Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Narrow counterspells are generally really bad - the fact that you need to be holding it up at the exact moment they play the narrow thing it affects makes it so much worse than, say, equally-narrow removal. Are you going to hold it up every turn in case they play the thing you're scared of, wasting the mana otherwise? Are you going to hold it up alongside other counterspells for the other things they could play that turn instead? (In which case, what are you really gaining from the cheap-ness?)

If you're gonna try it, I'd recommend mising one copy at first, and keep track of the number of times it actually does the thing better than a different card you could play, and how many times it gets stuck in your hand because it missed its chance to be good.

You're right that a lot of decks do seem to have targets for it though, which is somewhat interesting but only if there's a specific matchup where you really want that card specifically. Like I dunno, if a Scissors deck with the blackstaff of waterdeep became a real t1 thing (seems unlikely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Your decks in Vintage are Dredge, Shops, Fast Combo, and Control. (Control being the "all the good blue cards, plus some other stuff to win the game" decks, where the "other stuff" can vary quite widely).

A turn 1 Trinisphere (or even just a Sphere of Resistance) from Shops is one of the big "welcome to Vintage" moments you can show them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've done it about three times in constructed, total.

Plus a fourth time when I wanted to do it, but didn't realize you had to click the button on the left side to show your hand instead of just hitting "Decline" while looking at your learnboard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is going to heavily depend on how competitive your local store is, and what you have as a foundation to build off. I haven't played Modern since MH1 killed the format (and never got back into it after Wizards banned the worst offenders, because I really don't like that that's how they're choosing to shape the format), but before that I was able to have fun and competitive games at my local with various "old standard cards plus some cheap additions" decks. Keeping in mind that those "old standard cards" were from RTR-through-Khans so I had fetchlands + shocklands + Collected Company all ready to go.

I guess Burn is about $150 if you don't look at the manabase, lol. The real pushed cards from Horizons sets are stupid expensive though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you turn it up to 2x speed it sounds like he's speaking at a normal pace.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Part the Waterveil was fun in Modern.

I mean it was a terrible deck but it was fun to play.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Odd, search I did didn't have anything before MID.

Did someone erase it from the archive memory, or was it just a really bad search? I will go with the pointless conspiracy option because it's wackier.

you're the only one who knows what site they searched or how they searched it, so if you're too ashamed to reveal the details i'm gonna go with "it was a really bad search"

like, do you not remember the Emergent Ultimatum decks at all?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Flimflammers and Bagholders

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If mill effects worked based on the bottom of your library, maybe people would understand them better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eat poo poo shouldn't target so it can get back creatures that died from Kill everyone now, imo.

Also should swap the destroy and exile effects, so you can exile the one obnoxious recurring threat while blowing up the rest of the board.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's worth noting that that experiment pre-dates Arena. Possibly it would go over better nowadays.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

I think it would go over much worse since when cards rotate out of arena they might as well be deleted from existence. In paper they're at least worth a dime per rare

Completely irrelevant - the objections were all about the amount of gameplay they get out of their cards before they rotate, whether or not you can get a pittance back from them afterwards doesn't play into that at all.

The reason it'd go over better is that with Arena, people play many more games to explore the format, explore the cards, and get tired of them. The big objections were from players that played four matches a week at FNM, now people do that every single day.

(Though it's worth noting that Goldspan Dragon -> Alrund's Epiphany would be legal for just as long under either scheme)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

It's only irrelevant if you just assume players can snap cards into their deck with no cost for acquisition. Rotation happens and you're going to find yourself mad you only got to play with your deck for a little bit but in paper my deck gets to pay for the next deck. In arena I have to start all over because they economy is garbage.

The ten bucks you get from selling your old rares doesn't "pay for your next deck" and never has.

Unless you zeroed out your Arena account in the leadup to a set release, you've banked enough gold, gems and wildcards to make a start on the new set. This is true regardless of whether it's a rotation set or not.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 18, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

I guess your magic experience in 2006 was very different than mine :shrug:

I've already spoken to death on Arena's ecconomy but if you think you're anywhere near having enough wildcards to build a deck in the rarity=playability era then you're just fooling yourself.
https://magic.gg/decklists/magic-world-championship-xxvii-standard-decklists Here's Izzet Ephany, listed as the top deck over at Goldfish and I clicked the link at their first example which took me here.
The deck is 24 rares 9 mythics. You're not building that after rotation unless you already were playing some Izzet deck and happened into them.

