Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

it's now spring in australia, a time where all the wild flowers are blooming and insects are pumping away on these flowers. but, where i am, they're not. i was camping on one of islands off the coast last week (stradbroke island) and driving across the island i had no bug splatter on my car - at all. my windscreen was pristine, my bumper was pristine. this is very concerning, espeically for an island that's protected from the over-development and land clearing of the mainland

lmao (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

don't worry capitalism has already solved this

how novel

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZ7rHRifVc

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

dome blowing

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Palladium posted:

could be worse, like used condoms

no doubt, on some isolated island in the southern pacific ocean, there’s a baby albatross with a belly full of discarded cock socks

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

don't forget to vote guys

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i watched planet of the humans before bed last night lmao

we really are pests. but at what point will people start to panic? if at all?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Lost Time posted:

Paraguay is a bit hosed

What's stopping them from making highways to transport all the soy? They're ripping up the forests for soy anyway, may as well throw a coupla roads down. Infrastructure jobs!!!!

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Donziger got 6 months in real jail for contempt of court lmfao, guess it doesn't pay to win a lawsuit against Chevron

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1444013420857204737?s=19

wtf.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

starkebn posted:

It doesn't seem that bad yet, I saw some skinks while walking to get a coffee this morning.

All my garden skinks are MIA this year. being skinkless stinks :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rime posted:

Since everyone is quitting I negotiated concessions to come back and do this last chill job up in Canada, and go home once a month to see my partner instead of once every eleven. I'll negotiate more extreme concessions next week, what are they gonna do, say no when we need to hire 800 field techs next year to build this poo poo on schedule? In this job market? Ok, LOL.

Admittedly it is extremely hard to give up a job which my posting enemies fundamentally cannot publically admit is utterly pointless without in the process admitting that poo poo is past hopeless and were hosed - just to instead go make lovely marvel films or trundle rocks off cliffs above highways or *shudder* go back to Tech. The amount of bullshit eco-green-world-saving moral high ground I get to throw behind my doomsaying nowadays is :black101: compared to the rank hypocrisy I'd be living in my alternative résumés.

More deeply, I don't think I can live with myself if I don't spend the rest of my life raging against the dying of the light with my meager skillset, despite knowing full well everything that is wrong with this approach, so I'm trapped here because the growth-capitalist societal structure being clung to and enforced by the types in our mirror thread denies all opportunity for any alternative path forwards and this is what I can do without risking the premature termination of my life or riding it out in ADX Florence. Obviously I'm not saving the world, but everyone thinks I am, and I cannot psychologically handle idly sitting on a beach burning out till civilization implodes like some Liberal would. Years of protesting and sign waving and activism achieved a world which is demonstrably worse every year, so here I am pretending megawatts at my fingertips is a solution - because the crowd loves it and it assuages my horrific existential guilt of living and consuming in the first world if I don't think too hard. :shrug:

Tune in tomorrow for when I post about how everything is bullshit and I'm quitting it all to spend the remaining five years of my life unemployed, because we're clearly totally hosed and nothing matters lol.

you need a holiday

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao :unsmith:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

discoukulele posted:

Super stoked thinking about what winter is going to be like after losing my electricity for a week last year since Texas has done gently caress all to get ready for the next round. Especially during an energy crisis. Lmao.

oh yeah i forgot about that. lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

he is such a miserable little poo poo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Sylink posted:

Same, I'm a dumb millenial who rents his parents' house. Though maybe in the next few years if some plans work out :lol:

But we have a lot of grass/lawn, and I've slowly been changing it into productive gardens or wild fields with cover crops and the change in wildlife has been stark. Except for the deer who came in and ate the tops off my carrots lmao.

never move out. enjoy the garden

i saw my first christmas beetle in about 5 years yesterday. not sure why i'm seeing it in october though. lmao

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-27/where-have-all-the-christmas-beetles-gone/10669820 lol

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

so close! nearly there!!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i always think about what lovely chemicals and other things that live in a house, just waiting to be absorbed by rising sea levels. think of all the paint, glue and carpet fibres ready to be set free

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Lol houses? I beg you to consider the entertainment value of the various garbage dumps, industry sites, hazardous waste containment facilities, skyscrapers full of office supplies, water treatment plants etc etc etc that all support every coastal city

Houses lmao

i totally forgot about that. i was too wrapped up in the lmao zone thinking about multi million dollar miami homes

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

would the cannibals be climate deniers? i feel like a cannibal would be anti vax

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

luv my petrochemical lifestyle

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://youtu.be/Ec8SJqGd6o0

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

RE: Road dust.

