Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lmao it kills boring beetles, the scourge of all our trees now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Real hurthling! posted:

lmao it kills boring beetles, the scourge of all our trees now lol

*killed

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Attacked and dethroned

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

God Hole posted:

i'm currently recovering from valley fever, a disease with an accelerating infection rate due to climate change. it sucked because the acute period of the illness had the exact same symptoms as covid, during a global outbreak of covid lol so for months my doctor was giving me all these antibiotics to clear up the "long-covid pneumonia" that was ruining my life, meanwhile this fungus is happily flourishing in my lungs.

as the world heats up, fungi are going to build up a tolerance to heat that may one day eclipse the average body temperature of land mammals. do not worry about the vibrancy of life, friends. fungus will thrive in the world we're leaving behind.
this guy gets it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

ughhhh posted:

Had a lovely conversation with my grandmother today who lives in Nepal. She was really cheerful and talked to me about how much she misses me and how great all her grandchildren are and cant wait to see all of us together one day and feed us a great big feast with produce she grows in her garden. It was really nice :3:

Then i thought about everything that has happened in the past decade. The civil war got me to run from the country to study abroad. Many of my family died. Then half my village got covid and alot of people died. Most of them were older people, women, young kids. Most of the men from the village are in the gulf states working as migrant labor and no one has heard from them. Harvest was awful since the monsoon didn't come as it does, and when it did it washed away a nearby village. No one can plan the rice planting according to the almanac and religious calendar like we used to. The south of the country where we could reliably grow rice in has had a constant series of locust plagues druing the harvest since 2019. Most of the calories these days come from wai wai instant noodles according to the local health post that i keep in contact with. Her home in Kathmandu used to be in the middle of rice fields where i used to catch crawfish and snakes. Now her back garden barely grows anything because its surrounded by multistory houses people have built up which blocks the sunlight. The ground water well that used to water the garden and provide for the house can barely fill up even during the monsoon. The valley of Kathmandu that i left in 2007 used to have a population of under a million with barely any water or energy infrastructure to handle that, now has an unofficial population count of 2 million + with even less infrastructure since the earthquake. My cousins who haven't had a job in years but constantly take care of the family and village managed to bribe and fight their way to a doctor in a health system overwhelmed with covid patients because my grandmother was sick. Im so proud of them. Unfortunately there is nowhere to do a biopsy for the lump in her liver thats definitely cancer because there are no labs in Nepal. So im just here posting

lmao

lol
:( :sympathy:

thank you for posting this. what a dreadful load for you to carry around with you 24/7. this is very thoughts and prayers, but i'm wishing lots of small miracles on your family to get them through the next century.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
this is gaslighting

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Homocow posted:

this is gaslighting

:five:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Boy, doing some house and computer cleanup today so I don't go into full blown depression mode which would be extremely easy right now and let me tell you...

The linear timeline of my browser history since the IPCC report suuuuure does tell a tale.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hey, sincerely thank you for posting this. This thread trends overwhelmingly North American and its great to get some perspective on the poo poo people are dealing with outside of this bubble, without it filtering through a dehumanizing news lens first.

I'm so sorry.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ughhhh posted:

Had a lovely conversation with my grandmother today who lives in Nepal. She was really cheerful and talked to me about how much she misses me and how great all her grandchildren are and cant wait to see all of us together one day and feed us a great big feast with produce she grows in her garden. It was really nice :3:

Then i thought about everything that has happened in the past decade. The civil war got me to run from the country to study abroad. Many of my family died. Then half my village got covid and alot of people died. Most of them were older people, women, young kids. Most of the men from the village are in the gulf states working as migrant labor and no one has heard from them. Harvest was awful since the monsoon didn't come as it does, and when it did it washed away a nearby village. No one can plan the rice planting according to the almanac and religious calendar like we used to. The south of the country where we could reliably grow rice in has had a constant series of locust plagues druing the harvest since 2019. Most of the calories these days come from wai wai instant noodles according to the local health post that i keep in contact with. Her home in Kathmandu used to be in the middle of rice fields where i used to catch crawfish and snakes. Now her back garden barely grows anything because its surrounded by multistory houses people have built up which blocks the sunlight. The ground water well that used to water the garden and provide for the house can barely fill up even during the monsoon. The valley of Kathmandu that i left in 2007 used to have a population of under a million with barely any water or energy infrastructure to handle that, now has an unofficial population count of 2 million + with even less infrastructure since the earthquake. My cousins who haven't had a job in years but constantly take care of the family and village managed to bribe and fight their way to a doctor in a health system overwhelmed with covid patients because my grandmother was sick. Im so proud of them. Unfortunately there is nowhere to do a biopsy for the lump in her liver thats definitely cancer because there are no labs in Nepal. So im just here posting

lmao

lol

your grandmother is awesome

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
trust the fungus

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
In the world I see - you are stalking landcrabs through the damp mushroom forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear sharkskin wetsuits that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick mycelium tendrils that wrap the Willis Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny squid pounding kelp, laying strips of grub meat on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
Paraguay is a bit hosed

