Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's a 2.5 hours soliloquy about learning to love the bomb dome destruction of the earth and humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah there's some good jabs in there

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is literally the two skeletons walk into a bar bit. Literally the joke became real. gently caress.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long until climate change activists start self immolating like buddhist monks? can't wait for shitlords to start making fun of them for that because even though i expect it in my lifetime it's still gonna be a crack ping for me.

Already happened,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Buckel

there was also Arnav Gupta and a bunch of others that have their reasons listed as "unknown." I heard about Gupta but couldn't remember the name so wiki to the rescue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_self-immolations

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lmao

lol

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Sep 23, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
these had to have been posted but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAlQvDQGoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCTJ76ctPY

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when i die i hope there are still bugs which can feed upon my carcass, and -- and this is pushing it, but -- maybe a family of chipmunks will make a safe home within my cranium

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mawarannahr posted:

there also seems to be an underlying assumption that their genes are superior and that filtering them out will only increase the gap between their child and nonwhites. not sure if that’s gonna hold up.

It's intrinsically stupid because if your kid also does this you're setting up khan to have 0% of your crap bag genes anyway. A better gene will eventually be found for every gene you passed on.

Which doesn't matter, but these people are apparently trying to cement inequality in a future world which doesn't even contain residual traces of themselves, except their ideology.

Simultaneously supremacist and also destroying the race.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The tsunami would hit a ton of other places beyond USA, that kinda sucks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cant catch on fire if there's no oxygen

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
perhaps hyperfascism is just fash ⏩

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
vote for me. Supported by the FashForward party, the progressive, nice fascism you love, with a hard core for the hard liners.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shipon posted:

there's something about this story in particular that's just uniquely infuriating, too bad that antifa goon got arrested a few days ago so we all have to behave nicely in posts

It rapidly changes from inciting violence to meta incitation

I'm not SAYING anything I'm just pointing out certain things COULD be said that could have a certain character to them or have a specific kind of effect if acted upon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

isopods can live in a 1 gallon jug and they are about 1cm long. a rich person is about 170cm long so they will require at least a 170 gallon jug to survive

such a jug can be obtained for $525.38
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=29845

Actually isopods need 1³ gallons, so captains of industry would need 170³, or 5 million gallons: a dome.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Peering at my rich people terrarium, tapping the plastic panels to see them run

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stereotype posted:

it was pretty fun to learn that those giant solar towers in the desert of nevada are actually just natural gas plants that are lightly amplified by solar for a small part of the day. also that all the mirrors break constantly and are all from fossil fuels and mining and also the shade kills any desert plants that hold the soil together even a little and so you end up with huge barren dust bowls when the thing eventually irreparably breaks in 20 years away.

iirc the spanish have gotten around this by using molten salt, where it gets so fuckin rip roarin hot that it melts blocks of salt and they use that to power turbines. The salt takes a while to get melted, like a whole day or something, but once it's all liquid it stays liquid and the plant produces power even if the mirrors aren't working at full capacity, and it keeps producing power at night. You need a fuckload of mirrors though and every little misalignment adds up.

Ofc instead of doing that you could just use gas burners to keep the salt liquid.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stereotype posted:

yeah this is what the american ones do too, but a critical component of keeping that salt molten is natural gas.

another poster mentioned that it isn't just an additional component like i had dismissively stated, it ends up being a significant fraction and produces 300% the electricity of a pure natural gas plant per volume of natural gas burned. you're still building a ton of mirrors to get that benefit, and believe it or not there isn't such thing as "empty consequence free space." not a serious solution

Rip, I had assumed the decently built ones at least didn't need gas in normal operation

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i was shoveling snow and a mosquito came out. It's so loving warm there's already mosquitos in February. I have to shovel this poo poo because even though there's meltoff lakes forming everywhere and flooding the streets it's supposed to drop down to subzero again and freeze into a glacier that'll prob take until august to melt.

Malaria'll be coming back bigly, i bet. All this runoff is absolutely insanely polluted too, it reeks.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

September, 2021. A white (leucistic) stag was gunned down in Merseyside.