How much were you able to sell your rotated-out Standard rares for in 2006, and how many of them did you need to sell to buy a deck?

You're the one that's claiming a dime a rare, it's pretty obvious to anyone who can do math that that's not buying you a new deck.

I'll post a screenshot of my wildcard hoard when I get back to my computer, it's pretty paltry compared to some other people but I'm playing literally any deck I want every format with no trouble.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

About half, usually.
Because you get a few bucks for the parts that rotated out, the ones that stayed legal get traded for the new stuff and you buy the rest.

Unless you had a truly mythical store that didn't bother to update prices on anything, the rares from your old deck that didn't exist any more in the new meta didn't stay that high.

If it was still in a meta deck and thus was still worth something ... well that's exactly the situation you're presenting where you can keep playing with them on Arena too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jiro posted:

How long did the release of Crimson Vow get delayed by?

It didn't.

(You might be thinking of set boosters being delayed in North America - that isn't affecting the release dates at all, though you'll only be able to get draft boosters at release in NA).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So I had a really good time at the draft, everyone was really nice and chill and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed. There was an odd number of players so I got a bye the first round, second round went 1-2 and third round 2-0. I drafted a couple good rares (Adeline and Smoldering Egg, both foil!), a Sunrise Cavalier and two Thermo-Alchemists so went with a WR deck - had a few burn spells but not enough to trigger the egg transform more than once in all the games.

All in all it was a great time and I'm gonna go again next week for sure, and definitely planning on going to Crimson Vow prerelease.

Congrats! Drafting is fun, getting the first round bye is unlucky but it's still a good opportunity to hang out and watch other people play. Especially if it's your first time playing in paper then that might not be such a bad thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fadam posted:

I know there are cards that remove all creature types from a card but are there cards that remove one specific creature type? The thing that’s being removed that’s never been removed before could be an effect that removes werewolf or vampire creature types from a card as flavour.

A bunch of classic cards make Walls no longer Walls. (They date back to when being a Wall was what made something unable to attack - now they both remove Defender and make it not a Wall).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

YggdrasilTM posted:

Dread Fugue - B
Sorcery
Cleave 2B
Target player reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it [with mana value 2 or less]. That player discards that card.

Seems playable TBH. A lot of the time the thing you're really wanting to take with Inquisition is their 2-drop, and this has the alternative mode of taking their expensive finisher later in the game.

Lol at playing discard spells in the Foretell meta though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

It's another Final Fortune for Sundial decks. Can't put it on a stick though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Time Warp with set mechanic is the new Shock with set mechanic.

What was the last Shock with set mechanic anyway? Wild Slash? I'm defining a Shock as R for 2 damage that can go face.

Play with Fire is Shock+, and if you squint a bit then the bonus when you go face has mechanical connections to the vampire mechanics in that set.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Am I just not thinking or are non-intervening if clauses new or at lease highly unusual?

The pasted-on font in the textbox suggests that it's an unofficial translation of a card that was spoiled in a non-english language. It's probably a regular intervening-if, whoever did the fan translation just doesn't know the specifics of MTG phraseology.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They're all bad (but sometimes fun) gimmick decks where you avoid the drawback somehow. Lich's Mastery, Sundial of the Infinite, that sort of thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's interesting tension, because you want expensive fatties in your deck to flip him, and some way to get them into the graveyard, but you also want cheaper things that are going to be attacking alongside him on turn 4 and are profitable to copy. (Also, you can't make a deck out of all 6-drops).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
4 mana for a 3/3 flyer (that isn't even that on the turn you play it) is a bit underwhelming even in limited, and that's before you consider the punisher aspect of your opponent being able to delay turning it on if that's more beneficial to them.

4 mana for a 5/3 flyer wins draft games quite handily.

