Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hubbert posted:

Now these are the kind of graphs I can get behind.

I'm going to enjoy some treats now (coffee).

:coffeepal:

:blessed:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5f2858f91771f0&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Soggy Muffin posted:

Black and White was the poo poo. I remember it coming out same time as Tribes 2 and that was when we peaked imo

It pretty much broke multi-player when I taught my critter how to do sacrifices at the altar.

Match starts, my dude runs halfway across the map and starts hucking neutral and hostile children through the air like 1200m or some poo poo into the sacrificial fire, then he was on to blasting fireballs and lightning at all and sundry.

They will never make a game like it again

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Fuuuuck, I wonder if I can get a copy running again.

Doubt I have the patience to train another critter though, or that anyone else is playing.

Or if they are, they're absolute nightmares made flesh and fire by this point

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Scarabrae posted:

everything is a dumb rear end 5v5 slow ADS tactical squad shooter thing, counterstrike ruined FPS

this is the worst post in all of forums history you absolute grotesque shitwart

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
camperstrike nerd spotted

kater
Nov 16, 2010

counterstrike was good when it was 12v12 on cs_deagle and you could run around knifing half a dozen people

5v5 listen for the pin drop is a ducking abomination

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

cs_office corridor firing squad three wide stacked two high. One trying to peek out side door and getting in the way

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

esports ruined cs just like it did everything else.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

the best fps ever was unreal tournament 2004 with triple jump and low grav on, gently caress counter strike

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Maed posted:

the best fps ever was unreal tournament 2004 with triple jump and low grav on, gently caress counter strike
:hmmyes:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
what is the most biosphere collapse video game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hubbert posted:

Terra nil

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

RIP Syndrome posted:

esports ruined cs just like it did everything else.

It's just capitalism. It's only ruining that perfect moment in time you remember. When the money flowed into existing infrastructure before the perverse effects took hold. There'll still be niche games that hit the mark, and private servers running old games that still play great.

But that first boom cycle is like your in your own action movie. The chosen people. Your world gets bigger overnight and it feels like everyone is going to the moon. All your buddies or the content creators in the space are gonna be stars. The master tools created by the artists get scaled up with some success.

But then growth stops at some point, and the capitalism has to cut it's losses.

Dev's, Live Service Support, Artists, Musicians are all albatrosses at some point. Fixed costs that can't be depended on for quarter over quarter revenue like advertising blitzes or having producers repack content into sellable DLC/Music/Skins. Shareholders want to buy back that cheap stock, and find a new unicorn to suck the blood out of and lift it's price back up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nix Panicus posted:

Hamburger nightmares is doing real psychic damage to me right now

Please, they're called Americans.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hubbert posted:

outpost

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sanlav posted:

It's just capitalism. It's only ruining that perfect moment in time you remember. When the money flowed into existing infrastructure before the perverse effects took hold. There'll still be niche games that hit the mark, and private servers running old games that still play great.

yeah poo poo keeps falling apart around us, but the enemy territory and aq2 servers my gang plays on? those things will only die when power finally cuts out lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Maed posted:

too slow. ut99 was better -- no vehicles + no distractingly detailed textures, shaders, or static meshes.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Hubbert posted:

fate of the world

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Maed posted:

that's an interesting way of spelling quake arena

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

that's an interesting way of spelling quake arena

Playing quake arena on office lan every night from 5-6pm at the HVAC shop was some of the best gaming i ever did.

Best flight sim - XWing Vs Tie hosted matched on CALI or IPX in the mid 90's

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hubbert posted:

cookie clicker

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

Sim City 2000 with all the disasters happening at once

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sanlav posted:

Playing quake arena on office lan every night from 5-6pm at the HVAC shop was some of the best gaming i ever did.

Best flight sim - XWing Vs Tie hosted matched on CALI or IPX in the mid 90's

For me it was Counterstrike - the original one, not CS:Source. We would get off the school bus every afternoon, and instead of going home we would head to an Internet Cafe (not sure if the US ever had those - Turkey definitely did). We would then spend several hours pwning each other. The cafes were nice because you could also order food and drinks delivered from nearby restaurants, which usually meant we'd keep playing for hours, until our parents called the cafe's landline one by one asking the owner to send us home.

