Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I played sealed and now remember why i hate sealed

The sealed experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do people play sealed outside of pre-release?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

goferchan posted:

Huh, now that I'm looking at scryfall, I didn't realize that they just went with the "anything that damages target player can also damage target planeswalker" thing for several sets; I thought that was just a way to errata pre-PW cards to give more avenues of interaction. Looks like good old Hero's Downfall was the first "target creature or planeswalker" card.

It was slightly more complicated than that in a way that created highly unintuitive edge cases. The Planeswalker Redirection Rule made it so whenever you targeted a player with something that would deal damage you had the option to, on resolution, have it deal damage to a Planeswalker they controlled instead. This meant you couldn't bolt a walker if they had a leyline, and that you didn't know what they were going to hit before you responded.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I would buy secret lair: gargoyle cards but it's a picture of ron paul

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

They need to do a Creature - Vampire Werewolf.

Secret Lair: AdventureQuest

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'm absolutely certain they just didn't want to add more vocab words. Personally I'd say it's intuitive enough, but I've taught enough people to play to know that the vocab is a huge barrier.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Darkoni posted:

They kind of have that for death triggers. Isn't 'death' just 'a creature is destroyed and is moved to the graveyard'? It more or less works because of people's understanding of the relationship between living things, death, and graveyards. But despite the mechanics of the game working the same way other permanents can't die. Artifacts and enchantments aren't living things and planeswalkers just gtfo. So it's easy to understand what dies means in the context of the rules, I think.

I think why they don't keyword ETB is that there is a benefit to bluntly state the rules and context for such a common and simple trigger. Does etb go back to alpha? If it does it's probably a hold over from that. They also recently keyworded mill so it could be just a matter of time too.

'dies' technically works for any permanent, they just don't use it when referring to noncreatues. It just means 'moves to the graveyard from the battlefield'. The reason it works so well though is it just makes sense, especially with the graveyard being called what it is.

Replacing etb with another word saves a few letters, which isn't often that important, but requires a new player to learn another concept, that 'whatever' means 'moves to the battlefield', whereas 'enters the battlefield' only requires knowing what the battlefield is, something required to play and pretty simple, 'enters' more-or-less uses it's normal English meaning, it's not a defined term in magic outside of the specific phrase.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, yes they do. It was "comes into play" between portal and M10, which then you had "in play" the zone, "play" the verb, and "cast" the verb. We've still got the play/cast issue, but at least play only means one thing now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, if it says 'play' you can play lands, if it says 'cast' you can't.

Lone Goat pointed out the from 6th edition to M10 they didn't use the term 'cast', just 'play'. It looks like they spell out whatever subset they wanted you to be able to play.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you don't buy these you can't play day/night cards in that "you can only play cards you own the art for" format.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean if you want to show 'true vintage power' without all the ways the vintage metagame has shaped decks just build storm. Then draw an opening hand and realize you don't have the first idea of how to play storm.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

quote:

Has any discussion taken place about simply creating strictly better versions of all the cards on the reserve list by giving them say a very minor upside thereby not being very functionally identical? I'm sure you can imagine a hundred ways so I won't list any, but the originals would still see use I'm sure in formats like Commander while solving the main issue for eternal formats. Has this ever been considered?

Maro posted:

I can’t get into details, but I don’t think you understand the core problem. Undermining the point of the Reserved List without technically getting rid of the Reserved List doesn’t solve the problem.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/663607844317298688/has-any-discussion-taken-place-about-simply

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Thranguy posted:

Isn't changing creature types enough to get around it there?

Nah, even by the letter creature type alone isn't enough.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

They basically did this already, multiple times, and the complaints are dumb because for limited it makes almost no difference that they can't reprint literal Thunder Spirit:

Dies to Tim.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

i wish they'd at least treat mechanics in the same way as when there were blocks. it's exhausting now, going through major mechanical innovations like Learn/Lesson and Dungeons in just a single set and then completely abandoning them. like yeah it was annoying that Energy was too good for too long but this is the opposite and it's like... i dunno

i think Learn/Lesson in particular is a design space that's begging for all kinds of cool stuff, surely they'll print more of them some day, and maybe an alternate set of 3 Dungeons some day as well

One of their stated reasons for stopping that was that they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel by the time set 3 came around, but I get where you're coming from.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Seems like a niche case work around, and 99% of the time you'll be the one putting that effect on their creatures to begin with, so you can just not cast one of the two if it's that big a problem.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nibble posted:

Tbh I think I'd feel worse if I opened a powerful card, built a deck around it, played it in a game, then found out my opponent has a card that makes me instantly lose the game because I played my good card.

I had to look up the "banned" cards out of curiosity, and I can't decide if this wording is quaint or just janky.

Janky, but a wild improvement over what else was out there. 90s tcgs would have benefited a lot if they were all this explicit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That's how I've always heard it. "I terror it." "Doesn't work."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Makes you wonder if these games would have done any better if magic hadn't already claimed the most straightforward terms.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Lsv has a day job.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

One part they did it in zendikar 2 and the fat packs were sold out everywhere since people were buying them just for the lands, one (thousand) part this way you have to buy more packs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Koirhor posted:

When did we close down?

