Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

start bombing factories

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8fGHDAHtQ

think im gonna roll a big fat doink and go watch army of darkness

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

climate change is coming for the beans

now its personal

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

yeah i got a carbon

a carbon my fr*cken weed bowl :420: :snoop:

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

i prefer a 90s era caramello, before they royally hosed with the flavor

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

two skeletons walk into a bar

first skeleton says "Well what do you know about us destroying life on earth with runaway greenhouse gases making it a hothouse planet"
second skeleton says "um actually "Hothouse" is evocative of Venus and Earth could never be classified in the same tier of "Hothouse" as Venus due to the fact that Venus is closer to the sun that earth. The amount of solar radiation absorbed by Venus is so much more than Earth with a different atmosphere concentration that really Earth could never possibly be considered to have done the same thing as Venus and if you want to suggest this is hypothetically possible then I really need more background than that. The original cited scientist wasn't actually a climate scientist and the variables aren't exactly going in your favor by comparing solar apples to solar oranges.

and then a third skeleton is all like hey yall check it out i got a boner. lol. lmao.

hes had too much to drink probably

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

walking into the middle of a dennys and screaming "goku" at no-one in particular to fight climate change

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

check out my new app where u can hire a contractor to run into the nearest Denny's location and scream "goku" at varying volumes for as long as you can afford

this is equal to reducing ur carbon footprint by 600 megatons or something

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

pro click

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

from the creators of the award winning "hollerin about climate change at dennys" app comes a NEW paradigm in carbon offset app slacktivism. subscribe now and one of our dedicated engineers will operate up to 40 carbon offset apps on your behalf reducing your carbon footprint at blazing fast speeds.

we offer scalable solutions that meet your needs at any level from driving to work to the unmitigated dumping of polyfluoroalkyl directly into your communities rivers and water tables!

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

its my stepdaughters birthday today

in 23 years shell be as old as i am now. the planet will be...irrevocably shittier than it is now. i wonder if she too will be breaking down as i am now.

no moral

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

has neoliberalism fixed climate change yet?

fixed? its going to print trillions of dollars as it is.

if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

i microwaved broccoli in plastic tupperware for lunch

:getin:

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Serf posted:

was thinking about this little bit from half-life 2 recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAGrDkuJ0QQ

"Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud?"

hits different today

combine destroyed capitalistic human society in 7 hours

sterilization

jobs program

metrocops beat you for littering

train-based transit and shipping

dr. breen did nothing wrong

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

lol

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Tabletops posted:

nano particles you breath can enter your brain via your olfactory nerve. 50% attach and travel up into your brain in about 4 days. with some particulates, up to 30% of of what you breathed would attach to your olfactory nerve.

60% of nano particle you breath that enter your lungs will pass into your bloodstream in 2 days.

nanoparticulates in general are poorly studied, vastly underestimated in terms of human health.

so many industries create nanoparticulates that are basically unknown to science but logically exist. regulators don’t care about particulates smaller than .3 microns. even though we know that particles smaller than that are far worse for human health. once you’re in that range where particles can pass through your skin, hitch rides on nerves, accumulate in your eyes , enter your blood stream from your lungs. it’s pretty hosed up.

did junji ito write this

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Xaris posted:

hell yeah

idk how anyone can go around with doom mindset. everything is far too interesting to be going about your life in doom, and we're so lucky. it's a treasure trove of scientific curiosity and marvel with global genetic history being rewritten in real time; the inner workings of the planet being unraveled and exposed for study. think of how few sapient life there is, and then think of how even fewer sapient life, across the universe and whatever other alternate universes, will ever experience complete self-made biosphere collapse going from nearly 0-to-100 within their very lifespan. like it's like winning a super megamillions lotto thousands of times consecutively.

and if you just want to live a life sized appropriately for your dumb rear end meat suit

steamrolling literally everything with a wave of interconnected consequences too complex to fully understand and too powerful to ever avert sounds like the same exact brand of cosmic horseshit that the universe has been shoveling since the arrow of time was shat out of the hyper-buttcheeks of two p-branes colliding, whats coming for us is rote at this point.

