Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i banged some pots and pans together to honor their service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

My grandfather was born in Oct. 1918, and he died in 2008 in early summer. If you're a having a baby at this point in time, like my best friend is doing at the moment, their natural life span can take them into the next century and through whatever date you want to kick the can at.

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

don't worry capitalism has already solved this

don't worry, it wont work at all. poor people are gonna be forced do it with little dusters

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

The domes we eventually get forced into will not look like that

yeah those are rich people domes. poor people domes are gonna be much worse, if they get domes at all

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

see? humanity will have a lasting impact

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there's clearly no hope to fix anything. the equilibrium will be reached when enough people die and enough of industrial society collapses that there is no net increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. there is no other significant force that will cause a decrease in the amount of CO2 created. it's also an underdamped system, so you'll get huge excursions from that eventual equilibrium as well. it is possible that equilibrium is at a point where all life is dead, and it is likely that the excursions will kill off most of humanity.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long until climate change activists start self immolating like buddhist monks? can't wait for shitlords to start making fun of them for that because even though i expect it in my lifetime it's still gonna be a crack ping for me.

wow look at all the co2 that fire created. such a hypocrite

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Buck Turgidson posted:

the conclusion of that kurzgesagt video is a joke right? i watched it expecting a record scratch but it never came

John Oliver has done a bunch of episodes like this. he details some important hugely problematic issue that is rarely if ever covered in other media and even sometimes mentions how people have been trying for years to get reforms only to watch as everything keeps getting worse, but then he ends with “give to this charity that has failed continuously” or “call your senator who I mentioned in this piece as being a major corrupting part of the problem.”

he is incapable of saying there is nothing that can be done, he always wants to end on a hopeful note, but he really should just start being honest.

nothing is ever going to get better.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

lol

lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my favorite part about kamala saying that she expects the us to get into wars over water is that she did it while also making it the acknowledged us government position that our most recent wars really were about oil

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Radirot posted:

im thinking maybe the future is not so good

it certainly looks bright

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

now let's talk about hope

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

i feel more frustrated than angry, mostly at how we aren't doing anything about anything

we're doing lots of stuff! it all just makes everything worse

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

IAMKOREA posted:

yeah but bro what do the crickets eat? insects still have to obey the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of mass and no biological process is 100% efficient. if you're going to feed people insects, you still have to grow something to feed the insects. what i'm saying is that instead of growing food for crickets, and feeding it to the crickets, and then grinding the crickets up into disgusting cricket flour... just eat the loving cricket food.

also, referring to beans as a "small scale regional vegan food item" when they've been a staple of most cultures diets for thousands of years is hilariously disingenuous

killing a plant isn't enough of a rush. i have to kill something that's a bit more "alive" ya know, otherwise can you even really call it food?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unfortunately for disaster fetishists, there aren't many tsunami generators in/around the Atlantic. Aside from the unlikely sloughing-off of the "loose" face of Cumbre Vieja, the only other spots where subduction can take place are in the Caribbean, and they're not as active or as dangerous as those in the Pacific or Indian Oceans.

yeah we have to settle for the west coast being destroyed by a 500ft wave when south shore big island falls into the ocean

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol this video is more than a year old? someone linked it here i'm not finding the post to quote it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

the first part of this is amazing, the part mainly about how solar is fake. the end is all about how "biomass" is a huge scam. billions of subsidies stolen to massively incentivize doing tree agriculture to burn the trees. the scene with the cow and the horse i could have gone without seeing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
someone should buy jeff gibbs an account. he deserves it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
cherish what you have, even though it will soon be gone

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

also if this thread gets blown up because of QCS i will personally throttle the goon responsible

see this is exactly the type of violent rhetoric that andy ngo was talking about

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They're not going to shut down cspam. They might shut this thread down because someone decided to poke a hornets nest while the all the hornets were pissed off about a different hornets nest, I'm sorry I've lost the thread of the hornets nest metaphor I was going for here, but I think that instead they'll just remind people that it's a stupid idea to joke about carrying out bombings or assassinations and ban the people that do it.

yeah jeffery is in charge now. we'd never have another "lf" type situation on our hands under his expert and deeply wise leadership

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I knew permafrost melt was theorized to release methane deposits but I didn't know they would come in the form of giant explosions
https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1443051176371658753?s=20

lol loving badass

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tree Bucket posted:

It's been kind of unnerving noticing people's offhand comments about supply chain problems. "I work in x and we can't get any y for another z months! Oh well."
I guess those little disruptions gradually get more common, and last for longer, and begin to affect one another, and...

and then everything is fine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/09/29/us-declares-23-species-extinct-including-9-hawaii/

quote:

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Of the 23 species the U.S. government declared extinct his week, nine were indigenous to Hawaii.

No other state or U.S. territory has more species on the extinction list ― due in large part to Hawaii’s biodiversity. Eight of the Hawaii species are woodland birds and is a plant.

The most recent to go extinct was the poouli, a honeycreeper discovered in 1973.

By the late 1990s just three remained — a male and two females.
After failures to mate them in the wild, the male was captured for potential breeding and died in 2004. The two females were never seen again.

