Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i voted against dinoflagellate toxins :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

petit choux posted:

The dead spots will start growing and spreading in the oceans. It's going to smell bad too, BTW.
*laughs in covid*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve been listening to a lot of the Fall Of Civilisations podcast and there’s so many striking parallels between every society he talks about and our own, and there’s very often a climate shift as a key stressor that topples the whole thing.

Really makes you grateful to have been born at the end of history under the caring embrace of capitalism so we don’t have to worry about stuff like that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sitchensis posted:

Does anyone have that French sociological essay about how we must ensure that we disgrace and discredit every part of our culture for the sake of future generations?
phew at least that part is already taken care of

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

yea and I’ve got a ten-year plan to get clean of heroin, I swear I mean it this time, I promise!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

vote!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

actionjackson posted:

I'm so loving tired of people at work having kids and we have to pretend to be insanely happy for them instead of just screaming
you should buy them a card. get one of the ones that plays a jingly tune one time before it gets thrown away

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

not true, I can also smoke weed and joker laugh

ergo things aren’t that bad, yet

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

so the gloves at mc donalds are just raining chems all over the food
im lovin it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IAMKOREA posted:

+12 and -20 are the same colour?
climate horseshoe theory

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

north american suburbia is the greatest misallocation of irreplaceable resources in human history and will be nearly impossible to fix l o l
I remember when I used to think Kunstler was a little bit too doomery to really take seriously but pretty much everything in the Long Emergency turned out to be loving spot on

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

porfiria posted:

Hmm, I'd say he's a bit too optimistic, in some sense
ugh well now I don’t feel bad that he seems to have fallen off the radar

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

oh thank goodness. this is actually a huge relief because the economy of my country is built around market-based solutions and they could also potentially make me a lot of money. so this is pretty ideal. great news, i’m going to go tell my friends :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IMO the worst part about having a vasectomy was that a time traveller from the future did not in fact appear at the last second to beg me to reconsider because my unborn child would someday save the world.

The doctor did tell me that I did a very good job shaving my balls though :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

i've cared about this topic for a very long time and let me tell you

you should never stop caring
sorry but apathy is the only psychological defence I have left

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Egg Moron posted:

It's bad rear end how hosed we are

Like, turbofucked

That chart about the amount of carbon the top 1% of the US produces is just lol. makes no sense why the rest of the world doesn't band together to destroy the United states to save their own rear end

Seems like the thing preventing that is the global class solidarity of the wealthy

Lol
Yeah I keep hearing about these COP26 pledges to halt deforestation by 2030 and it’s like the rate all this poo poo is accelerating the only reason it’ll halt in 2030 is because we’ll have finished cutting it all down by then

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Homocow posted:

I wonder if there will be any cool cults in the future or if they'll all be banal and lovely
they’ll all be offshoots of the dumbest gimmick subreddits

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alobar posted:

so...it begins....
if her name isn’t Gaia i’m going to have a massive sulk

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kater posted:

and the answer is to make a more electric military?
im already excited for electric tanks that make a fake engine noise for safety reasons

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

If the language makes it into the final text, it will be the first time a Conference of the Parties climate agreement makes any mention of the role of coal, oil and gas, the biggest contributors to the human-made climate crisis.
hahahahaa jesus christ gently caress me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Norton posted:

my buddy just sent me this message from his work:

Reminder: Large internal meetings (≥ 10 people) should start with a Climate Moment. Visit the Climate Moment iPortal page for the presentation template, climate moment examples, guidance & ideas. Have or seen a great Climate Moment? Share it with your colleagues here.
they probably don't mean "Climate Moment" == "absolutely horrific crack ping factoid" but this is definitely how I would choose to interpret it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol how did they even manage that? did twice as many people attend :confused:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

drat, looks like 2024 will be the most important election of our lives

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

if I walked away from that with minor injuries I would 100% believe I was immortal, wtf

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so how long until we're finally done cutting down that whole thing and we finally stop getting those stale headlines every other month? i want some fresh content
I am assured that deforestation will be fully halted by 2030

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mayor Dave posted:

These people are going to continue 'baking' reality and getting increasingly violent and we really don't have a way to stop it.
but enough about the capitalists

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are a few rare good posts in the D&D climate thread and one of them was in our lifetimes we'll see a movement that believes arctic sea ice was always fake
lol that was me and I have since given up on posting in the D&D thread

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ornery and Hornery posted:

is there a super straightforward, baby level data dashboard?

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.
draw a line that goes more or less straight across and then suddenly shoots almost straight up, and another that does the same except it shoots nearly straight down

label the down line something like ‘trees’ and the up line ‘plastic food’ and you’ve basically got it

if you wait a day or two somebody will post a version of your chart based on actual data but the only difference will be that your version is more optimistic

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've switched to "clean rice" which is just as dirty but is better PR
I advise you to skip the bright green rice 🤢

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1462902814900817922

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:dong:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Horizon Burning posted:

the autism one is the one that always gets me because people tend to say things like 'oh, we're just better at detecting it these days' but it's so absurdly not the case if you work in education. there was this school i worked at where, a few decades ago, they had a sheet of exactly four kids posted in the staff room for the kids who have severe issues like autism etc. nowadays, there's like 3-4 in every year level if not more. teachers are increasingly trained to handle kids with issues like that and it's not an 'if you ever...' measure but a 'you will need this' measure. i feel like the idea that just better detection is accounting for the increasing prevalence is just cope.

as apocalyptic as climate change is, i feel like microplastic stuff is way worse.
my new climate denial strat is to apply this argument to everything else

microplastics in meconium? we're just better at detecting it these days
areas of Miami regularly underwater? we're just better at detecting it these days
historic atmospheric river events washing away large parts of British Columbia? we're just better at detecting it these days

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alobar posted:

the children of the mods will ban them for posting about it
Children Of Mods is my favourite C-SPAM film

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

from a pure logic point of view it would make more sense that it’s just me that’s gone insane vs the entire planet

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

yea back when I did a lot more drugs it was alarming how many of my friends didn’t know that antidepressants + MDMA could make it either a) not work or b) kill you

then we would get high and I would go into an extremely long-winded explanation of the neuropharmacology of drugs and they would regret ever asking lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol right now my partner is working on some packaging for laundry tablets

the packaging is green and implores the customer to “WASH COLDER” to reduce CO2 emissions

the scale of the disconnect between where we are and what we need to do is itself giving me the crack pings this morning

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Counterpoint: the time travellers have already been here, they took out everybody involved in American colonisation of space after Apollo 11 to ensure the human catastrophe is contained on Earth

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

No government's going to issue suicide pills. You'll suffer until the day you die
yea this is always the least realistic part to me. it’ll be forced labour and the knowledge that if you off yourself they’ll kill your family as well

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I saw that. There has to be a "chicken switch," so I wonder how soon until you get Twitch/YouTube daredevils who go through the motions just to see if they can cheat the reaper and bail out of the suicide box before they pass out, while getting a :catdrugs: high in the process.
if I die during my Twitch Plays Suicide Booth stream is it suicide or murder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Biosphere Collapse: it is (again) the official thread stance that you should not kill yourself
well yea I think we agreed the best way is to get twitch to do it for you