Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you'll drink nothing and you'll be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
there's some intangible irony or something in people only noticing that we killed all the bugs because they're no longer killing lots of bugs with their cars.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
looked it up, 121kg (266lbs) of meat per person per year in the USA, highest in the world.

that's nearly 1/3 kg per day (12oz), and that per capita includes everyone, children and vegetarians etc., so the amount of people just packing meat into their faces for every meal must be huge.

i'm not vegetarian (and def not vegan, hmu with vegan butter/cheese recommendations though), but due to my wife going quasi-buddhist i've been 99.9%+ meat-free for a few years now (fried chicken like twice a year), and i have to admit it was a bit of a mental hurdle at first, but i got over it in like no time. i've found one reliable brand of vegetarian meatballs that are fantastic, and same with vegetarian chicken schnitzels, but that's about as much as i gently caress around with simulacra meat. lucky to live in a city with lots of, uh, "ethnic" grocers, so access to ingredients isn't a problem.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

blatman posted:

darn it I knew Big Cricket was responsible for all this

that greasy bastard had it all planned out

edit:

for vegetarian things I dig virtually every recipe on this site here: https://buddhisttemple.ca/taste-of-zen/view-recipes/ but if your wife has been doing semi-buddhism for awhile already then you've probably already seen it. I cook with a lot of beans, lentils (are these beans too? who the gently caress knows, it's a secret to everyone), tofu etc but so far the best meat substitute i've found for anything saucey is paneer though it's absolutely not vegan, think cheese with a chicken texture if done right

paneer aside, you can make seitan real easy if you have access to flour, water and hands, not a high barrier of entry considering most goons have an above average number of hands and flour is like five dollars a ton

the other fake meat pro tip is make your taco filling out of textured soy protein, if you get the little tiny chunks you can dress it up to be indistinguishable from taco bell which has the side benefit of raising a lot of questions about what taco bell uses in their meat

cool cool

my (labour intensive) favourite meat subsitute has been cooking down minced mushrooms until they're dark brown and pretty dry. gotta stir them for like an hour, and add in a little rehydrated dried porcini for flavour, but they make a mapo tofu topping that's honestly better than the meat versions i used to make. can be used as pork/beef mince subsitutes for anything.

hail seitan, there's a place near me that does amazing fried seitan with chilli and peanuts.

the only things i really "miss" are steaks (used to be in to sous vide. wankery, but so fuckin good) and fried chicken (which i still cave in for now and then because it's so ubiquitous)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's literally "im gonna count to three, and unless someone ~does something~, you're all in big trouble!"

they're even doing the "two and a haaaaalf. two and three quaaarrrrterssss" thing now, with 30s increments.

and it was started by the people who invented the nuclear bomb lol lmao.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

I watched both "Nature Abhors a Dome" and "Planet of the Humans" over the past couple days. And now it's really sinking in for me that some type of rapid and catastrophic degrowth in the near future is the best possible outcome to look forward too.

I was a squatter punk for 7 years. My household of 5 used solar for electric, we used and generated ~700 Wh a day (the average American household uses about 30 kWh a day), it was enough to have lights and charge our cellphones, laptops, power tools, and pretty decent speaker system and run fans in the summer. It was nowhere near enough to run basic modern conveniences like a fridge or AC and heat (we used a small dorm-room sized fridge that ran off propane and a wood stove in the living room). Food mostly came from dumpsters and food stamps. We also had regular running water. Most of my none squatter friends thought it seemed like an asetic lifestyle, but it honestly felt close enough to a normal western lifestyle to me at the time. I'm realizing now that whoever is left alive in the future will be considered rich if they can manage a similar set-up.

All I can say is... lol lmao

It'll be this, but no dumpsters full of food and no foodstamps. so dead in two weeks.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

ughhhh posted:

https://inhabit.global/

Stay quite. Gather a crew. Get ready for the new world.

oh so this is where the occupy wall street true believers ended up

also, that is written to be self-selecting for the most tedious people imaginable

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mlmp08 posted:

just in case someone was thinking they could pin their hopes on literal magic or intervention by a pantheon of gods or something, the UK took care of that:

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1442859029072580613?s=21

"The white stag in Celtic myth is an indicator that the Otherworld is near. It appears when one is transgressing a taboo"

https://www.ancienttexts.org/library/celtic/jce/whitestag.html

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i am deploying doom-capture technology on this thread

it can capture up to one "lol lmao" a month, so things are looking up for doom mitigation

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

kaxman posted:

Few things have ever given me the sense of accomplishment i felt the first time i successfully docked two Kerbal spacecraft in orbit but that's because it really was an incredible pain in the rear end.

So here's my idea: let's do it fifteen times for one trip.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

The Protagonist posted:

just a lil thermonuclear exchange

as a treat

~smol~ nuclear war. and then it just stops.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i'm fairly confident that Quietus will be available in my lifetime

bonus points if it's freely distributed by the government on request

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
rime have you never seen a movie

don't you know how "one last job" always ends

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
this must have been posted before but WHO CARES

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/

i like it because

(a) it's hosted on an old laptop powered by solar energy in germany. if there's not enough sun, the website goes offline. to comment, you need to send an email, which then gets edited into static html.

