Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

RadiRoot posted:

particulate matter is made up bullshit. also its natural.

thus by a shifting of rhetorical focus the particulate matter is both strong and weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cracking and pinging rn

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

is this good

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Folks I cannot recommend strongly enough ignoring this topic for like a week so you can return to this graph and ope lmao crack ping intensely

https://twitter.com/ClimateDefiance/status/1672967603822657536?s=20

:lmao:

goddamn the comments on that one :crackping:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

not checking, but like a hundred have to be variations on "very carefully", right?

nah it's a hundred bluechecks sitting there going "uhhhh but science has sometimes been wrong in the past so actually im gonna emit carbon even harder"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's a lot of :razz: types, even and especially in this subforum, who will constantly go, no, no, no the problem is at the very top! but you look at the replies to something like that tweet and you instantly know the rot goes deep down to the loving bone. Remove the parasites at the top, doesn't matter, there's millions of the absolute worst piggies on the planet clamoring and screeching for their turn to step up and replace the freaks and continue on doing the exact same thing.

It's so depressing to watch. I've seen a number of posts circulating on social media that are like "hey consider bumping up your normal AC temperature by a degree or two this summer" and you'd think people have been handed a gun and asked to pick one of their children to murder. It's all gonna go to poo poo sooner or later, global industrial capitalism is unsustainable as gently caress

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

A guy at the dog park this morning told me he keeps his house at 65F! Sixty-five! It was already 76 degrees at 7AM!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah since the world didn't literally end it doesn't matter if poo poo is as bad or worse than predicted or that the original quotes were talking about tipping points not the actual literal end of the world... this proves all climate science is wrong. checkmate, climate commies!

climate change is only real if The Day After Tomorrow literally happens

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I like how they elected Greta Thunberg as the Climate Change science expert

Every social issue has one, maybe two figureheads and if I don't like the figureheads that means the issue they care about isn't real. Al Gore and Greta Thunberg are bad so climate change isn't real in much the same way that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are bad so that means racism isn't real

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

RC Cola posted:

Imagine being a child born in 2023. Those poor kids will never know anything approaching normal. Hell I'm 33 and I haven't experienced a normal winter in my life lol

I have a niece who was born in October 2019 and I feel so bad that she'll never know the old normal :smith:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hate it when climate protestors spread machetes all over the cricket field

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Paradoxish posted:

Interstellar was a crappy movie that still has one of the best depictions of what a slow collapse is probably going to look like for rich western countries. Food is going to end up being a much bigger issue much sooner than a lot of people expect.

Went back home for the 4th to suburban PA on the boarder of rural PA. My sister commented that the corn seemed like it wasn't coming in as well as it used to, and my parents agreed. Seems like it gets a little worse every year, in fact.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WHY DOES IT START IN 1982

WHAT HAPPENED IN 1981

WHAT ARE THE LIBS HIDING

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

danny boyle's sunshine but in reverse

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my bottom line :gonk:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hubbert posted:

domes

DOMES

DOMES!!!

i regret to inform you this guy owns

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

line go up

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:umberto: but lol @ "they are so strong they have drones poisoning crops and the people don't know it but ALSO they're cornered and panicking"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

im egay

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

we're saved!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

[looking for a place to build my new house] what about here, at Suicide Basin

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

its on the front page of cnn how is that "memory holed"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

lol. lmao, even

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dokapon Findom posted:

It's just amazing that we seem to be going from global warming just being noticed to it ending everything within one lifetime

Geometric growth will gently caress you up

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Wow, haven't seen that one since the '00s. I think eventually even most of the denialists realized Antarctica isn't floating.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Trabisnikof posted:

you're just assuming, have you looked underneath it to check??

y'know that's a fair point, gonna go start a tire fire to celebrate

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Time to rename Chile to Wharme

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

as someone who doesn't know what FRP is im assuming its liberal bullshit and the planet is fine

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

wrap it up doomers :smug:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Top G posted:

What do they do in the ever-lengthening warm season

i don't understand, maine is cold

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

inshallah

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pillowpants posted:

Realistically for someone who hasn’t been paying enough attention to climate science, this all looks bad.

I know we are past several inflection pointd but how much longer can they pretending nothing is happening before our sense of normalcy is challenged and poo poo really hits the fan?

People at large are already aware. Even in denialist circles the rhetoric has changed from "climate change isn't real" to "the Earth goes through natural cycles" to "those dastardly Chinese are doing it". Just comment on how it's weirdly warm for October and you'll get a kind of defeated "heh" from most people--they know something is wrong, they just haven't embraced the scope of it.

Unlike something like Don't Look Up's comet, there will never be a point where we collectively see the problem with our own eyes for the first time. Instead we'll have scattered portions of the population realize how bad things are at scattered times, and maybe eventually one of those will serve as the tipping point, but more likely we're gonna keep seeing stuff like Greece or Pakistan flooding and it's gonna start getting closer and closer to home (no matter where "home" is for you) and nothing will ever be done until the worst has already come to pass.

Of course even in Don't Look Up seeing the comet with the naked eye wasn't enough, so, y'know, lol lmao

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yeah but if we made sure the poo poo we do at an industrial level was safe before we did it that would slow the pace of innovation and make the number sad! You wouldn't want the number to be sad, would you?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Oldest Man posted:

only sad number can save the world

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas but it's a sad number instead

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ikanreed posted:

China doing better will be absolutely essential to any hope of mitigation.

lol, "hope"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I am not particularly worried about microplastics because the heat will kill us first :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the derivatives beyond jerk are snap, crackle, and pop :eng101:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

no no no we're gonna die with climate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Argentum posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1744382036029190469

holy gently caress 8 days into the year and we've already broken the record, and we're just getting started LMAO

Six sigma over a data set of 30 data points is effectively meaningless, for whatever that's worth. We're all still gonna die tho