The pagans have made the most noise cause I guess Christians forgot the white stag is a symbol of Jesus.
Edit: Only for Catholics I think.

extraordinarily cursed af, UK is surely doomed. That whole "Lifeboat Britian" or whatever that insane climate change political policy is called -- it's going to doom them to sink into the sea.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait a minute who said 20m cause I had heard that too, from somewhere or other

Like that's borderline getting the coast to DC at that point isn't it? V disappointed that it wouldn't fall off Antarctica with such speed that it ramps over the Andes and lands on the white house front lawn

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No that's when you become ultrasane: sane from all reference frames simultaneously

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i say swears online posted:

lmao my roommate gets mad at light bulbs left on but god help you if you touch his wintertime heat at 71 so he can wear shorts

My Dad's like this but to the point where he gets very angry if you're in a room and have more than 1 light bulb on. I offered to pay for a year of lightbulb in cash on the spot and he didn't take it well.

Also he's purposefully misconfigured his furnace in an extremely dangerous and wasteful way because it "saves money" to put extreme amounts of heat through some ducts and nothing through others. Because of this the heat doesn't get evenly distributed and some rooms' ducts are so hot they can catch plastic on fire. If it gets cold enough outside the furnace has to run continually at all times until it overheats and the thermal security breaker cuts power.

He knows exactly why this happens and somehow also insists that modern furnaces need "rebooted" cause they're junk. HVAC pros have told him not to do this. He's relying on a security feature for normal operation. If that part fails the furnace will burn the house down trying to keep it at the designated temperature. When he "reboots" it he's just clearing the fault state and not even waiting for it to return to safe temp.

There's no insulation in the house because installing it could damage the vinyl siding.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah probably whatever i'm pretty checked out tbh. Pretty sure my parents aren't interfacing with the same reality as the rest of us.

I was like "dad the hvac guy said everything will work fine if you just make sure to keep all the vents open all the time. These new furnaces are not like the one we used to have when you guys first got the house."
"I don't believe it."

uh, alright ok? where do you go from that? I've tried to talk about it a few times and he believes that now adays you just need to buy a new furnace system every ten years cause it's something he saw on a commercial.

They do this poo poo about everything and they act like it's 1980 still. Absolute lead brain plastic soul lifeforms. He'll not only be less comfortable, but he'll pay more money, and risk losing everything he has, just to be correct about one stupid thing. It's extremely upsetting and they've done other poo poo that's straight up dangerous, and still refuse to believe anything, so i just checked out.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This country is full of millions of people like this. Tens of millions. What are we to do?

check out and die. There's no longer enough time to erode their calcified opinions and unfortunately ocean acidification doesn't work on hyperbolically hypersmooth infinite crystal wisdom brains. Those brains will be permanently destroyed by even one crack, much less an entire ping. There's a level beyond brainworms. You'd have to just ignore them and move on with the plan somehow. Even without them there's already no effective plan and it's impossible to enforce any new plan which might be formed.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's existentially offensive to me that in the winter when it's below freezing, I heat my entire home, and then I take a box in my home and cool it back down to below freezing.

there are some thermal storage systems that just save that heat for later and use it to warm the house. Basically air conditioning except instead of dumping the heat into atmosphere it stores it underground until you need it again.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
idk in more helpful terms i guess my parents have some kind of authority complex.

everything is zero sum. everything.
there's a rigid ontology.

I can't be right about the furnace because as the Child, I am lower than the Parent and this is enough to just be wrong in and of itself. Only a recognized authority in the matter can be correct.

The problem is each part of this system reinforces the others. If there's only so much to go around there have to be winners and losers which means there has to be a strict hierarchy or else the whole thing would be a free for all. If there's a hierarchy you can't have people swapping between rungs and left and right between categories. You can't have trans people for example, this weakens the hierarchy if people can swap categories. Everything has to be essentialized and cemented into place or the hierarchy will be threatened and this can't be allowed because then your personal place in the chain of being will be threatened and this isn't tolerable because there's only so much to go around. There's only so much respect or money or food or love and everything is zero sum and losing position means losing all those things.

There's any number of entry points into this worldview and once you go in it locks you in by mutually reinforcing other damaging beliefs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There's some kinda led where it fails in this exact way very quickly. Backlights turn to blacklights on some screens, poo poo like that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cup Runneth Over posted:

But the actual HVAC technicians are also wrong and not recognized as authorities. The only authority people like that recognize is themselves.

Not true. When a trans person won jeopardy things were restructured to accommodate, and all of their own personal history of being hideous assholes about it was perfectly redacted.

Despite being rigid it can't be too brittle, it has to be possible to make some changes. These changes have to have always been in effect like some reverse causality. If it were fully inert and impossible to rise or fall it wouldn't be emotionally useful to believe in cause you'd be locked in. If it were too loose it would be a free for all which is emotionally dangerous cause any bullshit could dislodge you -- not useful to believe.

