Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
thx op, sorry about your incoming perma but we do have a tradition to maintain with the climate threads

edit while we're first page posting:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Who should read this thread?
  • major depressive disorder enthusiasts
  • misanthropes cheering on human extinction
  • climate scientists
  • law enforcement officers
  • monks/stoics that have attained liberation from suffering
if you don't identify with any of the above groups, this thread will be bad for you!

Where should I relocate to once [region] becomes uninhabitable? What kind of job would be well suited for a failing biosphere?

let's answer your questions with a question: if you're the type of person that needs to ask an internet comedy forum this kinda thing, do you think you're the type of person who survives what's coming?

Which technology is best suited for reversing climate change?

time travel!

How guilty should I feel about my personal consumption on a dying planet?

as little or as much as you you like! it's completely meaningless unless what you're consuming is time machines!

How long do we have before [specific event] happens?

nobody can predict the future to the day or even the year sadly. all we can offer is an incomplete timeline to measure the present against

Why not OD on a pile of fentanyl if things are so hopeless?

pro tip: life in general is hopeless! moving beyond hope is part of embracing the reality of the world as it is

At what point will atmospheric CO2 levels guarantee human extinction?

https://mobile.twitter.com/aedison/status/1411028712020119557?lang=ar

Wakko has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Egg Moron posted:

If climate change so loving bad, why do I still have to go to work?

you got it backwards. you have to go to work to make climate change worse

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Dreylad posted:

I wanted to post this since it seemed to me in the same category as A Full Life and what do you know, also by Paolo Bacigalupi: The People of Sand and Slag

holy crap i read this decades ago and never connected that it was same guy as the water knife

funny how optimistic it reads from just a little further in the century

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
fukkin doublepost

editing in some content: Climate migration is already happening — for homeowners who can afford it

quote:

Nearly half of Americans who plan to move in the next year say natural disasters and extreme temperatures factored into their decision to relocate, according to an April survey conducted by real estate brokerage firm Redfin.

Last month, the United Nations’ climate panel delivered a dire report calling for immediate action. The agency warned that limiting global warming to close to 1.5 degrees Celsius or even 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels “will be beyond reach” in the next two decades without rapid and large-scale reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. The report said that at 2 degrees Celsius, heat extremes would often reach critical tolerance thresholds for agriculture and health.

Wakko has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Sep 16, 2021

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
ya man i think the ice may be plotting against us

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
finally watched some of the dome video and it seems super well thought out and will be watched by zero people who don't already agree so hi5 anonymous goon

the only quibble I have is the framing of things in the language of crime because it implies humanity has agency

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

skooma512 posted:

We're going to go from "It's too early and we're not sure" to "It's too late and we should just keep going and enjoy" with no middle that is "Now is the time to do something"

yes that was the whole plan with exxon suppressing climate research for the 30 years or so where doing things would have mattered

although aside from the posters ITT not sure how many will enjoy being unceremoniously dumped into a mass grave, but we'll get to find out together!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
everyone in 1970

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

blatman posted:

a couple weeks ago everyone started losing phone service across canada for a few hours and I was legitimately hyped for a catastrophic coronal mass ejection

what is wrong with me

you’re one small part of a larger disease process thats been endowed with sentience but not agency

enjoy the lmaos

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Captain Gordon posted:

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

lol

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yo if any of the sites computer janitors read this thread i would pay ten bux to be able to ban anyone who subjects me to a d&d post in this thread specifically. i got all the terminal liberalism i need on facebook. ten bux per post, plus potential re-regs. think about it

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
^^^^^^^^^ we did it! every climate thread perspective on one page

Torpor posted:

aunt Nona was the hero

every character is a hero. everybody goes right along consuming and migrating and consuming. it’s a beautiful story about stage 4 humanity. the author isn’t uplifting any character over another. everybody makes their own small contribution to the great common purpose.