By the time Quake Arena came out we were all too busy with university exams, but still managed to play it together once or twice a month. Good times.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slow News Day posted:

For me it was Counterstrike - the original one, not CS:Source. We would get off the school bus every afternoon, and instead of going home we would head to an Internet Cafe (not sure if the US ever had those - Turkey definitely did). We would then spend several hours pwning each other. The cafes were nice because you could also order food and drinks delivered from nearby restaurants, which usually meant we'd keep playing for hours, until our parents called the cafe's landline one by one asking the owner to send us home.

By the time Quake Arena came out we were all too busy with university exams, but still managed to play it together once or twice a month. Good times.

hell yeah. ever play at adeks Beşiktaş ?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

hell yeah. ever play at adeks Beşiktaş ?

I didn't grow up in Istanbul, but Adeks was popular enough that I had definitely heard of it even in my hometown. Visited it once or twice when I went back to visit friends in college, and it was impressive.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slow News Day posted:

I didn't grow up in Istanbul, but Adeks was popular enough that I had definitely heard of it even in my hometown. Visited it once or twice when I went back to visit friends in college, and it was impressive.
those were the days, and they kicked rear end

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hubbert posted:

Diddy Kong Racing

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Truga posted:

doom/quake/tribes era really was the best time for fps, everything is slowed down garbo now so you can "appreciate the details". let me glide/strafejump over the map at speed of sound goddammit

Scarabrae posted:

everything is a dumb rear end 5v5 slow ADS tactical squad shooter thing, counterstrike ruined FPS

the problem is they are frustration sims to new players, they rarely spend the time to get better and skill diff in those games means you're unlikely to do poo poo against great players.

TiFa2 is the most recent one i can think of and its fantastic but ran into the same issue. New players really hate playing against the ones who really play with the systems.

Apex is fascinating how it changed to become better for new players while still being at least faster than any other popular FPS by a good margin.

anyways not really collapse but my interest was engaged.

Edit: See also the death of RTS and the current small scale attempts to revive the genre. I don't think competitive RTS is gonna get big again

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/ProfBillMcGuire/status/1773375386014908749
Anyone else notice we've given up even keeping the pretense of trying

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol looking that that guy's twits
https://twitter.com/ProfBillMcGuire/status/1773110343067128034
they also picked saudi for the climate summit, why not this?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

too slow. ut99 was better -- no vehicles + no distractingly detailed textures, shaders, or static meshes.

this

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

this game should have been so much better. sierra really hosed up.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

4d3d3d posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfBillMcGuire/status/1773375386014908749
Anyone else notice we've given up even keeping the pretense of trying

Trying is the first step to failure.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

uguu posted:

It is instructive to read Candide to learn what it will take for all these little Panglosses to change their mind.

i don't have nearly enough time to do all my regular poo poo AND run a fraudulent game of roulette in Buenos Aires

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Hubbert posted:

its not really biosphere collapse but Banished is a pretty good malthusian trap simulator

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fanfic insert posted:

its not really biosphere collapse but Banished is a pretty good malthusian trap simulator

It's great when you run out of iron so you run out of tools and then the entire economy just absolutely shits the bed around you

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Hubbert posted:

Civ 6 Gathering Storm with monopolies and apocalypse mode on, disasters set to high

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hubbert posted:

spec ops the line

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i should go back and play that. I tried once and didn't even get to the Shocking Bits because I hated the core gameplay. Like, something about how the combat arenas in the very start were just a couple obstacle props in a featureless desert void, but you couldn't go outside the combat arena. It made sense given the technical limitations of the consoles it was released on, but it was all I could see and it wasn't fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sanlav posted:

But that first boom cycle is like your in your own action movie. The chosen people. Your world gets bigger overnight and it feels like everyone is going to the moon. All your buddies or the content creators in the space are gonna be stars. The master tools created by the artists get scaled up with some success.

But then growth stops at some point, and the capitalism has to cut it's losses.

Dev's, Live Service Support, Artists, Musicians are all albatrosses at some point. Fixed costs that can't be depended on for quarter over quarter revenue like advertising blitzes or having producers repack content into sellable DLC/Music/Skins. Shareholders want to buy back that cheap stock, and find a new unicorn to suck the blood out of and lift it's price back up.

good post