Being the hvac guy is lower on the chain because it's not prestigious enough. White collar is higher than blue, even if this person clearly has genuine expertise. Money helps, but it has to be big money, or the styleand image of big money. Because zero sum if someone has big money they are pretty high up the ladder. Prestige is also zero sum and not having it means lower rank.

No part of any of this is ever reflected upon, it's all off the cuff.

I'd add a third axiom where all this is sorta rarified by the opinions of recognized authorities or peers.

Another thing that comes out of this is you're allowed to kick people lower than you but punching up is forbidden cause it could destabilize the belief system. This facilitates moving up and helps prevent you from backsliding, so it's useful.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lost Time posted:

slightly fixed

skooma512 posted:

https://twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/1490815516881010690?s=20&t=ugaD_XAlXv0OgcMXUuiruQ

You know, just normal February weather. Also barely any rain last month and probably the same this one too, these are supposed to be the wettest months of the year.

Time to fry

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

rabble rabble posted:

The night passed. Only the very brightest stars were visible, blurs swimming overhead. A moonless night. Satellites passing overhead, east to west, west to east, even once north to south. People were watching, they knew what was happening. They knew but they didn’t act. Couldn’t act. Didn’t act. Nothing to do, nothing to say. Many years passed for Frank that night. When the sky lightened, at first to a gray that looked like clouds, but then was revealed to be only a clear and empty sky, he stirred. His fingertips were all pruney. He had been poached, slow-boiled, he was a cooked thing. It was hard to raise his head even an inch. Possibly he would drown here. The thought caused him to exert himself. He dug his elbows in, raised himself up. His limbs were like cooked spaghetti draping his bones, but his bones moved of their own accord. He sat up. The air was still hotter than the water. He watched sunlight strike the tops of the trees on the other side of the lake; it looked like they were bursting into flame. Balancing his head carefully on his spine, he surveyed the scene. Everyone was dead.

"One of BARACK OBAMA'S favorite books"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I've noticed that plastics all look alike. Take some clear packing tape and twist it in the sunlight. Slowly spin a plastic container until the cold room lighting splits into colors. The same sickly rainbow pops out of all of them, dominated by violet and greenish yellow. Oil slicks everywhere I look. I feel as if I need to stare at a piece of glass afterward to remember color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WktVJHEFEbk

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I blame simcity for this. Only the nuclear power plants have cooling towers. For a long while as a kid I assumed they were somehow intrinsic to nuclear power.

Well that and Simpsons

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i have bridged the two theads and posit we can simply export all the gigatons of excess carbon to the moon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s basically proof that our society is still being run by the guys who get their secretaries to print out their emails

Well yeah I didn't read past looking at the embed but some publishers are just in a holding pattern of everything's on hold, can't be printed. One day it's not gonna come off hold.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Big tree talk:

The eastern half of North America also used to have enormous trees in the form of chestnuts which are now nearly extinct. At one point they helped feed a major chunk of people who lived even slightly close to the forests. Roasted chestnuts were free for the taking and lasted well even for a year.

A very small number of them are naturally resistant to the permanent blight conditions introduced by humans, or were remote enough to avoid exposure. There's a project to selectively breed a stable population that will send you seeds if you want to help, and iirc two other projects to attempt to genetically modify them with genes from other species.

Most likely they're gonna die with all the other charismatic species of the earth. It's due to a quirk of their biology they weren't gone already.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Get 7zip or pay the goddamn money, hasn't rar done enough over the years

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Corals are deceptively easy to care for its a good hobby if you can afford to run a salt water tank

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No I mean go online and buy a dime sized piece of coral for $20 and put it in a fish tank and look at it while it slowly grows.

It's like if you were growing alien plants that need a life support system, it'll prime you for trying to keep dandelions alive in the dome time

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Keeping one oz of cnidarians alive in a bucket is not the same as one billion tons in the middle of the ocean come on

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Where does that coral come from lol

The Oldest Man posted:

It's probably cultured but coral is one of those things where either there's going to be a lot of it or none of it and that switch is going to get flipped pretty quickly.

this, the best and sometimes cheapest are the ones pruned off some other person's colony.

i'd say more like it's a soft on/off with wild corals, they've been dying back for a while now, but when the slow mo switch clicks in imo the rest will all die basically instantly. Both coral reefs and kelp forests have been able to establish in weird deep water refugia that will surely be wiped out when the currents shift.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I found myself unable to give a crap and closed the tab within 80 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

you did this
start posting good poo poo