Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
ground floor? bomb some more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i'm still 4.3k posts behind in the last thread what'd i miss

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

blatman posted:

hello new thread

please enjoy this happy upbeat song on this blessed day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGKc3T7OVHE

this is my anthem on tinder

goth chicks rule

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Caseman posted:

Hi I was never in the old thread but I hear things are fine and the billionaires will save us all with carbon-capture apps

my grad school dissertation was to study the potential use of heavy ion precursors to break down co2 via radiolysis

and it worked

uh

great. like really well. not at all a null result, CCS is back on the menu and will definitely work! we're saved, you're all welcome

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Caseman posted:

Something like this? I don't understand any of that at all, but nothing in that seems to say "and then a bunch of people make a lot of money" so. Scifi speculation from the Star Trek universe.

hey cool i knew one of these people

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I suspect satoshi probably ate a gun once he realized what he'd done

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

it is a good bet

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

StratGoatCom posted:

TL;DR: lab grown meat industrial civilization is impossible to scalemaintain.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I think millions of LEO bombs made to disperse mylar would be the best solar shield we could hope for, with the added benefit of trapping us all down here

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hubbert posted:

imagine having to cope with the complex collapse of industrial civilization and the creation of a new and polluted geological era without smoking weed at all

i will not :colbert:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

then a miracle happens and the computer unlocks god powers

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i mean

rapid degrowth is coming no matter what

sooo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

NIHILON will accept all into its never-ending cold embrace

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

Idea i just had: ... Any thoughts?

It don't matter

Nonadis matters

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ughhhh posted:

im surprised it hasnt shown up in this thread before.

im surprised you thought it was a good idea to post

y did u post it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

limey pigs shooting dead an honest to god mythological icon is just too on the nose

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Car Hater posted:

The long descent was a concept from the days before the abruptness of historical climate change and extinction events was understood, I don't think it really holds valid anymore.

look at this optimist

the sad fact is this poo poo is going to crawl along on momentum for the rest of our lives, kicking and screaming into the grave even as it all burns down around it. everything will take forever to bleed out, every horrific climate event and horrors of all kinds will be totally normalized... everything except questioning the sanctity of the security state, and its sovereignty of violence

that will be sacrosanct, and the libs will line up to suck pig dick even as the fires rise around them

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

rabble rabble posted:

I think even though I know we're not going to do anything about it, and I've known for my whole life we're not going to do anything about it, it's really another thing entirely to actually see it happening and sure enough, no one's going to do anything about it.

Sure enough, sure enough.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately... that Steinbeck quote about banks being built by men, but no longer controlled by them.

As people we often feel apart from nature in a way that is, I think, totally artificial. We can imagine all the extinct charismatic megafauna that came before, which met their own natural end of one kind or another, and see a version of their story that makes sense to us...

But it's very difficult to see ourselves as a species subject to natural forces that, regardless of our role in unleashing them, have grown beyond our control. That the rise of industrial civilization itself seems an inevitability, and would in turn inevitably lead to our own ruin and potential extinction, is hard to wrap our heads around.

With all our sapience and logical reasoning, symbolic representation of thought, philosophy, introspection and technological gizmos we are still just a species that arose on earth and became subject to externalities beyond our reasoning or control.

The only really big accident is that a fraction of our species was aware of it well ahead of time

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Car Hater posted:

The crop failures have started.
The permafrost methane off gassing has started.
The self-perpetuating wildfires have started.
The algae blooms have started.
Covid is training like Goku.
The supply chain is going to poo poo.
I'm going to touch the president's hairy leg in the pool.
Lol.
Lmao.

Don't get me wrong man, I crave the catharsis of sudden, abrupt collapse over continuing to go to work in this decaying hell world we've built for ourselves... but it's still going to be decades of this horrid poo poo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It won't be decades. The current global trends towards hyper-nationalism will see to that.

You don't think the hyper-nationalism turned hyper-fascism will do every horrible thing possible in its power to prolong some semblance of the lifestyle the imperial core has afforded them thus far?

This is not a callout directed at you or any individual in the thread, but I wanted to comment on a more pervasive phenomenon I've noticed picking up steam recently, concurrent with the accelerating extreme weather events and general breakdown.

