Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sup with the mu variant? I've been out of the office since the beginning of the month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SubG posted:

I mean the last page has been mostly people arguing about whether or not you should care about source control (!), asking questions about what kind of protection EHMRs provide, and people reiterating the information about the 3M 6000 series with a 604 exhalation filter, and so on. Which seems to be what happens every time any of those subjects comes up. So it seems like exactly the sort of thing that would make sense to be in the OP. And...and this is a question...does the thread have a no misinformation rule? Like if someone came in and started extolling the virtues of Ivermectin would the be told to cut it out? If so, it might make sense to actually assert a position on e.g. masking.

That paper does not offer any guidance on EHMRs.

Hold up, is this a problem with the CDC's readily-available literature on NIOSH, or something else?

If you've got something, show it; I'd like to put it before GEMA for consideration Thursday

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gynovore posted:

BTW, I realize that I'm 18 months too late, but aren't the "Super Spreaders" and "Yes I Want Coronavirus" gangtags kinda inappropriate for this thread?

I mean this in good faith: you get that they're jokes, yes?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Idk, the absurdity of "Yes I want covid" *click* is a great inside joke aimed at the absurdity of the idea that we're living in an age where online boomers might as well be signing up for severe respiratory disease like it was a popup scam

It's like, the exact opposite of antivaxx sentiment. it's a solidarity statement

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 15, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Medullah posted:

"Hooray" my super anti-vaxx/"COVID is fake/the flu" Aunt and Uncle are now both extremely ill with COVID symptoms. :(

I'm sorry

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well I found out that my wife is going on immune suppressors for a recently diagnosed issue.

She's going to qualify for a booster as soon as she starts, but now I really need to make sure she's as protected as possible. I really worry about the kids bringing stuff home now.

Time to buy more N95s.

can she not "Yes this is my first vaccine" it asap?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what was the R value for OG covid that SA settled on? 8? 7?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Coldrice posted:

Big update to Covid Simulator tonight based on the feedback I got here!

It was noticed the "curve" of infection wasn't particularly realistic. There were a few problems with how it worked that carried over from its original super basic prototype:

1) the original prototype used circles to represent the distance, and was replaced by character sprites. This means the distance scale was no longer the same, as the characters were actually larger than the circles. I changed that to be a distance based model. the closer you are, the higher the exposure, the further you are the lower the exposure

2) upon catching covid, you were immediately able to spread covid to another person. I had a hard time finding concrete data on when you start breathing deadly covid gas, so for now you need at least 24 hours after infection to start spreading covid

3) when you're moving, it calculate the spread of covid the exact same as if you were standing still, even if you weren't facing each other. Now its smarter about spreading covid while moving

The result? A niceeee exponential curve taking between 2-5 days to completely spread across the building (depending on layouts and distances)

After getting this sorted, I promptly added a 9am meeting in the office for a handful of workers (managers?). I had just added cafeterias yesterday at noon time

(covid simulator: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator)

You are loving amazing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You are awesome!

https://twitter.com/Quinnae_Moon/status/1440444302518149121?s=20

It’s incredibly frustrating to see the fingers wagging and people trying to spread the word about vaccinations because it lacks the decorum liberals desperately crave. Who is this article for and what benefit does it provide?

vvvv statistics mean very little when you or your family are personally impacted. It is an airborne disease that has an R0 > 5. Those in power should treat it as such.

I do not understand the the Decorum Center's refusal to acknowledge the right's capacity to willingly support policies of self harm, whether that harm be allowing infrastructure to go unmaintained, their own schools to go underfunded, their rural hospitals to close, their own healthcare to continue rising in price while plummeting and quality, and I guess in this case whether or not they want to face enduring respiratory injury or death at the hand of SARS.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Petey posted:

So Alina Chan definitely has a dog in this fight, but she (re)posted a link to this leaked putative grant proposal from 2018 today: https://twitter.com/Ayjchan/status/1440279120861024264

that — apparently, taken on face value, which, again, should be cautious, and as I read it as an inexpert layperson — seems to be a group of US + Chinese scientists approaching DARPA in 2018 to fund a program by which they would engineer a novel, highly-contagious coronavirus (as/or a spike protein that they would inject into other viruses) and infect wild bats in caves in Yunnan in the hopes of developing broad cross-immunity that would prevent more dangerous unknown coronaviruses from spilling over.

None of this, of course, proves or even really suggests that cov-2 came from a lab; indeed, this is the kind of approach that would be implemented to prevent such a spillover. But it appears that DARPA turned it down for being too risky, and I have to say, it really did make my eyebrows go up as I read it, in terms of the kind of thing that would be seriously proposed within the vein of gain of function.

