Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Hello

I have a Lenovo Edge E131, it has been having intermittent booting issues for around a year. As in the thing will not even POST. The fan will spin up, the dvd drive will get power and seemingly everything starts up but then it sits at a black screen with the display off. When it does boot the screen immediately turns on and the POST runs without issue. This did show up several months after I replaced the keyboard but I am going to assume they are unrelated.

It seems to be stuck in a loop, everything powers up for a couple seconds then it shutsoff and restarts. It repeats this several times before completely shutting off.

Things I have tried:
Note: Removals happened one at a time, as in I only removed one piece of hardware at a time and attempted to boot the machine to see the result.

- Removed CMOS battery
- Removed one stick of RAM, repeated with other stick.
- Swapped RAM sticks positions
- Placed one stick into either slot
- Removed DVD drive
- Removed SSD
- Removed WLAN card
- Disconnected CPU fan

Beyond replacing the keyboard due to keys being broken, I also have replaced the RAM, redid thermal paste (temps never show high when it does boot), replaced HDD hybrid with SSD, and just today replaced the CMOS battery (I did try the old one with some of these combinations in the past).

So I am basically at the point where I am pretty sure the main board needs to be replaced which assuming the CPU is not soldered down basically means the only thing stock that will be left are the speakers, WLAN card and screen. The caveat is that a new main board is around 150-200 bux. I am getting to the point where I am about to throw it out but wondering if anyone has any ideas what possibly could be causing this.

I am trying to convince the person whos computer this is that they should just buy a new laptop but they are adamant on getting it fixed (its a family member :rip:).

CORRECTION: This is Lenovo ThinkPad E431 Edge not a E131

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Real quick, how long are you giving each boot attempt? Changing ram, clearing cmos both take longer to boot, sometimes a minute or so. Also can you still get it to boot once in a while or is it dead now?

Im suspecting ram, or a ram slot? Or gpu/cpu/chipset slightly out of spec pullup somewhere... board replacement.

I had an Edge in the shop that has a sllllllllightly malformed ram slot finger. I had to very carefully bend the copper out so it would contact the pad on the ram pcb. It would be perfectly fine on boot, but then if you tapped the right spot or jostle the machine too much it would freeze.

Edges are pretty unique but kinda unimpressive anymore. Save for better IMO.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

down1nit posted:

Real quick, how long are you giving each boot attempt? Changing ram, clearing cmos both take longer to boot, sometimes a minute or so. Also can you still get it to boot once in a while or is it dead now?

Im suspecting ram, or a ram slot? Or gpu/cpu/chipset slightly out of spec pullup somewhere... board replacement.

I had an Edge in the shop that has a sllllllllightly malformed ram slot finger. I had to very carefully bend the copper out so it would contact the pad on the ram pcb. It would be perfectly fine on boot, but then if you tapped the right spot or jostle the machine too much it would freeze.

Edges are pretty unique but kinda unimpressive anymore. Save for better IMO.

Been giving each boot cycle around 10 seconds, actually just got it to boot and it immediately went into the BIOS as the CMOS battery got pulled. I checked and it recognized the two RAM slots, video is some intel thing so most likely uses the cpu in conjunction.

It was doing some type of boot loop where it would boot for 5 seconds then reboot and do this around 15 times before finally shutting off. But suddenly it stopped doing that and now sits idle as it did before.

If it does boot it usually shows the bios self test screen within 3 seconds but it seems to be random when it does boot.

Going to replace the motherboard, attempting to convince my family members that computers are disposable and they would be much happier with a new laptop or better yet a tablet is impossible.