So this really comes down to how often you expect your opponent to have humans in play.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 3/4 with Flash that absolutely nobody is going to play around game 1 is probably going to eat a creature the turn you play it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've played a lot of limited games where someone plays a 2/4 and then nobody has good attacks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Strong Sauce posted:

went back a couple pages didn't see this posted.. its an egg

Biolume Egg: 2U
Creature - Serpent Egg
Defender
When Biolume Egg enters the battlefield, scry (2)

When you sacrifice Biolume Egg, return it to the battlefield transformed under it's owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
0/4

------------------

Biolume Serpent
Creature - Serpent
Sacrifice two Islands: Biolume Serpent can't be blocked this turn
4/4

Oh hey, it's a super telegraphed combo with Geralf. And maybe there are other cards that sac creatures and then do something based on the sacced creature's toughness.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a big combo with Sludge Monster. They even both use the same counters!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

Does that last half of the card text seem... a little unfinished? Do you get the discount forever? Until the wolf leaves play? What if you have another wolf? I mean I think I know how its suppose to play, but I am expecting more text to tell me things.

The discount applies as long as the wolf is in play, and still has that ability, and the card is still exiled. Seems pretty clear to me?

It doesn't anything else to clarify how long it lasts the same way Glorious Anthem doesn't need anything else to clarify how long it lasts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Strong Sauce posted:

Howling Piper 3G

Creature - Human Werewolf

This spell can't be countered

1G, T: You may put a creature card from your hand to the battlefield. If it is a wolf or werewolf, Untap Howling Piper. Activate only as a sorcery.

Daybound

-----
Wild Howling Wolf (Howler?)

When this creature ETB or transforms into Wild Howler, Look at the top 6 cards of your library. You can reveal one of the creature cards and put it into your hand. Put the remaining cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Nightbound.

----

Uhhhh seems pretty crazy?

Wowzers that's interesting. Costing 2 instead of 1 isn't a huge drawback to the Piper side, and then after Pipering fatties into play you get to flip it and immediately gas back up.

On the flip side, it's a 2/2 for 4 that doesn't give you anything if they remove it, and if you've built your deck to minmax it then you're probably not doing much if they do have removal.

I'm guessing real fun but not a top-tier deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh hey it's the clown car answer red was looking for

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you played two Cemetery Prowlers and exiled two separate creatures, would your creatures then cost 2 less as long as they both stayed in play?

Yes. The same way having two Goblin Electromancers in play makes the relevant spells cost 2 less.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"destroy any target" is like, Vindicate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So mono-G beats Izzet Turns beats mono-W beats mono-G. Izzet Dragons is Izzet Turns but worse against the top decks, but beats up on the fringe decks better. After that you're getting into decks without enough data to get a good sense of things, they can be swung so heavily by one particularly strong (or particularly weak) player experimenting with it for a weekend.

Jund Treasures might be a meta-beater or just might be what the top players chose for this weekend.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I hope it's playable, and I think it will be if there's a deck for it. A deck dropping undercosted fatties like that will probably win the game before the opponent is able to leverage the incremental advantage from cycling their excess lands away.

Having "beatstick" cards where they are reasonably answerable, but do a lot if they're not answered, is a healthy thing for the game IMO. Only costing 4 means you're not eating quite so much poo poo on tempo if your opponent has a 3-mana counterspell or whatever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So you can just flip it the turn you play it, or leave it as a 1/3 for a bit to get some extra value if you prefer. I guess if you're not blocking with it you can almost always draw the card and then flip it before attacking next turn.

Seems fine, but feels like the sort of card that gets edged out of decks as they solidify.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

resistentialism posted:

The edict on a stick might position it well for some standard matchups.

Yeah, this is what I mean by being the sort of card that might see early play but then gets edged out.

If you know you want an edict you just play Soul Shatter. If you don't know you want an edict, but you might want one, or you might want a 3/4 lifelinker to survive the next few turns, or you might want a creature that replaces itself and makes your opponent answer it ... this can fill that spot until the format gets more stable and you know exactly what you want.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh man, is 5-colour green gonna be a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the front side is better than the front side of approach imo, running out a 4/4 for 3 is often going to block more than 7 damage in the matchups where your life total matters. and you can credibly threaten to just attack with it four or five times if they've boarded out their creature removal.

but since you don't get to accelerate your alternate win condition by spinning azcanta it's probably still worse overall in any format where you're actually choosing between them