Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Alright this is actually kind of bizarre to say. WoTC has done everything they can think of to kill competitive Magic, I don't think a Twitch Streamer is emblematic of anything except that anyone can get to the top of a ladder if they play for 10 hrs a day. And, er, some people have personalities that you don't personally like? I don't like or dislike the guy but if I did dislike him I wouldn't be up in arms that someone is daring to exist with a personality I personally find distasteful.

Yes that is more or less what I'm saying. WOTC is killing competitive Magic. The best way to be a visible Magic player now is to be a guy (gender neutral) who just streams Arena all day and get propelled to the top of the ladder by weight of numbers.

That he is one of the most watched Magic players and considered Good by people watching despite having Not Great tournament placements ruffles some old guard feathers. He makes more money than like 99% of competitive Magic players too.

So yes, he is emblematic (adj.
serving as a symbol of a particular quality or concept; symbolic.) of the direction that WOTC has taken with regards to competitive Magic because he is the example of a post-Arena successful player. And lots of people hate that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does Humans not play vial anymore?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If in a few weeks I come into the thread crying because my deck underperformed at my LGS then by all means give me all the advice/criticism you want! Until then...

Have you taken a moment to consider that others hearing that someone wants to drop 1K on a deck that is most likely going to go 0-3 or 1-2, at best, may be concerned that your choice deck for getting back in the game may make you want to leave on arrival?

Only care in this thread sir.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

Have you taken a moment to consider that others hearing that someone wants to drop 1K on a deck that is most likely going to go 0-3 or 1-2, at best, may be concerned that your choice deck for getting back in the game may make you want to leave on arrival?

Only care in this thread sir.

I’m not dropping even close to $1000 on it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Shortest Path posted:

Does Humans not play vial anymore?

It does but humans is not in a good spot right now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m not dropping even close to $1000 on it.

Then release the fish.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
are the chalices even an important part of fish in modern? what are you chalicing on 1 for, opt??

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalvanoo posted:

are the chalices even an important part of fish in modern? what are you chalicing on 1 for, opt??

Probably stuff like Ragavan I imagine. I’m forgoing chalices because they’re expensive

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Probably stuff like Ragavan I imagine. I’m forgoing chalices because they’re expensive

have fun with your deck my friend the last time i played modern i had built mardu pyromancer which was a fun but bad deck and they banned faithless looting because they printed that convoke delve guy and ruined my fun bad deck and now i hate modern and wotc in general

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalvanoo posted:

Not one, zero.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

I would imagine ragavan and drc are among the most played creatures right now

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalvanoo posted:

opt? what is this, 2020?

Anyway, chalice is there to not get turbo hosed by the cascade decks. It also hates on all the 1 mana spell decks, which is like, half the format.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kalvanoo posted:

serum visions

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FWIW I am gathering stuff to put some other decks together. I’m not pinning my hopes and dreams on fish I just like them lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To put it another way, I’m not mad, I’m actually laughing

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Glad to hear it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Looks like I'm going to Vegas, better build like 3 decks. Probably just play the modern event for lols since vampire tribal is the only deck I have since both affinity and pyromancer got banned for other decks bullshit. Guess I'd like to see if there's any pioneer and I find myself quite liking the monoblack standard deck, Meathook and Graveyard Trespasser are fun.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
is modern good now should i buy in to another mediocre midrange piece of poo poo

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

It does but humans is not in a good spot right now.

Pretty evergreen comment, no matter the topic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalvanoo posted:

is modern good now should i buy in to another mediocre midrange piece of poo poo

Modern is actually pretty fast right now, and has more churn than I've seen in a while.
It's all MH2 though and inflated by the price of collectables during covid. I wouldn't buy into it, but if there's plenty of rental services available for MTGO and if your store is big enough.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

Modern is actually pretty fast right now, and has more churn than I've seen in a while.

Thought you said it had more cum than you've seen.

Talk about a real Sunset Revelry.

Talk about a real Vengeful Strangler.

Talk about a real Neonate's Rush.

Talk about a real Shadowbeast Sighting.

Talk about a real Old Stickfingers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FWIW I am gathering stuff to put some other decks together. I’m not pinning my hopes and dreams on fish I just like them lol

Hell yeah, play those fish friend!

sincerely, the spirits player

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thought you said it had more cum than you've seen.

Talk about a real Sunset Revelry.

Talk about a real Vengeful Strangler.

Talk about a real Neonate's Rush.

Talk about a real Shadowbeast Sighting.

Talk about a real Old Stickfingers.

So....We gonna gently caress or what?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalvanoo posted:

Modern is very good right now.
The format was turbo fast, but U/W found a way to slow that down, so now the format is self correcting and evolving.

The only real complaint is that Hammer is still probably a little too good.

