Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

4d3d3d posted:

You don't tell a dying patient they'll be ok.

I see you haven’t heard of the Kaiser Permanente style of medicine.

it’s way more profitable it turns out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

the mobile link the app gives you doesn’t work, or at least I don’t know how to get the bbcode link from my phone. on desktop it gives you more share options.

I used the img /img code and it worked, my post just showed up as a blank post so I assumed Imgur is not an acceptable host for SA forums and maybe yous guys had resurrected waffleimages or something since I had last been here

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

RandomBlue posted:

When you're essentially powerless to do anything about it you either drive yourself crazy posting in the biosphere collapse thread or you ignore it as best you can.

Or you make beep boops. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/03-12-2024a

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

I used the img /img code and it worked, my post just showed up as a blank post so I assumed Imgur is not an acceptable host for SA forums and maybe yous guys had resurrected waffleimages or something since I had last been here

You have to add the image format suffix to it when placing it in the IMG brackets, else it doesn't load. E.g. put a .png at the end of the link.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I like these beep boops.

Maybe you might like these beep boops?

https://open.spotify.com/album/7zAdvXCmLxeq3x8D7udsuj?si=pCqIJuOCTQuE1PSCTHe3eQ

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:hmmyes:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

uguu posted:

Also, somewhat related, the hatred of some people against climate activists profoundly scares and saddens me.

same. like most folks i wake up every day thrilled to do my small part to help change the climate, but i dont get why people are so mad at folks who are really moving the needle. maybe it's envy? there's a place for all of us in the great common task and i just wish more people could see that

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

When you're essentially powerless to do anything about it you either drive yourself crazy posting in the biosphere collapse thread or you ignore it as best you can.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Mar 25, 2024

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

https://x.com/Climate_Earth20/status/1771978960341233833?s=20

I'm still team sun.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

RandomBlue posted:

Por que no los dos?

Stereotype posted:

im not crazy, im laughing actually. would a crazy person be laughing this much??

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ya but everything is still on so I gotta work tomorrow, kind of a nothingburger

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
C'mon Sun, I believe in you, you can do better than that, hit us like you mean it!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I can’t stress enough how little the sun cares about humans.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
we need to take the biosphere down with us. I don't want to risk being mocked by aliens or future squidmen.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
lol https://www.businessinsider.com/baby-boomers-florida-appalachia-retirees-rural-georgia-population-growth-2024-3

quote:

Boomers fed up with Florida are moving to southern Appalachia, fueling a population spike in longtime rural communities

The Wall Street Journal recently reported that many so-called "halfbacks" — or boomers who moved from the Northeast and Midwest to Florida before settling in environs midway — are starting to populate once-heavily rural counties in areas that include Southwest Virginia, North Georgia, parts of both North Carolina and South Carolina, and portions of Alabama and Tennessee.

Many boomers moving into southern Appalachia have also bypassed Florida altogether.

The population in southern Appalachian counties that have retirement or recreational areas grew by 3.8% from April 2020 to July 2022 — a rate significantly higher than the national average — according to The Journal.

The changes have brought forth a sort of whiplash. Counties once defined by miles of countryside now see sustained development — newly-sprouted retirement communities featuring upscale amenities.

Big-box stores, more commonplace in larger cities and suburbs, have also crept further into southern Appalachia, where local downtowns have long been the economic engines of many towns and small cities. And with newer residents comes a growing demand for government services and additional housing and roads.

Ed Helms, who is retired, and his wife, Johnnie, moved to a gated North Georgia community that partially sits in both Dawson and Pickens counties after living in Panama City Beach, Florida.

The couple sought to leave Florida due to the threat of hurricanes, increased traffic congestion, and elevated costs, The Journal reported. And while Ed Helms has encountered new development in North Georgia, he told the newspaper that it still pales in comparison with the sort of growth that he witnessed in Florida.

"Our property insurance was going sky high," he said of Florida living. "We got tired of being unable to find a place to sit in restaurants."