March 15-17 2020.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That's the one that comes with the playtest cards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Jiro posted:

Nope, talking about this one

That one is direct MTG WotC store

Ships from: seg mart

Sold by: seg mart

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

whydirt posted:

I think the issue is that the rules currently don’t differentiate between regular and extra turns. They could be rewritten, but it’d take more than just hand waving the problem away.

They can! I'm not up on standard, but given that extra turn cards have been around forever and only timewalk was any good, I'm inclined to believe the issue is with the formats that support these decks, rather than extra turns as a mechanic, unless they never intend to shift the format as needed to prevent this.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Compromise: Allow time walk effects but every time you play one you have to play the entire time warp song from Rocky horror and do all the dance moves perfectly or else it gets countered and exiled.

Doesn't seem like enough of a downside. I mean, it's just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

At absolute minimum it's an explore that untaps your mana for 5. With a reasonable game plan it's often going to generate a bunch of mana, provide an extra attack step, and/or give a bunch of once a turn value on top of that.

Sounds like it's time to do a 2021 worldwake standard tournament.

I'm not kidding, let's do it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Call me callous, but anyone dumb enough to buy a collectable being pitched as an investment opportunity deserves what they get, regardless of how unethical it is to advertise them as such to begin with. There's no end of evidence to how these things invariably turn out, or the conditions needed for collectables to actually become valuable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I'd outlaw advertising collectables as investments / likely to appreciate if I could, but in the post beanie baby / comic / etc boom world I ain't gonna feel bad for anyone who thinks "this time it'll be different".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

triple sulk posted:

At this point I thought about making a separate thread just for all the drama.

Probs not a bad idea, but until then, what are all the people who were saying "the unlimited edition will never go out of print" saying now?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ChromiumCrush posted:

To say the Judge promos are anything but literal payment for being a judge is idiotic. Also, both Rudy and FnB know exactly what they're doing. In the last 100 years there's been 1 TCG that has broken into longevity without some kind of pop culture presence preceding or rising alongside it. FnB knows it will be dead soon and so they're miliking it to the extreme as quick possible.

Everyone buying limited boxes to sit on here are just as dumb as those buying Rudy's promo card.

They (i.e. the 3rd party that wotc sells the promos to originally) charge $100 / set now for the promos. I dunno how JA manages membership or if like anyone can buy a set.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sickening posted:

On the topic of grifters and grifting, the judges academy is still a thing?

Need to have someone stay up to date on all the digital errata.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Chakan posted:

Reading through this now and it seems like there's an emphasis on space being some big difference, but I haven't gotten to the part where they discuss other IPs, so I don't know if they agree with me that it's a much bigger difference than just magic becoming a little more Spelljammer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/as-magic-the-gathering-grows-fans-dont-know-what-its-future-holds

For the first part at least, Maro has said about as directly as he's ever said anything concerning future topics that NeoKamigawa won't be high technology. UB is a whole different story.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

The pearl clutching over the recent assault on Magic's canon always seemed weird to me given how often people seem to complain about the poor quality of the general story. Any successes seem to revolve around specific planes and designs rather than the worldbuilding as a whole

Weatherlight was reputedly terrible, but after that there wasn't much story for the longest time, unless you wanted to go read the books. Except for that period from 97-01 until like, maybe the start of the gatewatch in 2015, most people only knew as much about the 'story' as could be gleaned from the cards, and there wasn't enough on the cards to put it all together. But the flavor was popular with the people playing, and had overarching boundaries ranging from Mirrodin to Lorwyn such that it felt like a diverse multiverse while still being a fundamentally fantasy game. The latest changes go against that constant, which is jarring people who've been involved with the game for a substantial length of time, even if they never cared about the specifics.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have absolutely no idea how Yu-Gi-Oh works. Would watching the anime help

Not at all. Ygo has like 1 keyword and it's not good, everything else is spelled out. Just walls of text, and a relatively tiny texbox.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think Yugi's hair looks pretty stupid. Also I didn't realize until now that the manga/anime came first and then they made the TCG based on it

Apparently it was all sorts of different games at first until they eventually, but pretty early on, did a riff on Magic that was really popular so they just rolled with it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Artifice has always been an important part of Magics setting, though the post-industrial-revolution-ness of Kaldesh is somewhat qualmsome. I don't get the complaint about Ixilan though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

the core conceit of ixalan is dinosaurs vs pirates

Oh, ok, that makes sense.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

His superpower was literally being able to cheat any card to the top of his deck. Its like, explicit

That's just because he believes in the heart of the cards.

I've only seen like 4 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I think the issue is that Partner is wildly broken if you can just pick any two, so this is an effort to rein that in. Presumably the other ST cards have it too.

E: confirmed separate by Forsythe. I'd expect more variants in the future.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1448667016986959879?s=21

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 14, 2021