but yeah the sickos get to watch i guess. i just want to grill for gods sake.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Dec 25, 2021

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

thread, any idea why it seemed to speed up as of 2008 or 2009? was that the obama fracking thing?

drill baby drill

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

NotPerfect posted:

What's with the hope cope and antidoomerism talking points being pushed recently? These editorials seem to ignore current trends of global warming and having false hope that science/capitalism will save us. It's an ecological version of supply side economics where investing in expensive pipe dreams in order for them to become less expensive pipe dreams. Hell even Chapo seem to be on board with it as seen in the episode with authors of The People's Republic of Walmart. We're essentially taking the Ls by just accepting temperature increases as mild inconvenience rather than an existential threat. The Kurzgesagt literally minimizes the threat and act that all we have to do is some infrastructure change to prevent collapse. They literally have a video on how we can't prevent climate change but hey that's a bummer, let's gaslight the population into accepting climate catastrophe because it could have been an even worse catastrophe. Like sure we might not hit 8 degree increase but that doesn't mean whatever temperature average we raise to is okay or even livable. The goal posts are being move from 1.5 to 3 and it will be moved up when we hit 3 and so on and so on.

we have to be optimistic. we have no choice.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

just crank & touch graphs

sea ice extent going full joker grin

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

jetz0r posted:

So the thing to remember with old machines like this (and bicycles) is that they're very simple machines at heart.

good advice here. id also add that the sewing machine mechanism needs to be correctly "timed" in order for it to properly form stitches and run consistently. an out of time machine can present with a range of signs, for example as a subtle skipped stitch to the much more overt needle colliding with the rotating hook and bringing the whole operation to a catastrophic halt.

with that in mind, its definitely possible to make a problem worse (but not impossible to fix) if you dont know what you are taking apart and you can end up "chasing your tail" where one adjustment will cause one symptom to disappear and introduce another (programmers dilemma).

theres usually a few different processes you can follow to safely adjust the timing of a machine yourself depending on the specific issue the machine is having, youtube is often a decent resource for this. even if you cant find a specific machine a clone or ancestor machine may have a similar process you can adapt. of course, consulting an expert on these matters is never a bad idea. a properly serviced and timed machine will kick out millions of perfect stitches.

id also add if OP plans on running this machine for any serious amount of time they should consider upgrading to a servo motor with variable speed control if they havent already, it will be vastly superior to the old clutch motor in power and precision. a steel framed machine like that with a servo motor would likely be able to sew through several layers of leather with the right needle and if it had the clearance for it under the foot.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 11:01 on May 28, 2022

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

looks to me like the badness of things is not yet quantified

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao this feels exactly like the "countdown to the rapture" sites and poo poo like that.

It's not wrong (though I don't know about the countdowns), but still

reminded me of (the now defunct) deoxy.org, but for extinction.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

the easiest way to wrap a pallet is make the new guy do it

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

the oceans on fire again

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/humpback-whale-fran-killed-17407696.php

quote:

Schulman-Janiger reached out to her friend Ted Cheeseman, who founded an online database tracking whales around the world, and he confirmed the worst — Fran, California's best-known, lovable whale, a favorite among scientists and whale watchers, was killed by what was likely a brutal ship strike. Fran was in great shape and well-nourished with a full body of blubber, but her skull was knocked off her spine, likely by a ship, according to the necropsy. Her only child was with her and it's unknown whether it survived.

:shepface:

seems pretty fuckin biosphere collapse to run down a whale in a boat. we a need a "gently caress boating" thread.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Sep 1, 2022

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

yeah "gently caress boat" sounded way too cool when i wrote it, had to tone it appropriately

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Microplastics are a known endocringe disruptor.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

FFT posted:

secretly?

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Sep 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

reach heaven through

TACD posted:

[redacted]