It has already widely become seized on by the right as proof of the plandemic and bioweaponry, and again, I don't think it shows that. But, if true, it startled me on the kind of stuff that these groups were working on.

e: looks like it originally was sourced from an Intercept FOIA, perhaps? https://theintercept.com/2021/09/06/new-details-emerge-about-coronavirus-research-at-chinese-lab/

I support the administration of research on coronaviruses in parrots and small mammals that dates back to the 1980s.

None of this is new or remotely radical.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Coldrice posted:

Alright all, COVID SIMULATOR v3 IS LIVE! This update focuses on improving the systems/realism to spreading Covid

you can get it free at https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

patch notes: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator/devlog/296832/version-3-is-live

would you be interested in keeping track of R0 in the current playthrough?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mod sassinator posted:

It's tiring to be two years into the worst pandemic in our modern history, one that has now killed more Americans than the last greatest pandemic, and still have people claiming we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism.

China has only lost 4k people to this pandemic--how about we follow whatever they've done instead of just throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, this is the best possible outcome.

It's not like the antivax concern trolls are inherently anti-authoritarian. Citation: recent pro-life Texas legislation

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StrangeThing posted:

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that everyone, including parents with children, people who live in apartments, etc, be completely banned from stepping foot outside their homes for a year?

Have you met humans? Who wouldn't want 'em locked up?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cops on every corner are likelier to get infected :unsmith:

Edit: this isn't CSPAM, ugh. I don't have a high-quality post to contribute; please forgive me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Further, how do you get cops to enforce covid rules, given that a national plurality of police are unvaccinated?

Flip side: what does a loosening of rules look like? Mandatory slobbery kissing of strangers in public? Rescue breathing as a replacement for handshakes? Hyperbolic joking aside, I'm not thinking of practicable ways in which we could be handling npi worse than we are in the US, especially in chud-sharia states.

Like, what is something your bog-standard Christian Conservative Chud would be morally willing to do in public that would spread covid more than it is already being spread?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Pay a ubi every month for the duration and people going outside won’t be a problem. Use the national guard to deliver fresh food to every residence each week. It doesn’t have to be dystopia, except for the profit motive thing.

Yo off the cuff I don't think you understand how many first world people work in logistics that cannot even hiccup without entire foodstocks going unavailable for days.

Like, I'm going to claim this entirely without evidence right now, but my prior reading on climate change challenges suggests that we have way more critical moving parts in strategically critical infrastructure, industry, and logistics than we have guardsmen.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poll plane variant posted:

We're talking about a regional lockdown in Australia, not a national welded-in lockdown of the United States

Sorry I didn't catch that.

That being acknowledged, is Australian industry and logistics particularly automated robotically or magically? Prior headline events suggest Australia is as much a house of cards as the rest of heavily industrialized society.

Clarification: we're talking about regional lockdown in Australia, but are we also talking about the "literally only military personnel step outside whatsoever," hypothetical?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 26, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mod sassinator posted:

People really need to think of this thing as a totally unemotional and determined killing maching, like a Terminator. It will kill children, unvaccinated, vaccinated, etc. alike if we give it the opportunity. It will stop at nothing to hunt them down to the ends of the earth where planes travel and restrictions are lax.

We can't even get societies to believe climate change is real enough to warrant deep investment in mitigation measures today.

I for one am not holding my breath that we'll take covid, anthropogenic climate change, school shootings, racial injustice, wealth inequality, any of this poo poo seriously as a society.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phigs posted:

- The prison example is perfect for showing the point that NPIs are necessary to control the spread of COVID and that vaccines alone are not the answer.

-It's the extreme end of the scale, we now know what happens when you hotbox a bunch of people with COVID, and it shows that vaccines in that scenario do very little to prevent infection.

-I'm going to assume that the less you are exposed to COVID the more effective vaccines are in further reducing your chances of getting COVID because the protection they provide is less likely to be overcome by viral load.

At this point you probably need to start citing where you're getting your information on these assertions that you're making, with the understanding that this will provide the thread the opportunity to point out where you are misinterpreting conclusions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phigs posted:

Not sure where you would expect me to pull sources for an "assertion" I started with "I'm going to assume that".

I'm at this point not sure if this is a bit.

Phigs posted:

People have already attacked the data and the validity of drawing conclusions from it so you needn't bother.

That's essentially why I'm kind of pointing out that you probably need to pony up or shut up, unless you aren't aware that you are actively creating misinf-

Phigs posted:

I don't need a lecture on the data science. I'm aware. I don't care.

Well there you go.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phigs posted:

Nobody is saying vaccines are worthless, they're saying they're grossly insufficient to stop infection and spread, especially after a few months without a booster...

...vaccines in that [linked prison] scenario do very little to prevent infection...

