Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Just gonna drop this back in here because I am still :lol:in about it:

Big "turn on your monitor" energy. (Turn off? I never remember that insult right.)

I've 1-3'd my last two drafts, and I did much better in AFR. I need to check 17lands for what I'm doing wrong... during the draft. During the game I'm passing the turn and royally messing up the day/night tracker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rinski posted:

hey folks! it's been—*checks post history* :negative:

a while. it's been a while since I last posted in a SA Magic thread. let's leave it at that.

I recently got back into the game, which seems like a good excuse to stream, so I can actually interact with other people because I've been feeling a bit cooped up recently.

I'll be streaming some standard brewing / MID drafts if you're interested in that stuff, or even if you simply want to yell at a stranger for not being a particularly powerful wizard. Maybe reminisce about how much you miss type 1.5, or how once you earned a "pro point" at a "GP," or how Shandalar remains the best piece of M:tG software ever created.

For reference, I'll be testing out lists with an Esika's Chariot + Teleportation Circle + Glorious Protector core wrapped in either an Abzan or Bant shell, because I only like playing Yorion decks when nobody else is.

Edit: Done for the day—thanks for stopping by! I wound up not liking the Bant build a ton and the Junk list wound up looking like this:

Oh drat, welcome back! I hope I get to catch one of your Cat Car blink deck streams.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a playmat of the day art and a playmat of the night art and switching it mid-game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's probably nothing, but has anyone else remembered that Lorwyn/Shadowmoor also had its main plot point be something messing with the day/night cycle?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Chariot will get banned because any time anything cat-related is good in Magic it gets banned. I take it personally.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

Felidar Guardian took a bullet because it was easily abused due to its timing but I don't think it's a good card.

Wild Nacatl
Cauldron Familiar
Lukka (sort of, the deck it was playable in got banned)
Felidar Guardian (Standard and then Pioneer I think?)
Lurrus

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I want to try that UR turns deck with a Poppet guy in it.

I bought a prerelease kit and built a sealed deck with it for playing at home, and Poppet is really fun. Probably not good enough for any constructed format because it needs to survive a whole turn, but in UB tokens in limited, they priced decayed tokens so cheap that it's easy to get a lethal amount of 3/3s.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
701.28f is correct, but a better question is why is she bereaved before any of her fellow creatures have died?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Kesswylie/status/1450865019206262785

I love this design. Does this mean New Capenna will have DFCs and investigate? Or is this only a super secret special card in set boosters convention edition whatever

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oh, okay. I thought the cards would be re-themed to be part of the set, but I wasn't sure if they'd appear in draft boosters as part of the actual set. I could see investigate being part of the set with some detective-y theme, but I've got DFC-exhaustion.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
RIP Yawgmoth, Heaven's got another Good Poster.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

Seems pretty weak to me, it's one of those cards that is a non-bo with itself. It does nothing unless you have good attacks, but spending turn three casting an enchantment means you're not likely to be the one ahead on board.

You need a very specific deck to make it work (and even then you're taking on a lot of risk), either lots of high power, low toughness creatures, or tons of evasion. I guess it plays well with the 1/1 flyer you posted?

I think it's good in limited, but it's not a card to play on curve. Mid-to-late game when both players are topdecking, maybe there's some good attacks if your creatures have trample, etc.

There's no use trying to argue with me, I'm mostly trying to talk myself into not feeling as bad when my opponent lands this and I watch them rip my best cards off the top of my deck. Like the opposite of Magical Christmasland.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just post the mana cost along with any tweeted spoilers, it's the easiest solution.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be have a sensible chuckle if the day/night thing with a permanent full moon doesn't involve Emrakul in any way.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

The MTG stories for Crimson Vow state that Emrakul getting shoved into the moon was the catalyst for this particular occurrence, but the day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia is just one of those things that happens on Innistrad because that's just how spooky town works apparently.

I still think it's weird that the creative team went to that "day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia" idea twice, on two separate creative worlds.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've not had as much fun with Magic in years as I do playing the precons. I do quick drafts on Arena, those are good enough for me, and to grind gold I'll play the precon that gets me my daily quest rewards. Does anyone know the algorithm for pairing? I remember when Arena came out people were guessing things like X number of rates/mythics or even cards in common with top decks. If I could make jank decks and play against people with jank decks I'd waste even more time.

