Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Regular forums user Yawgmoth has passed away. Found out via a post in the Minneapolis thread after he missed D&D one night. I know he was a regular poster in this thread so I figured anyone who knew him has a right to know.

poo poo. he was a really cool poster. rest in peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nice reference to dark imposter, one of the best limited cards in avr

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Choose one or both:
· Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
· Target vampire you control deals damage equal to it's power to another target creature.

+1/-1 makes for a more interesting decision if it's meant to be one or both, which makes me think it got rebalanced or changed during development

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Windicate - 2WB Instant

Choose one:
- Destroy target permanent.
- Target player loses the game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the really attractive application of this countering spells cast from exile. this plus elite spellbinder is pretty funny

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also I thought Hexproof was replaced by Ward, or do Mythics break those kinda rules

this is the line that marshall sutcliffe keeps hocking on LR, but no, wotc intends for both to be used. it opens up design space by allowing them to make creatures that can be interacted with while still having some amount of protection against removal.

that said I think this design in particular is not great. it's going to be a pain to deal with in limited. At least it's not a dream trawler scenario because the thing is mythic and not rare

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

adding "opponent hovers over Kaya with no creature tokens on board, then concedes" to the innistrad midnight vow limited bingo board. a lot of people are going to gently caress up the +1 on prerelease weekend

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I feel like this standard meta is really quite varied, maybe as varied as standard can be, but it still feels boring to play because the smaller pool necessarily correlates to seeing the same decks/kinds of decks more frequently than in, say, modern or historic

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

maybe y'all should "fetch" some better posts, lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I don't have a horse in this race i just really wanted to make that joke

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

who even asked for pioneer besides wotc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Flooding out with a suspicious stowaway in your deck is a bummer. I keep looking at that card and wondering if it had constructed implications, it seems... so good to me, on its face

here's a deck pvddr made a video about with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqmG7cy6Uwc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Why would I play pioneer when instead I could have pie ‘n’ beer

maybe you should "pioneer" some better posts!!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

maybe i should "brainstorm" up some better posts

:crossarms:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Edit:this was a poorly phrased phone post, I'll let another rules lawyer exploit this posting opportunity

maybe you should "exploit" this opportunity... to make better posts

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If you have a good draft win rate or get mythic in draft or constructed you'll easily have enough WCs to have every standard deck you need.

[Narrator: drafting, unfortunately, is not easy.]

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Enchantment

Whenever a creature dies, create a Treasure token. Then if there is exactly one creature on the battlefield, that creature's controller wins the game.

0: Sacrifice ~. Any player may activate this ability and only if they control a number of creatures equal to or greater than half the total number of creatures on the battlefield.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Great news!

I think by "generic" they mean other cards can produce it besides toggo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is this sarcastic or sincere. I honestly can't tell

You are a great poster, Pablo Nergigante. This is not sarcasm.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if you have more than one copy of a specific basic land art in your deck you need to be locked up

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I wouldn't normally do this but this isn't a normal time for me:

I'm selling a bunch of sealed stuff in SA-Mart to help cushion my finances while I'm off work after losing my stepdad last week and taking care of my mom. In addition to the entire Ikoria collector hanger pack case, I'm breaking a second one up, $210 for 12 collector packs pulled sequentially from a freshly-opened case of 120.

If you're interested in anything and want to chip in a bit extra to help me out, it's greatly appreciated but not necessary. I'm trying to take a load off my plate while making sure my mom is okay(and, well, myself too).

sorry for your loss :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Do we have a discord for hanging out and chatting while streaming drafts? It could be fun and educational to talk through picks and plays.

check the op of the arena thread in games

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mmm. very nice.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Happy 100 pages everyone

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic the Gathering kicks rear end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

vaccines

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Arena's Midweek Magic Artisan competition (commons, uncommons, and basic lands only) is incredibly fun. But it would have been a lot more fun if the matchmaking only put you against other opponents who were doing the competition. I ended up in multiple matches against people who were playing a deck full of rares, so I'm pretty chuffed that I was able to pull out three wins in six games to get all the prizes.