Wakko has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Sep 21, 2021

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Xaris posted:

i'd love to be a fly on the window, but well, they're all dead

same, car hater you should gopro some of these. i bet there's youtube money to be had

i legit can't imagine hooking up for the dying of all lights and somehow being sad about it. okcupid's "not having kids and its very important" slapped back in the day

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
a bloo bloo someone should post the actuarial table for when we'll have blocked up the hosts lungs and liver so i can know when to stop working so hard

shut up, we all have to keep working as hard as we can to kill this fucker and your contribution is important

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Hubbert posted:

now let's talk about hope

good poo poo, added a line in the faq with a link. still updating as im reminded of the same handful of points this thread circles around to.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yeah i remember that NY article, it was p. good iirc

this might be a v. specific cultural touchstone, but i often think back to this one scene in that steve carell movie with a moon-sized asteroid about to peel the earth's crust like an onion:

steve walks in on these 5 military guys who have dug out a bunker exactly one story below grade and are stocking up all these supplies and weapons. they invite him to join them to survive. steve tries to explain that all their preparation is many orders of magnitude out of line with the approaching disaster and they just stare at him.

that's what i think about every time someone shares a plan for how an ape-sized megafauna will survive the mass extinction event of its own making

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
you should post in the thread about how hard ur lollin about it

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
lmao you're still gonna be going to work while you're rationing your potable water. treasure these "the engine is on fire but the flames are only starting to spread to the passenger compartment" years

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
gonna be real i will never understand ya'lls obsession with the forum for liberalism. is the idea that if you beat the liberals here it will make up for neoliberalism killing the planet. is it something with your dads. like what kind of damage makes someone subject themself to d&d

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
nice

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Dolphin posted:

A downed primary will light you on fire from the inside and you'll be dead before you realize you're in danger. A secondary will boil you. Do not gently caress with power lines.

also op is doing way more work than necessary

just take a male-to-male power cord (like the one you use for your generator) and plug both ends into the same electrical socket

boom unlimited energy without having to mess with power lines

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

the best thing about the hyper focus on the dumbass equations of (Human Specific Carbon Emission Amount) + (Time) = (Temperature) that currently defines most of our conversation on climate change is that it ignores all of the natural feedback loops, non-carbon emissions and untraced emissions that are also happening.

eh i would say the best thing is how we've already emitted Pliocene-era levels of CO2 and kicked off a mass extinction event but the focus is on adaptation or mitigation and not managing human extinction

reading parable of the sower finally and the bits where the govt is issuing updates on the space program as all the major coastal cities succumb to famine and sectarian violence feels right. wish i could see the IPCC updates issued from the last survivors in siberia and the canadian shield. carbon capture technology to turn this ship around any day according to COP97 lmao

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
great more empty platitudes. where's the subsidies for my app to crowdsource mass graves joe?? the market's ready to solve this crisis but we gotta see those incentives

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Neon Noodle posted:

The existential horror of our historical moment, it's a bitch. Not only do most of our lives have no meaning, but many of us are engaged in the destruction of meaning or any possibility of meaning.

the most backward take. humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
sir, this is an arbys, but pass me the joint through the window and you can just go off okay

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
thx again 4 these updates on other forums rime

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
it's kinda dull at times, but you can scrub past the drama bits and get a good feel for what the minimum bound of the near future is like. the ending is nonsensical but you have parable of the sower or children of men to pick up where it leaves off

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

petit choux posted:

voluntary inaction

an odd term. everything that lives acts.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

The Wisest Moron posted:

Splifyphus's only crimes were having bad opinions about comedy and reading Hegel.

also having a real incongruous username/posting vibe imo

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Dr Sun Try posted:

Surely since there is nothing else going on in the world everyone will pay attention to the latest report.

It's really smart that they released it after the olympics. Otherwise it might be buried in less important news.

wouldn't want the world to miss exciting new findings from the ipcc: "we must take dramatic action in the near future to stop climate change". real groundbreaking stuff. can't wait to hear it again at 450ppm atmospheric CO2

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

rabble rabble posted:

this is where you realize in the grand scheme of things we're already living in the aftermath

this is more like the math tbh. the aftermath of the Great Dying was when the remaining life on the planet was adapted to lots more methane. which coincidentally

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Climate Change Is Taking a Big Bite out of Our Food Supply

we did a lil oopsie woopsie and terraformed earth into a planet that won't be able to support humans by the end of the century

quote:

The damage extends beyond crop failures triggered by destructive weather events. Heightened CO2 in the atmosphere actually helps crops grow faster, but it also boosts their carbohydrate content and drives down their levels of key vitamins and minerals. “This is of particular relevance for fruit and vegetable crops given their importance in human nutrition,” the report states. Worse, increased heat stress from climate change more than outweighs the effect of faster growth. Warmer temperatures have already lowered yields of the globe’s big three staple crops—corn, wheat, and rice—by 5.3 percent since 1961, the authors find.

