Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

say no to scurvy posted:

Hi new thread!

What is your favorite obscure (or not-so-obscure) MTG slang/nickname/jargon?

I'm a fan of bicycle lands.

Barn, hull, ranch.

Alternatively, :trey: :wise: and :west:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm gonna suspend ancestral visions and we can hopefully all be smarter in 3 pages

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

So you make these supposed "singular words", then have to put reminder text on everything so that they're all longer and wordier anyway. I don't think this solves any problems here.

I don't know why you think this is any different from Magic in general.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

black isn't even the best colour in MID limited

the best colour is bREaD

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

People should stop bitching about the Reserved list. Legacy is a dead format anyway.

there's a bunch of modern set design a 1WW first strike flying 2/2 would fit just fine into, but they can't do it because of the reserved list

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Isn't changing creature types enough to get around it there?

doesn't look like it no https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Aflying+type%3Acreature+color%3DW+mana%3A%7BW%7D%7BW%7D+cmc%3D3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

it seems like they've decided 1WW 2/2 w/ flying first strike is way too strong. so for 2WW you get those attributes w/ an added 0/+1.

IMO... they're not going to break RL anytime soon so it just seems pointless to talk about whether they should break it. my opinion is that even if it happens, they're not going to be flooding the market with reprints anyways.

no the point is that they can't print functionally identical cards to stuff that's on the reserve list. so thunder spirit being on rl means they can't make 1WW 2/2 flying first strikers again, period.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

That's because "the Internet" doesn't like to take responsibility for their actions.

Making counterfeit cards (cards designed to be easily mistaken for real cards by laymen) is a lovely thing to do.

You got beef with WotC? Cool. Don't play in their tournaments. Hell, don't buy their cards. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

But when you buy or create counterfeit cards, which we've seen time and again work themselves into the ecosystem and be pawned off.on unsuspecting customers, you're just being a shithead. You aren't Robin Hood, sticking it to the man. You don't have some moral high ground. You're just doing harm to all the other people involved: the artists, the printers, the game stores, and fellow players.

have u tried valium

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
TBF, we have a short block right now with the two Innistrad sets, and they've definitely been seeding sets with mechanics that do interact well with each other.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Oven Cat. Before that, the Wildgrowth Walker/Explore package with Bolas's Citadel.

which i think speaks to the problem - the problem isn't the lack of blocks in and of itself, it's the lack of synergies across multiple sets. standard has largely turned into figuring out which particular mechanics package in a recent set is The Best, which feels pretty pre-determined and lovely. it's not a "brew" if you're just putting all the food or all the adventure or all the werewolf cards in a deck, it feels like you're just doing wotc's 75-piece puzzle set.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

This ain't the thread for that, but I encourage you to PM me your treatise "In the Defense of Selling Bootleg DVDs".

I'd steal your car

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fadam posted:

Was Part the Waterveil played in standard at all?

4 of maindeck at worlds 2016: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13406&d=278673&f=ST

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

ah thanks.. that clears what version i was looking at.. then my complaint is about the masters card since it makes it a bit confusing why you need more than 1 counter to signify that the card was summoned via the mask effect.

looking at the rulings from gatherer, it's looks like its to make sure your opponent used enough mana to cast the card once the effect ends but it also says that the caster must properly use the right mana types/colors to cast the card.. so why isn't that being tracked by "colored mana counters" or what not...

not a big deal but just weird wording to me. it could have just said all face down cards get a "mask counter" and any card cast this way must have the right mana cost and type and you would just keep track of it outside the game.

one of the rules of thumb generally in magic is that any card having more than one counter on it is very bad, specifically because it's hard to distinguish what a particular counter means (ikoria broke this, but this is why ikoria's ability counters came in-pack and were specifically identifiable explicitly as what they were supposed to be). this is why there's the cancels out rule for +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters

having a mess of counters equal to mana cost on a creature just to "note" mana cost would be bad, basically

that's never really stopped wizards though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That's not multiple counters on one permanent though. That guy is just an anthem effect on a body. Anthem effects don't hit memory issues the same way.

Toshimo posted:

Almost none of magic's iconic terms (tap, summon, upkeep, sorcery, instant, artifact, enchantment) are that universal or useful.

Plenty of things used Ready, Activate, Expend, Fast, Monster, Treasure, etc. just fine. The glut of lovely CCGs killed itself with lovely designers and editors, and latching onto pop culture fads, not because magic squatted on the terms.

