct.

Something I don’t understand is, if these shots give us the ability to transmit 5G signal, wouldn’t that hurt Big Telecom if that means we don’t need Verizon et al for cell service? I thought they’d be working with Big Government.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

eXXon posted:

Pretty good, thanks for asking.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1700282023447834898

Luckily I got my first dose of natural immunity a week before my booster appointment.

Christ almighty why do I have 0 recollection of Dec 2021 being that nuts? I swear Covid has totally warped my sense of time. I remember moving to Los Angeles in December of 2020, and maybe a few weeks later it made news that EMS didn’t have enough resources to pick up people and hospitals were crazy full.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I was gonna go to CVS today and while I know CVS owns Aetna or something I’m not gonna go until I get confirmation about it being covered. Aetna states it’s $0 for members who get their shots in network, but I have 0 trust to make any assumptions until I know for sure. The site/app only shows me doctors that give the vaccine, not the pharmacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Just got off the phone with Aetna asking about vaccination booster coverage. It was pretty clear they didn’t get this question before. Probably gonna call again tomorrow and see if another person can confirm it. I hate this country lol