Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Klowner posted:

Lmao at his phrasing

closest mark will ever get to going 'oh my god please stop asking me this question every loving day'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
selesnya humans is getting a decent push in standard atm and it's using a Bunch of different sets

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how exactly did you do that math

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it also doesn't appear to be on amazon, unless you're talking about this listing from a reseller

edit: which isn't even convention edition

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 8, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

meanolmrcloud posted:

The davriels withering change ruins my vesperlark/withering/meathook combo deck :(

it's explicitly to kill the vesperlark infinite, yeah

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Panderfringe posted:

I mean ,that was the point of digital cards.

The revelations about their plans to "patch" banned cards for arena is a bad idea, imo. It confirms for me their intent to make arena a casual and digital only format. I definitely expect digital-only standard cards within the next few releases.

they seem like they want to do things with *historic* as a digital only format (since it is) but I really doubt they will bleed that over into formats that you can play in paper, like standard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nothing about tibalt's trickery was an accident, they do slot machine red cards decently often (see chaos warp and lukka). they didn't even make it good; trickery decks were at sub-45% winrates because of how often they'd fizzle

throes of chaos is what finally actually made the deck successful by letting you drop all the cards that would make the combo fizzle, but it also made it more vulnerable seeing as now you had to wait until turn 4 for the combo instead of turn 2

still, glad to see it go

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1448667016986959879

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don't really see why it's that different from the Commander Legends partners but w/e it's a moot point anyway

the point is that if they just had 'partner' you could pair them with any other currently printed partner commander in the game, and 'partners with' only allows for a set pair (where these are intended to be mix and match within their pool)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I Before E posted:

Very strange choice to go all in on mechanically unique cards instead of going with the Godzilla Series approach, especially when these mechanically unique cards kind of blow mechanically.

they're putting out rethemed non secret lair versions in the future unless you mean something else by 'the godzilla approach'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i before e just wants them to be reprints and not new cards, which is understandable, but the TWD cards sold incredibly well apparently and this is at least a way to get unthemed versions out there while the ip holders insist on getting new cards

good news though, the fortnite cards are gonna all be reprints

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

This article by Maro finally puts to rest the meaning of the words "flicker", "rummaging" and "freeze while confirming Maro has no sense of history and has renamed "skulking" to "illusion ability"

the changes article is a better read, with maro detailing every single update
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2021-changes-2021-10-18

particularly, everything you mention including the 'illusion ability' text has been there since 2017

my highlight is that they're going to start giving blue vigilance creatures, which is neat

edit: if anyone's interested, a big compilation of every historical color pie post went up the other day as well https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/lets-talk-color-pie-2021-10-11

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 19, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
all secret lairs have an extra card iirc, some of which are exclusive

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of sisters on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

yes, 'sisters'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
crack a token, proliferate

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I really love that design

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's some loving good abrade art

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dreylad posted:

I sold all my old magic cards and was thinking of spending a bit of that money picking up a couple of decks just to play around with my friend who played back in the day. I admit to being incredibly dumb but I can't really figure out where to start now. I started playing magic when we picked up two random 60 card decks, but now you can buy prebuilt or something called commander? I've read a few getting started guides or what's on the MTG website but it's not really clear.

there are a lot of formats these days (both official and unofficial) because there's a LOT of cards out there and having ways to cut down the size of card availability leads to variety in gameplay.

commander, specifically, is a very popular format meant to be played in long, 4 player sessions where everyone has a legendary creature as commander they can play repeatedly (with escalating cost) and the rest of the deck is singleton (restricted to the colors of said commander). it's pretty fun and you sure can just play it 1v1 if you want

really it depends on if you're planning on playing with anyone other than your friend b/c if you just want to play them with a bunch of random cards regardless of their individual legality you can just do that with whatever you pick up (but imo you probably should've figured out what cards you'd want to keep out of your old collection in that case)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
usually you'll see "up to one" templated so that you can still cast the spell with zero targets, so that if (say) you had a spell that would put +1/+1 counters on a creature and draw a card you could still draw without pumping your opponent's creature if you didn't have any

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ngl i feel like people are treating blood tokens like they did food before eldraine actually came out (that is, really cold on something that ended up being solid in practice), but that's still a weird card especially because most of the blood cards we've seen are in black not white

my gut says he really should've at least come down and made X+1 blood tokens instead of X

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

from the weekly mtg stream

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

They've tied Maro up in an office chair and are printing this card while he kicks and screams

please stop being weird about maro

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

maro fuckin haaaaaaaates Mentor of the Meek because he thinks white shouldn't get to draw cards ever, google
code:
mentor of the meek  site:[url]https://markrosewater.tumblr.com[/url]
to get a taste of the insanity

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/183794563223/if-mentor-of-the-meek-is-a-break-in-white-would-a

though it seems the rest of dev has finally talked some sense into him OR hogtied him and left him in a ditch, and that's why white has finally gotten some looks at card draw recently

no don't

yeah dude he absolutely hates it, feel the anger

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

Sorry Mark, just kidding.

someone asking you not to be weird shouldn't be your cue to double down

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what about that odric card is aggro or equipment-based

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I played paper Magic a lot back in 2000-2005 or so then just recently (5-6 months ago) got into playing on Arena. Somehow I've never paid any attention to the "lore" of Magic but y'all talking about these characters makes me interested. Is there anything actually worth reading? I can't shake this feeling that it is all likely poo poo but I don't know as I do love the game.

some of it's alright, some of it's terrible, but it's long-running enough that there's enough good here and there that people got invested in those bits

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

uggy posted:

Lmfao 0/2 these last two pages incredible

did you quote the right post? i don't really understand what you're saying about my question

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Arivia posted:

this is incredibly underwhelming. a planeswalker that only cares about tokens and can't reliably create creature tokens. yikes.

i think they're probably overcorrecting on three mana planeswalkers as a delayed response to t3feri and oko

the new chandra is also somewhat weak

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it doubles all tokens, not just creature tokens, so it works with all those blood tokens going around

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's been associated with making spirits here and there

i think the flavor is she's freeing them?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pioneer died because it was introduced right before everyone shifted to arena because of the pandemic and I think it'll get resuscitated when it ends up on arena as its paper extended format just like brawl did, especially with historic becoming more and more like arena legacy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Huxley posted:

I really think they've gone crazy pants with Historic specifically because they want to make room for a Historic/Pioneer/Standard split that provides three very different feeling formats. It'll take some time, no doubt, but I believe them when they say Pioneer on Arena is coming, and they expect to support it fully.

yeah, from chat from the devs this is the idea

I just wish standard releases were coming a bit slower so they had more time to build and implement the pioneer backfill sets

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Arivia posted:

Okay, there are literally no W/B 1 or 2 CMC spells that create a creature token immediately for Kaya to curve off of (at least that I see looking at the spoiler maybe I missed something). Honestly what the hell Wizards? There's got to be some kind of a Development fuckup there for sure.

here's the search you want: https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Avow+o%3Atoken+color%3C%3Dorzhov&unique=cards&as=grid&order=cmc

i think you're overstating it
- her +1 does put a counter on a creature token, but it still gives deathtouch to your creatures, token or not
- kaya's -2 doubles all tokens, not just creature tokens (meaning it works with blood tokens)
- that -2 is something you'll want to play the turn after you put kaya down anyway, with more mana open; waiting for t4/5 to cast kaya and a 1 or 2 cmc spell on the same turn you -2 her is probably not worth it even if those spells were there

either way it's probably okay in limited (i could see splashing her if you're in a blood token deck) but i think the design is more for token strategies in general

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah i don't really see the huge upside of a 3/3 for 3 that conditionally drains for 1 per turn, that conditionally is a 4/4 that can drain for 2

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is meaningless to Arena players. Every rare costs one Rare wildcard, the cost of the card is immaterial.

I haven't been able to make a competitive Standard deck all year, playing Arena exclusively.

what exactly are you doing with all the rewards you get for playing arena that are keeping you from making a deck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Paul Zuvella posted:

People getting covid is going to be a normal part of human existence from now until the end of time, regardless of how many people are vaccinated. Eventually the collective internet will stop using it as an opportunity to score some sick dunk points.

holy poo poo are we really at the point of 'people only care about covid to score points on the internet'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh yeah i'm unfortunately aware it's not a new thing in general, i mean it more as 'this thread is usually fairly bad but this is new depths'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/unfinity-and-beyond-2021-11-29

it was gestured at above but some of the cards including some new cards in Unfinity will be eternal-legal which is why they're doing acorn holomark/oval or no holomark to distinguish

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

do you want to elaborate on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
did the universes beyond cards with the triangle holomarks have black borders?