I mean, how did typing out this in particular not tip you off to the notion that you're going a bit fringe in your conclusions?

It's not as extreme as Bobbert's Tylenol gotcha that, expanded, attempts to peddle the idea that "Vaccines aren't real if they aren't 100% individually effective", but this conclusion sits on that spectrum

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 28, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gort posted:

I need a good mask to go to a convention for work. It's in a couple of months time, and everyone there will be vaccinated and masked, but I want to be as protected as possible.

Things I need are:

1. To be as protected as possible
2. To not look like a weirdo in a Gordon Freeman hazard suit (probably not that big a deal as everyone there will be masked anyway but I'd be lying if I was to say aesthetics didn't matter at all)
3. To be able to get the mask in the UK

Anyone got good suggestions?

black kn95 maybe, from a vetted source (see first post)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fritz the Horse posted:

I agree, internet mind control would be an easy way to enforce lockdowns, vaccination, and NPI usage to end the pandemic. Wonder why we didn't do that.

The largest content creators on Facebook would rather hawk alternative medicine and rightwing activism fundraising.

"Since September, posts from conservative media figures, news outlets and pages in support of Donald Trump made up for 68% of the top performing links on Facebook."

https://www.businessofbusiness.com/articles/alt-right-media-thrives-on-facebook-dan-bongino-ben-shapiro/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

Fair enough, just the first that came to mind. Either make a new thread or drop it, I'm willing to give a lot of leeway toward distrust of the media or whatever but this isn't a space for conspiracy theories and posting but I don't really have a lot of patience to talk stuff through this evening

I'm going to very strongly suggest to you that the right-wing presence on modern social media platforms is deliberately--not accidentally or by happenstantial emergence-- a mind control ecosystem, and if you'd entertain it we can begin dropping research on the moneyed intentionality behind viral rightwing conspiracies in here or in another thread.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 5, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

the ground rules

Peer reviewed research, from respected researchers :colbert:

the Tea Party movement is 11 years old this year; this isn't exactly unexplored territory. rightwing amplification of talking points through social media networks is measurable, engagement by engagement, and thoroughly researched by public policy and informatics labs that have grown into full-blown, publicly-funded institutes

Edit: I have them on ignore, but from the quote: is OOCC really doing What About in a thread about the Covid pandemic and limited tangentially-related issues like "how did vaccine hesitancy and microchip/biowarfare conspiracies bloom from fringe movements into something that an enormous swath of Americans perceive as a great threat to American civil liberties?"

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 5, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Yes the ship is sinking, but did you consider that glass of water you spilled 4 weeks ago during dinner? You're at fault too."

Good faith discussion has to involve some kind of sense of proportion.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Avian Pneumonia posted:

The headline is horribly misleading as children have orders of magnitude lower risk than just about every other age group.

But I was encouraged to see the NY Times publishing this article. It's late as heck and doesn't tell anybody who has been watching the data and science anything they haven't known for a long time but I respect the times for publishing something that is likely to upset so many of their readers.

deliberately inducing respiratory damage, so they can learn how the civil war was fought over ~states rights~

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StrangeThing posted:

gently caress CSPAM. The amount of harmful anti-science bullshit that gets peddled in there is insane, I'm surprised it's even allowed. The fact people were encouraging other to get boosters before it was even confirmed as a good idea is reprehensible.

Putting intra-forum drama aside for a moment, just... for the sake of your health, think twice before making personal health choices significantly divergent from CSPAM's understanding of pandemic topics.

CSPAM actually held out for a long while after it became clear internationally that boosters would be necessary, and they nailed the effectiveness falloff characteristic of original and delta covid on the head.

Even after several responsible nation states began booster programs for the elderly after publishing results on effectiveness of original vaccination with varying 2nd jab wait periods and need for boosters, CSPAM advised people not to get a booster for fear of unknown risk vs benefit.

I'm sorry this doesn't fit into your narrative, but CSPAM handled the booster situation responsibly and predicted both the medical and policy outcomes precisely. They got this right, giving proper and responsible advice. You are not able to discard that thread's findings and advice on this basis.

CSPAM effortposters do genuinely know how to (1) accurately parse scientific information and (2) provide responsible practical advise on that information with (3) fastidious attention to risk management.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 21, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a specific lack of confidence in international research on boosters or domestically available research from Pfizer on boozers?

I ask because there appears to be some discussion taking place that seems to deliberately turn a blind eye towards this specific context: discussion talking about the concept of boosters in general rather than specifically grounding the discussion in what is currently known about this specific illness and this specific kinda-schedule-kinda-not-schedule.

How are u posted:

Please just stick to the booster schedule approved by the FDA.