I'm still workshopping it but for now call it 'sudden collapse optimism', the bizarrely comforting idea that the forces that have both perpetrated and denied the ecological cataclysm will suddenly be subject to the very forces they have unleashed. It's a much harder pill to swallow that they'll do everything they can to keep the party going a little bit longer (insert whatever atrocities your imagination can summon) and their political base of support will swell and grow as they continue to, quite successfully, project blame on outsiders and The Other.

Most of the posters ITT have reached some level of acceptance about the ecological predicament as it stands, and a sudden collapse of The State in the face of that is an odd, and I would argue, idealistic offshoot of that awareness.

The idea that the brutalism of capital will expand exponentially in the face of this crisis and is likely outlast all of us is another step down the crack-ping steps to hell that is hard to accept.

We will live to see manmade horrors beyond our comprehension.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

unironic thirst mutilator:black101: product as a means to combat pollution sure is something

Rime posted:

IMO, the hyper-nationalist fascism stage of this decline will be shockingly brief, because these institutions are inherently subject to physical systemic pressures so far out of their control (and possibly comprehension) that they will be unable to muster the control over circumstance necessary to maintain control over territory.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do hope you're right about the above.

I still dread what state institutions, wounded and cornered meta-organisms that they are, will do in their death throes

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

God Hole posted:

me, an urban planning master's student

i've got an urban master plan for ya

*gyrates skull codpiece @ u*

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Rime posted:

To hear the owl call your name is the harbinger of death, to the Kwakwaka'wakw, but what when there are no owls left to call? What then?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hope is a mistake. Obliterate it from your vocab

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

In the world I see - you are stalking landcrabs through the damp mushroom forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear sharkskin wetsuits that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick mycelium tendrils that wrap the Willis Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny squid pounding kelp, laying strips of grub meat on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Pft. More optimism masquerading as nihilism.

The hypercane cares not for hopes, it simply shall be.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Shiva's forms are myriad, Her wrath empowered by our bacchanalia, Her embrace is inevitable

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

D'oh!

Pretend I said that

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This sounds pretty optimistic

I figured it would be a few dregs of humanity licking cave walls for moisture and lichen because outside they have to battle starving acid squids that realized easy human prey stumbles around on the shores looking for food.

It's octopus people doing this

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Blockade posted:

So the phosphate business shutting down is fine right

Seem to recall this being important for some reason

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/2021/09/28/china-halts-phosphate-exports-fertilizer-prices-expected-soar/5907300001/

It's probably fine

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

If they manage to land it that's pretty interesting. If it blows the gently caress up that's exciting too

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mediaphage posted:

i sort of wonder whether we’ll see mandates for

let me just stop you right there

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

is there even any realistic way to clean up all the microplastics? like put the climate collapse aside for a moment, the only way you'd be able to get everything that needed to be gotten would be plastic-eating bacteria I guess

nano 👏 bots 👏

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Xeom posted:

those are called genetically modified bacteria.

for immediate release,

we regret to inform you our GMB-alpha PLASTC-B-GON™ strain may, in a small number of cases, misidentify some substances as unwanted micro-plastics which can include, but is not limited to:

• medical plastics
  • airplane plastics
    and/or
  • living tissues

we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience as we work to quickly distribute a genome hotfix

sincerely,

your friends at Astrazen-Monstantotech

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Introducing chlorophyll+, guaranteed to keep chugging away even in the new, lower intensity sunlight afforded to us by the sulfur+ cloudtech

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

some old dusty tome posted:

They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man. 6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

just a lil thermonuclear exchange

as a treat

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

well based on the list, looks like ecologi is the cheapest, starting at $10.50 a month!

https://ecologi.com/

and you help employ people in the 3rd world planting trees!

A---An App? To plant trees? To eliminate my footprint, through my phone, for just :10bux:!?!

Yes

...May I see the trees?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Rime posted:

The ocean has been absorbing the energy equivalent of a 300kt nuclear bomb every second for the past three to four decades. :science:

Hm.

The ocean is very big, but still... it seems like you couldn't do that for very long before it caused... problems