Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Perhaps if we voted for the right people this would all take care of itself through smart climate policy and funding to private corporations to innovate oh there's blood coming out of my eyes hang on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I put my aluminum in the recycling bin what more do you people want from me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Punished "Venom" Thunberg

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God Hole posted:

the nearby schuylkill river has had the distinction of being "one of the dirtiest rivers in the country" and i see people swimming in that all the time. the new vine street expressway river is probably only marginally worse, presence of penske trucks notwithstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIO3jo_wf4

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jesus, internet makes you stupid
outside makes you stupid
there's no winning

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

do it I love this little guy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AceClown posted:

yo mods, can I get a sixer with this on my rap sheet

You're not allowed to have fun anymore 2 people got angry

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

vyelkin posted:

realtalk, skull.gif pointing out that the sixers were taking over the thread and crowding out other discussion was the most influential factor in my thinking here. I think two days was enough for this particular joke.

The world will still be ending in a couple days there's no harm in letting people enjoy the little green ghoulies

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How long can we drag this version of society out before we get past the denial phase of what's happening.
Is it years yet?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

River time
https://twitter.com/ByIanJames/status/1538872820494913536

So the feds have this whole plan to preserve this year's water to make it through to next year, they seem really worried about the short term:

But if you click through to the actual water modeling they did they also just assume that '23 will have way way more water than this year and also '24 will bounce back even higher, almost double this year's runoff for some reason: https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/24mo.pdf

Seems like one more bad year like this and the river is dead, better hope things improve :shrug:

"we'll deal with it next year"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I thought the last article said it still had years

man this exponential deterioration sure is a bummer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teenage Riot posted:

Gotta hand it to all the doomers in this thread who recommended Kurt Vonnegut’s Galápagos, it’s nailing it pretty strongly

There is another human defect which the Law of Natural Selection has yet to remedy: When people of today have full bellies, they are exactly like their ancestors of a million years ago: very slow to acknowledge any awful troubles they may be in. [...]

This was a particularly tragic flaw a million years ago, since the people who were best informed about the state of the planet [...] and rich and powerful enough to slow down all the waste and destruction going on, were by definition well fed.

So everything was always just fine as far as they were concerned.

For all the computers and measuring instruments and news gatherers and evaluators and memory banks and libraries and experts on this and that at their disposal, their deaf and blind bellies remained the final judges of how urgent this or that problem, such as the destruction of North America’s and Europe’s forests by acid rain, say, might really be.

And here was the sort of advice a full belly gave and still gives [...]: “Be patient. Smile. Be confident. Everything will turn out for the best somehow.

Vonnegut had a deep understanding of every facet of the American soul

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

well christ, we've killed ourselves

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the ghost coyotes will save us. i've been trying to tell you all

I was reading in a book last night that they've managed to successfully extract ancient human DNA from soil samples so the good news is, should anyone ever come after us, they'll probably be able to find scraps of our DNA in the piles of microplastic too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sure it's an existential crisis for the whole community/state but think about my property values

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

gonna go live in the middle of a desert, seems like the prudent thing to do
-dumb white idiots

"Also let's build giant, poorly insulated houses with lots of windows that are only habitable with electricity"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Car Hater posted:

Same as it ever was

Same as it ever was

Water dissolving and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Under the water, carry the water
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean
Water dissolving and water removing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

why the everloving gently caress would they do this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want to be the guy in the dusty saloon playing slide guitar

or if we're going more mad max, I want to be the guy playing the flamethrower guitar

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We get it, you play guitar Just tell us what kind of twisted bdsm gear you're gonna sport already

Edit: don't say guitar

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sound like those were some lovely models

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You know what would really help build that topsoil? A lot of dead animals strewn across the Arctic. I think we can help

The time to get in on cheap arctic real estate is right now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The WaPo article that quotes this guy is exactly why reaching most people is very literally just impossible. Depending on your perspective, the media is either intentionally spreading misinformation or doesn't care enough to vet their sources or both. Either way, it means everyone needs to be an expert just to read a news article and parse whether or not it's bullshit.

Putting that burden onto the average news consumer is honestly a brilliant disinformation strategy. Good work, assholes.

the fallacy of "impartial" journalism has been being manipulating by bad actors forever, because for some reason adding "which is factually untrue" to a statement made by some random politician or whatever is editorializing instead of educating

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's a double entendre about the old-timey diagnosis of "hysteria" (literally "disease of the womb") and people who dismiss climate change as part of natural cycles in the climate as the earth shifts between ice ages and temperate

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Need to go on a microplastics cleans

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

put a brick in your cistern

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

lol if you live in the PNW :fork: https://futurism.com/leak-bottom-ocean

kiss your rear end goodbye before bed every night

quote:

suggests that the almost-fresh water leaking out of it may be a sort of tectonic lubricant
[...]
"the fluid is coming straight from the Cascadia megathrust"
[...]

The megathrust needs lubricant

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ain't a philosophical tradition more honored than dropping the name of a text as a means to end a conversation

this is why Socrates refused to write things down

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TACD posted:

My thanks to a Discord doomer who pointed to the IPCC Special Report: Global Warming of 1.5 ºC, published in 2018, which set 2030 as the earliest plausible worst-case date for temperatures crossing 1.5℃.

say the line, bart

maybe the ice caps will just re-freeze afterwards and we can scavenge the wreckage of the coastal cities like we're discovering Atlantean ruins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

https://twitter.com/Ant_Partnership/status/1659080930777088001

Australian Antarctic Program quietly screaming in that calm way only professional scientists can do.

Large ice free regions in the Antarctic, at the winter solstice, while receiving no sunlight. :thumbsup:

I am not a scientist but the area difference in that picture produces a profound sense of dread in my stomach

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

though imagine if we'd spent the last hundred years doing anything with our technology that wasn't blowing each other up or maximizing profits but dumping chemicals on each other
working towards some means of harmony with the natural world instead of ripping the pieces off bit by bit to provide a few thousand people a life more decadent than any monarch could ever have dreamed of

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I was watching the local news in Portland and saw this lmao:

I moved here because I love temperate rainforests and their mild weather. Now it gets hot as poo poo in the Spring and Summer, trees have mass die offs, my garden keeps getting killed, we have a smoke season, and it stops raining for a month at at time. The day it hit 115F hosed up a lot of people here.

goddamn KGW8, that's going hard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

our self destruction is exponential in growth

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AceClown posted:

an actual good policy!

This was proposed back end of last year I think, and I fully expected it to never be implemented

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1660981178675998720?s=20

this is both fascinating and seems to be a terrifying warning of how hosed things truly are

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's a good thing the UK completely disconnected from mainland Europe at a time when international cooperation would be most necessary for their own longevity

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smoobles posted:

lol trees really be like "winter's over, time to catch on fire!"

eventually we'll run of trees to catch on fire and everything will be okay again

no further questions

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

is it bad that it's going off the chart

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

love living in the ambiguity of "is this a random event or the beginning of the end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

the planet is on fire but don't worry we subsidized air conditioners
https://twitter.com/WHYYNews/status/1666082657653100546?s=20

this is a good thing and not at all indicative of a problem