Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

Hey guys this game is still fun after almost 30 years what the gently caress

Extremely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

snyprmag posted:

Those artifact lands are very cool and I hope they come to arena at some point

Agreed. Awesome art, and I am not having to scour the entire card to figure what the hell my opponent is playing.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalvanoo posted:

im sure it was unintentional but someone in a chat i'm in pointed out that the Homecoming banner behind Will (who is queer?) spells out homo, so at least we know that nobody is actually looking at these before they go out

A lot people probably finally discover their true selves at homecoming, so no harm done.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 15, 2021

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If in a few weeks I come into the thread crying because my deck underperformed at my LGS then by all means give me all the advice/criticism you want! Until then...

Have you taken a moment to consider that others hearing that someone wants to drop 1K on a deck that is most likely going to go 0-3 or 1-2, at best, may be concerned that your choice deck for getting back in the game may make you want to leave on arrival?

Only care in this thread sir.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m not dropping even close to $1000 on it.

Then release the fish.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalvanoo posted:

is modern good now should i buy in to another mediocre midrange piece of poo poo

Modern is very good right now.
The format was turbo fast, but U/W found a way to slow that down, so now the format is self correcting and evolving.

The only real complaint is that Hammer is still probably a little too good.

As for the Chalice discussion, that is probably your only real way to steal games as Fish.
Play that on 1, and the Murktide and Lurrus decks cry very hard. It's also pretty good against hammer on 1 as well.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoked posted:

I have good news: Affinity is not banned. You can cast cards like Thought Monitor and play Urza's Saga for big bois. The deck is fun in my humble opinion. Opal would be very gross with Saga, so probably for the best that it's banned.

Now whether Affinity is a good choice for Vegas... probably not, but who knows. There will be another set before the tournament, although Affinity isn't getting anything new (in the most likely scenario) from Crimson Vow.

I would not bring affinity to a tournament where just about every deck is packing 2-3 Engineered Explosives in their sideboards.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoked posted:

I’m less worried about EE and more concerned about Kcommand or Pcommand or Force of Vigor. I even said it’s probably not a good choice for Vegas but the OP is considering Vampires so I’m just laying out options that are definitely more viable than that.

That is more than fair,

If I was thinking of bringing something like this to Vegas, I would just stick to side events. Hell I would probably just stick to side events unless I was playing 4+ hours a day to prep.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I'm getting a little tired of Hammer. Also Lurrus sucks.

I'm honestly ready to unsleeve Lurrus and just starting jamming Lilianas if everyone is going to be playing main deck chalices.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I loathe Esper Sentinel

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with the card's existence, but trying to not die on turn 2 or 3 while being taxed is... taxing.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if the Magic The Gathering's player-base has more autistic people than other hobbies, but I do know it has a lot of silly-gooses.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Every single one of us has messed up in paper; with the extra land probably being the most common.

My bane is going through a million game actions after Jace brainstorm and then going for it again. I just started tapping the dude sideways if my opponent is cool with it.

It's the poo poo like that guy who thumbed a land to his opponents top when shuffling that is just bonkers to do on camera.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

Yes. Please be emblems. Planeswalkers aren't special anymore. Emblems aren't a rare occurrence to materialize during a game anymore. Let me get rid of them.

I can't wait to open up the 5 cent rare that removes emblems.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just as a heads up. 10% cash back just went live on TCG

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

I need the spoilers. I've had my doompost screed written for weeks now!

There was a guy in our state Utah Magic group complaining that werewolves were only a fraction of Midnight Hunt. Dude was legit mad the set wasn't 100% werewolves for his Commander deck.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pay 3 to counter a spell and draw a card seems kind of nuts.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Can't be lesbians if your plane doesn't have the Isle of Lesbos!

Anyways, I've started listening to the resleevables. Two eps in and it's as fantastic as everyone mentioned. It's funny hearing it after the arena decklists podcast in my rotation as Patrick is easily five times as capable of communicating and explaining points as Brian Gottleib. It's night and day. The dude has lawyer ultraspecificity brain poisoning or something.

Yeah the podcast is great, and Sullivan is a gem. I reaaaaallly miss Saturdays with him and Cedric casting.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TotalHell posted:

Feel like that’s about as obvious as you could’ve made that card without changing the name to like “Big-Time Lesbians” or something.

Especially that alt-art. Goddamn it looks nice and has some incredibly cool gay energy.

Wizards needs to shorthand that text down to Gaynergy

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

haha wouldnt it be so wacky if we like, kissed

Probably a lot of new found relationships are going to start exactly this way in two nights. Gonna be a smattering of Kitty-Kat-maKeup.