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/sep/27/paraguay-severe-drought-depletes-river

quote:

Severe drought that began in late 2019 continues to punish the region while experts say climate change and deforestation may be intensifying the phenomenon

In the shadow of towering grain silos that line the bank of the River Paraná, South America’s second-longest waterway, Lucas Krivenchuk stands watching workers rush to load a barge with soybeans.

“Twelve barges had to leave today, but only six will make it out: there’s no time, the water’s dropping too fast,” said Krivenchuk, general manager of the Trociuk private port in southern Paraguay. “It’s the first time that any have left in two months.”

The Paraná River, which winds through Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina, has dropped to its lowest levels in 77 years as a severe drought that began in late 2019 continues to punish the region. Experts say the climate crisis and deforestation may be intensifying the phenomenon.

The river experienced a temporary rise as Brazil released water from hydroelectric reservoirs for urgent electricity production but levels are rapidly falling.

The drought has threatened water supplies in Argentina, driven up energy prices in Brazil, and helped drive rampant wildfires across the region. Paraguay, which has no coast and relies on its rivers for countless social, environmental, and commercial services, faces dire strain.

“Paraguay is a landlocked country, and the river is an artery in its body that it depends on to live,” said Krivenchuk.

Juan Carlos Muñoz, director of Paraguay’s National Shipping and Ports Administration Body (ANNP) said river transport is central to an economy primarily based on genetically modified soy exports.

“We export commodities with zero added value: totally raw materials. River transport is by far the cheapest way of reaching international markets,” he said.

The world’s third-largest river fleet moves 96% of Paraguay’s international imports and exports along two great waterways, the Paraná and the Paraguay, to and from ports in Argentina and Uruguay.

The Paraguay River, which flows past Muñoz’s office in the capital Asunción, has dropped to its lowest ever level, further than the previous all-time low reached in 2020. With costs escalating, Muñoz said the shipping sector faces a loss of 20% of revenue – $100 million – for the second year running despite dredging initiatives.

The government – which declared a state of emergency on the Paraná in July – has already raised the alarm over rising prices of imported products.

[...]

GGWP. I don't think the water or forests are coming back there in the near or long-term future.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

Hope is a mistake. Obliterate it from your vocab

it can be tricky, I still catch myself trying to use it occasionally and I have decades of practice

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/staradvertiser/status/1443796590297292800?s=21

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1443808499058810880?s=21

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Lost Time posted:

Paraguay is a bit hosed

What's stopping them from making highways to transport all the soy? They're ripping up the forests for soy anyway, may as well throw a coupla roads down. Infrastructure jobs!!!!

lmao

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

Hope is a mistake. Obliterate it from your vocab

False you just need to hope for the right things.

Used in a sentence:

"I hope that when hypercane Gamma hits it kills me in my sleep"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Pft. More optimism masquerading as nihilism.

The hypercane cares not for hopes, it simply shall be.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
imagine getting to give glory to the hypercane but not being awake to experience it. sad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

imagine getting to give glory to the hypercane but not being awake to experience it. sad.

lmao this heretic giving his meager worship to the hypercane when clearly the firenado is proof of the divine

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

yeah thats quality 'go to the beach to watch it' time

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Shiva's forms are myriad, Her wrath empowered by our bacchanalia, Her embrace is inevitable

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Protagonist posted:

Shiva's forms are myriad, Her wrath empowered by our bacchanalia, Her embrace is inevitable

Shiva is a male god

Kali, his consort, would be the appropriate goddess to invoke here

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

D'oh!

Pretend I said that

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

earth is dimming due to climate change

It's about as much more solar radiation staying on earth as the last two decades of human climate forcing. Hahahaha

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

In the world I see - you are stalking landcrabs through the damp mushroom forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear sharkskin wetsuits that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick mycelium tendrils that wrap the Willis Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny squid pounding kelp, laying strips of grub meat on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

This sounds pretty optimistic

I figured it would be a few dregs of humanity licking cave walls for moisture and lichen because outside they have to battle starving acid squids that realized easy human prey stumbles around on the shores looking for food.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Son of Rodney posted:

It's about as much more solar radiation staying on earth as the last two decades of human climate forcing. Hahahaha

quote:

The Earth is now reflecting about half a watt less light per square meter than it was 20 years ago, with most of the drop occurring in the last three years.