As for the Chalice discussion, that is probably your only real way to steal games as Fish.
Play that on 1, and the Murktide and Lurrus decks cry very hard. It's also pretty good against hammer on 1 as well.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

kalvanoo posted:

It's expensive especially cause of MH2 prices, but I think the format is very fun right now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

The format was turbo fast, but U/W found a way to slow that down, so now the format is self correcting and evolving.

As for the Chalice discussion, that is probably your only real way to steal games as Fish.
Play that on 1, and the Murktide and Lurrus decks cry very hard. It's also pretty good against hammer on 1 as well.

Depending on what my local meta is like, if I feel like going forward with fish I'll probably invest in chalice at some point

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't extra life next week?
Last Extra Life promo set was Plneswalkers and their kids, right?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/secret-lair-extra-life-2021-10-20

quote:

1x Mulldrifter by Aliya, age 5 ½
1x Mulldrifter by Magali Villeneuve, age 41
1x Craterhoof Behemoth by Kira, age 5 ½
1x Craterhoof Behemoth by Lars Grant-West, age 52
1x Metalwork Colossus by Hyan Tran, age 6
1x Metalwork Colossus by Chris Rahn, age 36

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

Hammer is barely tier 1 now, IMO. Modern is becoming much more interactive and the control combo decks are, of course, becoming extremely good at hating things out. Hammer can still win out of nowhere against less experienced folks and non interactive strategies, but it's not in an amazing spot in the last 2 weeks or so IMO. We will see how things adapt.

Largely the modern meta is incredibly dynamic and good ATM tho but I do have concerns about combo control.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

You're chalicing on 0 to not die to Rhinos or chalicing on 1 to not die to something else

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not to re-open that discussion, but if Chalice is both necessary and expensive, perhaps you can ask the locals if they are OK with proxied cards. Not counterfeit, of course: clear, unambiguously proxied. Reportedly, many folks are fine with it!

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Looks like I'm going to Vegas, better build like 3 decks. Probably just play the modern event for lols since vampire tribal is the only deck I have since both affinity and pyromancer got banned for other decks bullshit. Guess I'd like to see if there's any pioneer and I find myself quite liking the monoblack standard deck, Meathook and Graveyard Trespasser are fun.

I have good news: Affinity is not banned. You can cast cards like Thought Monitor and play Urza's Saga for big bois. The deck is fun in my humble opinion. Opal would be very gross with Saga, so probably for the best that it's banned.

Now whether Affinity is a good choice for Vegas... probably not, but who knows. There will be another set before the tournament, although Affinity isn't getting anything new (in the most likely scenario) from Crimson Vow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Not to re-open that discussion, but if Chalice is both necessary and expensive, perhaps you can ask the locals if they are OK with proxied cards. Not counterfeit, of course: clear, unambiguously proxied. Reportedly, many folks are fine with it!

You are literally opening that discussion back up because proxies are not allowed in DCI/WPN-sanctioned events.

If you're playing kitchen table Magic, mark that swamp up with a sharpie saying it's a Black Lotus, Wizards doesn't care, but the only way to play cheaper Chalices in any kind of event like a sanctioned FNM at the moment is to not tell anyone you're playing cheaper Chalices.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I enjoy playing faeries even if bitter blossom is outrageously priced

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bitterblossom is a cool and good card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sampatrick posted:

I enjoy playing faeries even if bitter blossom is outrageously priced

Yeah bitterblossom is probably too expensive in modern at 2.... Wait fifty dollars!?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
About a decade ago I had the bright idea to build a Rakdos the Defiler 1v1 EDH deck. Included in that list is a copy of Bitterblossom, which was ~$20 and therefore it was roughly 1/5 the total cost of the deck AND the most expensive card I've ever bought. Just a second ago I found out that I was "investing" with that purchase so it was actually very good and not at all stupid.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Kesswylie/status/1450865019206262785

I love this design. Does this mean New Capenna will have DFCs and investigate? Or is this only a super secret special card in set boosters convention edition whatever

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoked posted:

I have good news: Affinity is not banned. You can cast cards like Thought Monitor and play Urza's Saga for big bois. The deck is fun in my humble opinion. Opal would be very gross with Saga, so probably for the best that it's banned.

Now whether Affinity is a good choice for Vegas... probably not, but who knows. There will be another set before the tournament, although Affinity isn't getting anything new (in the most likely scenario) from Crimson Vow.

I would not bring affinity to a tournament where just about every deck is packing 2-3 Engineered Explosives in their sideboards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

https://twitter.com/Kesswylie/status/1450865019206262785

I love this design. Does this mean New Capenna will have DFCs and investigate? Or is this only a super secret special card in set boosters convention edition whatever

SLD in the collectors section at the bottom means the card is from Secret Lair, and the upside down is a Stranger Things thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

SLD in the collectors section at the bottom means the card is from Secret Lair, and the upside down is a Stranger Things thing

I think that they said that the Stranger Things secret lair cards are getting reskinned in the New Capenna set boosters. I think that's what LifeLynx was referencing.