Billy Thurmond, a county native and the chairman of the Dawson County Board of Commissioners, told The Journal that some recent arrivals now stop him to express their frustration over the sustained development.

"People who have moved here now want us to put up a gate and stop anybody else from moving here," he told the newspaper. "It doesn't work that way."

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Imagine how the people that were born there feel

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

500excf type r posted:

we’re trying to leave too but none of us can afford it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so is it going to go back to normal or what?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

CODChimera posted:

so is it going to go back to normal or what?

it’s going to normal

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
What a beautiful time to be alive.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

lower delaware with its handful of beaches is seeing one of the most amazing boomer-colonialism growth spurts ever.

they buy a 50 acre farm and turn it into 150 - 200 3 and 4br houses. then a year later another one down the road, over and over until now there's clusters where its like a checkboard, farm, subdivision, farm, subdivision. so the drainage is completely hosed and as warmer/heavier storms roll in the flooding is compounded.

then they all try to drive to the beach 15 - 20 minutes away, cry their brains out about traffic, cry their brains out about parking, and then come back with an anecdote about what jerks the people near them on the beach were. oh also the restaurant was crowded and the service was slow and the food was expensive and its impossible to get a doctors appointment because their eyeglass prescription doesn't seem right when they drive home (its not the blood thinners for their heart disease and the bottle of wine with dinner ofc).

truly gods most loved creatures.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Mar 25, 2024

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

MightyBigMinus posted:

lower delaware with its handful of beaches is seeing one of the most amazing boomer-colonialism growth spurts ever.

they buy a 50 acre farm and turn it into 150 - 200 3 and 4br houses. then a year later another one down the road, over and over until now there's clusters where its like a checkboard, farm, subdivision, farm, subdivision. so the drainage is completely hosed and as warmer/heavier storms roll in the flooding is compounded.

then they all try to drive to the beach 15 - 20 minutes away, cry their brains out about traffic, cry their brains out about parking, and then come back with an anecdote about what jerks the people near them on the beach were. oh also the restaurant was crowded and the service was slow and the food was expensive and its impossible to get a doctors appointment because their eyeglass prescription doesn't seem right when they drive home (its not the blood thinners for their heart disease and the bottle of wine with dinner ofc).

This is rural southern new England as well. Destroying all the good irreplaceable farm land to build warehouses and upscale housing developments no one can afford

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

you have also described the southeast but ocean->lake

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
market based solutions baby, heck yeah.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

developers should not exist. i lol'd when i saw their main degree was in economics to extract the maximum amount of profit from destroying land and not anything useful in creating a community.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

500excf type r posted:

This is rural southern new England as well. Destroying all the good irreplaceable farm land to build warehouses and upscale housing developments no one can afford

Oh good so it's not just here. My favorite thing is hearing about too much water and not enough water in the same year because they drained the wetlands that balanced that equilibrium

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Erghh posted:

quote:

"Our property insurance was going sky high," he said of Florida living. "We got tired of being unable to find a place to sit in restaurants."

very weird that these two things were both top of the mind reasons to move away from a whole state

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

500excf type r posted:

all land has been stolen by greedy callous thankless apes and should be immediately returned to its only true heir: trees.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Stereotype posted:

all land has been stolen by greedy callous thankless apes and should be immediately returned to its only true heir: trees.

What about grasses

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The microbes rolling their eyespots & kicking back just waiting for this whole "multicellularity" fad to blow over

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Grass is just lovely trees

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Grass: "ohhhhh I want sunlight but I can't be bothered to invent wood and be taller than like 4ft" gimme a loving break

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

grass and tree are false distinctions learn taxonomy idiots

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

This is Malthusian, how dare you!! Just draw the carrying capacity higher, idiot

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Now these are the kind of graphs I can get behind.

I'm going to enjoy some treats now (coffee).

:coffeepal:

:blessed:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Mar 25, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hubbert posted:

I'm going to enjoy some treats now (coffee).

:coffeepal:

:blessed:

Mm, kawfee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hmm, so if we could eliminate the bottom 90% of the population the top 10% could double their emissions?