Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Nix Panicus posted:

Hamburger nightmares is doing real psychic damage to me right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPd3_nUnKK8

Also applicable to PI thread sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mags posted:

this game should have been so much better. sierra really hosed up.

2 came with a loving book

Also try playing rimworld with mechs off, bugs on, temp max, population min. I usually boost rainfall but whatever. Books are now maybe the second most valuable resource, after food and shelter which are three way tied with things like "literally any kind of cloth."

Maybe turn bugs or ancients or whatever off. Random crash site if you're not a coward.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I hate this.

Also, good news for our future galactic overlords: humanity is going to terraform Earth into a death world, so the remnants can be your elite enforcers for your ten thousand year star empire

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Hubbert posted:

what is the most biosphere collapse video game
I'm partial to Civ 4 after all these years, it contains a somewhat broken Global Warming mechanic

Car Hater posted:

Sim City 2000 with all the disasters happening at once
After some nosing around I was able to get it running on my current machine :peanut:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Soggy Muffin posted:

Civ 6 Gathering Storm with monopolies and apocalypse mode on, disasters set to high

If you play it on the hardest difficulty the AI melts the ice caps by like 1800 or earlier usually. its fun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dokapon Findom posted:

After some nosing around I was able to get it running on my current machine :peanut:

I think you can play it in the browser these days

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://twitter.com/ryankatzrosene/status/1773171167014047928?t=z3sB8ld-NK4KPnCt0AFKDw&s=19

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Microplastics posted:

I think you can play it in the browser these days

Yeah, the lovely dosbox version maybe... :o: the definitive version is the Windows 95 Special Edition

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You've made me want to play it now

Fond memories of being 9 years old and my first ever city being [surname] City and my friends laughing at me for such an unoriginal name

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

So does this mean "just put the loving trees back" because it looks like it means put the trees back

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

2 came with a loving book

Also try playing rimworld with mechs off, bugs on, temp max, population min. I usually boost rainfall but whatever. Books are now maybe the second most valuable resource, after food and shelter which are three way tied with things like "literally any kind of cloth."

Maybe turn bugs or ancients or whatever off. Random crash site if you're not a coward.

i used to build mountain bunker bases in the most inhospitable climates with only psychopaths, and that's the most biosphere collapse thread game. topic locked

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No you have to be absolutely compassionate and leave nobody to die ever or it doesn't count

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that doesn't sound very biosphere collapse thread at all

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In my current run there's no food, we stripped the subarctic rainforest for lumber to burn to power the air conditioners, and the only animals outside are wild cobras and the very occasional guinea pig

It's too hot to grow crops I need to try to throw some sort of... dome... up and hope

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nji30J0lXZI

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

SplitSoul posted:

Please, they're called Americans.

lol

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Sanlav posted:

It's just capitalism. It's only ruining that perfect moment in time you remember. When the money flowed into existing infrastructure before the perverse effects took hold. There'll still be niche games that hit the mark, and private servers running old games that still play great.

But that first boom cycle is like your in your own action movie. The chosen people. Your world gets bigger overnight and it feels like everyone is going to the moon. All your buddies or the content creators in the space are gonna be stars. The master tools created by the artists get scaled up with some success.

But then growth stops at some point, and the capitalism has to cut it's losses.

Dev's, Live Service Support, Artists, Musicians are all albatrosses at some point. Fixed costs that can't be depended on for quarter over quarter revenue like advertising blitzes or having producers repack content into sellable DLC/Music/Skins. Shareholders want to buy back that cheap stock, and find a new unicorn to suck the blood out of and lift it's price back up.

Zodium posted:

good post

Yeah, nothing to add really. I've lived this a couple of times now in different spaces, but the last time is getting to be a while ago.

e: omg I just remembered you could not just dual wield pistols in UT, but also fire them both straight and sideways

RIP Syndrome has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Mar 29, 2024

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

cities skylines in a run where you fill a mountain with poo poo then delete the mountain

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

kater posted:

Cameron barely exists there’s like 400 people in the entire county their hope ain’t gonna help goku.

I live literally 20 miles inland of here currently and the neighbors came over yesterday complaining that their home insurance dropped them completely confused as to why. :iiam:

Hubbert posted:

Also, yes definitely Rimworld

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Hubbert posted:

Everyone in this thread is wrong it is Command and Conquer Tiberian sun. You have a fascist group and neo liberals fighting over Tiberium (oil)during an ecological collapse caused by the Tiberium.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Tiger Crazy posted:

Everyone in this thread is wrong it is Command and Conquer Tiberian sun. You have a fascist group and neo liberals fighting over Tiberium (oil)during an ecological collapse caused by the Tiberium.

we are just making earth more habitable for the scrin lizard people and in that way humanity is just being considerate like a true bro

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Rimworld is post collapse & if you do the insane settings. Usually I play slow at normal speed while doing other stuff at the same time because you can accidentally kill people if you're not periodically checking in on them

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hubbert posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with a mod to jack the mindworms' stats and spawn rate up

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You could manipulate the terrain and sea level in that, right? & there was some weird native forest type that had a chance to form like the possibility of a ring of 8 monoliths

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You could manipulate the terrain and sea level in that, right? & there was some weird native forest type that had a chance to form like the possibility of a ring of 8 monoliths

Yeah, and the more you developed industry the more the local ecology would try to kill you

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You could plant earth trees and kelp for sure, and there was the fungus ofc, but there was also the centauri jungle and I have no fuckin idea how these wild rear end things were really supposed to interact.

