Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I do rich peoples gardening, and even the more seemingly humble down to earth ones (who may put out progressive signs/flags and little Buddha statues, or claim they want to be close to nature) own multiple properties, usually with lots of lawn. They pay me to use gas powered weedwackers leafblowers and chainsaws for hours in order to make their property look nice, and then haul the brush and leaves away with diesel trucks. Sometimes they are not at these homes even 50% of the year.

I'd love to bring this thread energy to them (strictly conversationally of course) but I fear I'd lose my job. Why do I do it? Well aside from *gestures at a large easel that reads CAPATALISM*, I like physical work and being in nature. I get to plant and care for all sorts of vegetables, trees, and flowers, and sometimes I get to watch wildlife interact (a half dozen horses lazily herd irritated geese around a paddock, a fox shows off its dance moves and poses for us, a porcupine brazenly and sloppily prunes a tree we were meant to prune).

Plus my bosses are great and have the utmost consideration for us when it comes to our health and personal matters, unlike basically every other job I've had. They know my "politics" and cheekily describe what we do as "micro wealth redistribution". I can work basically every daylight hour 6 days a week for most of the year, and I get to work through the winter shoveling and doing firewood. If that doesn't sound like a good thing to you, consider the ramifications of more time off, less money, an appetite for news and a great thirst and capacity for whiskey.

Anyway I guess this is my confession of complicity in society, but surely we all have one as you can't shitpost living off the grid as an uncompromising naturalist.

Is there any kind of running bets on how long before we see eco-terrorist planeteers summon a wrathful avatar of Gaia to put an immediate halt to our unstoppable trajectory of short sighted greed? *note* you can't speculate or bet if that describes you. Well I guess if you're a wrathful avatar of Gaia you can do whatever you please and I suppose I should kneel before you and appeal for absolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm not sure about cancel culture (1950s communist witch hunts and all that) but it feels like these people need to be shunned hard.
Cancel culture is loving rad and can't hurt you unless you have a platform and monetarily rely on other people viewing, voting for, or buying from you. I'm obviously canceled by at least one poster (see red text) but it's not going to stop me from advocating for Trans rights or acceptance. It's not about me or people liking me. When folks bitch about cancel culture all I see is somebody who thinks they're bold for yelling their opinion at the world, but is a whiney baby when not everybody agrees with or likes them. Bonus hilarity when theyre the toxic masculinity type who call others sheeple.

Not saying thats you.

quote:

At least try to get them to consume their way out of the problem by replacing the gas tools with electric (and lots and lots of batteries). Cleaning up the mess left by climate change storms is so much nicer when you aren't breathing 2 cycle smoke and the new electrics are awesome.

Our (small) company owns our equipment and has been slowly integrating battery powered stuff, but there are obvious logistical difficulties (and my bosses live much more similarily to me than our clients). We are lucky to have a network of local produce, meat, and eggs and frequently "joke" about our survivalist commune after the collapse.

Ultimately another example of the little guy (individuals, laborers, small businesses) being faced with making sacrifices that will not nearly be enough, while staring clear eyed into the machine that ends the world opening its maw ever wider.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Karach posted:

why don't we just cancel climate change then?? deplatformed, it can't hurt us any more.

Cancel everything. Grab all your possessions and jump into a landfill. Throws dirt at passersby. Hiss and bare your teeth at your own reflection.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Karach posted:

just chilling in a hole, squishing passersby between my thumb and forefinger, shouting "canceled!" and getting high-fived by Bean Dad.

I understood (part of) that reference.

I assume bean daddy is a sexual thing and will not be dissuaded from that conclusion.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Lol shut the gently caress up

Yeah just gonna keep advocating for Trans acceptance and indeed existence to people I encounter, as crusty rural white men call me fa slurs under their breath.* Keep telling people they can't be an ally though, as red states put bounties on Trans children and their families. I think you're doing a disservice to this collective cause, but you don't owe me anything and I only mildly want to performatively own you or w/e. Seriously, can you see our trajectory? Target the enemy and be ready to recruit.. My posting rep means nothing to me I sincerely extend you a hug ya goon.

