Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Worth noting that a coronavirus is a type of virus, or rather a family of types of virus. It describes the structure and is one of the least useful ways to refer to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19.

vvvv yeah i mean in the OP

I don't mean police the people in the thread about it, i call it that too(though mostly "covid")

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

buglord posted:

Jesus H man. I had a buddy of mine my age (29) get infected and he almost died at the hospital. I'm a little scared to ask if he was vaccinated or not, but on top of that he was a supremely heavy drinker and got cirrhosis (though I haven't verified if covid can cause that or if it was only from drinking). He had a 2 week stay and lost 20 lbs from infection to release. Still on oxygen occasionally now, and his feet aren't working for some reason and hes having to retrain the muscle or something. We don't talk super often because hes kind of a stubborn rear end any anything and everything, but he really got flattened by this.

I still have another buddy (21) who hasnt gotten a single dose yet, and on one hand im not sure if investing the time into convincing him will work because he's had two family members die of covid. I'll happily employ any face saving emotion/pride appealing methods to get him to listen, because hes real cool but also really freaking stubborn about this.

e: I guess to put a positive note in, my mom who religiously watches Fox News is very excited for her third dose as soon as shes eligible. I was terrified she'd never get dosed up early this year.

You need to figure out the reason why he's resistant/denier/skeptical/stupid.

It's not coming from a rational place, so reasoning is unlikely to convince him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

buglord posted:

despite being a socailist bernie bro he does follow a lot of natural medicine spiritual healing aesthetic instagram pages. I get the appeal of thinking you're a child of nature pure from the corruption of pharmaceutical influence but like he also smokes weed and eat spicy chicken nuggets from McDonalds (the latter of which I'd personally consider gods medicine but thats besides the point). Maybe its just fear of making the wrong choice, I know some people are likely to avoid making a choice entirely when they feel making a choice carries risk, even if inaction is a choice.

He's anti-science with regards to medicine.

"Natural medicine" is generally the same molecules but less tightly controlled and dosed. Like sure chewing willow bark might help with pain relief so does aspirin.

You're not going to science him out of that because his current opinion is based on fear of things he doesn't understand IMO.

Professor Beetus posted:

This is the shittiest rollercoaster.

An informed opinion I saw the other day has this at another 1-3 years in realistic terms, figuring in for America being just The Worst.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Vasukhani posted:

Why is the process for children so much longer?

It's not.

A decision was made to start the process later for children, because "kids don't get or spread covid"

This may have been a bad move.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
So one of the big takeaways from the CA recall is that people are super OK with mask and vaccine mandates and want more strict covid controls.

CLOSE 'ER UP

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm not sure the recall results are that clear, given the particular Republican candidate looking to win in the recall. It's probably a good sign, but I'd be curious to see what the results would look like if it was explicitly a measure to continue with mandates and restrictions.

I'm probably overstating it somewhat, but

https://twitter.com/kabir_here/status/1437919445083643907

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Mellow Seas posted:

It’s not a matter of “not caring,” VS, it’s a matter of Biden not having dictatorial powers to make people comply with government directives. Biden has been emphatic as hell about everyone getting the vaccine, no equivocation or bad CDC guidance there, and a hundred million people still refuse.

There’s also the question of whether endorsing going maskless if vaccinated let to higher vaccination rates, which I’m doubtful of (for the same reason I doubt the mask guidance made a big difference) but was definitely part of the calculus.

There's a lot of stuff a sitting president can do between "talking about it sometimes" and "dictator"

The fact that he leans closely at the former and that's about it indicates he doesn't care, or doesn't care much due to his position of privilege.

This thread has gone over and over things he could do that's short of "dictator".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

It doesn't really matter because kids aren't even getting 1' of space in most classrooms. They're hoping that covid moves in straight lines and only when students are at desks so the plastic barriers can stop it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
That sounds like viral gastroenteritis not influenza.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Corporates America update:

Hybrid model. We are going to require vaccines at my medium sized (over 1000 employees) business for in-office work, but:

1) We allow medical and humanitarian exemptions

2) No proof required, it's via attestation only.

If you think this raises a lot of questions....congratulations, you must have been at our office meeting.

And for those wondering how much federal state and local rules matter, we operate in 30+ countries and the official corporate line is that we go by whatever the public health rules are where we are.

Which means that countries with a fraction of the US infection rate have closed offices but the US is "open 'er up"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Levitate posted:

Yeah, it differs from person to person obviously but even the idea of "well the government should just pay everyone enough to stay home and take care of kids!" is poorly thought out and would put a huge hardship on parents. For one, lots of people can't just pause their jobs, or don't WANT to pause their jobs. Unless the government could literally tell every business and institution in the country to halt everything their doing and not let any of their workers work, then you end up disadvantaging people who have to stop working to care for their kids. Even if there's some law that their jobs have to be waiting for them, how many people do you think are gonna get hosed over when they go back to their job and have lost responsibility and promotion possibilities (this is not new at all, it happens to women all the time when they have kids!)
On top of that, staying home with your kids isn't some fun vacation time, it can extremely difficult day in and day out especially during a pandemic. Kids aren't easy, it isn't a "well you just don't love your kids and don't want to spend time with them" thing, it is just an exhausting tiring thing to do sometimes even with the best behaved kids.

Nobody said it was easy, but the government could very much do this and other governments have done this.

quote:

There really aren't any great or easy solutions to the kids and school problem...there are 100% things that could have been done better, maybe there could have been more pressure to get vaccination trials started sooner, push back school openings, more effort to make classrooms safer, less emphasis on "well kids are a low risk group so let's not worry about it too hard" which in retrospect was bad messaging that's causing problems now with people saying "well kids don't get covid!", but ultimately there was no easy fix to this either and that's probably partly why we have the muddled response that we got...no one really knew how to do this poo poo.

Governments already did know how to do this that's why governments in some places did do things.

Test, trace, isolate is a well known tactic in response to a pandemic as are quarantine lockdowns.

We had entire huge guides on how to handle pandemics.

We have legions of experts.

"Nobody knew" isn't a really good take.

quote:

Re: removing the mask mandates/recommendations, it's pretty obvious they were hoping to incentivize more people getting the vaccines with the carrot of "then you'll be able to go back to normal!" but it was poorly thought out and then they got caught with their pants down with delta.

They weren't caught with their pants down it was already known months in advance of removing mask mandates.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Levitate posted:

Done what? Send kids back to school safely?

No. Sending kids to in-person schooling is a mistake, without vastly lower rates.

However many countries have successfully managed to safely and ecnomically lockdown large parts of the population for long periods.

quote:

I think there is another context/argument that you really are ultimately making and that's about how the US government and US people have basically failed at this pandemic and I feel the "other countries have done this" argument is more appropriate as a critique of the overall US culture, form of government, and people itself. When I talk about the stuff I talk about it's in the context of knowing our country is hosed and we can't go back in time and magically find a way to fix it before this. I don't think the people in the US, the state and local governments, etc, are willing and able to carry out the things you talk about. The federal government would have to be willing to use military force all over the nation to enforce quarantines and lockdowns and mandates and we know they won't do that, but you can't rely on local authorities to do it either.
Basically, I wish the US had the ability to confront this thing better than it did but honestly I don't think it was ever a possibility no matter who was president at any tiem during the pandemic. This country just doesn't work that way to its obvious detriment in this instance. That is a valid critique of the US and its response but I just don't really feel like it's a winning comeback to these type of conversations either. "Well the US should have just done what we know it's incapable of doing!". At the very least dig into why.

"nobody knew" what to do about kids and schools because they hosed up thinking ahead about their "kids don't get sick" messaging and honestly I don't think they really prioritized a good solution, but I still don't think there was or is a good clean solution within the context of what we have to work with in the United States.

The issue is you're applying a lack of information or ignorance to the bad decisions it has made, which isn't the case. The government has had information indicating what is a good or bad decision, and it has made a number of bad decisions.

Pretending it's an honest accident does not create a culture of accountability or a nation where things can get better.

quote:

Caught with their pants down can also mean they disregarded what was happening in India (thinking "well it's India that's basically a third world country right??) when tehy should have been paying attention. It doesn't mean there was nothing they could have done to foresee this, it means they were unprepared for a variety of reasons and it's on them for loving up the response

Caught with their pants down implies it was a surprise or accident, to me.