Playing the precons seems to get me paired against people also playing precons, though. But sometimes I'll get paired up against a tier 1-ish Standard deck and blow them out because they didn't expect the UG Snow "Avalanche" deck to tap down their board, and that's a good feeling.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Why_Hary/status/1458108173907369988?t=D_BbHp_B-kcFYRUF9fcfzA&s=19

The version that most people will see is incorrect!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm really cised your pet deck went T1 wild. Such a great feeling and the only thing close is the joy of beating Johnny come lately's who picked up the deck because it's the current new hotness. You are such a fun person to have in here, couldn't have happened to a nicer wizard poker player

I hope the price on these boxes go into the toilet so I can pick one up on the cheap for a fun werewolves/vampire draft some time later

Make your own spooky Innistrad cube!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dracula Factory posted:

If it makes anyone feel better, I gave away all my cards years ago and arena turning sour for me is encouraging me to explore what I really originally liked about the game in it's social aspects. If I can get people to play my cube with me I definitely want to build one with lots of Un- cards because Unhinged got me back into the game for a bit and it ended up being a blast to play some of those cards with my friends as we learned to adapt around them, and of course tons of them could never work digitally.

I sold most of my cards and would like to do this, but I'm having a tough time exploring the social aspect of much of anything. I'd play Commander or Cube, but I don't want to sit around a table with strangers anymore. That's the ideal though, just buying singles and ignoring whatever Hasbro is trying to do with the game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You know those placeholder cards you sometimes find in packs that are just a Magic back with the front being totally black? We're getting closer to those as basic lands.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's way more sci-fi than I was expecting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtgartmarket/permalink/3210581435838720/

You can own the original rough color art for... whatever this is.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sick, I have a bunch of walls I need to cover here, did you order that from somewhere or just find a HQ source of the art and get it printed professionally?

If you or anyone wants Magic art, prints, cards autographed, or even original Magic art, I got the hook-ups. PM me!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

just play paper draft, the best format

although i'm gonna try to hold off on in-person drafting until we're down to at least 500 or less people a day dropping dead from covid

Me too. Core Set 2029 draft is going to be boring, but it'll be nice to hold physical cards again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Holds a gun to lurrus' head "just say when, WotC"
meanwhile, ragavan laughs in legacy

Stop banning cats please.

Framboise posted:

Fine with that. Too much has been coming out at once lately. It's been getting tougher to keep up with cards I wanna collect when it's getting harder to justify buying singles for what feels like every new set coming out each month and a half or so.

On the other hand, postponing the joke set from April 1st is the one thing that shouldn't get delayed. I hate April Fools Day (or what the internet made it into) but after the last two years, c'mon

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah The Wandering Emporer is real good. Might not have a home, but if it does, wow.

Some of those DFCs are real boring. What's the limited format look like where I want to wait three turns for a 2/2 with first strike?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

no sign of the ninja turtle yet

This is Splinter if there's a TMNT Secret Lair.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I've never heard a Hatsune Miko whatever song before, but it sounds exactly like I imagined it would. (Like I am old.)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm not prereleasing either because of the pandemic, but numbers are getting low enough that I might consider an in-person draft - for the first time in two years - in the spring.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My enjoyment of this limited format is going to be defined by how often I lose to Behold the Unspeakable or turn 2 Roaring Earth and so far it's not going my way. I really don't like mythic-level uncommons.

Agreed on the autotapper being horrible for this set. I had the flier that can clone an artifact for 1U, and played a 3/2 artifact creature with lifelink for 3B... and it tapped all my Islands for some reason and left me one Swamp and one Plains. Because I had a spell that cost 1B in my hand.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I like that Ninjas have a tempo theme instead of an "everything is unblockable" theme, it makes them more fun to play with. But I like bouncing and tapping down my opponent's creatures over and over.