*luckily doesn't occur often where I live or within earshot, am personally a crusty rural white man, and cis to boot but ya probably guessed that

Karach posted:

semi-celebrity John Roderick torpedoed his own podcasting career by being belligerent with his followers on twitter. he was eventually outed as a (mild??) sex pervert. it was some weird twittersphere flashpoint that got way more media attention than it deserved.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/bean-dad

thanks for the beans daddy

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Minera posted:

thank you white cis man for taking the time to make both trans rights and biosphere collapse all about you

I actually exist mostly entirely as me (sorry Omar!) but thanks for sharing your energy with me.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Tungsten posted:

tell us more about your phrenology-level views on (((bodily integrity)))

So we do want to talk about me or what. As a 12 year old I didn't appreciate why some folks can say the nword but others can't. Through discussing and listening and giving a gently caress I overcame that narrow minded take.

I'm still here listening and giving a gently caress (though the challenges and nuances of the struggle of Trans people isn't exactly my main focus, it's climate). The whole point I've been getting at is building coalitions of people who want to fight against the discrimination, exploitation, and cruelty that so many face under our current unsustainable and doomed systems. I asked if having a view like mine was reason to turn away allies (especially with red states putting bounties on Trans kids and separating families) and explicitly stated my support of Trans people and their right to choose their own medical treatments. Even in D&D the result was a reactionary dogpile, so I don't expect anything constructive here in where we delight in flaming dunks. And the Trans sports thread has been through enough.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how I feel about this to anybody but myself and those who know me, but surely you agree that being able to discuss these things is important, and we should strive to identify who is being a hateful troll vs who is interested in sincere discussion. If you're interested in that sincere discussion, PM me or point me at a subforum or thread where it won't be seen as trolling.

Also the dsa green new deal zoom was last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfIEitP8DI4. I know, lol lmao but it helps me at least to see people talking about this in a serious way. Most of my people consider me a doomer (though they're not likely familiar with the term) and it really is frustrating gaslighting just because they won't sincerely engage with the issue.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Cloks posted:

did you have stairs in your house

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

God Hole posted:

i'm willing to bet some of those lone wolf serial murderer-rapist dolphins went crazy because they watched their whole pod die in a fishing net or something. I would also probably get pretty homicidal if there were radar pings and ship engines bouncing sound waves all over loving everything and directly into my earholes at all times as my habitat got more and more inundated with plastic, trash, unrefined oil, and toxic chemicals.

Frame that thought of mankind becoming an objective enemy of.natural balanced life with our increasing rates of mental health crises and general societal failures. We are connected to this world.. We are a marvel and could be nature's most powerful advocate if we correct.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

My father at Easter dinner said both "imagine what would happen without police" and "with what's happening in the world we can't address climate change right now". I have bellowed and roared myself hoarse, my blood is largely bourbon, and the amount of curses damnation and doom I have ascribed to the world as we maintain it may have echoed back in time and in fact brought us to the very course we're on.

Edit mb that

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

What with wind, street noise, fan from the pub kitchen, and my climate-news-follower whiskey and edibles, I was unaware of my surroundings as I phone posted on SA while having a cig outside my apartment. The leaves suddenly sounded different... I heard a faint snuffling. I looked up, momentarily blinded from my phone. Where's the sidewalk?

An adult black bear was at my feet. Directly in front of me, next to me. My "whoah poo poo" sent it off like a cannonball as fast as I could dive back inside. I now remember hearing something in the woods a few nights back and standing at the woodline yelling for it to identify itself (climate-news-follower demands nightly treatment), now I feel guilty for reacting fearfully to the peaceful yet powerful response. Still, bears and humans shouldn't get too comfortable. It's name is Stinkford btw as I reckon its the bear I've watched pillaging the dumpster.

Oh, yesterday as we ate lunch at work a fox walked up to us on the stone wall in the center of town where we feasted. 30' away it came, sat and posed at us. We feared it was rabid until it hopped after some ground birds in a thicket, doing showy fox jumps.

Feeling guilty again for being able to live such a fine life adjacent to nature, knowing what it will cost, and that it will hurt the least complicit most of all (native populations and impoverished masses in addition to the beautiful natural world).

At least Stinkford doesn't know.

I'm in no state to be tactful but my sincerest hugs and strength to parent climate goons. Stay strong for your budding planeteers.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I've had discussions about composting the rich, and horticulturists agree you don't want that in your compost. Much like you don't want bittersweet or japanese knotweed in there, that's what the burn pile is for.

