Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
anyone who's worked a logistics job knows that capitalism optimizes through skeletonization, there is zero resilience or wiggle room to it. everything has been like three tractor-trailers from collapse for over 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Doctor Jeep posted:

lol, movie after book after tv show after documentary made over the 70 years and the impact is close to zero, the same poo poo is happening today
the power of culture

almost all of those stories have a hero character who does the right thing, thus performing its job by convincing the people watching it that the problem isnt that bad because theres a good guy out there wholl fix it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
imagine getting to give glory to the hypercane but not being awake to experience it. sad.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
im going to open my mind until i can make large matter achieve quantum superposition wherever i like and instead of using that to solve the problem i will instead open a portal to jupiter to bring in hypercanes

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chamale posted:

How the gently caress is his design this much worse than a rocket built in the 60s? I mean, it's good evidence that collective action is capable of better things than leaving it all to corporations

the billionaires collectively have the intelligence of a couple goldfish but an ego to say do it my way

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

hurricanes are drunk now

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

is there even any realistic way to clean up all the microplastics? like put the climate collapse aside for a moment, the only way you'd be able to get everything that needed to be gotten would be plastic-eating bacteria I guess

at current rates eventually all microplastic will be safely sequestered inside of animals humans and especially newborns

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Decades posted:

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/0...vGLb6U9U6Aovc3f

So this is a This American Life episode about a father who grows estranged from his family because of their irreconcilably different perspectives on climate change. Yes, I know the succ zone is that way, but give it a listen and I think you'll find that it is relevant to our interests and actually owns.

You see, the story starts out with a father in Washington state who learns about climate change, has an awakening, and quickly grows deeply concerned. He gets his family involved, and he and his wife raise his two kids to be mini American Greta's. They go on tour spreading the good word about the need to aggressively transition to renewable energy. He pushes them hard, optimizing their performances to maximize their effect (the younger the cute disarming one, the older one the doomer), to an extent that quickly grows harsh and abusive.

The activism becomes too intense and all-consuming. There becomes no way left to maintain a healthy relationship with the father, so mom pulls the kids out. While dad keeps pushing climate change activism as a life and death matter,  the rest of the family takes a step back and tries to go back to normal life. The father can't go back and continues to pressure the kids, so they try therapy, and the kids admit they were only interested in activism in order to access their father's love. The father apologizes for not doing MORE to get them more deeply involved in climate work. One of the kids attempts suicide. Eventually the family gives the father an ultimatum and makes him agree to drop the climate activism and go back to being a normal loving dad.

Instead he goes full direct action and gets thrown in jail for helping shut off a tar sands pipeline, accumulating multiple felonies. His family is horrified that he would do something so selfish and destructive to their way of life. Doesn't he care about them at all? They scoff as elements of the media make Dad out to be some kind of hero. Other climate activists reach out to the family to try and explain the father's motivations and the importance of his work, but they maintain he was annoying, harmful, and has accomplished nothing, having postured as a family man while wasting his life on a frivolous personal pursuit. 

The interviewer reaches out to the father again to talk about his family, but he is still hung up on the climate change thing and only wants to discuss the science of the looming catastrophe. He gets talked down for the harsh way he treated his young children. He accepts that he's been left aimless and broken, stranded farthest from the thing he loves most.

The family cuts all ties, just barely wishing him well. The family feels much better having freed themselves of the irrationally intense pressure of their alarmist father. They can finally escape from a constant feeling of looming catastrophe, and they can finally get back to their own lives and take a deep breath. The kids go off to college, their climate nightmares now reduced to once every few weeks. 

Then the PNW heat dome comes (crack). Now the still-estranged father's voice haunts them, scolding them for not doing enough to help. They can no longer block it out, and accept that Dad was right about the climate after all (ping! lol).

lmao owned

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
how dare u call are brave leaders climate deniers have you not read their websites they have the most comprehensive climate plans of all time were fine

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

How do these people manage to avoid drowning when it rains

give it another year or two for the 2-foot-an-hour rains to hit them

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
they turn the throat into shoes and the penis into twine to sew the shoes, truly magnificent

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
what does sanity have? cheering when number goes up
what does insanity have? laughing in empty movie theaters and tearing out your eyes

i think i know which one i;ll pick

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Laterite posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidCable13/status/1447370676914974720

"The expected aviation demand in Puget Sound by 2050 will necessitate a second major international airport comparable to the size of SEA."

lol

"Seattle’s airport situation is not entirely dissimilar to the challenges facing Sydney’s Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD), which has an artificial limit on its capacity due to legislated strict overnight flight curfews and flight caps — a policy to reduce aircraft noise in residential areas immediately adjacent to the airport. Further expansions to SYD are also challenged by its limited geographical area and its location in the concave of a small bay, surrounded by neighbourhoods.

