Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They have never banned a creature from Standard simply because it attacks for too much damage. Slickshot might force other decks to change their choice of removal, but it's certainly not getting banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Chamale posted:

They have never banned a creature from Standard simply because it attacks for too much damage. Slickshot might force other decks to change their choice of removal, but it's certainly not getting banned.

yeah, its just a good RDW-card. its not the only one in this set, tbh, which is about time - most variants of RDW haven't changed any cards after Eldraine

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Either you're swinging with it turn 2 for one damage, or taking turn two off so it can swing in for more turn three. When comparing it to swiftspear two mana is a lot more than one

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

yeah, its just a good RDW-card. its not the only one in this set, tbh, which is about time - most variants of RDW haven't changed any cards after Eldraine

Inti took Feldon's place, and the bird will probably replace the 2/2 vampire

The real question is what's replacing Kumano and Epicure when rotation hits?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The 2/2 vampire is so so boring but like once in a blue moon she gets you an extra lightning bolt or face zap to win a lost game. Still, will be glad to replace her with something more consistently fun.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Will be interesting if it warps what that deck looks like, enjoyed Jim Davis's take where he splashed green for the instant 1 cmc indestructible cards. Excited to try it out in a Double Strikers deck I've got built around Angelfire Ignition.

The fact that you can plot it and also hold those protection spells up (either in Green or Blue) I think makes it much stronger - but it'll play like a combo deck. Either you have the Slickshot and those protection spells available or you don't.

It's certainly gonna have a home in RDW, but I think the all-in deck splashing green or blue with it could be even stronger

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, it played less like RDW and more like infect.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like the biggest thing it offers is the ability to plot it and save it for later after you exhaust their removal, or use it once you've got enough protection to get the win with the swing.

The haste is huge for that

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Having played a few games, it's also very funny when the opponent just sits there letting you beat them to death with a Kumano token because you have four cards plotted.

"Cast plotted Slickshot, it gets countered, cast second Slickshot from hand" is very strong.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Yeah, it played less like RDW and more like infect.

Speaking of, I wonder if it might be enough to push a Jund infect deck in modern.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if it might be enough to push a Jund infect deck in modern.

That sounds pretty sick. Tainted Strike plus any of the +4/+X spells gets there on its own, and there are at least a couple of those at 1mv and several more at 2mv.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

mossyfisk posted:

Having played a few games, it's also very funny when the opponent just sits there letting you beat them to death with a Kumano token because you have four cards plotted.

"Cast plotted Slickshot, it gets countered, cast second Slickshot from hand" is very strong.

I kept a 1 lander on the draw against UW control and didn't consistently draw land. Ended up plotting 2 Slickshots and setting up a lethal turn where I Scorching Shot their Ledger Shredder on turn 6. It's amazing that you can sit around and do nothing against a control deck and still win with an explosive turn. Unless they are holding all of the counter magic they can still lose.

I can totally see sideboards adapting to hate this card out though.

If anyone is curious, aspiringspike shared his prowess list on stream today while he was playing Satoru:

He's still going strong by the way so maybe he'll get to it today. As always, it's a spike list so your mileage my vary wildly. He builds his lists for him

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol turned gold into two drafts on arena and went a blistering 1-6. Good thing it’s the cowboy set because I got RANCHED

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

what do y'all like for custom tokens

infinitokens are cool and functional but i kind of want to get some cool art instead. searching around i've found original magic art, which looks neat, and a whole bunch of people stealing art or generating ai to sell stuff on etsy and it's kind of hard to dig through the chaff to find people who are legitimate there. want to see what else is out there.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mezzanon posted:

lol turned gold into two drafts on arena and went a blistering 1-6. Good thing it’s the cowboy set because I got RANCHED

I went 4-3(orzhov) and 2-3(selesnya) but my losses were literally all due to flood/screw because arena is a motherfucker

Other than that, I really like the format. It's not ridiculously aggro like most of the sets from the last 3 years, and it's also not horribly grindy like the other sets from the last 3 years. It feels balanced and fun, with no color seeming overwhelmingly more powerful than the others, with maybe green being slightly stronger than the others but not comically so.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Southern Cassowary posted:

what do y'all like for custom tokens

infinitokens are cool and functional but i kind of want to get some cool art instead. searching around i've found original magic art, which looks neat, and a whole bunch of people stealing art or generating ai to sell stuff on etsy and it's kind of hard to dig through the chaff to find people who are legitimate there. want to see what else is out there.
MPC is who I used on advice of the thread
I used magic set editor to make the images

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Silhouette posted:

I went 4-3(orzhov) and 2-3(selesnya) but my losses were literally all due to flood/screw because arena is a motherfucker
You always draw the right amount of lands in paper?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