In short food garbage is more wholesome and sustaining than the ruling class.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Wanting to tell people not to use ACs yet aware some places are nearly (and soon entirely) uninhabitable without them.

The dudes from South America on rival landscaping crews always wear full coverage, no matter how much heat humidity or sun.

I think it would empower individuals to be more comfortable without unsustainable comforts, but then I have my own compromises so lol lmao I guess.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Lotus: Sodium Vapor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAqjEVhlZs
Let the credits roll, this is our movie
Turn on the bright lights, let everyone see
Let the credits roll over all of this beauty
Let the credits roll
Let the credits roll

Lotus: Eats the Light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDJWC5ySPA
Paralyzed by my own thoughts
I can't escape the noise
Situation overwrought
Action is destroyed
Superimposed on myself
The ghost in the machine
Connections everywhere, but what is in between

It's on my hands, it's in my head
It's all around, it's everywhere
It's on my screen, it's all I see
It eats the light, it's a machine

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I'm a freak who constantly talks about this stuff (sometimes to the discomfort annoyance or horror of people around me). You know what's helped get a few people on-board the "wow gently caress us our way of life has to end"? Pointing out the obvious tortured "up-shot/reason to hope" at the end of every climate article and interview. It's like a rule in journalism apparently, to have a cheery little delusion at the end of your spiel.

"Well the boat is taking on water faster than we are bailing. The poor were assigned to full bailing shifts, but they are dying too quickly. Many people upship are amassing buckets to make new, smaller ships. Every ounce of water the ship takes on causes it to sink that much faster, and if everybody isn't bailing non stop within 24 hours we will never recover."

"Alarming stuff Jim, but surely there's some good news?"

"Yes. We haven't sank yet. Plus, I've managed to get 6 buckets already. I plan to make a floating Adirondack chair."

"Haha, thanks Jim and enjoy the weekend! Next up, could climate activists be responsible for your rising energy prices?"

The mandatory copium upshot is so blatant even some of my coworkers had to concede that, wow yeah nobody's at the wheel and we aren't gonna stop trashing this world until something stops us or we finish the job.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I think some part of the problem is that even people making the propaganda inside the machine that mulches humanity to make dollars have started to buy their own bullshit a little bit. Consequences have failed to materialize for the excesses of the elite (especially the American elite) so many times that no small number of politicians and businessmen actually, truly believe the prosperity gospel line that wealth is God's way of communicating with humanity. So people who theoretically have some power to sway discourse and are aware that climate change is real and could theoretically negatively impact them drift along because there was never a nuclear exchange in the Cold War, we (mostly) stopped producing CFCs before the ozone tore all the way open and cooked us all, and even now the raging pandemics respond reasonably well to the insanely-expensive treatments mostly limited to the wealthy.

The harsh lesson about not believing in consequences is that it works really well up until it suddenly doesn't. I'm not even going to say it's theoretically impossible to perform some sort of 11th hour save (again, mostly limited to the wealthy), by pouring an obscene amount of resources into surviving some +5C hellworld and decarbonizing with magic tech we don't have yet...but I gotta say the odds don't look good when that outcome has to overcome the Bruiser Brothers of Entropy: Physics, and Capitalism. Things look pretty grim for both humanity and most of the remaining species stuck with us on our magical journey through the cosmos, the ones we haven't killed (yet)

In my experience this attitude is true of most Americans I talk to. Even people disgusted at how the wealthy live aren't interested in giving up anything themselves. That we could be doing so much (somewhat irreversible) damage on a global scale just can't be true. If you push em enough you'll discover its fine if we commit a climate genocide half a world away, because little Timmy should enjoy the good life America promised him.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Asking individuals to sacrifice their lifestyles constantly is incredibly draining and annoying when the factory 20 miles away outputs more CO2 in a week than you could in a year, and the government doesn’t give a poo poo about the factory.

Or the watering restrictions on lawns (I wouldn't say I like lawns, but I digress) and shorter showers for the individual, but the golf course down the road gets to use 200,000,000 gallons of water a year so that some rich old assholes can hit a white ball into a hole in the ground.