that sounds like a bug. grab a screenshot next time it happens and submit a bug report to the arena people

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the weird thing about bundles is that they changed them to set boosters. who is in the market for set boosters that wouldn't want to just buy a box? they should have changed it to 12 draft boosters + accessories for 2 player sealed or 4 player draft so you can have some proper limited games with some pals

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I forget where I heard about this format for 4 drafters, I think it was called "one headed giant"? I might have made that up, but here's how it goes:

Drafting:
4 drafters, 6 boosters each (24 total)
You open a booster like normal but TAKE TWO CARDS, pass the rest to the left, as though you were drafting 2hg.
Draft the entire pack that way, 2 at at time -- the last pick will be 1 card, that's fine.
Second pack goes the other way like normal, third left again, etc -- LRLRLR
By the end of the draft you have six boosters packs worth of cards again (6*15=90)

Deckbuilding:
You make TWO decks using your drafted pool.
Assign one of your decks as A and the other as B.
Normally no sideboards needed, but if you have Learn/Lesson or Wish or other things that care about outside the game, assign those cards to each deck's sideboard.

Gameplay:
Best of 3 match against each opponent
Game 1: A vs A
Game 2: B vs B
Game 3 (if needed): Each player chooses the A or B deck THEIR OPPONENT plays with, and you play these off against each other. This is so you don't just sandbag one deck, both your decks need to be good!

neat. sounds like a much better version of the thing my friends and I do when we have an MTG meet up which is just "regular sealed but you make a good deck and a crappy deck in different colors"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I "vow" never play this garbage format ever again

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Thanks for the replies all, that makes sense! Always learning something new.

if you're into YouTube at all and you want to learn about some more weird interactions and rules, check out Judging FTW. He explains everything from basic level questions (1 star) to extremely niche and complicated interactions between cards (4 stars), and he also makes in depth videos about mechanics and judging. lots of neat little fun facts that help to wrap your brain around the game's complexity

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TacoNight posted:

Why an acorn symbol to indicate non-legality in eternal formats, when squirrels are legal in modern, including an acorn-shooting gun that uses acorn counters?

Maro and forscythe think squirrels are the height of comedy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"Squirrelsday resolves, I cast Brainsquirrel, cycle Squirrel Wraith, cycle Squirrel Wraith, Thassa's Squir-acle, do you have Force of Squirrel?" - someone in a legacy top 8 in 2024, probably

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's probably fine for historic to be rebalanced monthly if you're a whale and you can afford the wildcards to build a new deck every single month.

otherwise yeah it kind of sounds like dogshit.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they're gonna buff some random junk rares from past sets which sounds interesting in theory but in reality is going to create a wildcard churn that the economy can't support. every three months a number of cards in your collection will become worthless at the whim of wotcs balancing team. loving insane

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Standard was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better 4-5 years ago than it is now. Sure it might have always been worse than like Legacy but it's also true that it's on a downward trend in quality that I think is unarguable.

I'm less inclined to believe that's due to any design philosophy changes than just the format being solved so much faster due to arena. I did not play standard "back in the day" however so idk

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what everyone's personal favorite standard is probably coincides with their age tbh. magic is a lot more fun when you have the time and your parent's money to spend playing with your friends at the lgs on weekends when you're sixteen

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Standard has always been bad and/or good.

This tbqh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

They should do a flashback RTR-theros standard constructed queue in mtgo or arena so we can put this discussion to rest

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

why is everyone spelling monkey "monke"

monke, doge, catte, ratte, frogge

take any animal name + add an "e" to the end = internet cute speak. welcome to the internet, be safe out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ducke, deere, beare, donke just to name a few more. watch out for "birb" though, that's an irregular conjugate