I have to disagree, I played Lost Ruins of Arnak last weekend and it was a pain trying to translate tapping to people who had never played MtG.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gently caress you bring back infect you cowards

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TipTow posted:

Can anyone look up how much Andrea Mengucci makes from Twitch? Just curious 'cause he's the only streamer I watch because he's a goober and painfully Italian and makes and eats good food and lives near the ocean and I want to be his friend.

Mengucci is in the link above. Like $12k a year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

uggy posted:

Source?

My own farts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

in the aaaarms of an angel…

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
aren't the mirrodin artifact lands banned in like every format, why print something most people can't play

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Use play test cards for every card in your deck so that you can keep your real cards in a stack of sealed cases near you and never risk damaging them.

"this golgari grave swarm is actually an alpha serra angel"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Ya know, all this kinda leads me to suspect that there might possibly be a slightly higher concentration of autistic people among Magic players than among the general public.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

Nobody remembers Deadapult?

love the card flavour, hate the cost. get rid of {2} in the mana cost, or the {R} in the activated ability imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Needs the mana in the activated cost because it's 2 damage. An instant speed mana-free shock at any time would be fuuuucked.

Goblin Bombardment is an awkward card to iterate on in general because historically sacrificing creatures at no mana cost is kinda good, and doing damage with the sac outlet is probably too good with modern creature design and power. But make it cost anything else and it becomes instant garbage, as Barrage of Expendables demonstrates.

Barrage of Expendables fits the other thing I said, though. Zombiepult would be okay at R without any change to the ability itself. (At least in Limited)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That prestige art feels like it was taken from a Rage card.

Like if Ron Spencer took up watercolors.

Ron Spencer's done a ton of MTG art over the years, actually https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=%28artist%3ARon+artist%3ASpencer%29

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you play during Ikoria? It's the Ikoria godzilla treatment.

We'll also presumably see it for the secret lair walking dead/stranger things cards when those appear in The List.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wizards doesn't have a great track record at all, but I know plenty of lesbian couples irl who call each other their partners, so this could honestly go either way imo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

What's the source for this?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

hmm i may have been fooled!

i found the reddit post

honestly unsourced really recent spoilers aren't uncommon these days because you'll frequently have someone drop something on a stream and not post it to like twitter or whatever until hours later

also i doubt anyone is gonna go to the trouble to fake a cute but reasonably powered uncommon two-drop

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
rest in peace, yawgmoth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I almost get the feeling that everyone just wanted to do the vampire wedding set creatively and the werewolf set was just a bunch of extra poo poo added in to balance it out/create an extra product.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Reclusive Taxidermist reminds me of my old friend Werebear. A good card.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Do you exile them face down or face up? I feel like there's a big difference in value if your opponent knows what you've got so they can play around it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Abisteen posted:

I posted a few days back about getting my girlfriend into paper magic with me. It's going well and I got an Innistrad bundle just to open some packs to have some fun with. The first set booster inside that I cracked had this thing in it and although it is very funny I have like no context on why this exists or why they put it in the booster:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=476239

Basically set boosters have a chance to have rare or unusual or desirable cards from a whole host of other products, one of which is that card. That is a card that was designed and internally messed around with at playtesting for MtG, but was not officially "released" except in some of the random Mystery Booster products from last year. Because there's very low amounts of the playtesting cards from Mystery Boosters, they were also put in that extra card List for set boosters, and that's how you got it.

It's not tournament legal but it'll be fun for casual play with your girlfriend. It is a legitimate Magic card, no one messed with your packs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*AVGN voice* What were they thinking?? I’d rather have Edgar shove a blood token up my rear end than play this lovely card

I just want you to know this was note-perfect. Thank you very much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

this is incredibly underwhelming. a planeswalker that only cares about tokens and can't reliably create creature tokens. yikes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
how many cards have we even seen that just make creature tokens in and of themselves in this set

like not some triggered ability, not a disturb, just a thing you can play t1 or t2 to curve into this kaya?

e: i looked at mythicspoiler and came up with 0, so there better be a lingering souls reprint or something in those last 70 cards to make this remotely playable even in limited

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kalel posted:

who even asked for pioneer besides wotc

Ma and Pa Ingalls

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, there are literally no W/B 1 or 2 CMC spells that create a creature token immediately for Kaya to curve off of (at least that I see looking at the spoiler maybe I missed something). Honestly what the hell Wizards? There's got to be some kind of a Development fuckup there for sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Hunt for Specimens.

Unless you mean in draft? I don't think it's a development fuckup to spend design space supporting a mythic.

Yes, I meant Crimson Vow limited formats.

@flatluigi: I GUESS *flails arms around*

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder what Laurine will look like as the first piss commander in yellow.