Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

someone replace the skull with the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok i gotta get back to work so :effort: i'm done i guess

now we're talking'

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bag em and tag em posted:

Don't be such doomers! If we band together as a society and stop all carbon emissions right now we can still mitigate the worst of the effects of climate change and save our civilization!

*Does not one solitary thing to reduce emissions*

*Approves record number of pipelines*

i think my favorite thing about this particular issue is that it's one of the few times where the better action from a climate perspective is the easiest of the two: you don't approve anything. you literally do nothing

but even then that's just too much of a challenge. if you see this and still believe that anything meaningful is going to be done, futile as it may be at this point, then you're a loving imbecile

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

wtf gently caress you guys I did this months ago

well yeah but yours seems less on fire, and, well, it's been a couple of months since then so we need to update things to reflect new projections

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I lived in a dome when I was a teenager. It was pretty chill. We did keel haul a kid over the roof one time tho.

i guess a pirate ship kind of looks like an upside-down dome if you squint, but i wouldn't go so far as to call the keel a "roof"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Goddammit no no loving Malthusian chat it's page four of the thread omg please

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO MALTHUS

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hey Bernie, we fixed it

this just put the biggest grin on my face. it won't go away. it's starting to hurt. this is probably normal

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if there's any justice in this world, they WON'T be dead, and they'll get to see and experience everything

but it won't happen, they'll all die happy and wealthy

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Lostconfused posted:

That's why I am ambivalent about it, but they'd probably be insulated from the suffering that they are responsible for even if they did live that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCB9yE9Hcc

some of them, mostly the techbro-adjacent crowd, would be willing to make sacrifices to live that long, even if it meant consuming incredible quantities of resources and their existence being more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVCi0PmW24

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
and it basically boils down to this

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Car Hater posted:

The human capacity for denial is just incredible. The fact that anyone still goes to work despite the obvious looming in their face is stunning. It's one of those days where I want to lmao, but I can only sadly lol.

"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
groverdöm

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
known or statistically likely?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

silicone thrills posted:

Oh :( gently caress :( gently caress. gently caress. god drat it

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1440403014565593099?s=20

oh hey i got 500 bucks of hard liquor being delivered later today, how convenient for me because i suddenly feel like drinking

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
doesn't china get a huge portion of its coal from australia? lol if it's in retaliation to the sub thing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
christmas trees should be illegal. the war on christmas must be a total war

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i've played enough fallout to know you gotta be careful with those things. you might get the suck n' gently caress vault, or you might get the plant zombie spores vault, and there's no way to know beforehand. i'll take my chance with the nukes and looters and flooding and ghouls, thank you very much

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
with all the cool side effects of covid i wouldn't be surprised if in a tiny fraction of all cases it makes you immortal

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"quite concerning" you say? well thank god it's only that and not "bad" or anything of the sort!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if you want off, you're not broken enough

work on it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
when the sun blows up and incinerates the earth, that should clean up all microplastics, so it's not like it'll be a problem forever

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Homocow posted:

don't worry, the plastic industry has promised to do something maybe!

https://www.marinelittersolutions.com/about-us/joint-declaration/

lol

i trust them. last time this happened they gave us recycling and that turned out great!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
guess we're gonna have to start hunting elephants for their ivory to make pool balls again instead of using plastics

*sighs and loads 40mm bofors*

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i took exactly one vacation where i flew somewhere as an adult, and it was to go diving in cozumel. the irony of contributing to the destruction of the thing you're going to see by visiting it has never been lost on me and i felt kinda guilty about it for a long time, but now i'm just glad i saw that before it's gone

also i'm past the whole "climate change is your responsibility!" bullshit so that helps too

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hmmm. How about a posting offset thread where you can post to offset the carbon from your other posts?

don't some forums like fyad decrement your post count each time you post? in theory posting there should work

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what if we used lots of fertilizer so they grow faster?

hang on, i'm being told-

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Tekne posted:

lmao the blue and snow crab populations just crashed without warning

interesting that it’s almost concurrent with chud and king salmon disappearing

can’t wait to see what other fisheries go poof

i'm all for chud death, but i'd really like the other species to survive

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh no the garbage bags have returned after going through an elliptical trajectory around the earth who could have seen that coming???

(the garbage bags are a metaphor for carbon)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
holy poo poo how have we not seen this before we've had thermonuclear weapons for most of a century now we could just pile up a shitload of trash around some decamegaton nuke and blow it up

it's perfect

i'm patenting this

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i dropped my thing in the right colored bin what the gently caress more do you want from my you loving gently caress

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Complications posted:

i wonder what radioactive microplastics would do to something that ingested them

we should find out

if nothing else nuclear medicine and imaging people would be happy their job's easier

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

HerraS posted:

trying to colonize different planets in our solar system would be a complete and utter waste of time, orbital colonies are the way to go

our hearts will no longer be held down by gravity!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they're in alberta, a terrible thing in itself

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mark immune posted:

Engineering a microbe to deal with carbon pollution by metabolizing it into plastic emissions.

humans are already turning into plastic; we don't need a microbe to help us do that

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Hexigrammus posted:

Iqaluit, a city of 8,000 in Northern Canada, has had its water supply contaminated with fuel. There's some speculation that the melting permafrost is shifting and breaking buried pipes, allowing contamination to infiltrate. Still the question of where the fuel came from but that far north there's very few ways to deal with fuel spills: a shovel, lighting it on fire, ignoring it, or some combination of the three.

ok so first it's all natives there, so "people" is pushing it. also natives mostly drink liquor, so it doesn't much matter what the water is like. and when they're not drinking they're mostly huffing gas fumes so that's probably where the gas is coming from. more importantly we should figure out if it's hurting the economy or canada's image abroad

look, what i'm saying is, we started this "truth and reconciliation" holiday thing this year precisely so i don't have to give a poo poo about these sorts of things when they pop up in the news anymore so please shut the gently caress up

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shipon posted:

but fomites!!!!!!! we have to sanitize every surface or you'll get it, even wearing masks puts you more at risk because you'll touch your face more

that early period was absolutely idiotic

ah yes the early period of the pandemic, a particular period of idiocy. much like the early period of the Great War (July to December 1914)

hopefully people will stop being machinegunned the moment they pop their head into a public space any day now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
uh the combine had our best interests at heart; they were trying to stamp out superstition like blind optimism and religion, and understood that malthusianism was correct, thus the reproduction inhibition fields

it's not their fault our dipshit scientists breached a random dimension and brought headcrabs and barnacles to earth, thus making most of the planet a hostile hellhole

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RIP Syndrome posted:

I was looking for crab vids and youtube recommended one of a guy stuffing a giant octopus in an industrial shredder. Then I thought some more about crabs, and humans

that was a pretty good simpsons episode, yeah

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
and what a loving curse that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced