Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What do you think it is by default before it becomes day or night?

Lunch imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

neaden posted:

On keywords, I'm kind of surprised they never keyworded "When ~ enters the battlefield".

Same tbh. I have to assume they’ve tested it and found that it’s easier to just write the ETB phrase on the cards than to shortcut it into a word and tell players what it means. They’ve said not bombarding new players with new phrases is why they try to avoid using keywords even if they use the effect (eg. the surveil opt not actually having the word surveil on it) except in a few cases like that newish Tezzeret who has Affinity for Artifacts.

I kind of like Arrives as a shortcut tho lol. “When Primeval Titan arrives or attacks…” I guess there’s value in being super explicit tho, I could see new players getting confused if blinking a card causes it to arrive etc.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 21, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I feel the same way but tbh i understand it, there are so many keywords already and its not a long phrase

Ya 100%

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hey mom its 420 posted:

but what if he had a flipped and unflipped delver :ohdear:

Remove one or concede imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol I was so wrong about W7. This card rocks. It's still mostly honeymoon so maybe standard will suck eventually, but right now I'm loving it. It's no nice not playing against memory lapse smile

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, both cards are really strong on their own and combo to be an absolute backbreaker. I've also been impressed with some Lesson/Learn stuff, the ramp options feel really strong in GW.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol I don’t think Chariot or W7 is gonna get banned guys

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I want to try that UR turns deck with a Poppet guy in it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I bought a prerelease kit and built a sealed deck with it for playing at home, and Poppet is really fun. Probably not good enough for any constructed format because it needs to survive a whole turn, but in UB tokens in limited, they priced decayed tokens so cheap that it's easy to get a lethal amount of 3/3s.

Yeah, I'm not sure. My gut says that getting at minimum 3x 3/3s on your Epiphany turn(s) (something like six if you're copying it, right? Two from the casts, four from the Epiphany) is pure win-more, but that does basically just close any game out instantly. It also gives you enough punching power that you can turn a Hall into an Island. I'll probably do a fun or two of even if it's strictly worse than what I took out to fit them in. I think long term even if it does lose me a game here or there the equity from not having PTSD flashbacks of winning Nexus games by swinging with a 1/1 army token over and over will work out.

EDIT: 3 toughness on the stitcher does let it block a lot of annoying early game poo poo...

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 24, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

seem kinda win more to me, and turns on your opponent's otherwise dead removal spells. the thing I love most about creatureless control decks is that my opponent starts the game on at least one mulligan

That's true.

mikeraskol posted:

Poppet is really fun card design.

Ya, every single entry into the Yung Pyromancy style of card design has been really fun and cool imo

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 24, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've been thoroughly enjoying that UR Turns deck (although I switched my mana around to run Frostbite) and I spent the past like 20 games griping about how bad Divide by Zero was and not understanding why it was in the list over Into the Roil but not wanting to swap it out until I just now two seconds ago realized that it can also target spells lmfao.

The deck seems really good. I like the matchup against all the control decks and the ramp decks (Mind Flayering a Wrenn token feels great) but the RG aggressive decks really take it to me. The stupid jetpack wolf has a huge fat rear end when it's night and the haste effect really gives me headaches. Not sure if I need to adjust my MB/SB or just play differently or just accept that the hasty deck with beefy hasty creatures is strong against a creatureless control deck that can't wrath until t5.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 26, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Is there any budget friendly/fun modern decks out there that you can show up to FNM and not go 0-4 with?

Our shop is opening up and only doing Modern FNM's for now and as someone who doesn't follow the format is it even worth shelling out $100/$150 just to have something fun to play?

Paper magic is always a good time even if you 0-4!

Like most MTG formats it's definitely pay-to-win, but I've heard good things about the budget decks on Goldfish:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper

I wouldn't take any of these to a MTGO Challenge or whatever, but if you're just messing around at your LGS and don't want to spend a ton of money these will probably do you alright.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

teppichporsche posted:

please elaborate

80 bucks of Ragavan is worth more than 80 bucks of jank. LG is right, but I don't see anything overly egregious in the first few decks. It's worse on Arena where an all-star like Goldspan Dragon technically costs the same as like Sunstreak Phoenix or whatever so you're really punished for buying suboptimal cards for fun/janky decks.

EDIT: why the hell is Legion Loyalist a $7 card lmao

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 28, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I can’t link them, but if people here are really champing at the bit to play eternal formats but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars there are all sorts of places you can get paper playable proxies that will pass any inspection done short of busting out a loupe and getting sweaty about it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

And they have only improved in the years. A holostamp is no longer a barrier for entry.

My buddy ordered a fake full art Jeska’a Will that legit is indistinguishable lol. He had to write proxy on the back just to avoid accidentally trading it/selling it in a few years.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Proxies? More like Praxis.

TheKingofSprings posted:

My buddy ordered some of those for Commander. They look great and side by side they were almost indistinguishable, but I could almost cut to them consistently in an unsleeved set of cards and I think that could be a problem from a gameplay PoV.

I have not played with unsleeved cards in probably two decades, and I can't imagine playing a format that needs proxies without sleeving my cards up anyway.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 29, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

A "proxy" that is intended to be indistinguishable from a real card, is not a proxy, it's a counterfeit card. The proliferation of counterfeits is why we're not allowed to link to proxy sites, even ones that are nominally not about making proxies that look like the originals. So that's kind of a pain.

ahh, ya incorrigible scamp, I can't be mad

Sure, if that’s the distinction you want to use that’s fine with me. I don’t think anyone here is going to link to the sites where you can buy them, but I do strongly encourage anyone who wants to play with old, fun cards in a paper setting with cards that don’t look like poo poo to look into them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

for reasons completely unrelated to the conversation at hand, can you enable personal messages

I don’t wanna jerk Leperflesh around so no lol, but if you really wanted to contact me I’m certain I’ve posted my MTGA information in some thread recently.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

The nexus of fate buy a box promo did this too didn't it?

Anecdotal but every Nexus I’ve seen hasn’t had curling issues.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Toshimo posted:

To what end? To play in dead rear end Legacy tournaments? If the format is unsustainable without counterfeits, just let it die and teach WotC the lesson it needs to learn.

Probably the end of playing with the cards tbh. Even if you're not trying to rip someone off there's a lot of value in playing with cards that look/feel like real Magic cards while in a sleeve, especially if you think you're going to get deck checked.

I think you, me and the thread are in total agreement that anyone who tries to trade/sell proxies/counterfeits/fakes/whatever is a piece of poo poo. I'm not going to play any of my counterfeits anywhere I could get deck checked any time soon so mine all either have a different MPC card back or a sharpie on the back that shows it is not a real magic card, and I have to assume most people in this thread who use fakes in tournaments have some method of differentiating them from real cards too.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 30, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Was Part the Waterveil played in standard at all?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Spinnerooni is a great name for wheel effects.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/q1xl00/standard_world_decklists_leaked_early/

The decklists for WCXXVII leaked early lol. That's a whole heap of UR.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

Every extra turn should be in the style of timestream navigator, so that the opponent has the time and ability to answer it no matter their colors or at least brace for it, knowing what's coming. It doesn't have to be quite as weak as navigator but there need to be more answers and more conditions.

Like, an enchantment or artifact that has a smaller cost to sac for an extra turn but only if the opponent's deck has less than 20 cards, as a payoff for mill. Or only if you've cast 10 instants while it was in play. Or only if you have 12 cards in hand, or you control 10 artifacts. The point is, extra turns generally shouldn't just be something you play from hand and only an opposing blue player can do anything about it, for the same reason that they don't let planeswalker ultimates be played from hand. They'd be better as a lurking threat/reward that changes the texture of the game.

Honestly I’d rather they just not print them than print them but make them completely unplayable. Standard can exist without Time Walk effects and eternal formats have enough to pick from.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Time Warp was never a problem, so clearly the problem with this card isn't that it's a more expensive time warp, it's that it does other things too.

Stop blaming basic-rear end mechanics that have been around for the entire life of this game for problems caused by other poo poo.

You might be right, but like someone earlier in the thread said (TCID?) there’s a good chance that if modern (not the format, but like, how Magic is developed and played now versus ten years ago) MTG play went back in time, Time Warp would have needed a ban.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wonder if they just straight up swapped Warp for Epiphany if the UR turns decks would be better or worse. TW, Lier, flashback TW sounds nightmarish. Not exiling on resolution and being cheaper might be better in aggregate than getting the birds.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Was hoping this week's Resleevables pod was going to make it all the way through without talking about the set, but alas.

Avacyn Restored is going to have 15 minutes of actual set discussion I bet.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wouldn't say I was conned or unsuspecting when I ran into a wall after drawing a tunnel on it, but I think the Road Runner was definitely exploiting me when he ran through it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Crackbone posted:

I too think society should be nothing but a procession of bear traps designed to “punish those other idiots”.

If you step on a bear trap when it's hidden under leaves or is baited with delicious honey/picnic baskets you need to survive, you were taken advantage of and I think society should be structured in a way where we don't allow that to happen.