MPC is who I used on advice of the thread
I used magic set editor to make the images

nah i'm not looking for proxies, more like unofficial tokens with cool art where i'm supporting the artist

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the easiest way to do that is to find some art that you like and pay the artist directly, then take that to mpc

the market for "bootleg mtg tokens" has gotta be so tiny, the only people able to actually make money off it are the people who don't actually pay anything for the art they're putting on it. so your choices are people that will put customer-supplied art on cardstock that they print for you (honest folk), and people that just take art without paying for it (crooks).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

nah i'm not looking for proxies, more like unofficial tokens with cool art where i'm supporting the artist

Depends on what you're looking for, but I like CatsAndCantrips tokens at least. I've got a set of those for a few decks

edit: though admittedly I'm not sure those ones qualify as cool

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 17, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I pay full price for my tokens. If you think I am going to use something other than an unglued token , like some peasant, then I don’t know what to tell you. My legion player reward goblin token each have a unique god given name and birth certificate.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Some MTG artists like Johannes Voss and Magali Villenueve have Patreons with monthly tokens. This month's Magali token is a Klimt-inspired treasure token.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Simply Simon posted:

You always draw the right amount of lands in paper?

no, but I also don't spend the right amount of money on arena

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

RK post sells tokens on his website that are pretty sick, and I'm sure other mtg artists do as well

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
+1 for RK Post tokens. I love the pop culture references. They might not be up everyone’s alley but I dig em.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ten turns of drawing 2-drops and lands while this beaut and the rest of the top end just sat somewhere in the library. :qq:.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Silhouette posted:

no, but I also don't spend the right amount of money on arena

i get this complaint about not having enough wildcards for a better manabase but I thought you were complaining about draft decks

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

My first draft ended with a 2-3 due to Overwhelming Forces. Really fun and interactive

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mae posted:

My first draft ended with a 2-3 due to Overwhelming Forces. Really fun and interactive

It's also really, really, REALLY hard to play a 8 mana card in a draft deck

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

flatluigi posted:

i get this complaint about not having enough wildcards for a better manabase but I thought you were complaining about draft decks

I wasn't complaining about anything, and that was a joke about the arena conspiracy theory

Mae posted:

:hmbol:

I was wrong, I forgot that one of my draft losses was due to this exact thing so I feel you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you lose to an 8 mana spell that’s on you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Format seems great, black seems quite good

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I'm realizing I should probably put together a white deck in Arena, just so I can focus down on those challenges.

Is an Eriette auras deck, preferably using both Eriettes, as terrible an idea as it sounds? And if not, where can I find a reference for what one might look like?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

So I'm realizing I should probably put together a white deck in Arena, just so I can focus down on those challenges.

Is an Eriette auras deck, preferably using both Eriettes, as terrible an idea as it sounds? And if not, where can I find a reference for what one might look like?

Arena thread might be able to help more, especially if you're thinking about a Brawl deck:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011157

The only Arena person I know of that does a lot of Brawl is Amazonian

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Format seems great, black seems quite good

Orzhov is super fun, especially if you get bertram and kambal on the field at the same time

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Slickshot Show-Off is climbing up to 20 bucks. This is silly. Its maybe going to be half that in a week and half that again in a month. Don't get hosed.

I think the full art fast lands are going to be a great pickup by next week.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Sickening posted:

I think the full art fast lands are going to be a great pickup by next week.

Seconding this. Opened 17 boxes for the store I work at, and we got four full art lands total. Even the regular ones aren't bad, though, and they're pretty much always going to be decent, so now is as good a time as any to grab them in bulk.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Mae posted:

I read this while watching Gabe Nassif streaming a draft where he had Overwhelming Forces in his deck. Let's just assume you were playing against him in which case the odds were against you at the start of the game, so don't feel too bad. :v:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

Other than that, I really like the format. It's not ridiculously aggro like most of the sets from the last 3 years, and it's also not horribly grindy like the other sets from the last 3 years. It feels balanced and fun, with no color seeming overwhelmingly more powerful than the others, with maybe green being slightly stronger than the others but not comically so.

Immediately 3-0’d the local paper draft with a mid-tier draft deck.

I do agree with your sentiments about the format though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Just went 6-3 with a green deck with a single red card. It's just one draft but idk about this set. Every game I won was dumb (playing a larger man than my opponent) and two of the games I lost were dumb. One I didn't hit my curve perfectly and one I got hit with that guaranteed 4-for-1 black rare. Of course the game had to get to the point where they had that much mana, but every game did -- I just put big guys on the board until I could give them trample and swing for the kill on like turn 10. The only cool game was a loss to a WB deck that had a couple of fliers and enough removal to shut down my reach creatures