It was neither.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

HonorableTB posted:

I was able to get her to agree by listening to her fears instead of trying to shame her, and I was able to gently persuade her into it by telling her that I had gotten the shots and was totally fine, and I wouldn't ask her to do anything unsafe or anything that I wasn't also willing to do myself. I also made the point that her young children (she's a single mom, our area was extremely working class) aren't old enough to get the shots yet so the best protection she could give them was to get herself protected too so she had a better chance of not bringing it home to her babies.

Personal connections matter, they really do. I am really beginning to believe the only way we can convince some of the vaccine hesitant people (the ones who aren't hardliners and who are just unable to tell good info from bad) is to use those connections and leverage them into persuasion. Literally the only reason my friend agreed is because I told her it was safe, and she trusts my judgment. She even made the appointment and provided me all the screenshots of the details, without being asked.

Thank you for doing good work. This kind of stuff isn't easy but it does work better than most anything else.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
FDA IS IN THE PARKETS OF BIG....chiro I guess?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

lil poopendorfer posted:

You are a CNA last I checked the HCW thread, stop acting like you're some authority on the matter

I mean seriously right, do they realize how many posts we've read on this subject? Get on our level, loser.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

mod sassinator posted:

Nearly 700k Americans are dead, over 2,500 are dying a day. Can we stop trivializing this disease and treat it with the respect appropriate to the #3 killer of all Americans? I don't think cute animals are appropriate in this discussion. People are loving dying.

Stop pretending people in this thread don't care because they disagree with you.

Probably some people posting here suck, but thread tax exists specifically because we do know this is serious and people are dying including people we know, our family, and ourselves and we need something to push off the darkness a bit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Is there a good site to compare covid numbers based on *city*? Not country or state.

International specifically.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Focusing the entire conversation of "keeping Covid under control" on China is stupid and people keep doing it because it allows them to not have hard conversations about reality and face the fact that the US has basically just let 3/4 of a million people die for no good reason.

If you have to talk about the reality of treating the pandemic like any number of countries, that have been able to control it that are not China, then you have to get down into the details of exactly why the US is a failed state on many levels.

So, much easier to talk about China, a country that's very very bad but also did good on Covid. Then we talk about Uygher genocide and the Great Firewall and pretend that Australia, South Korea, etc, are some unachievable ideal.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

LionArcher posted:

Just read the last dozen pages.

Bunch of dog whistling racist comments about China, as posters through up their hands pretending like we don’t live in a lovely police state here, but only about racist poo poo when police power is threatened instead of what would actual help people.

We could have stopped this. We still can too, but it involves actually aggressive measures, by an administration who has no interest in actually fixing it. and the liberals in D&D are mostly cowardly computer touchers who will defend Biden’s lovely lack of help.

This is the bad COVID thread, and I say that as someone who got dunked on in the good thread today for a dumb post about BMI (which is my own dumb fault and I was pissed and blowing off steam.)

There's idiots in both threads and good posts in both threads

but putting some forum war on a slightly different thread is dumb.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

nexous posted:

If there were a box with a button on it, and every time you push the button someone dies horribly of Covid, but you get a Covid free brunch, how many times would you push the button

for me personally, prob every Sunday

Same, OP

open 'er up

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Booourns posted:

I'd consider nearly 700k dead americans to be "wrong"
Like that number is still blowing my mind holy poo poo

even if you assume India is lying and triple it's numbers it's still below the US in per capita deaths

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Slow News Day posted:

If you are fully vaccinated and otherwise at no risk, then by all means, resume your previous lifestyle, including brunch, gym, conferences, sports events, etc.

I know there are people who still advocate for not leaving one's house, but they are (fortunately) a very tiny minority.

lol everybody i know with relevant background on infectious disease avoids events with lots of people outdoors and anything indoors if at all possible

edit: tax

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 25, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Slow News Day posted:

One of the people in my bi-weekly (indoor) rock climbing group is an RN and another is an epidemiologist who works at the state department of health.

That is to say, anecdotes don't mean poo poo.

Yeah that's why they look at evidence instead of being idiots.

Also I bet your state has lovely covid guidelines so connect the dots there.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

nexous posted:

“gonna carry some TNT into my gym, but don’t worry, I did a self assessment of the risk and I’m ok with getting blown up” -an idiot in this thread

Got a police bomb expert in my Denny's suck-n-gently caress crew. He thinks it's fine.

Don't you trust him to not blow up a poor minority neighborhood in LA?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I remember school discussion.