:same:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 21, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

They did for awhile but I think it was out of necessity rather than any theory that it was a superior approach

That was my interpretation as well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

As someone who got the J&J one-and-done have they discussed what the booster schedule might look like for that?

Adding on to everyone else here and so as to not repeat them, J&J is in an odd place. Studies are hinting (on a pre-review, pre-publication) basis that it might have been nearly as effective as a Pfizer regimen if issued as a pair of doses spread in cohorts who took it in regimens as aggressive as two weeks to as slow as ten weeks. J&J may eventually have a dual dose base regimen, and it may eventually get a booster schedule in the future.

It's just not one of the FDA recommended boosters today, and it may never be. We're going to know more by the new year.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mischievous Mink posted:

My local rite aid let me get my third and I don't have any physical disabilities or specific risks, which I was up front with them about. I don't think the answer is a definitive yes or no, it seems like it'll vary for folks.

CVS in Atlanta (specifically under the direction of Fulton County) is more than happy to boost any person. Federal agencies may be making recommendations, but local and state politics weigh on in actual administration terms for vaccination.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's an oocc strawman

nobody on SA was getting a booster before 6 months and saying anything about it, nevertheless advocating for doing so. nobody was getting boosters before it became an international norm except as directed by doctors (oncologist in my specific case).

follow FDA guidelines

Edit: "booster bandit" and "Max Titters" (originally "Dick Wang") are memes that emerged regarding getting boostrs after the establishment of an international norm to get a 6-month booster, in jurisdictions where it was necessary to subvert a lovely state or county booster policy after the US federal agencies began recommending boosters for the elderly and sick

only a small handful of people actually got boosts after it became clear that most nations wanted to give 6-8 month boosters once the supply issues for primary vaccination became less of an issue but before the American feds stepped in and made noise about recommending elderly boosters. this topic moved quickly, and if this was any other poster I would say it could be an honest mistake

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 21, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

at this point, just follow federal recommendations as pretty much everybody on SA has been inclined to do for a while

just weird bones to pick, heck.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Ferret King posted:

Federal guidance had us remove our masks in May.

I'm not saying they're always wrong or stupid, but my skepticism isn't exactly without merit.

Eh, at this point it is a matter of public record that the understanding of reputable labs and sponsored research advising the CDC continuously through the pandemic was that NPIs remained an important component of risk management. If I read the room correctly, it is by now pretty broadly accepted itt that the move to reduce masking requirements in May was motivated by non-medical forces.

Like yeah, your skepticism is absolutely valid given that our federal agencies have misfired on messaging on the NPI subject before. My very subjective take would be that it was kind of obvious at the time that it was a mistake, strictly from a medical standpoint and without considering the complex question of compliance fatigue.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 21, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"it happened a few times and someone got probed for it, so it's relevant" is a very strange way to try to say that something was acceptable thread behavior instead of a swiftly-silenced irregularity.

like, I think I once got (justifiably) probed in here for quoting a long post with a low-effort "im gay," and it would be a weird stretch for someone a few months from now to try to claim that everyone in here was gay in the fall of 2021

I know that this example is dumb and reductive, but... this isn't exactly complex

Edit: more to the point, before I talked to my physician in early August about potentially getting a booster, I asked the same question elsewhere on SA, and I was overwhelmingly and very sternly set back on a straight and narrow path regarding being a solo guinea pig

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 21, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jaxyon posted:

Some people talked about it for pages.

Didn't say it was acceptable behavior, but you said it didn't happen at all and you're wrong.

Trust me I'm not happy having to defend OOCC here.

I think I can accept that you and I have kind of worked towards a middle point and mutual understanding here, if we both kinda agree that:
1) Yes, the topic was discussed pretty extensively.
2) No, discussion of new data does not constitute recommendation for action

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

That's broad enough that it seems like if there were hardly any data on J&J for <18 it'd be a schedule (course?) change instead of a booster

Perhaps not coincidentally, 8 weeks is right about in that preliminary butter zone for optimal J&J second dose effectiveness.

Tangent: we've been kind of US-centric for a moment, but what's the latest on AstraZeneca effectiveness and boosters?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fritz the Horse posted:

personally, i get all my pandemic information and advice from the politics communities on the web 1.0 pig poop balls forum

Bad idea regarding politics, however so far regarding parsing and interpreting pandemic information it's batting extremely high.

it continues to be weird how much this upsets people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Solkanar512 posted:

Folks keep saying this without any evidence what so ever, while continuing to poo poo all over the folks who are actually doing the hard work.

So yeah, it’s not weird at all if you actually think about it.

This is getting tedious. I'm not even really sure if you warrant correction on this and every other topic on which you're so plainly incorrect, given others attempts above.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 18, 2021