IIRC anyone who spends any significant amount of time driving or lives within 200m (200f?) of a busy roadway is inhaling a dangerous amount of particulates from tyres and roads - Not to mention car exhaust.

I don't have time to read this but a quick skim it looks like it collates some of the studies done on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK361807/

i used to live 1 street back from a main road (in brisbane, australia a main road is a baby freeway, it has 2 lanes going each direction) for 3 years. it gave me asthma and has hosed my lungs. I’ve now moved to the bayside and wfh so don’t have to breath in tyres and diesel fumes constantly. but i still have asthma, although not as bad :shrug:

how good are cars?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Wow weird how the town with the giant coca cola factory slurping up all their ground water has both contaminated poisoned municipal water supplies and an out of control diabetes crisis

weird.

yeh but at least its not pepsi

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Why is BC having such extreme weather this year (apart from the obvious)? Heat waves, now tornados? (lmao)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.aerodefensetech.com/component/content/article/adt/features/articles/28784

literal plastic army men

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Marenghi posted:

I just realised I never heard her speech in full.

The media really covered the "how dare you" part but the rest was conspicuously underreported. No wonder why given what she said.

It's funny how quiet the room gets when she really starts firing up

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is all this conspiracy poo poo happening because people can't control what's happening? Is it the same as all the anti mask/vax dogshit? Will people be protesting to stop "geo-engineering our land away" soon?

we're fukn doomed :laugh:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

that certainly looks sustainable :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I read a book recently called Song for the Blue Ocean by Carl Safina. It's a big book about the overfishing of tuna, the logging of forests and blocking of rivers of salmon and the poisoning/overfishing of reefs in Palau. So it makes sense that fish sizes are decreasing as they're being fished way before reaching any sort of maturity.

The book was ok, woffled a bit, and I was kinda exhausted by the end of it. It was just one shocking gently caress up after an other. Just when you thought one chapter could be worse, the next one trumps it.

I've read a couple of his books, Beyond Words (what animals think and feel) was great. I have the Eye of the Albatross to get into, but I don't think I'm ready to read about birds drowning from drift net fishing or the amount of plastics baby albatrosses are eating just yet. read em if ur keen

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Anyone have any info on under arm deodorants and their impacts of use over time? Nothing like spraying aluminium and nice smelling chemicals on my sensitive hairy folds

Using Axe/Lynx body spray must ruin the chances of breeding, yes?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

starkebn posted:

Meanwhile, the summer in subtropical Australia has been quite mild so far this year, so is climate change really that bad?

I’m waiting for it to flick back to those 37c + high humidity summers of old. Least the rain has stopped any bush fires on the east coast so far…. west coast on the other hand :smith:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

2022 is going to be a very special year :lmao:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

In other news, there's been a shitload of bushland on the mountain ranges behind Cairns being torn up for wind farms: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-12/queensland-wind-farms-clearing-bushland/100683198

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

munce posted:

https://twitter.com/Roolockwood/status/1395595298559315971
"Economists have made-up their own numbers on climate change" based on a "crazy-bad assumption" says Australian economist @ProfSteveKeen
And if they are wrong, "we are screwed."

i can’t view this. why bother geo blocking something on twitter, of all places? especially a news segment? lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

just the dumbest loving species

new thread title?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

If you want some ..uplifting viewing, check out Burning on amazon prime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfyD7ALJtU

Doco about the 2019/2020 Australian bushfires. Seems to be standard of what we can expect from fires in the future, especially in Australia anyway. It's not bad, and worth a watch just to see how utterly hosed this country is.

And be warned, there is some imagery of koalas on fire while alive, koalas with 3rd degrees burns, and the sounds of koalas screaming from being on fire/having 3rd degree burns. So, just be aware. It's loving harrowing and probably the worst part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

apatheticman posted:

Poor syphilis babies :(

those green chlamydia bums are very flamable