And they estimate that these crops’ yields will fall an additional 10 to 25 percent for each degree of warming above the current 1.1 degrees. In West Africa, heat and rainfall extremes “intensified by human-induced warming” have already cut yields of millet and sorghum—crucial foodstuffs in the region—by at least 10 percent and 5 percent, respectively. More alarming still is that as much as 30 percent of the globe’s current farm and pastureland will become unsuitable for food production—too hot, too dry, too denuded of topsoil—by century’s end without substantial and timely cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, the report finds.

no problem! just have to learn to live with not eating food

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
lotta good news coming out today

US beef industry emerges from Biden’s climate pledges ‘relatively unscathed’

quote:

Biden and the EU unveiled a global pledge to cut methane gas 30% by 2030 at November’s Cop26 climate summit – and there is evidence that methane created by cattle production is a significant contributor to climate change.

But those at the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) annual trade show in Houston last month heard industry leaders express relief about the administration choosing to incentivize rather than force ranchers and feedlots to reduce emissions.

Mary-Thomas Hart, NCBA’s environmental counsel, told a sustainability forum at the conference how lucky the industry was with the administration’s approach, according to information obtained by Unearthed, Greenpeace’s investigations project, and shared with the Guardian.

“A good example is, during Cop26, the president led a global methane pledge, and that could have gone really badly for livestock production in the United States, could have gone badly for the cattle industry,” Hart told her audience. “But this administration seems to have recognized the positive value we bring. We were really excited to get out of that relatively unscathed.”

gonna use these crazy warm march days to throw some burgs on the grill tonite

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
well that sounds wrong, civilization as we know it will be just fine once we figure out how to get past eating food

Midwestern US has lost 57.6 trillion metric tons of soil due to agricultural practices, study finds

quote:

A new study in the journal Earth’s Future led by the University of Massachusetts Amherst shows that, since Euro-American settlement approximately 160 years ago, agricultural fields in the midwestern U.S. have lost, on average, two millimeters of soil per year. This is nearly double the rate of erosion that the USDA considers sustainable. Furthermore, USDA estimates of erosion are between three and eight times lower than the figures reported in the study. Finally, the study’s authors conclude that plowing, rather than the work of wind and water, is the major culprit.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
some good news to roll into the weekend with

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1504940438142259200?s=10

quote:

The historically high temperatures in Antarctica follow a pulse of exceptional warmth on the planet’s opposite end. On Wednesday, temperatures near the North Pole catapulted 50 degrees above normal, close to the melting point.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

bedpan posted:

I love the "this century" framing, like the problem of climate change isn't something to worry about until 2100.

it's the other way around, climate problems stop getting worse in 2100. no we've never run the models out to 2200, but we're pretty sure all the bad stuff stops at 2100.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

IAMKOREA posted:

We're at 420 now, so that's 140 to go. It took us about 50 years to add 140 last time but lmao it's not the 70s anymore I bet we can get there in 3 decades. Hell yeah.

its gonna be tough keeping the burn rate high when famine and violence start taking a toll on consumption, but i have faith in us

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Turtle Sandbox posted:

We must all accept that humanity will never do anything about climate change.

sure sure. we must all accept that yeast will never do anything about converting starch to sugar too i guess? do you read this thread at all my dude, humanity is going to do a ton about climate change. humans are going to make it happen so fast. the best and hottest hothouse earth you've ever seen. just incredibly hot.

edit: :synpa:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

net work error posted:

If you had to deal with the collapse would you rather do pnw or great lakes region?

do you like your air with a smoky aftertaste or no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
nobody can tell how much warming we've already locked in as long as we press our eyes closed as hard as we can and shout nananananana when anyone tries to read the most fundamental analysis like i.e.

"the last time the atmospheric CO₂ amounts were this high was more than 3 million years ago, when temperature was 2°–3°C (3.6°–5.4°F) higher than during the pre-industrial era, and sea level was 15–25 meters (50–80 feet) higher than today."