(b) the articles are calm, to-the-point, and the guy runs the numbers on everything. which really drives home how incredibly wasteful and energy intensive "normal" western life is. like the misting shower article, he calculates that everyone on earth could have an off-grid, wind-powered 4.5 minute hot mist shower every day.

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Oct 8, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
plastics are the one area of all of this where i have cracked but not yet pinged

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

haha holy gently caress

edit: this is so bad it's almost unbelievable. someone debunk this please. that linear red line looks dubious to me, for example.

anyway if it's true hope i live to see it and then immediately check out because YIKES

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Oct 15, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ocean dies, belches up 200 years of excess carbon it's been sucking down

oops! +10 degrees in a decade!

it is doing my head in that the world might literally end right around when i will likely be at the end of my life

am i actually the protagonist of reality? seems likely. wow. did i dream the unive rse omg

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
I CRACK ANEW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

wherrrrrrrrrre is my pinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

bowser posted:

The world is desolate. The last vestiges of humanity cling onto life in their brutal new reality.

Still, Joe Biden tweets.

"Our Build Back Better plan will protect the environment and create jobs."

"It's time for the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. I'm gonna put an end to that."

A photo of himself walking down a hallway purposefully.

listen, jack, there will come soft rains

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Basic Poster posted:

Lmao Putin and bolsonaro and jinping have all dropped from COP 26.

ah well I'm sure cop 27 will be the one

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

awwww, and we were this close to solving climate change! ah well, next time.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
love to see ropey, voluminous earthshots

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
so long suckers! i rev up industrial society and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates humanity is lying completely dead on the pavement

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

capitalism: i'll take that bet

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

God Hole posted:

right now we're at the top of a cresting tsunami. we have about as much chance of stopping the tsunami as we do going back in time to prevent the earthquake that caused it. there are some measures we could take to maximize our potential to survive what's about to happen: "curl into a ball!" some will say "try to body surf your way down!" will say others.

"lol" you say, at peace with the knowledge that you are going to slam face-first into the sand at about 500mph "lmao"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
there are people alive today who will live to see the population quintuple in their lifetimes (~100 year-olds who manage to live another ~20 years)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

blatman posted:

third - goon project invent a time machine

i made the wiki

yesterday

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
looks fukken awesome to me

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Chamale posted:

Extinction Rebellion tried to blockade that airport two weeks ago, nature showed up a little late but she's trying to help.

the waterspout peacefully surrendered to the police afterwards

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that's a beautiful tweet, one for the ages

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"watch to the end and you can rape a child and/or kill a poor person"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i accidentally got a job in australian politics

lol rip

is there a green party anywhere in the world that isn't somewhere on the "captured - neutered" spectrum?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mayor Dave posted:

The really worrisome part of the QAnon movement is that it encourages people to view the world as one giant Da Vinci code. It's addictive, it encourages the community to become more tightly knit, and since it's an amalgam of all the big conspiracy theories anyone who believes in one is susceptible to getting sucked in. Once this stuff gets into the social media dopamine loop it's nearly impossible to dislodge, and because the people who are discussing the theory tend to be active in related spaces their attitude of anger and paranoia spreads to people who haven't even heard of Q. These people are going to continue 'baking' reality and getting increasingly violent and we really don't have a way to stop it.

it's called gamification of the metaverse op

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

WampaLord posted:

Also fairly sure that a crab would not chill out and calmly eat corn if it was being boiled alive

maybe the crab is a bodhisattva

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Alobar posted:

are any of our prolific micro- and nanotoxins able of surviving hundreds of millions of years without breaking down?

also, i'm kind of confused about whether or not plastics biodegrade or just become microplastic because it's just falling to tinier pieces and never going away.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...B8F4339F7C70EC6

the original Silurian hypothesis authors seem to think that plastics and total nuclear war are the best bets for a reliable indicator of past advanced civilization. but the whole point of that paper is that it's really hard to detect that sort of thing. like imagine we cook ourselves, and then you've got a <500 year signal in the stratigraphy subjected to 50M-200M+ years of weathering and tectonics.

anyway i think it's a fun hypothesis. no particular reason that the earth needed to wait exactly this long (-~15,000 years) for a species to evolve intelligence to the point of civilization for the first time.

quote:

An intriguing hypothesis presents itself should any of the initial releases of light carbon described above indeed be related to a prior industrial civilization. As discussed in the section ‘Cretaceous and Jurassic ocean anoxic events’, these releases often triggered episodes of ocean anoxia (via increased nutrient supply) causing a massive burial of organic matter, which eventually became source strata for further fossil fuels. Thus, the prior industrial activity would have actually given rise to the potential for future industry via their own demise. Large-scale anoxia, in effect, might provide a self-limiting but self-perpetuating feedback of industry on the planet. Alternatively, it may be just be a part of a long-term episodic natural carbon cycle feedback on tectonically active planets.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hehe haboob

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
do the food bugs have plastic in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004