Cool. So the cloud layer breakdown forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real
- Started happening in earnest a couple of years ago

lmao

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real

lmao

This is going to keep being true til the end.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Uhmmm technically the earth is not dying because some form of life will still exis-

*turns planet into Venus*

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Sedisp posted:

Uhmmm technically the earth is not dying because some form of life will still exis-

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Hey you never know after all we did find traces of phosphine which suggests psyche it's just sulfur dioxide

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the cloud layer breakdown forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real

lmao

so let me get this straight… you’re saying things aren’t that bad, yet

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sedisp posted:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

I was trying to find out if hothouse earth would eventually cool off so that subterranean or deep cave bacteria could somehow rebuild something over a long enough timescale and ran across this article

https://www.livescience.com/59693-could-earth-turn-into-venus.html
Stephen Hawking: Earth Could Turn Into Hothouse Planet Like Venus

quote:

Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus, with boiling oceans and acid rain, if humans don't curb irreversible climate change, physicist Stephen Hawking claimed in a recent interview.

quote:

But most climate experts say that scenario is a dramatic and implausible exaggeration

quote:

Without a thick carbon dioxide atmosphere and the extra dose of solar radiation from the sun, only willful malice is likely to cause a runaway greenhouse scenario, said Kevin Zahnle, a space scientist at NASA Ames Research Center, who has analyzed runaway greenhouse projections for the planet.

Thankfully humanity isn't known for it's willful malice or anything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I was trying to find out if hothouse earth would eventually cool off so that subterranean or deep cave bacteria could somehow rebuild something over a long enough timescale and ran across this article

https://www.livescience.com/59693-could-earth-turn-into-venus.html
Stephen Hawking: Earth Could Turn Into Hothouse Planet Like Venus

Thankfully humanity isn't known for it's willful malice or anything

i mean he's right though we'd have to have like, planetary concerted efforts to do that imo

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thank god we will never have planetary concerted efforts to destroy our environment

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Son of Rodney posted:

even better is that if we do stop other dimming aerosols mostly from fossil fuels, we get even warmer faster

:rubby:

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Oct 1, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thank god we will never have planetary concerted efforts to destroy our environment

i get you're being pithy but we're really not, this is "just" a side effect of capitalism

we can absolutely change the environment enough to kill everything but that still wouldn't be enough to make it into a venus

hawking was smart but he wasnt a climate scientist

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

If you think about it, it's crazy inefficient how much energy we are losing that's just being reflected back into space

hopefully we can get that disgusting albedo number below 10 % in a couple of decades

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

i get you're being pithy but we're really not, this is "just" a side effect of capitalism

we can absolutely change the environment enough to kill everything but that still wouldn't be enough to make it into a venus

hawking was smart but he wasnt a climate scientist

I don't give a poo poo about stephen hawking, just the fact that humans acting extremely confident about the climate has never worked out

especially when it's a bunch of nerds who can't get over the fact the sun is further away therefore the calculations in simulations will never be the same between the two planets when we aren't doing this naturally, are doing it quickly and are using technology to make it worse.

So I'll believe these people claiming that it's impossible, forever, when they make one single correct prediction about the insane poo poo that is happening or somehow prove they are accounting for all possible geo-engineering when they go "Venus +100 Sun Earth -100 Sun" then do some atmospheric gas modeling while jerking off and being wrong about everything else except this apparently.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I don't give a poo poo about stephen hawking, just the fact that humans acting extremely confident about the climate has never worked out

especially when it's a bunch of nerds who can't get over the fact the sun is further away therefore the calculations in simulations will never be the same between the two planets when we aren't doing this naturally, are doing it quickly and are using technology to make it worse.

So I'll believe these people claiming that it's impossible, forever, when they make one single correct prediction about the insane poo poo that is happening or somehow prove they are accounting for all possible geo-engineering when they go "Venus +100 Sun Earth -100 Sun" then do some atmospheric gas modeling while jerking off and being wrong about everything else except this apparently.

ok if you want to just believe random people making unproven claims about the planet that's fine but don't act like it's any kind of guarantee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
two skeletons walk into a bar

first skeleton says "Well what do you know about us destroying life on earth with runaway greenhouse gases making it a hothouse planet"
second skeleton says "um actually "Hothouse" is evocative of Venus and Earth could never be classified in the same tier of "Hothouse" as Venus due to the fact that Venus is closer to the sun that earth. The amount of solar radiation absorbed by Venus is so much more than Earth with a different atmosphere concentration that really Earth could never possibly be considered to have done the same thing as Venus and if you want to suggest this is hypothetically possible then I really need more background than that. The original cited scientist wasn't actually a climate scientist and the variables aren't exactly going in your favor by comparing solar apples to solar oranges.