Oh I totally agree, from a justice and equity perspective it's hosed. But the message that the problem is all of us (the way we all live) is important to me. Drawing a circle around some group of people and blaming them is everybody's go to, but nobody includes themselves in that circle. As you're aware, meaningful action regarding preserving the climate and biosphere would inherently mean the way of life we currently enjoy (where I live anyway) cannot continue.

Anyway HAVE YOU STARTED YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING YET HOW ABOUT THOSE SUPERBOWL COMMERCIALS

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

At least the graphs are about to flare.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

This thread really helps me be mr christmas party. Folks telling me how thankful I should be and such (actually didn't get much of that this year thankfully).

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Honestly the jump to "and that's why it all needs to collapse" is where I lose people (for obvious reasons), after I've tried to dismiss whatever group or particular thing they try to lay blame upon. Except global capitalism of course :nod:

But plenty of people are at or on the brink of "gently caress this" in a variety of ways. What's interesting is IMO what otherwise holds people back isn't even their personal comfort but more a "this can't have been wrong/we have to preserve our achievements". A noble but ultimately vain worldview. Hubris.

"If everybody thought like you, we'd never have gotten to where we are now!"

-"thank you. You honor me."

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

it's 2023 already, and we're still not bending the extinction curve. The only path for real change left to us is [REDACTED]

But I am not a young man anymore, and I have a wife and children. I leave it to younger/braver people to do the needful

Hell I've met older childless single dudes who are like "you may be right, but I gotta look out for me. If [disruption] happens I could lose my retirement!"

I guess we're all hostages of this in a way, but drat I'd really prefer to hear people be a little less openly selfish. Especially if they go with the "well you drive a car / buy literally anything/ have access to first world material comforts you know, what are YOU doing?!"

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Individuals shouldn’t be accosted for being selfish when the government doesn’t care about the factory down the road dumping more co2 in the air in a week hour than a single person could in a year.

Think you misread my post. This isn't a person who wants the government to disrupt the economy by enacting climate preservation measures for real (it would hurt the markets / weaken the US you see)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Nudging people toward appreciation of nature and disgust with the world we've built and are responsible for, with some levity to offset the self loathing. It's like carbon credits I reckon.

But unironically.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

in australia, the priorities of just about every retiree i know has abruptly switched from "travel the world and build myself a stupid tiny castle" to "avoid residential care at all costs". it's a coup for capitalism, because care is a financial black hole where there's always a more expensive, better option and terrified old people will pour everything they own into it until they die.

I totally agree and have older parents saying stuff like "why go to the doctor to find out I have something I can't afford to deal with it costs money to even talk about it" and also feel the same as my local doctor became part lf a big health company and then retired (he was super old though).

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Are the scary bugs safe? What of the monstrous biological pain tank larvael dobsonfly?

Trippinn n fishin at night once and that thing freaked the hell out of me somehow. It's even got hell in the name! Hellgrammite! (Your spelling may vary)

I just like to think they're still out there, freaking out kids or even pinching their fingers to then be used as bait.

Also lol that afair the males pincers (as dobsonflies) get so big they are basically like sex decorations, while the female retains use of hers. I did not look this up feel free to correct me.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Climate Crisis OOPS All Capital!

Have you considered the economy I mean do you know how many jobs are at stake I see you have a cell phone

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

But is the biosphere a sandwich?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

What's sadder and more infuriating than the grim topic we discuss here is the various in person responses from people out there, denial and coping and insanity.

"This has happened before"

"We always innovate and build it'll be fine"

"Your life seems good you should be grateful"

"Illuminati/God/aliens won't let that happen"

Or just flat out "you're wrong it's not that bad in fact it's getting better because [x]"

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it's been weirdly contentious for me

Anecdotally, Climate Change used to come up pretty irregularly in social settings. Maybe when Obama signed the Paris Accords or something every so often. I'd run into the usual mix of people who are defensive or clueless but now due to a constant stream of disaster, bad weather and noticeable impacts on people's daily lives that weren't there before a lot of people are fuckin mad ...at the person who talks about climate change.

I gave up talking about it entirely because now several people go research weird flat earth tier misunderstandings of science and proudly call me out like it's some kind of rap battle.