I'm happy for them.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I will not rest until they are named "Halana and Alena, They Fuckin~"

Flavor text, "then they be Truckin"

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

there's lots of non-sexual reasons that a man and a woman could both be pensively staring at the same thing

Short of an erupting volcano for the bottom card, I don't think that is true.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't really know what the story is for this set but I find myself very upset at these rude humans who are interrupting some vampires just trying to have a nice time and enjoy a wedding

It's enough to make your blood boil.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

Can't you exile it as combat damage is put onto the stack?

God I wish, the dumbing down of America started with the removal of this rule.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Who do I have to suck off at WOTC to get an MTGA sealed event? :mad:

Why are you holding those lips back to begin with. Why do people have to give you something first?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Moose posted:

I mean it's pretty self explanatory. I don't play modern or legacy or vintage because it might be fun, but it's nowhere near fun enough to justify the price tag. Standard frequently blows, but at least you can play it with cards you get from drafting. They need to shake up the modern metagame more often, so that people have to replace entire decks every year and the price to get into eternal formats comes down to standard levels. They could make a modern horizons set every year! They could put in cards that specifically poo poo all over the cards they printed last year! They could add another rarity above mythic that is just reserved for Karns or Urzas and also Squire or whatever so that it only LOOKS like they're increasing the supply of in-demand cards and draws more people in!

Or, the prices don't come down, they make billions and can finally hire some game developers for their online poo poo and more designers to actually playtest poo poo.

Or, I could just wait until fakes get more realistic and try it out then. Modern used to be fun when random budget bullshit could occasionally win, like Ad Nauseum combo or Living End. Then it just gradually got more powerful and more expensive. I had a splinter twin deck, but then that got banned and I wasn't able to sell enough of it to get another deck, so I just quit playing. Pioneer looked like it would be fun and cheap, but then they banned EVERYONE's combo decks and EVERYONE quit playing, which was kinda funny to watch.

They did hire pros to playtest MH2, and the result is probably one of the best Modern Formats. The best decks keep shifting, because the format has not stopped evolving; it's glorious.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

pioneer didn’t die because of specific ban decisions, it died because it was always a bad idea for a format. the combination of set cutoff and banning fetches meant that it explicitly excluded most of the cool things people like to do in eternal formats and it didn’t actually create an affordable format because magic cards keep getting less affordable every day.

Pioneer was getting extremely big where I was at, but then COVID happened.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ah poo poo I guess I’m wrong about pioneer being dead while other non rotating formats you can’t play on arena thrive

You don't think it possibly has anything to do with, I dunno, those other formats having a chance to exist for more than mere months before a world pandemic obliterated it?

People had to time to be invested in those other formats before the world came to a halt, and the only thing Wizards has done since the pandemic to even mention the format's existence was to create pre-cons for it.
It's not rocket science to see why a format, good or bad, would die under these circumstance. Modern would have gone the exact same way if it had to live through Covid right after its inception.

You didn't like it, because it didn't fetches, but looots of people did for that very reason. Sorry you can't fondle your deck 10 times a game.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just want to crack open a cold Tireless Tracker with the boys =(

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was looking forward to possibly seeing a friend make horrible play mistakes on camera round 1.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Trust in psully.

Yeah, I would put a lot of faith into whatever that guy's burn list is.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Now that I've played modern and feel more confident I'm going to finish the Merfolk deck and none of you can stop me!!!!

I will fly to your home to stop you if I must.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Went 3-0 in prerelease tonight :hellyeah:

Proud of ya babe.

The finals in sealed tournaments if both players don't get mana screwed/flooded, are usually really fun grindfests..
But man, opening a bad seal pool is just the absolute worst, because you know your next couple of hours are probably going to be pretty subpar, but you should at least give it a go.

Then you wish you didn't give a go or left the house that day.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also, if you aren't good at limited you can always just hoard your gold and buy 80+ packs when a new set comes out. You can easily build a deck between the cards you open and the amount of wildcards this creates.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Goatse Secret Lair would have an excellent Sol Ring, and I like the it's for a good cause. It's about time hemorrhoid's issues got the attention it deserves.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Simpsons_pathetic.jpeg

White borders are gross.

White boarders used to be gross when we were kids, but now they are cool.

Your islands are dope.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One of our boys who first started his Modern Journey in our little College is in the top 8 playing G/W Scales. I have never been more proud.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My boy lost in round one of top 8 to Indomitable Creativity on Scales, but the Dive Down crew got to interview him before hand.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Playing mono white (Got Mono and I’m white)

You have to kiss somebody to get that. Sounds like someone is splashing green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As long as Arena doesn't magically ruin Modern years down the road, whatever. It has allowed me to play any Standard deck I like for free, so it has served it's purpose to me.

I have the feeling, that they are going to continue treating Modern as a separate entity from Arena. Modern will be how they move paper product to spikes, and Commander will be how they move paper to casuals.