If you step on a bear trap in the middle of a clearing while the trapper is pointing at it going "I put this bear trap here, if you step in it it's going to snap on your leg" and you step on it, and actually you're not a bear but a fully grown human being...I don't know. Maybe I'm just jaded but I can't find it in me to get that upset about it.

We've had the con/grift/scam argument in this thread a bunch of times and I'm still squarely in the camp that if you get exactly what you paid for and there's no subterfuge or trickery at play, it's not a scam.

Even if you think that what Rudy did is a scam or whatever, how do you suggest we structure society to stop this from happening again? Genuine question. How do you write a law that stops people from completely transparently selling worthless poo poo for more than its worth?

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

odiv posted:

Speaking of other card games tangentially related to Magic, the card game Sam Black did some work for (is working for? idk) was announced. It's a DC comics digital card game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dc-dual-force-is-a-new-digital-card-game-that-lets-you-play-your-favorite-comics/1100-6496945/ (autoplaying video)

I didn't see anything there about crypto nonsense or NFTs, so that's a positive at least? Sam was giving a few details on his stream. Says it's similar to EDH, but with two "Leaders" on each side that start in play and that they have life totals, but you do not. He can't say too much obviously.

The focus on PvE stuff sounds cool. I'm a homer for Superman so I'll check this out.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thank you

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You're not wrong, but Cat Combo was a lot more dominant, and IIRC that was back when they did scheduled bans, right? The situation is different enough that I suspect they're just going to wait for CV. It's soon enough that there's no reason to not just wait I guess.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Don't worry, 83 days from now they'll ban it and we'll all get paid. It's important that they take their time in making sure the most obnoxious card in the most powerful deck in the format needs to go.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t think I even realized it was a Mystical Archive card until a podcast I was listening to brought it up and said it would be good. Even after people told me it was good I didn’t expect it to be quite so strong tbh. It’s crazy how much better the U and R Archive cards ended up being lol.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

All the mystical archive cards were instants/sorceries, there's just much fewer flashy ones in the other colors

memory lapse is a broken card compared to the power level of historic and i was saying it would probably need to be banned as well when people were complaining about brainstorm. it lets you start playing draw-go on a very early turn, and is often a 2-for-1 when you use it on a card that won't be a strong play on the next turn. having your aggro two drop countered by it is such a blowout

Legit feels like you just can't win if you mulliganed and get your Thalia or whatever lapsed. It's a huge (but not only) reason why most creature decks are really struggling right now imo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is a bad version of Tymna in Grixis still good? I guess we'll see.

These look like poo poo and I suspect the UBRG partners friends forever are going to be CEDH playable, but the good news is that if they ever get Drake to play on that YouTube show that Post Malone was on there's at least one commander he'll be interested in.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

All the universes beyond stuff really doesn't bother me at all tbh. Like yeah the lore and settings of MtG are cool but non-canon stuff doesn't change that and the core mechanics are what makes it so good anyway.

Same, my only complaint is they didn't do them for cool franchises (poo poo I like). I have a pretty good tolerance for ugly rear end cards. I hope that the Street Fighter cards are good.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 14, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

It's bullshit they just put them in "The List" in the first place and not just as a rare or mythic in the actual set itself.

We'll see. They said that they're going to make them more common than other cards in The List so this might be a Nexus of Fate situation where even though you can't technically open it in a set and get it in your Mythic slot they'll at least be reasonably priced.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Every year for the past 5+ years, Maro says they're concerned about the high complexity levels of sets and every year the sets stay complex. I'd suspect their focus group testing is telling them to simplify but real-world data is showing it doesn't matter unless it gets to Time-Spiral set levels.

I think Questing Beast is about as complicated as I want a card to get. There's a shitload of text on the card and it does a bunch of different things (Vigilance, Haste, Deathtouch, can't be chumped, damage prevention doesn't work, hits Planeswalkers collaterally?) but it feels awesome to cast and play with. The STX deans that have tons of text on them and the punchline is a card that's barely even limited playable are such a waste. If you're going to make me read, it better be worth it!

https://scryfall.com/card/stx/152/kianne-dean-of-substance-imbraham-dean-of-theory

Like what the gently caress is this?? You couldn't remove one hoop from either side of the card? School sucks.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not sure you guys are actually disagreeing with each other lol. Magic has had a bunch of different sets with a bunch of different themes and aesthetics. TWD and ST stuff is weird but it's not that out of place in a game that's all about being a super wizard that can warp between different worlds, and even if you absolutely hate them how often are you actually playing against them? I've seen Rick like five times in two years.