I should go back and try to get that thing running again. I remember finding a ring of monoliths and slamming a city into it asap, and how boreholes could cause the planet to flip out. Also crawlers and stuff. Hmm. Moldy rear end game. If I can save these rimworlders I'll look back into it.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Factorio. You constantly expand and kill the natives just for the sake of doing it, all for the benefit of one person.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hubbert posted:

soldier of fortune II with ultra-gore mod, low grav and speed cranked up.

everyone's insane and the blood never stops

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The fungus is the primary native life on Alpha Centuari and all the other species exist to tend to it until it can reach critical mass and achieve planet wide sapience, and then dies off back into somnolescence because the critical mass event kills most other life on the planet destroying the ecology the fungus needs to thrive. Basically the planet wide fungus network becomes intelligent just in time to realize its killed itself and it can't do anything about it, and then everything resets

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Humanity, at least, will not have to suffer repeated cycles of such awareness. Just one and then blissful nothingness.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
nothing lasts forever. cest la vie. it is what it is. if you want to mass produce an omelet, you have to mass extinct all the egg layers

kater
Nov 16, 2010

personally I blame the sun

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
idk if this is just me but as things have gotten very obviously bad, people are switching their take from "climate change isn't real and/or a big deal" to "why are you saying mean things so much, it's a bummer"

not sure where I'm going with this, just something that I notice a lot :shrug: you really can't win with people. The last humans on the last life raft in the last acidified ocean will die arguing about if climate change is real lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Taima posted:

idk if this is just me but as things have gotten very obviously bad, people are switching their take from "climate change isn't real and/or a big deal" to "why are you saying mean things so much, it's a bummer"

not sure where I'm going with this, just something that I notice a lot :shrug: you really can't win with people. The last humans on the last life raft in the last acidified ocean will die arguing about if climate change is real lol

Even if it's an entirely natural cyclical process, the fact that we are doing absolutely nothing to mitigate the effects is incredibly terrifying

Knowledge is a poison but ignorance is a more potent one

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Word. Something that I specifically think about a lot is Hurricane Otis going from a tropical storm to Cat 5 in in roughly 24 hours before directly plowing into Mexico last October.

That is absolutely hosed. You cannot effectively guard against something like that. How do you even conduct hurricane preparedness if this is what the future holds?

:sludgepal:

Taima has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

RIP Syndrome posted:

Yeah, nothing to add really. I've lived this a couple of times now in different spaces, but the last time is getting to be a while ago.

e: omg I just remembered you could not just dual wield pistols in UT, but also fire them both straight and sideways

As a young capitalist i really didn't get punk music. I dated this girl in my early 20's who had spent her teens going to dropkick and rancid shows and couldn't parse it yet when she brought me to a few. I thought it was pretentious rambling, disconnected from my material reality where choices dictate our fates. Definitely missed the boat on Mai, but punk is the haven of anti capitalist history in the end of history.

Having now lived through many of my most beloved spaces get cored out gutted ruined and turned into things i despise, It speaks to me in a prophetic sage way. It's unrestrained noise and grating crescendo's fit the mood.

Don't sell out!

Sanlav has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Mar 29, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Taima posted:

Yes. That's why people in this thread (and other threads) routinely make fun of the whole concept of optimism as most people understand it.

The typical view is that optimism is an innate and positive character trait and not something that is or should be informed by reality. If you are an optimistic person, you think everything will be okay. The more reality pushes back, the harder you retreat into good vibes only territory. The end result is that even trying to describe reality as it exists is a socially damaging position, to the point where it becomes necessary for experts to couch their predictions in optimistic terms to avoid committing professional suicide.

It's useful to understand that this isn't really about climate change at all; it's a fundamental social issue where the status quo is so advantageous to certain groups that false optimism about everything becomes a culture war issue. Anything that involves making genuine changes to society will eventually be expressed in terms of optimism vs. pessimism.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

playing this for free on my phone thanks to having a netflix subscription

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also Fate of the World had scenarios where the goal was literally to become an eco-fascist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
If you can't accept technology as Jesus, there's a certain kind of person who thinks you are hopelessly naive for worrying about anything. Smart people are working on the problem and you should go consume.