The other species declared extinct in Hawaii were:

Kauai akialoa (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1969
Kauai nukupuu (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1899
Kauai oo (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1987
Large Kauai thrush (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1987
Maui akepa (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1988
Maui nukupuu (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1996
Molokai creeper (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1963
Phyllostegia glabra var. lanaiensis (plant), last confirmed sighting in 1914
The fate of Hawaii’s birds helped push Duke University extinction expert Stuart Pimm into his field. Despite the grim nature of the government’s proposal to move more species into the extinct column, Pimm said the toll would probably have been much higher without the Endangered Species Act.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

we really loving hate birds

birds are just really easy to kill it turns out.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it was interesting to learn that sand flies are endemic to Milford sound. gods way of telling humans to stay the gently caress away from the coolest and most beautiful natural thing he made

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
china is going to destroy the usa

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

the earth won't be unlivable venus scenario no matter what. technology will save all of the privileged people quite easily.

some people just assume they will be the ones living in the techno-dome rather than the ones dying from drought

technology ain't gonna do poo poo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rapacity posted:

I care less about the “domes” or whatever weird techno fantasies you have than I care about the fact that our natural world is already immeasurably poorer than it was even when I was born less than 50 years ago. Millions of years of diversity and interdependence crushed into the polluted dirt.

haha owned. get wrecked earth

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

yepo. 2000-2020 was almost perfect stagnation -- perhaps one of the most stagnated periods in recent history. someone could be transplanted from 2000 to 2021 and it would feel nigh exactly the same. the only major difference is phones can do internet instead of just calls/text, but it's mostly there to sling ads n track, and not really any different. just further declining material conditions is about all that's happened

monitors and cameras are higher resolution now, and drones are better.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i swear there is a PFSC comic where a future man comes back and starts openly weeping when he sees that everything is made out of metal. which is right, except plastic

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
plastic permeating everything, choking off life and turning the earth into a wasteland, is actually a totally separate problem to climate change though which is pretty lol. lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

the virtual world has expanded while the material decays this is just like videodrome

if you want to hoard the few remaining resources you gotta plunge the populace into a virtual reality. that's like rookie poo poo. augmented reality to hide the dead bodies on the street. vr to help you forget you live in a 400 sqft windowless block. constant propaganda to remind you that this is the best it has ever been

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

A good breakdown on why science reporting on fusion power is bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4W1g-6JiY

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we either could have invented fusion and had infinite energy or we could air condition a bunch of tents in a desert halfway around the world for two decades and i think you'll be happy to know which one we did

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the solution to the planet warming uncontrollably is to ignite a tiny sun, or more likely thousands of them.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

for those not familiar

https://www.npr.org/2011/06/25/137414737/among-the-costs-of-war-20b-in-air-conditioning

vs. reality

my dumb opinion is that the sun is powered by fusion, and it's hot

controlled fusion is a really cool pipe-dream but the actual feedback from machines that cost more than your city sports team is about 1:1.1

always has been

although, speaking frankly in a science fiction kind of way if we crack the light speed barrier or fusion power or whatever we may be welcomed into the local galactic circle of enlightened beings be hit by an aimed mass to destroy our collective consciousness for crimes against reality

nuclear energy was a discovery and fusion is an engineering miracle. if the input 1 can be recycled directly from the output 1.1 then you have infinite energy. i'm sure the way we would likely do it would need a bunch of coal or natural gas though, so then you're just burning coal in a different way.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it was pretty fun to learn that those giant solar towers in the desert of nevada are actually just natural gas plants that are lightly amplified by solar for a small part of the day. also that all the mirrors break constantly and are all from fossil fuels and mining and also the shade kills any desert plants that hold the soil together even a little and so you end up with huge barren dust bowls when the thing eventually irreparably breaks in 20 years away.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i saw the keanu movie, you shoot lasers at water and get power

you shoot neutrons at a hydrogen plasma and then compress it a lot. hydrogen isotopes are much happier being helium atoms but you gotta convince them, and then as a reward they give you infinite energy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SniperWoreConverse posted:

iirc the spanish have gotten around this by using molten salt, where it gets so fuckin rip roarin hot that it melts blocks of salt and they use that to power turbines. The salt takes a while to get melted, like a whole day or something, but once it's all liquid it stays liquid and the plant produces power even if the mirrors aren't working at full capacity, and it keeps producing power at night. You need a fuckload of mirrors though and every little misalignment adds up.

Ofc instead of doing that you could just use gas burners to keep the salt liquid.

yeah this is what the american ones do too, but a critical component of keeping that salt molten is natural gas.

another poster mentioned that it isn't just an additional component like i had dismissively stated, it ends up being a significant fraction and produces 300% the electricity of a pure natural gas plant per volume of natural gas burned. you're still building a ton of mirrors to get that benefit, and believe it or not there isn't such thing as "empty consequence free space." not a serious solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
only right wing fascists can openly plan political assassinations or incite mob violence and terrorism. you get in trouble if you do it from the left.