Before the pandemic, SYD saw over 40 million passengers annually, and was expected to reach capacity by 2030.

Given the unsurmountable obstacles with a major expansion of SYD, after a decade of serious planning, the Australian government began construction in 2018 on a major secondary international airport for the Sydney region, called Western Sydney International Airport.

Western Sydney’s location on farm and rural lands is over 40 km east of downtown Sydney and SYD, but major investments in highway and rail rapid transit will optimize ground access and travel times."

lmao

lol

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

Careful, if you keep saying this people might call you a fascist.

he truly is goon thanos, he wants to just snap away half of the trash, and with it, half the profits!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

which joker laugh though? there are a lot of them

idk about the video but as an incredibly broken person mine is the busted laugh box from the end of batman '89

Rime posted:

So you always, always, see new renewables projects in the news as "X Megawatts, enough production to power Y Thousand Households! ". The actual power purchase agreements are rarely discussed in the media.

Homework time: find the common factor between these four projects announced in Alberta for next year:

https://www.tcenergy.com/announceme...arm-to-alberta/

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-808552608.html

https://bluearthrenewables.com/shell-ppa/

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/ne...t-with-Dow.html

well its alberta so i assume they're using them to power more tar sand digging

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

it means now we lmao

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
stupid black mesa scientists suck rear end, OUR scientists didn't need headcrabs and barnacles to make the planet a hostile hellscape, just jobs with the oil companies

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

haha holy gently caress

edit: this is so bad it's almost unbelievable. someone debunk this please. that linear red line looks dubious to me, for example.

anyway if it's true hope i live to see it and then immediately check out because YIKES

it looks dubious because it's straight, the reality is it's going to be an big lol of an exponential curve down eventually instead of a smooth straight line when this happens ahead of predictions

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
i think youll find that the talking heads and dnc have said china is the originator of all sin and the mic representatives say it must be destroyed, so they are actually at the top of all charts

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/noaaresearch/status/1448293254575841287?s=21

It feels like geoengineering is inevitable as a Hail Mary after everyone refuses any sort of degrowth. And thanks to shifting baselines it will only take a generation or two before everyone forgets there was a time before the skies were always white.

its gonna own when they try geoengineering and gently caress it up because they half-rear end it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
the nice thing about capitalism's efficiency and neoliberalism's love of the status quo is that by the time they start to put everyone in camps for ecofascist reasons the climate and biosphere will have broken down enough that it wont matter so if they want to beat that at the rate its going they need to hurry up and start putting more than just refugees in the concentration camps

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
lol rime stop posting in the bad place

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

still beyond stunned that someone wrote out that one (1) tree absorbs 3000 pounds of carbon dioxide in its lifetime, then went on to write that one (1) passenger vehicle generates 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide in a loving year and their takeaway was "we need to plant more trees"

it owns

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Dr. Furious posted:

people loathe native plants

we must rip out the miami palms and plant pine trees there

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
the transitory period of end stage capitalism to covid to the start of climate collapse is the time of the introvert, then after that is the time for the surviving extroverts-turned-cannibals

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

Plastic is made out of oil right? Why don't we just...

lmao

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
the early warning system will fail when a second hypercane forms while the first one is still inbound

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
just wait until you learn how important the next election is

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
just dump all the trash in the barren wasteland that used to be the amazon rainforest its not like its going to recover after theyve sucked the little bit of nutrient from the soil to grow a years worth of beef anyway

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
(humanity is) out (of) descendants

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

METRO ONLY - NO LAG - ALL WEAPONS - 10000000000 SLOTS

bf 2042 is actually bf 2022

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

well he says poo poo sucks and is worse than previously thought so sounds pretty reputable based on reality

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mameluke posted:

Me reading forced feminization captions: This loving owns

Me drinking plastic-laden tap water: Wtf this sucks

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Dolphin posted:

stop talking like you're in d&d, it raises my hackles

Instead of a disgusting revolution, how about we liberate China, which is currently the only place in the world committing genocide and also the only place emitting greenhouse gas, as you can see in the following links from trusted source Bellingcat.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think I prefer extinction to the kind of world you seem to want.

good news

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

would love to see how goons hilariously gently caress up this one

in the original timeline the climate was fine, marx had overthrown the entirety of europe and nuclear power was discovered a couple years after that so we didn't face those issues, then someone from alternate gbs started a goon project to make a time machine and oopsies

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Serf posted:

this thread becomes more and more insane the longer it goes. is this guy some kinda well-known dumbass?

well apparently he lives in california, a place that is literally achieving climate change-related automated desertification in front of our eyes, and says climate change is a fake crisis created by college kids so lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
another thing with laser eye surgery is for some reason it can gently caress up your ability to use certain firearm sights so it could make the part of the future where everyone's wearing bondage gear and shooting each other harder for you as well