The mythic dragons all have "dies" triggers, which aren't impossible to get past. They've got competitive stats for their mana cost, but there's even some rares that are scarier to see across the table.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge Binding of Isaac fan and remember being excited for Edmund McMillen's card, only to find out it was some creature that's unplayable in anything ever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Nah, Everyone had those indestructible clear sleeves with the jesters hat on the box. You are an imposter!

I still have some boxes sealed somewhere. I found green and black ones for sale a while ago. The black ones were okay, but you don't remember how slippery they were when they were brand new. Quality control wasn't what it is now, so there's little bumps sometimes, a couple of sleeves aren't cut right, etc. The green ones are super warped, they're basically only useable for tokens and other stuff I'll never shuffle; but they're a later model of those sleeves.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

I need a sanity check. My end goal is to create a bunch of decks out of my collection that I can treat as another board game in my closet for when friends come over.

I sold everything worth more than $5, so my remaining collection is stuff that's mostly unplayable outside of limited. I thought about making set cubes, but my friends don't have any interest in drafting. Standard decks are right out since I don't have the competency to "modify down" expensive decklists to fit my card pool while maintaining power balance. I don't want to go pauper because I still want to use SOME of the uncommons and rares, and I definitely don't want to buy more commons in case I need extras for competitive pauper decks.

So I had the idea of putting together "false draft" decks, which would basically be 40-card decks that look like something you would cobble together in an average draft. They'd be mostly commons, a few uncommons, and a bomb rare or two. Each deck would be built on a popular draft archetype, since I can find lists and explanations of those for each set. For example, I did some research on Innistrad 2011 drafting and I would build Spirits, Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies. I would try to make sure that no one deck had a card that was wildly stronger than any card in the other decks, even if it would normally be a great pick for a draft.

1) Are there any downsides you vets can identify with this idea, given my goal and my resources?
2) Should I go ahead and make 60-card decks so I can use a bigger variety of lower-powered cards to make the games a bit slower and less predictable? Or is 40 going to be more "fun" on average?
3) Are set blocks made to be drafted together? If so, would I be better off making decks for each individual set, or decks that take cards from a whole block?
4) Right now I'm just googling and reading random draft format reviews from years ago, does anyone have a favorite resource for post-mortem evaluations of draft environments?

As a fun exercise during the worst parts of the pandemic, I grabbed a playset of every common and uncommon from the most recent set at the time and made theme decks. They actually ended up helping me learn limited strategies, at least what the relative power level of each archetype was and which cards were sleeper hits. They played well together because it's essentially what R&D designs the commons and uncommons to do for limited anyway. Stick to one set, and if you have friends who are opening packs, chances are they're happy to donate you the bulk they were going to shove in a box anyway.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gavin Verhey put out a video with some hints about New Capenna and I don't think it was posted here. He goes over the five factions: Bant = Corrupt Lawyers, Esper = Precog Crime Unit, Grixis = Art in the front, assassins in the back, Jund = Construction, Naya = Jazz partying influencers. There's some random hints too, one of which stood out to me was that there's tons of returning one-of mechanics, including one that surprised Gavin to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSjce9ltGg

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

given the gdc news and the news from basically every convention i've heard i really hope they delay organized play some more

What's this news? Only thing I could find was that attendance was down by over half from pre-pandemic times, is that it? That there might be fewer players?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is the story really over or do they put out more? I never follow the story, but the plot beats on this one sounded cool. Kind of a bizarre choice to tell the complete story they're going to tell of this place before we see cards of nearly any of the characters. Hard to bridge the gap between Vorthoses and the rest of the player types when there's nothing to connect.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Unrelated to spoiler season, but is there a good heuristic/quick math you can do to figure out your chances of getting a hit off a spin effect (Kinnan, Winota, etc.)?

Like if I have ten big payoffs left in my deck, and my library has ~85 cards, and I spin Kinnan, what are my chances of hitting a big payoff?

A hypergeometric calculator? I used to use those to figure out my odds of drawing lands.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Did I do this right?

A ~40% chance of getting a hit?

I think that's the odds for exactly one hit. The bottom one where it's >= 1 is probably what you want. I'm not a maths man though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Bant one sucks, but there's some nice Naya cards for Rin and Seri, so I'm happy. The cat therapist (catherapist) might be a surprise wincon, too.