"If plymouth rock was where pilgrims landed 400 years ago, why isn't it below the waves? The sea is rising right? :smug:"
"Well they broke the rock several times for souvenirs and moved it twice so I don't really think that's an indication of anything. "
"Then what happened to Florida being under water? huh? Al Gore said it would sink beneath the waves in 2012. I thought the water was rising."
"Uhhhh it's definitely rising? The original timeline was 2100 and we are beating that in speed and frequency."

It's developed into this weirdly regressive set of people who weren't necessarily republicans before this. A liberal geologist I know is sharing facebook memes about greta thunberg forcing people to stop using gas stoves to control them and it isn't ironic.

Wow that's the third time I've heard geologist associated with climate stupidity, had a dude from the "actually its getting better you're wrong" camp smugly quote a geologist as his source. Like blatantly "what do you know, a geologist told me we're fine". Think I know a geologist from back in school gotta ask her why that seems to to a thing.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Wish people were more usocial, I'm an outsider counterculture stereotype but I'd latch onto a wasp and flap my bee wings are hard as possible to protect a colony I believed in.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Stereotype posted:

the important thing to remember is that we need a large systemic solution and that any small individual solution is pointless and can be ignored. that way there isn't any specific project that is bad. oh you want to bulldoze a bunch of forests and build a parking lot there? sounds fine. we need a systemic solution to us destroying the environment after all.

Market based solutions that allow people to dismiss the peril looming over everything we know, in service of short sighted greed. Nobody's fault, nobody's problem!

"Smart people are working hard to solve this you know and I see you have a cell phone so maybe you're not as committed as you pretend to be!"

Hmm excellent good point, so you're saying you want to be part of me getting committed for real huh sounds rad should I wear your skin like a suit and wear it while I dance around the carefully constructed bone cairn I make of your remains?

What do you mean you're cutting me off?!?!? It's a pun get it?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m642MXtT3zo

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

every time I read this thread I’m reminded why I don’t read it much. I can’t deal with it and there’s nothing anyone can do and it’s probably better just to close the thread because we’re big time hosed.

This is a really helpful place if your life is largely full of people who practice gaslighting toxic positivity or straight up selfish complicity in the face of preserving honoring, ya know, life as we know it.

(Do not take biosphere thread if you cannot embrace nothing matters. Anxiety, self-loathing, and "being a downer" may occur. Talk to your mod if you experience excessive lol.lmao!)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Changed my climate/biosphere analogy recently. We were a trait hurtling towards a cliff, we were going to lose some cars but we could still hit the brakes.

Now we're a train hurtling towards a cliff and we don't have brakes, and even if we slow down the weight of the cars going over will pull this whole operation down anyway.

Is that about right? For the purposes of explaining "lol.lmao" to those who find it unseemly.

Again this is an analogy I share with the uninitiated.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Most people in my circle understand that climate change is happening, governments aren’t/won’t do poo poo about it until it’s too late, and it’s already too late.

They also understand that science won’t save us and individuals being asked to not water their lawns or to ride a bike won’t do anything to reduce the overall amount of CO2 compared to a single factory dumping shitloads of CO2 into the air.

We are hosed and there is nothing we as individuals can do to fix the problem, and those in power are going to kill us all.

Started to write a response to this with some grit or w/e and... oof :(

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Its a bio-bulb. It's had a big *year, but it's time to die back and chill for awhile.

*Thousand(s)? Millions?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Highly funded tech startup develops a massive "microplastic magnet", touted and praised by all media outlets (finally we can... keep doing what we've been doing!)

A crazed scientist activates it - "SHARE YOUR MICROPLASTICS WITH ME" - turning every living thing but himself within several miles into a fine red mist.

He admires the gigantic sphere of plastic.

His radio crackles "CAST IT INTO THE SUN, DOCTOR!"

He slowly smirks, isildur-ishly. "....No"

Katamari damacy origin movie.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Stereotype posted:

. chaos reigns.

Almost certainly an improvement compared to earnestly building a machine to shepard us and the rest of the world as we know it it into annihilation.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I stopped reading this thread for awhile because I didn't want anymore ammo.

I just caught up over the past day or two and I guess it was always still there... its drumbeat echoing in my heart.

Lol
Lol
Lol
LMAO

Yet I still draw breath(?!?!?!?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Along as we get to ASSEMBLE and then punch something in the dick.