So it might be useful to bring up that major school districts were never, ever even serious about remote schooling this year.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/surge-in-demand-for-remote-learning-overwhelms-l-a-public-schools/

It wasn't real and nobody had any plan.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

StrangeThing posted:

Yes you can.

Do you, like, shake it's spike protein?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

Real talk for a minute, as far as the US is concerned, is anyone in here against the idea of stronger NPIs in addition to big vaccination initiatives? I'm not saying you all can't debate and discuss but let's make sure we're not just yelling past each other when it comes to the bottom line. Which, ya know, is ideally doing whatever we can to stop and contain the spread of this deadly virus.

I think people are mostly arguing about what and aren't effective NPIs and whether people are basing their personal risk assessments on accurate data.

And given that I'd say all but maybe 5 people in this thread have their expertise on the subject come from the school of Google that's where it gets yelly.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

StrangeThing posted:

My gym won't require masks in Victoria, Aus, but that's only when we get to 80% double dose, and there are density requirements as well.

Just as a fun comparison, the 7 day moving average for your state is almost exactly 1/10th of where I live, California, the only state in the US that's doing slightly OK.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Epic High Five posted:

In my experience, people will wear a mask if they're mandated and will not if they aren't. Indoors or whatever, doesn't matter. There is also a cascading effect where if they go into a place and like half the people aren't wearing one, they'll take their own off because if it's not getting enforced who cares. So it's a two prong thing

Saw this the other day. I went to a private garden that has a fairly limited entrance per day, everything out door and distanced.

They required masks for everyone but apparently nobody told 75% of the men(and it was all men, despite a 50/50 gender split on attendees), and soon almost everyone took their masks off.

So we left.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

freebooter posted:

We also have about 1/5th the population of California and have been under incredibly strict lockdown for two months now, so this actually looks very bad IMO! (Unless California is undertesting, which is probably true of anywhere that's mostly gone back to normal.)

Indiana has roughly the same population and 4x the numbers. Tennessee roughly 5x.

Delta is really really infectious.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
P100 is just a filtration rating, not a mask type.

Full reusable face masks are called elastomerics, and they can be used with 95 or 100 level filtration.

There's disagreement on whether they protect just you, or you and others since they do not filter the output valve except on certain models.

Disposable masks generally don't have an exhalation valve and will filter air coming in and out.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
lol if you're not wearing one of these to do go get your curbside pickup grocery runs

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Hi everyone, where are the links to the good KN-95/N-95 masks? They were like a buck a pop or something. I know I can’t trust Amazon because they apparently mix in good product with counterfeit.

https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

How are u posted:

Jesus, how many people itt wear the full elasto masks?

Never seen a single one in my area that takes masking pretty seriously, and never in any of my travels around our region throughout the pandemic.

How are u posted:

Are the p100s the full-on Bane-style cover your whole head and face respirators?

If so I would have no idea why people wear them, I've literally never seen a single person in one this entire pandemic.

I feel like you should explore why you felt the need to post on this twice per page.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Somebody posted some sort of 3M full head advanced filtration system at like a supermarket over in the CSPAM thread.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Gio posted:

Those are PAPRs, and as someone who frequently posts in that thread, I don’t remember anyone doing that.

No not someone in that thread, somebody spotted it out in public.

It was cool looked like a space helmet.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
https://laist.com/news/education/covid-19-pandemic-student-enrollment-decline-los-angeles-lausd

quote:

The Los Angeles Unified School District has some 27,000 fewer students enrolled this year than last year, according to new data presented to the district's board of education this week. The enrollment decline is about three times the annual decline seen in years prior to the pandemic.

District leaders were caught off-guard by the steep drop.

Yeah who could have imagined throwing kids into a meatgrinder would be unpopular

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

How are u posted:

The only way out is through.

Expand on this. What does this mean?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

How are u posted:

We claw our way up to 90+% vaccination rate nationwide and worldwide over the course of a couple more years. I don't expect any radical changes with regards to NPIs from what's going on now. There will be no 'zero covid' in the future, set expectations accordingly.

That's my take anyway!

What makes you think we get to 90%+

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

If I'm reading that right, sounds like it will be great news if Delta ever stops being the dominant strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Gio posted:

or even KN95’s shown to have inferior filtration efficiency (Powecom),

What's that?

Thread favorite Bonafide Masks is a major distributor of their product